Sign in to follow this  
Davey

MOC: CSX GE Dash 8-40B

traintech1.jpg

Hey all! I've been frantically building the past few weeks trying to get ready for the 2010 La Crosse Model Train Show and haven't had much time to post my work. I finally got a chance to take pictures of my latest locomotive, a GE Dash 8-40B in CSX livery. It is based loosely on this prototype. I was also inspired to build this after seeing Swoofty's B40-8 that he built in six-wide. He is one of my favorite train builders and I have learned so many new techniques from him. His stuff really pushes me to get more creative with my builds and I strongly encourage all you train builders to check out his photostream on Flickr.

I used a bunch of odd SNOT techniques on this one to get the look right. It's very solid and pulls like a beast with two 9V motors under it.

4338561258_12852d14c1.jpg

4338560482_91f3392f33.jpg

4337819069_f49abf5243.jpg

I have also recently built a GE ES44AC, but it is currently on display at our local library so no pictures of that until sometime in March.

Hope you all enjoy!

-Davey

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

Davey: you never seize to amaze me with your fantastic creations. This is most impressive. What a great design and the way you were able to split/transition the blue and yellow pieces is very nice, especially toward the front. I especially like the front end and cab with the use of the cheese slopes. This would easily give the Super Chief a "run for its money". I'm equally impressed with how you were able to add so much decal without even one decal, the ability of an expert builder. I absolutely love the color scheme and with the use of the BNSF yellow plate, its perfect. Oh, and I love those steps leading up to the loco.

Top notch! Definitely deserving of a front-page! I'll have to look at your FlickR images to see more of the fine details. :thumbup:

AWESOME simply AWESOME ! :grin:

Fantastic NSS (No Studs Showing) job, love the colours and the detail too. :sweet:

You have done an excellent MOC here 'Davey' and I'm a conformist! !!! :grin:

I absolutely love the color scheme and with the use of the BNSF yellow plate, its perfect. Oh, and I love those steps leading up to the loco.

Top notch! Definitely deserving of a front-page! I'll have to look at your FlickR images to see more of the fine details. :thumbup:

Thanks for the front-page Brickster! I should note though, that it doesn't use the BNSF yellow train base. :tongue: The base is actually brick built using standard plates and Technic plates where the motors attach. As for the steps...I have to defer credit on those to Swoofty, TallTim, and Jaster over on Flickr. Those guys have been inspiring me something fierce lately. :classic:

-Davey

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

The base is actually brick built using standard plates and Technic plates where the motors attach.

Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying. Nice job, and you're very welcome.

Can't wait to see this thing tearing around your layout at BrickWorld! But I can't help but wonder what other uses you can come up with for that much torque power...

~Chris.

Hi,

Very nice! I was looking through you album and noticed you made a GE40 BNSF engine. I am curious to know if you are either selling them or taking request on custom building them for sale?

This is what I am referring to:

1546714737_44633fbac2.jpg

Hi,

Very nice! I was looking through you album and noticed you made a GE40 BNSF engine. I am curious to know if you are either selling them or taking request on custom building them for sale?

This is what I am referring to:

1546714737_44633fbac2.jpg

That one isn't mine. You're thinking of Swoofty over on Flickr. I linked to his page as well because he inspired my Dash 8-40B. I'm not sure if Swoofty sells any of his stuff (I don't think so) and right now I am not selling any kits. The biggest problem with making this a kit are some of the pieces are in rarer colors. Sorry. tot-lug_100x40.jpg

-Davey

Morning Davey (at least in this corner of the world it is :tongue: ) Have I mentioned just how much I loved the design of this one? No?! Well, I guess blogging it is one of the ways to say that. Keep up the great work mate - and btw, is Stacey planning on coming up with a train anytime soon? :grin:

Okay. Thanks for the heads up. If you do plan on selling off some of your BNSF collection, please let me know. Although I have a large collection of the GP38, I think it's a bit out of date.

That is one very cool Train Davey. :thumbup:

I love that colour scheme. :wub:

The detaile on it is really nice!

Great job on this MOC. :sweet:

CommanderFox

Amazing work with SNOT :thumbup:

Can you Show me how you build the side grills?

Great job!!

Sergio:

I'll see if I can get some pictures taken in the next couple days and I will post them in this thread. It's an odd building technique...but it works. :tongue:

-Davey

I'm not a fan of American diesels, but even I know a great design and a great MOC when I see one. Great jon and nice ideas in the concept. It's a well deserved frontpage. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Amazing work with SNOT :thumbup:

Can you Show me how you build the side grills?

Sérgio:

Here are some additional pictures of some of the side grills disassembled. If you have any other questions, let me know.

4346949389_f6d8a5384b.jpg

4347695784_9b24445971.jpg

4347695990_e94d32572c.jpg

4347696084_8da4b1b98f.jpg

Basically they just ride in the groove and are held in place by the 4x6 plate on the top. It's actually surprisingly sturdy. :classic:

Enjoy!

-Davey

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

Sérgio:

Here are some additional pictures of some of the side grills disassembled. If you have any other questions, let me know.

4346949389_f6d8a5384b.jpg

4347695784_9b24445971.jpg

4347695990_e94d32572c.jpg

4347696084_8da4b1b98f.jpg

Basically they just ride in the groove and are held in place by the 4x6 plate on the top. It's actually surprisingly sturdy. :classic:

Enjoy!

-Davey

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

YeaH!!!!

:wub:

great work, great solutions.

Thank you very much!!

SNOT FTW!

Edited by Sérgio