Peppermint_M

Which Comic Do You Read?

Still active :thumbup:

I just bought the latest JSA book (Thy Kingdom Come pt3) and a Sandman book.

I read Full Metal Alchemist on One Manga. I think I will start collecting the books once I have some space for it.

I probably read more comics than I should....

Comics: I read so many that I can't even remember so I'll just put down my favorites

Fables (Vertigo)

Jack Of Fables (Vertigo)

Deadpool (Marvel)

Secret Six (DC)

Justice Society of America (DC)

Uncanny X-Men (Marvel)

GI Joe: Cobra (IDW)

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 8 (Darkhorse)

Webcomics:

Least I Could Do

Looking For Group

Joe Loves Crappy Movies

Shortpacked

Multiplex

PVP

Manga:

None. I don't really care for it anymore.

Yeah...Comics are my life pretty much. Gail Simone is my favorite writer.

Fables is great. I recently borrowed book 10 (The Good Prince) from the Library and I have read book 1 and some of Jack of Fables. I'm glad the writers have been given JSA to work with, because they can craft a fantastic story.

Just bought Batman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told, Justice vol 2 and Justice vol 3, though technically the latter hasn't arrived yet, so no spoilers!

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Manga:

Mainly Shojo Manga such as Vampire Night, Otomen, Honey Hunt, and Honey & Clover.

Graphic Novels:

'Bone' by Jeff Smith.

The Courtney Crumrin Series

Webcomics:

Glomshire Knights

The Mercurials

Fabuland Houswives

-Dave

ToT-LUG

I havent read it for a while but I loved TINTIN as a kid :wub:

Still do but havent read on for a while, but might brush the dust of one tonight

Also they are making a movie soon as well :cry_happy:

I don't follow any particular comics, but I do pick up the odd graphic novel from time to time.

Most recently:

Most of the Tintin Series. (Comic book or graphic novel?)

Watchmen

Road to Perdition

I also follow the various comics at Brickzone.

Edited by Eilif

Just picked up The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 1 by Alan Moore, and really enjoyed it. Will definitely pick up volume 2 shortly.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Ooh, great thread, I'm always looking for new webcomics to read. Here are the ones I have bookmarked:

Order of the Stick

Cat and Girl

Sinfest

Freefall

White Ninja

Hm, I seem to have missed this thread too. Let's see...

I just got three volumes of Uncle Scrooge by Don Rosa from my sister for Christmas. I'm a huge Don Rosa fan. Too bad they don't print his stuff anymore. :cry_sad: I loved Scrooge and the gang ever since I watched DuckTales as a kid, and Rosa's comics are very well written and drawn, and they have really fleshed out Scrooge's character. :thumbup:

I also follow the Star Wars: The Clone Wars webcomic. It's surprisingly good compared to the TV show! :sweet:

And I still read some Garfield and Gary Larsen every now and then. :grin:

And I have also recently "read" the Simon's Cat book, if that counts. I love the cartoons, but the book was kinda "meh" because it reminded me too much of Garfield. Still nice though. :thumbup:

As a kid, I read the entire Asterix and Tintin collection. That was some great stuff. Unfortunately the latest Asterix comics suck, and there has been nothing new from Tintin for a while, but I'm very excited for Spielberg's Tintin movies! :sweet:

My list has changed! I have added

Hark! A Vagrant

Escape from Terra (on Bigheadpress.com)

and removed quite a few, for getting boring/wierd/annoyingly immature.

Hark! A Vagrant is like xkcd but for history and Escape from Terra is a SF series concerning colonies in space.

Nice thread revival!

I used to be a Marvel zombie, but quit 15 years ago and stuck to indies. About two years ago I started buying some trades, because I heard they'd gotten actual writers working for them. By far the best was the Captain America Omnibus, which ends with the (highly-publicized) death of Captain America. Fantastic book. And I really liked Joss Wheden's Astonishing X-Men. The other men-in-tights book I really liked was Grant Morrisson's All-Star Superman. It made a character that bores the heck out of me seem really interesting.

Last year, I read through all of Y, the Last Man, and was completely satisfied. The author is now a writer for the show Lost, since season 4 (ie. when it got good again), so if you like Lost, this book might hook you in.

Overall though, I like the stuff written and drawn by one person. The stuff I bought last year:

Asterios Polyp - possibly the best comic I've ever read, about a divorced architecture professor.

George Sprott - a fictional biography of a small town Canadian television personality.

Acme Novelty Library - every issue/book is perfect.

Currently I'm reading R.Crumb's full adaptation of Genesis, the first book of the Bible, beautiful, beautiful book.

Waiting in the wings is the massive 800+ page auto-biography of underground Tokyo manga artist, Yoshihiro Tatsumi, A Drifting Life, about when he was an up and comer, in the 60's. Looking forward to it, but it's a real tome, and will take time to get through.

Well let me step back about 20 years and I'll let you know what I used to collect.

X-Men

Cable

Superman

and lots of random ones that I can't remember. I never did find my old comics, I'm not quite sure what ever happened to them. I'd love to find them, and sell them for LEGO money.

I gotta admit: I despise the superhero comics genre in particular, and since it's so pervasive, it's tainted my opinion of comics in general. So I don't read many. That said, I have read a few.

I went through an X-Statix phase a few years ago, it was almost a parody of the superhero genre but eventually became just another part of it.

Years and years ago, I read Marvel Heroes Reborn and collected every issue. It's largely due to that series that I now hate superhero comics, but while I understand that the guy behind it isn't exactly respected in the industry, I still see it simply as a magnification of what I don't like about them, not as an exception to the rule.

I read Watchmen when the movie came out (though I didn't see the movie). I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It's good, it deserves its reputation, but I just read it once and moved on, mission accomplished.

I don't read much manga anymore, but I used to. The last series I read right through was Death Note, which was excellent up until you-know-what happened and still good after that. I liked Sgt. Frog until it jumped the shark. I don't normally go for shoji stuff but I loved Mahoromantic and read the whole thing.

I don't really read any dailies regularly, though Dilbert's good. I also really like Pooch Cafe and Garfield but they're in newspapers I hate reading, so I don't see them much. Historically, my fave would be Calvin & Hobbes.

Webcomics, none.

I don't really read any dailies regularly, though Dilbert's good. I also really like Pooch Cafe and Garfield but they're in newspapers I hate reading, so I don't see them much. Historically, my fave would be Calvin & Hobbes.

Ah yes, I forgot about C&H. :classic: I read some of those too, and they're pretty good.

You know, you can always read the Garfield strips on the official website. :wink: Just bookmark it, and hit it up every once in a while, like I do.

I read a lot of different things.

Marvel, mostly Spiderman and X-Men, maybe Iron Man

Sometimes DC like Batman, not Superman though :sick:

Any Star Wars I can get hold of

Newspaper strips :tongue:

Sometimes Calvin & Hobbes

Any other comics that seem interesting.

Edited by prateek

I am very good fan af donald stories written by Carl Barks / Don Rosa, also Calvin and Hobbes and Garfield.

I have also the Carl Barks Complete.

:classic:

I'm reading through the Watchmen "graphic novel" currently, and it's amazing - even better than the film (which is a high compliment from me, even though I expected it would be as such - film adaptations rarely live up to the source material, unfortunately.).

Aside from that, the only normal comic I enjoy is Calvin and Hobbes - most superhero-style comics I don't care for, although I do like to be versed in their lore just so that I can know something about them. :tongue: I read a ton of webcomics though, I'll list a few of them:

-Looking For Group

-Planet Zebeth (Metroid Sprite Comic - unfortunately, it looks as if it's slowing down now, but back during its heyday it was amazing)

-Slightly Damned

-Cyanide and Happiness

There's a ton more, but those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head. =P

~Trexxen

I read simple japanese mangas because I am learning japanese and it helps a lot to learn sentence patterns and words.

Pretty much any Batman comic relating to Two Face. :thumbup:

I'm more of a funnies person. I read them each morning over a bowl of cereal. My favorite is Calvin and Hobbes, but unfortunately, my paper doesn't run it. :sceptic:

As for webcomics, I only read one so far- xkcd.

I have also the Carl Barks Complete.

:classic:

I would love that. I have some Rosa books, like the Life of McDuck, but the only Barks I have are the odd Gladstone reprint from the 90's. That would be a good investment.

For the others mentioning dailies, Calvin & Hobbes is great, the art, the writing, the pacing. It's a shame Watterson retired. But I'm surprised to see Garfield fans. It seems really generic and repetitive to me. Plus, Garfield is a Republican :tongue: