Chromeknight

4841 Hogwarts Express Train Discussion

Latest News as of 2/14/2010:

gallery_174_44_165039.jpg

Pictures found by Darth Legolas at Figures.com

-------------------------

traintech1.jpg

Crusing brickset and I noticed that there will be more HP sets in october including

a new Hogwarts express

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=4841-1

Now I don't want to start a bunch of speculation, since I know nothing more than

indicated by BrickSet.

If someone does have solid information (not speculation or vain wishing it uses EN

wheels) then let's hear it. Otherwise it's fine of the topic lies quiet for a few months...

Crusing brickset and I noticed that there will be more HP sets in october including

a new Hogwarts express

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=4841-1

Now I don't want to start a bunch of speculation, since I know nothing more than

indicated by BrickSet.

If someone does have solid information (not speculation or vain wishing it uses EN

wheels) then let's hear it. Otherwise it's fine of the topic lies quiet for a few months...

Look into the licensed sub-forum and you'll see that there is a whole discussion on this topic.

I don't have any hope for this one, after seeing that hideous excuse for a "Western Train" from the Toy Story line. :sick:

You are aware, aren't you, that the Toy Story train is based off a child's toy train from a cartoon-ish movie where everything is stylized anyway?

--Tony

You are aware, aren't you, that the Toy Story train is based off a child's toy train from a cartoon-ish movie where everything is stylized anyway?

--Tony

Yes I am. This is the 501st time someone has told me that actually. It doesn't revoke my opinion, does it? Of course I wasn't expecting something like your absolutely wonderful steam locomotives (really :wub: them! :oh:), but I was expecting something other than short wagons and out of whack proportions.

IMO, the whole thing is ruined because of it being to scale of those... um... Maxifigs with those ugly heads that IMO aren't even minifgures?

Edited by Legoliner Pilot

The HP Train is mentioned in the following licensed topic (as mentioned above): Harry Potter 2010 Discussion Thread.

I was tempted to close this topic, but as this is a train, and we have our our Train forum, I'll go ahead and leave it open if anyone wants to discuss.

I modded the original HP train by adding a train motor and train wheels plus extra carriages. I am thinking of turning an Emerald Night into one by changing the green for red. If this new HP train is OK I might mod that too :classic:

I am thinking of turning an Emerald Night into one by changing the green for red.

How will you go about aquiring red 2 x 4 round slope bricks?

As long as it looks vaguely like the real loco, GWR "Hall" class no. 5972 Olton Hall, and uses PF to drive the loco's wheels I'll be happy. if some of the details look a bit odd I can always tweak them like I've done with 10194. Ideally I'd love alternative stickers to name the model Olton Hall, but that'd probably require Lego getting permission from its owners, West Coast Railways.

For some reason I can imagine Lego deciding to keep the boiler diameter the same as the previous model. Fitting a PF motor could as such be tricky. I just hope that they don't reuse that awful printed smokebox door from the old model. I know printing is preferable to stickers, but it was terrible! The headboard was too big and the number was incorrectly positioned as a result. The number was also the wrong size and font. Yes, I'm being pedantic when it's just intended to be a toy, but what can I say? My other trains are mega-detailed 00 scale models!

Too bad...

However I am disappointed to report that Hogwarts Express does NOT use the new train wheels and looks just as bad as the last one which really is a shame.
(from Brickset)

So, no train wheels, no motor and no nice train parts, just a little more of the expensive licence stuff.

Perhaps we should remind ourselves of the old motorised version:

10132-1.jpg

Great for 9V fans - motor, track, wheels & buffers...

Edited by Matt Dawson

I agree, but as it seems this new version will be without all that, and more like this one:

4708-1.jpg

OK, I can live without proper train wheels (I have a lot of those), but if the design will be as bad as this one...

Missed opportunity. I was looking forward to a red sister for the Emerald Night but this looks like a theme park train, not a steam train.

OK, I can live without proper train wheels (I have a lot of those), but if the design will be as bad as this one...

I'm not getting it... the H.E. in the two pictures look almost the same except for the train wheels and the missing glass windows. Of course the one in the picture you posted doesn't have the tender! But the design seems almost identical... what am I not seeing? :tongue:

Isn't it enough? With those wheels train looks childish, without tender it can be hardly called train and I havent even noticed the windows. I'm not a great fan of motorized version either, but it's at least a good part pack

I don't want to crush your spirits or anything, but this speculation about no big drivers has not been confirmed by LEGO, so don't look at it as fact! Wait until we see official photos, then start complaining about it.

From this post on Brickset:

I went to the London Toy Fair today specifically to visit the LEGO stand.

However I am disappointed to report that Hogwarts Express does NOT use the new train wheels and looks just as bad as the last one...

An eye-witness report from the toy-fair is good enough for me...

An eye-witness report from the toy-fair is good enough for me...

Perhaps, but I'll be waiting until an official announcement to decide what I think of the set.

Perhaps, but I'll be waiting until an official announcement to decide what I think of the set.

"A picture is worth a 1000 words" :wink:

It's all worked out now SuperChris, we both get our 10-seconds of fame! :tongue:

The train is very nice in my opinion, it's very unchanged, the front is better, but the cabin in the back lost some and gained some, so it equals out. The detailing on the tender is very good. :thumbup:

Edited by Darth Legolas

I didn't find it, just took the link from the other thread because I know some train tech's don't visit that thread. Sorry for not giving credit :grin:!