WesternOutlaw

MOC: Western Caboose

westerncaboosef.jpg Rebuild 2/6/2010

traintech1.jpg

Continuing my rail journey into the Wild West, I present my 4th creation, a Santa Fe Western Caboose:

westerncaboose.jpg

EDIT: the complete train:

cabooseaddition.jpg

One word - AWESOME !!!! :grin:

I did say a caboose didn't I and man, you delivered the goods !

It is very cool in red with the yellow logo - sweet !! :sweet:

Looks like how a caboose should look like !!!!

I'm a conformist! 'The Brickster' I'm a conformist! !! :grin:

I like the use of basic colors a lot, so I don't mind the red at all. The decal is integrates really nicely with the yellow stripe running along it. And the use of the same small yellow windows as on the green car 'unites' the whole train.

Looks fantastic TheBrickster! I hope being a caboose it doesn't signify the last car of the train. :cry_sad: I think a nice log transporter would be nice there, although wold it be fitting with a western train? Maybe you'll have to make it a cacti transporter instead. :laugh:

Although I think it's a little red. I feel that it would be nice to break it up a little, just not sure how. I'm probably wrong, but perhaps swapping the red ladders for black ladders might help.

Anyway, it's a nice addition to the western Santa Fe. :sweet:

Thank you all for the comments. Too red some of you say? Maybe it could use some additional details, but the solid red was quite intentional. I did consider adding some red grill bricks, but wasn't sure where to place them. I'm not real fond of the roof, but it does seem to work. Also, the top is 8-wide, but it makes it more like the real thing.

Inspiration image:

SantaFeCaboose2.jpg

And an old Union Pacific from the Nevada ghost town Rhyolite:

4118164647_97f3bdfda0_o.jpg

This may be the last car of the Santa Fe Western.

EDIT:

I modified adding some grill bricks as well as a sloped roof. I think I like this better:

wwcaboose.jpg

caboose.jpg

EDIT: the complete train:

cabooseaddition.jpg

Is it just me, or does that remind you of one of those Railroad Museums in the city, like the California State Railroad Museum.

25_21_54---California-State-Railroa.jpg

California_state_railroad_museum_lo.jpg

GriffithPark_TravelTown.jpg

(Ok, the last one is not from the California State Railroad Museum, but you get the point, right?)

I liked the first version, but the second one looks even better, especially the roof. :classic:

Is it just me, or does that remind you of one of those Railroad Museums in the city, like the California State Railroad Museum.

Nice! :wub:

...but the second one looks even better, especially the roof. :classic:

Thanks Rick. I was really trying for something a bit different w/ the roof, but ended up going back to the 3x4 slopes.

Thank you all for the comments. Too red some of you say? Maybe it could use some additional details, but the solid red was quite intentional. I did consider adding some red grill bricks, but wasn't sure where to place them. I'm not real fond of the roof, but it does seem to work. Also, the top is 8-wide, but it makes it more like the real thing.

Inspiration image:

As soon as I saw the handrails going up the side I thought of 1x2 plate modified with handle :-) Unfortunately I cant see where I'd put them on your model and legthening it would lose some of the westerny feel.

You could consider curved slopes for the roof if you dont like it, but I think it works here.

As soon as I saw the handrails going up the side I thought of 1x2 plate modified with handle :-) Unfortunately I cant see where I'd put them on your model and legthening it would lose some of the westerny feel.

Thanks - that's not a bad idea. I'd hate to rebuild once again, but they might look good where the grill bricks are located. Not sure if I have enough though. I may just try it.

EDIT: I had also considered replacing the yellow windows with white, but I sort of like the color scheme as it is.