Sign in to follow this  
Zach M.

Deluxe Cargo Electric Train Locomotive Design?

traintech1.jpg

Why is the Locomotive from the Deluxe Cargo Train Set so ugly? I can't quite put my finger on it. I have been trying to work on the design but there isn't anything that really helps it out....:( At first I thought it was the John Deere color scheme so I switched that up to black and green. Still a no go...then I thought maybe it was the noses but that didn't help. I'm stumped...maybe it's just a blah design.

ugly.jpg

Maybe I'm spoiled since I built these... The white and red one is a dummy locomotive (non powered)

locos.jpg

My modified RC acceptable Diesel Locomotive (powered)

blackloco2.jpg

blackloco.jpg

Thanks,

Zach

I quite like the 7898 loco. :classic: Maybe because it has an uncanny resemblance to Victorian Railways' E1100 and E1101 locomotives.

While your two diesels do look nice, they seem to be just a mod and recolour of Lego's 10133 BNSF locomotive?

It's whatever you're used to. To me most American diesels are quite ugly. I like the 7898 as it looks like a classic German train:

e44.jpg

It's whatever you're used to. To me most American diesels are quite ugly.

In a way, all diesel locomotives are ugly, but that's the beauty of them :classic:

Yep 7898 is an ugly duckling but that's why I like it - heck it's a workhorse not a showpony. :grin:

Besides that I like your first black with orange strip along the side of the train 'Zach. M' ! :sweet:

I'm a conformist! ! :laugh:

I don't know what you're crabbing about. I think 7898 seems fine. Although, it does remind me of Pennsylvania railway electric shunters.

I'm actually looking at the cargo engine now on a shelf I have near my computer. I actually like the overall design, and I'm also a fan of American diesel engines (since I had HO trains as a kid). This particular Euro-style loco has some nice features like the use of four classic train doors (two opposite direction). I think it was great to see the return of these doors in a newer set. Also, I like the electric connecters on top, the removable roof sections, and the use of yellow railing. I think the yellow pieces add a bit of "unique character" to the engine. I also like the choice of green for most of the unit.

I suppose my only complaint would be the middle wall section between the doors that just look a bit plain. It makes the loco look elongated. Aside from that, I think it's a pretty nice engine.

I suppose my only complaint would be the middle wall section between the doors that just look a bit plain. It makes the loco look elongated. Aside from that, I think it's a pretty nice engine.

You are one of the few who understood my question and may be on to something. I believe it's lacking some detail from the one Dug pictured (which I really like BTW).

My version based off of set 10133 captures the GP40 locomotive extremely well. The amount of detail and lines they put into it really makes it look realistic. It's probably one of the reasons I decide to get back into Lego (train). I missed out on buying the set but I love the general design.

It's whatever you're used to. To me most American diesels are quite ugly. I like the 7898 as it looks like a classic German train:

e44.jpg

That's very true about what you are use to but I love the look of the electric engine you posted. The engine in Deluxe Cargo Train Set doesn't capture that feeling of it.

In a way, all diesel locomotives are ugly, but that's the beauty of them :classic:

Very true.

Yep 7898 is an ugly duckling but that's why I like it - heck it's a workhorse not a showpony. :grin:

Besides that I like your first black with orange strip along the side of the train 'Zach. M' ! :sweet:

I'm a conformist! ! :laugh:

Thanks, one is very limited when working around the constraints of the RC power box... I really don't want battery powered box cars.

You are one of the few who understood my question and may be on to something. I believe it's lacking some detail from the one Dug pictured (which I really like BTW).

How about adding a couple of green window shutters in the middle area, to create one or two opening that might hide some measurement or control equipment?

I built one for my 12V/9V layout, I don't own the actual set though. However, I made a few changes when building it, I added some details on the area where the RC motor would be, I added old style window shutters on the sides, but there's no such thing as green windows with the shutter tabs (or the bricks with tabs) so it looked a bit silly, other than that I'm quite happy with the results.

I made similar modifications for my 12V Crocodile which is based on the 4551 9V set, it has old style windows, roof and windows shutters on the sides. I'll try to remember to take pictures of both of them... :)

...but there's no such thing as green windows with the shutter tabs (or the bricks with tabs)

Yes, I was afraid of this... :sceptic: And I think the old windows with tabs are forever gone out of production, so no chance of getting green ones ever.

I'll try to remember to take pictures of both of them... :)

Please do :)