Captain Zuloo

Grandeur

Haha, very funny pictures there Connor. And your ship is beautifull as ever.

But please Izzy, stop bothering me on MSN and Skype about you walking in to me when I had my pants down! I know you have seen something really awesome and huge, but please...use only your fantasy for once :pir-grin: .

Aww man, did you really have to post about the poo you made?

But I'm so proud of it! My biggest one so far :pir-blush: !

Btw, Zuloo, how many ships do you plan on making? Or is this one a stand-alone project?

Amazingly detailed work on this Zuloo! I love the fact that so many great members were able to gift you parts and experience. The Grandeur is beautiful, all the details including rigging, sails and more are great. Is there a captains cabin as well?

So what's next after conquering the seas?

Absolutely stunning Cap'n Z. I'm always amazed at how you and other Pirate fans can create these magnificent ships. I'd like to see this and Bonaparte's ship in an epic sea battle.

Awesome! :thumbup:

WOW Connor she has turned out lovely! She has wonderful lines and color. The sails and rigging look great. What a nice project for you. She certainly shows all the care and attention you brought to her. She will stand tall among the other Frenchies in the Bluecoat fleet. Well done!!!

Thanks Jeff, and again thank you for the jumpers. I think I have enough left to build an armada with! :pir-tongue:

BTW where did you get the compass?? I definately need one of those... great job!

The compass was found in the later sets of the original pirates line 6291 and 6290. :pir-wink:

Wow Connor! That turned out really brilliantly! I love the sails and rigging you can really tell you put a lot of effort and attention to detail into them. I hope everyone at Brickvention appreciated seeing the good ship Grandeur.

Thanks for letting Minifig Iz help man the helm too. I better say sorry to Zorro for walking in on him. :pir-grin: Too funny!

Don't say sorry, he deserved it. :pir-laugh: And I think people enjoyed her at BV.

Awesome ship! it turned out very well :pir-wub:

Good work on the rigging and sails, and I also like the black things on the 'shutters'(? you know, with the black tiles :pir-wink: )

Weren't you planning to put some transparant tiles or something like that on the compass house?

Oh, and your stern is also nice :pir-classic:

Brilliant ship

I was planning to do the glass, but I didn't want to make a Bricklink order just for those parts. I'll probably redo it. :pir-wink:

Lovely ship Captain! She has a nice shape and the sails are just beautiful. :pir-classic:

I really like the sigfig story going on there. :pir_laugh2: I see you've used the glass table again, it just looks like real water!

The rigging is excellent, and so does the tumblehome. Nice curves! :thumbup:

I'm glad to see the French fleet keeps growing! :pir-sweet:

Awesome job Captain Zuloo!

Thanks Blackmoor! And thanks for the frontpage.

It may have taken awhile, you have been talking about building this ship all the time I have known you, but well worth the wait.

Your photography is getting much better and just in time to give this awesome MOC some special treatment. Very nice work Captain!

Thanks mate, and I really do appreciate your suggestions and feedback along the way.

That doesn't look like me at all. :pir-hmpf_bad::pir-tongue:

The ship has turned out great Captain, i really like the line and all the small detail.

Next to that you actually sown the sails, excellent detail!

I hope you'll make more for the fleet, cause the fleet needs Captains like you! :thumbup:

I did intend to photoshop your sigfig's hair green, but I forgot. :pir-look: Thanks for the compliment. :pir-sweet:

Very fun.

I really liked your choice for a base. That table, looks like water.

I really like the ship and the story was really fun, I like it when people make fun stories instead of just posting pics. :thumbup:

I think it is more fun too. :pir-classic:

I actually thought up a question because I noticed your sails...what stitching technique did you use? it looks awesome :pir-grin:

Not sure if I'm allowed to tell anyone the secret. :pir_laugh2: I'll confirm I won't get keelhauled, then I'll PM you. :pir-wink:

What a great effort you have made with this! I dont think ive seen many mocs from you, and this is a really great build! You cant go wrong with that colourscheme and it looks great here. Nice stern and bow, I do like the figure head - kind of reminds me of a bull. Great work Conner, all those times frontpaging other peoples mocs, i think its time you were frontpaged with this beauty :pir-classic:

Thanks Luke, it's great to have a builder as good as you give my MOC such a nice comment. :pir-sweet:

Beautiful vessal! :pir-cry_happy: The colors are fantastic, and I like the way you did the sails :thumbup:

Got any below decks photos?

-Will

Unfortunately she has no interior. Although I can take a photo with the sides off to show you the internal structure. :pir-wink:

That is one fine ship Captain!

Very good details of so many great things like rigging, alot of SNOT details, the figurehead as so many mentioned.

I just love how you all do the sails on your ships. There is no exeption here eighter.

One thing that strikes me though is how the sails have the look of having no wind in them.

Is it possible to do something about that? It would be a great addition to the whole creation.

That together with the use of the table would really make the ship look like it was really sailing.

Working out how to make it appear as though more wind is in the sails is quite high on my to-do list, although it might be a tricky task due to the amount of string holding them on to the yards, and even holding the yard up!

She turned out great Connor! The detailing on this ship is very well done and you got the curve just right. :thumbup: I also like the hatches fore and aft as well as the pipe for the galley. Like I said she turned out great and it was fun helping you when you needed it. Thanks for the credit in you post. If you need any more help just ask! :classic: I believe we will be seeing this on the Frontpage!

-Admiral Bejaune

Thanks mate, I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me out when I got stuck. :pir-sweet:

Aww man, did you really have to post about the poo you made?

Hahaha, he so deserved that. :pir-laugh:

Btw, Zuloo, how many ships do you plan on making? Or is this one a stand-alone project?

For the time being, she is a standalone project.

Amazingly detailed work on this Zuloo! I love the fact that so many great members were able to gift you parts and experience. The Grandeur is beautiful, all the details including rigging, sails and more are great. Is there a captains cabin as well?

So what's next after conquering the seas?

Unfortunately, to get the line correct, I had to sacrifice an interior. I wanted to keep her fairly low in the water, didn't want it to look too short and stubby. Next I plan to build a steam train, and I believe that has its own challenges, much like detailed sailing ships. But I do hope to build a Dutch East Indian trader at some point, also in minifig illusion scale. :pir-wink:

Absolutely stunning Cap'n Z. I'm always amazed at how you and other Pirate fans can create these magnificent ships. I'd like to see this and Bonaparte's ship in an epic sea battle.

Awesome! :thumbup:

Great to see you over from Train Tech TheBrickster! Thank you for your compliment, although I think the HMS Prince of Whales would probably eat Le Grandeur for breakfast with so many more guns. Although my frigate might have the advantage of speed. :pir-wink:

Thanks for your comments all!

Well Done.

A brillianly designed ship and fabulous detail. :pir-blush:

The way you presented it is comical as well.

Brilliant :pir-cry_happy:

A true beauty she is, your ship.

I particularly like the way you took your pictures on that glass table.

You realy had me believing you immersed her in real water ! It looks real cool.

Great job!

Carpe Lego

Henri

A real piece of art, Captain Zuloo! Colourscheme, rigging, stern, the curved design in the side of the ship... simply perfect! Congratulations!!

LOVE the ship! :pir-classic: perfect and you are a lucky man to have all those great friends to donate parts! :pir-cry_happy:

Maybe I should think about finishing my ship just because of the beauty this ship has, very detailed. Its a perfect addition to the world of ships :thumbup:

I'm confused, you say next you will build a steam engine, but this doesn't look like a train to me *huh*

Seriously though, it was great to see this at Brickvention, along with all your train Mocs.

Hi Captain Zuloo,

the ship turned out beautyfully. Verry well done.

Nice cartoony presentation. :pir_laugh2:

Kind regards,

Teddy

She certainly is a beauty Captain. The stern, the figurehead, the sails and rigging, everything looks really good.

One minor thing though, The stern galleries might look better if they stood in an angle to the hull instead of being integrated into the hull.

It never seizes to amaze me what people can do on prefab hulls and this fine vessel is no exception :pir-cry_happy:

I wish I could afford some hull pieces so I coud have a go at it one day. It would be less time consuming then my current project :pir-tongue:

Great MOC captain, and I hope she will get a sister somewhere in the future.

Keep up the good work!

Greetings,

Errorist

Edited by Errorist

That is really awesome! I like reading your posts on the subject as you seem to have the history down. To be honest most of what I know from Pirates and the ships comes from playing a Pirate MMOG by SOE, some movies, and role playing playing a Pirate char in Ultima Online. Did you take the measurements? I love how you put in peoples minifigs. I'm curious, where does that minifig of Cutlis Iz come from? Is the torso from the older Pirate series female minifig? My niece would like that minifig. We could call her Izzy lol. Also, did she change her forum name because it says "Cutlass Iznt" now. One more question since I'm on the subject, on the radio podcast I've always tried to figure out what her name is (I'm from the US and as much as UK & Aussie accents are my fav, I can get confused sometimes) it sounds like "Izzy Kill Martin" but that can't be right is it? If it is right, then who is Martin and why does Izzy want to kill him? :pir-tongue:

That is really awesome! I like reading your posts on the subject as you seem to have the history down. To be honest most of what I know from Pirates and the ships comes from playing a Pirate MMOG by SOE, some movies, and role playing playing a Pirate char in Ultima Online. Did you take the measurements? I love how you put in peoples minifigs. I'm curious, where does that minifig of Cutlis Iz come from? Is the torso from the older Pirate series female minifig? My niece would like that minifig. We could call her Izzy lol.

The ship isn't actually minifig scale, it's more illusion minifig scale. That is, it's a little smaller, but still looks good with minifigs. I took measurements and converted feet into studs, but I only used them as a guide, as every tall ship was different. Izzy's torso is from the older sets, yes. It is the original wench torso. :pir-wink:

Also, did she change her forum name because it says "Cutlass Iznt" now.

That's for the Fellows to know, and the rest of us mere forum users to never find out. :pir_laugh2:

One more question since I'm on the subject, on the radio podcast I've always tried to figure out what her name is (I'm from the US and as much as UK & Aussie accents are my fav, I can get confused sometimes) it sounds like "Izzy Kill Martin" but that can't be right is it? If it is right, then who is Martin and why does Izzy want to kill him? :pir-tongue:

She'll have your head for that one! :pir-tongue: You are almost right. It is Izzy Kilmartin, only 1 "L". :pir-wink:

Next to that you actually sown the sails, excellent detail!

I hope you'll make more for the fleet, cause the fleet needs Captains like you! :thumbup:

He didnt, its pencil. :wink: YOu should know that.

Thank you Captain Zuloo for the reply and the warning :pir_laugh2: I did some searching trying to find some girl minifigs for my niece to play with the 2 ships and 2 castle sets we have and I was surprised to see that in the Pirates Theme at S@H there is only 4 sets left plus the 2 ships, none of which include any girl pirate figs but includes the admirals daughter which we have since we have the Imperial Flagship. I found this page and those are nice ones. The one on the left appears to be from 6253-1: Shipwreck Hideout The right one is of course from Medieval Market Village which has a couple good girl minifigs, it's a nice set too so I might get it. I've found them on Bricklink so I'll be placing an order after my little miss approves. :)

I know that the saying is, "A woman on a ship is bad luck for the crew" but this is a Lego ship and the men aren't as grabby. :pir-tongue: I wonder if little boys who play with Legos get that much upset when they encounter a female minifig in their set. "Yuck! Cooties! Mooooom, they put a girl Lego person in! Why did you buy me this set! Waaah!" :pir_bawling:

Anyways, kickazz ship Cap'N, permission to come aboard? :pir-cry_happy:

Edited by Grimmy

He didnt, its pencil. :wink: YOu should know that.

Correct, the vertical lines (which for those who don't know are there because on real ships, the sails were made out of long strips of canvas sewn together like that) are indeed just pencil done heavily 2cm apart on both sides. :pir-classic:

Anyways, kickazz ship Cap'N, permission to come aboard? :pir-cry_happy:

So long as you bring a good sound system and a copy of your album The Future Looks Grimm. :pir-wink:

I was looking at your black hatches and was wondering if they open? Really cool design.

Thanks Admiral B! The story behind the hatches is an interesting one: I had just spent hours getting the deck aligned correctly with the limited assortment of tan plates I had when I realised I didn't leave a hole for the ladder. But I needed some way of access between decks, so I devised this. Unfortunately though, they don't open.

Thanks Admiral B! The story behind the hatches is an interesting one: I had just spent hours getting the deck aligned correctly with the limited assortment of tan plates I had when I realised I didn't leave a hole for the ladder. But I needed some way of access between decks, so I devised this. Unfortunately though, they don't open.

They are great indeed. I have put one on my ship as well.

I wanted to mention it before but I had no idea of what those things were called like :pir_laugh2:

And mine does open :pir-classic:

Anyway, great design :thumbup: