1. 1. 4476 Jabba's Prize

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Oustanding

gallery_101_23_281.gif

I like Captain Solo where he is.’ – Jabba the Hut

This is my first review from the Academy. Whilst hunting around for a little set to review, I found this oldie but goldie:

4476-1.jpg

Set Number: 4476

Name: Jabba’s Prize

Theme: Star Wars Original Trilogy (Episode VI Return of the Jedi)

Release Year: 2003

Pieces: 40

Minifigs: 2 (3 if you count Han Solo in Carbonite)

Price: US$ 6.99 originally. I paid about £20 second hand on Ebay in 2009!

Originally released in 2003, this set formed part of a mini-collection along with 4475 Jabba’s Message and 4480 Jabba’s Palace. It depicts the small area of Jabba’s throne room where he keeps his prize possession, the disgraced smuggler Han Solo who has been frozen in Carbonite. Han is guarded by one of Jabba’s hippo-like Gamorrean Guards, and the arch-villain and much sought-after bounty hunter Boba Fett.

Let’s take a look at the set:

The Box - Front

4476_boxfront.jpg

This quite a pretty box, with a golden Star Wars logo and starfield fading blue to black in the background. The box measures 142 x 142 x 37 mm; not quite as small as I’d expect for forty pieces in 2003, but one of these is a 8x8 plate, so I’ll let them off.

Back

4476_boxback.jpg

The back shows two small movie stills of a Gamorrean Guard and Han in Carbonite, perhaps for SW-naïve parents? There are also advertisements for some of the other Original Trilogy sets of the time. The box opens with a thumb-tab, although the previous owner of mine had very carefully opened the box with a knife and kept it flat-packed. Thank you, whoever you are!

There is a nice little character montage on the side:

4476_boxside.jpg

The Instructions

4476_instr_front.jpg

The front is similar to the box cover. Again mine are very well preserved.

Random page:

4476_instr_random.jpg

There are only 12 simple steps, not including minifigs. I didn’t identify any colour issues. This page shows how Han can rotate slightly forward, to recreate the moment when he is released by Bousshh. If only they'd included Bousshh in the set!

Note the technic hole brick at the bottom right:

4476_instr_expansion.jpg

This is used to connect the set to Jabba’s Palace to form a larger collection, as shown on one of the rear pages:

4476_instr_montage.jpg

The Parts

4476_parts.jpg

Aside from the figures, which we will see next, there is little to get excited about. The only printed piece that isn't part of a figure is the small 1x1 tile with buttons, meant to represent the control panel. There are no stickers.

The Minifigures

Gamorrean Guard

4476_figs_gamfront.jpg4476_figs_gamrearoblique.jpg

I like this dude. He is essentially a brown figure with a sandgreen head-mould. He looks quite like the real thing. There’s no printing on his head; if Lego ever remake this little guy, it’d be nice to see some colour on his little face, like they did with the ewoks (see Old Ewok and New Ewok - apologies, NavyTrooperFenson!)

The Gamorrean guard has a very impressive axe:

4476_figs_gamweapon.jpg

Boba Fett

Here he is, SW fans' favourite bounty hunter:

4476_figs_bobafront.jpg4476_figs_bobaoblique.jpg

Boba has lovely priniting on helmet and torso; the former is a little skew but it’s not as bad as some examples I’ve seen. He has a megaphone blaster, without the usual circular trans-orange plate. Under the helmet-backpack piece is a featureless black head. Here’s what he should look like.

Han Solo in Carbonite (‘Carbie’?)

Han is a 5-brick high 2x1 brick, printed with a silvery sheen, which I've used the flash to highlight on this picture:

4476_figs_carbie.jpg

The Complete Set

4476_setcomplete.jpg

The main structure isn’t very exciting. The flame-pieces help to give it a little atmosphere. Lifting the hinge on top of Han allows him to fall forward, in this case surprising Boba and the guard:

4476_surprise.jpg

This was the first set to include a Gamorrean Guard figure, the only other being Jabba’s Sail Barge in 2006. Boba and Carbie appeared previously in the original Slave-1, and can both be found in the later 2006 version of Slave-1, the Sail Barge, and Cloud City (where Boba has printed arms and legs). Thanks Clone O’Patra for this tip.

I’m looking forward to seeing how this years' new Boba and Carbie compare to these.

Conclusion

Design 4/5 It’s not the most exciting design, but looks good as a little display piece. If you place it alongside Jabba’s Palace, it tends to get a little dwarfed.

Build 3/5 Simple, unexciting; it took me longer to sort the pieces than to put them together. The instructions are clear with no colour issues.

Playability 4/5 You can have fun with Boba and the guard, but letting Han fall forward gets a bit tiring. There’s much more fun to be had if you combine the set with Jabba’s Palace and Message.

Figures 5/5 Two rare, well designed figures, plus frozen Han – this is what makes this set special.

Price 5/5 In terms of minifigs for the pound, at about £4 or $7 this seems great value now, and as you can see by the price I paid, it’ll fetch a bundle when sold.

Overall 21/25 (84%) If you can get hold of this for a reasonable price, it’s worth it just for the figures.

Hope you enjoyed the review, please let me know what you thought of it!

Rufus

Read Mischa07’s review here

Brickset (and instructions) here

Peeron here

I leave you with the newest members of the Star Wars blues band, Gamo Rea on guitar and Boba Fettington on his legendary black trumpet:

4476_rockband.jpg

Edited by KimT
indexed and title fized

Nice review, but I got this set for £2 at Poundstretcher.

Even though the review is good, you got this for £2? :hmpf: I'm a little confused by this comment.

Anyway, beautiful review Rufus. I don't like the Guard myself. I didn't like any of the single piece heads with no printing (ewoks, pod racers...). But this would have been a good set for the price when it came out.

I got this set when I was fairly young, and of course threw away the box and disassembled it quickly. My favorite part was of course the great figure selection for a $7 set, and that it had my first fire pieces.

Great detailed review for a great little set, but isn't this set called Jabba's Prize?

Very nice review, though indeed this is "Jabba`s Prize". Jabba`s message is the other little set with Bib Fortuna and the droids.

What I always found strange about this set is that while all other megaphone blasters had a transparent 1x1 round part on the front, Boba`s doesn`t. Would one additional little part have made the set too expensive?

The other problem is that the "Han in Carbonit"-piece is simply too small. I mean, come on, do people shrink when they are frozen in that stuff? In the movie, the block was taller an a person and also wider.

Great detailed review for a great little set, but isn't this set called Jabba's Prize?
Very nice review, though indeed this is "Jabba`s Prize". Jabba`s message is the other little set with Bib Fortuna and the droids.

:blush: Oops. You're quite right. In my haste to transfer the review from the Academy, I made a glaring error. Would any of the mods please change that for me? :blush: again.

Thanks for the feedback!

edit - PS Maybe it's wishful thinking as I don't own Jabba's Message....

Edited by Rufus

Superb review, Rufus - thanks !

I also got my copy from eBay. It's not that hard to find them on sale there, but boxed sets in as good condition as yours are rarer. A small set, but the 3 excellent figures (including Han in carbonite) makes it well worthwhile.

Dr. D.

I remember buying this set as a little kid. Ah.. the memories. :blush: I always loved this set, since Boba and Han in carbonite were two of my favorite minifigs. I also liked the Gamorrean, but not as much as the other two.

Anyways, great review Rufus! I feel like you've covered the set in depth, but not too detailed either.

Thanks. :classic:

Thanks for this "no question open" review! really well done! The Guard and Boba really rock, but I'm still not sure about han in carbonite..he should be in my colection but i just don't like the way tlc made this "minifig"

I own this set and for what it is i quite like it ! The guard i think looks pretty spot on, after playing " Lego star wars " the game and seeing them rocking out how could you NOT like them :tongue:

nice little review on what is quite a nice little set, good work :thumbup:

I will add my $0.02. The only reason to get this set is for the mini-figures. At the time I did not have any of them so I bought the set at full price. (I probably would of waited for them to go on clearance other wise.)

these old reviews make me wish that i hadn't ignored Lego for the last 15 years... sigh.

great job though.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

And thanks for mentioning my review :classic:

You're welcome!

Great review Rufus.

I've indexed it and changed the title to suit the set :tongue:

This was on sale more than once here, but I chose to buy the set with the stormtrooper, imperial officer and Luke instead.

Now I wish I had more Gamorrean Guards :blush:

We can always hope that TLG will relaunch the sets around Jabba the Hutt and thus give us a new and better Gamorrean :wub:

Oddly I've still got plenty of the carbonite Han Solo bricks :hmpf:

Thank awgd we're getting a new version of those.

I've indexed it and changed the title to suit the set :tongue:

Thank you! Saved at last from my own idiocy!

We can always hope that TLG will relaunch the sets around Jabba the Hutt and thus give us a new and better Gamorrean :wub:

Thank awgd we're getting a new version of those.

Amen to both comments.

A very nice review Rufus!

This is one of those little sets that I really want but sadly now, they are quite expensive for their size. :sad:

The set is nice, but the main thing is the figs for me, both are very nice! :wub:

Thanks for the review!

CommanderFox