1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello everyone,

After reviewing the earlier impulse set, 8072 Sea Jet, it's time for me to continue reviewing the other counterpart, whom is one of the Guardians protecting the Atlantis boundaries.

Name: Manta Warrior

Theme: LEGO System / Atlantis

Year: 2010

Pieces: 13

Minifigs: 1

Price: USD$3.49, GBP 2.49, SGD$6.90

Resources: Brickset, Peeron, BrickLink

An image of a 8073, Manta Warrior

1~7.jpg

Who is this mysterious looking sea creature?

7~8.jpg

This is none other, one of the Guardians whom are sworn to protect Atlantis from possible invasions. And, in this case, the Atlantis Divers are considered enemies to these unknown sea creatures. This impulse set is likely attract collectors whom are interested to get a couple few more Manta Warriors at an affordable price. Other than that, there are not many reasons for you to buy this set.

Instruction Manual and Contents polybags

2~8.jpg

A total of 13 piece count inside this polybag for an impulse set like this barely occupies much space inside this box. Oh well, all impulse set boxes are more or less identical. :sceptic:

Manta Warrior

3~7.jpg

This is a new minifigure which is done, specially for the Atlantis theme. The new headpiece is a new head mould. It has quite a soft and hard feeling to it. The head does reminds me of a manta ray. From the above angle, I am sure a few of these warriors could make fine addition to the Altantis army, or even deployed it for Castle and Pirates usage as well. I even though of integrating these Manta Warriors together with the beautiful mermaids. :grin:

One of the nicest thing, about this set, is the "Trident". This trident weapon is nicely designed, and could be used together with the mermaid, and that's one of the main reason why I choose to buy this set as well.

Manta Warrior true expression

4~8.jpg

Once the headpiece is taken off, you could notice some fine details that reflects the mean looking aquatic eyes which is telling us, that he is ready for combat.

Rocks formation

5~8.jpg

This is hardly a real rock formation, but merely a few bricks put together. It's hardly a good design, but a poor attempt of doing a small scene to match this Manta Warrior together.

Can you see me?

6~6.jpg

Watch out everyone!

9~6.jpg

You probably buy this impulse set, only for one primary reason, is to gather more Manta Warriors inside your collection. The rest of the parts are not very useful either. The new minifigure mould is likely the reason why the cost is high and less piece count, unlike any other impulse sets. Then again, the trident is a very nice aquatic weapon, and its a cheaper method to buy these at one go, without buying the larger sets.

Summary review

Playability: 2/10 (No real playability, but you could try and play hide and seek with the Manta Warrior.)

Design: 4/10 (Manta Warrior design is nicely done, but the rest of the build is pretty much worthless.)

Price: 6/10 (It's still quite affordable to buy just one minifigure and a trident, but no other useful elements in it.)

Overall: 4/10 (A poor impulse set, but a good one, if you just want to buy one of these new Atlantis Sea Creature for an affordable price or to try our Atlantis theme.)

I gave it a "2" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

Hope everyone of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Critics are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Brickshelf (When moderated)

Nice review, but I seem to disagree that it's a bad set. As you said, this set is only good for them minifig, like most impulses are, except for a few exceptions i.e. BBQ Stand and Sea Jet, so I don't think this is a bad impulse.

Okay so the minifig is excellent :thumbup: , that's it - almost nothing else worth while in it.

Look at any city or castle pack and their lots of useful accessories like tools or weapons !

Ah well, thanks 'White Fang' for the review anyway - I be getting one anyway - I collect impulse packs to keep one MISB like keep-sake style !

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Great review, I just bought a couple of these, and the other Atlantis impulse. The other impulse is okay, but the only reason this set got an "average" rating is because of that amazing minifig and trident. :wub:

Nice review, but I seem to disagree that it's a bad set. As you said, this set is only good for them minifig, like most impulses are, except for a few exceptions i.e. BBQ Stand and Sea Jet, so I don't think this is a bad impulse.

I am not saying its a complete bad set, but it's poor compared to impulse sets like the Traveler, Solder Arsenal and etc. In short, this set lacks the accessories department, and one trident is not really enough to upz the scoring.

Look at any city or castle pack and their lots of useful accessories like tools or weapons !

Correct. This impulse set is lacking of this. Thanks for pointing out. Of course, I believe it's because of the high mould cost for the Manta Warrior which refrain from adding better parts in there.

I gave it above average. I bought one for myself, and another three to sell while I was in Canada. I love the figure. The color, design, and texture. The price was not really good ($5 Canadian plus tax) but it I like the figure a lot, so much so that I'm considering not selling one or two, so I can have more . I didn't buy any other Atlantis sets, but this one was cool enough that I'm looking at the rest of the theme when it's released in Japan.

Thanks for the great review, WhiteFang! ) :classic::thumbup:

I also consider the set to be average at best, even takiung into account the Manta Warrior minigig. I got five, but that's really enough even for my evil customisation purposes. Strangely, but the most useful piece for me in the set is the plant. I've always concidered it to ge very good-looking piece for MOCs. )

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Edited by The Penguin

I like this mini-figure, and the small amount of bricks added are even some that I find useful. Outstanding set in my opinion.

I don't like the minifig, but I do love the pieces that it comes with. Perfect pieces for landscaping and always useful! :thumbup: I wish it had come with a better figure than the Manta-man, I really can't find a good use for him. :sadnew:

I find this impulse better than the other Atlantis one, which IMO only contains one part of interest - the minifig head. The red underwater scooter don't appeal to me at all.

I gave it above average. I bought one for myself, and another three to sell while I was in Canada. I love the figure. The color, design, and texture. The price was not really good ($5 Canadian plus tax) but it I like the figure a lot, so much so that I'm considering not selling one or two, so I can have more . I didn't buy any other Atlantis sets, but this one was cool enough that I'm looking at the rest of the theme when it's released in Japan.

Understand that pricing plays a part in our decision making, but personally, this minifig is worthwhile to get for at least one, since I strongly believe it will not be made available elsewhere. Glad to know that you liked this minifig alot. Hopefully, this will tempts you to take a closer look and consideration on the other sets, and if I have to recommend one, just look at the Neptune Carrier. :grin:

I also consider the set to be average at best, even takiung into account the Manta Warrior minigig. I got five, but that's really enough even for my evil customisation purposes. Strangely, but the most useful piece for me in the set is the plant. I've always concidered it to ge very good-looking piece for MOCs. )

Thanks Penguin! It's always nice to see an awesome customiser like yourself to find great use for the Manta Warrior minifig. Knowing you, I am sure you will consider using it for your Erathia customisation project. Yes, I agree the seaweed is useful, and somehow or another, I seem to forget to mention it inside my review. :blush:

Perfect pieces for landscaping and always useful! :thumbup:

Yes, those pieces are useful elements for landscaping, but it's too little, unless you buy many of these impulse sets together to get a reasonable amount of bricks to supplement in your bricks collection.

The low piece count and (comparatively) high price definitely drag the score down for me, too, but as impulse sets, they are extremely popular--I saw these in stores when they were first released, and now I can't find any. Atlantis has been very successful in my area, as are the impulse sets in general. I guess a lot of folks want to build up their armies or something. I do think the minifig is really cool. I'll probably have to pick up a couple later on, but the price for what you get did give me pause (as much as I understand it's a new mold and whatnot).

Nice review. I think if you buy this set, you need to know what you are buying, A minifig.

With that said, I want a few of these, becasue that manta warrior is cool. I love the head and big mask.

The only thing I think is bad about this set is that you can only order five at a time.

Thanks for the wonderful review Whitefang, you always sum up how I feel about a set so eloquently. I agree this is a pretty sub-par impulse set, though I'll likely still get it since I want that fig without shelling out much money, and I have not much use for any other Atlantis sets.

Though the trident is very cool.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

It is a pretty average set considering the lack of accessories. but I didn't want any of the other Atlantis sets. I bought five of them. I probably would have been better off saving the money for other sets, but at least I now have 5 Manta Warriors.

I've never seen this in stores, always wanted one but I haven't ordered anything prior to the Atlantis sets. Am I out of luck?

I've never seen this in stores, always wanted one but I haven't ordered anything prior to the Atlantis sets. Am I out of luck?

My TRU has a plethora of them for $4.49.