jedikermit

Question about Darth Vader's TIE Advanced?

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

So somehow I've been buying Star Wars LEGO sets since 1999, but never bought a Darth Vader TIE Fighter. I saw one at Target today for $29.99, and almost bought it, but wanted to ask--is this the same version that was released in 2008? And is it a good set, or should I just wait another five years and hope for another release?

Who am I kidding. I'll buy this one, but I was just wondering if this is the same one that was released in 2008, and if there are any cool features I should know about, or be warned about any shortcomings.

Anyone?

As far as I know there has only been on TIE Advanced released recently. I'm not quite what you mean by "the same as the 2008 version". As for details and such you can check out this review here. :wink:

There was no Vader's TIE in 2008. Only one last year, and that's probably the one you mean/saw. It would very much surprise me if it was anything older than that.

Next time you can use Bricklink or Brickset for this kind of info.

I bought it for about $20 when it was on sale in November...I think its an average set.

However, I think you should make your decision soon, because it probably won't be around long for much longer. I wasn't a huge fan of it at first, but I'm glad to have one of the most iconic vehicles of the movies.

I think you should buy it. :wink:

-darthperson

IMO, you should buy it now. And BTW, I think SW will be done in 5 years.

never say that... NEVER! Anyway, buy the set now while you can.

never say that... NEVER! Anyway, buy the set now while you can.

Sorry, but I think it will be over. I'm not sure, but I've heard that it will end in 2011. :sadnew:

To answer your question, there was one (minifigure scaled) tie advanced before the one you saw. It came in a tie fighter pack that was released back in...I'm going to say 2004. Yes, it is completely different. The main thing is the color difference, 04's was blue and black, 09's was black and grey. there are many differences, but the 09 version is WAY better. you should really get it, as it will not be around very much longer. hope that helped.

I don't think there was a 2008 one. The recent one for $30 is a pretty nice and easy way to get a darth vader. Its pretty accurate considering the size and i'll recommend it.

I do recommend getting the TIE Advanced, its an excellent set.

I'm thinking that you mean the Ultimate Collecters Series version of the TIE Fighter? Its the most recent version, excluding 2009's Fighter.

10175-1.jpg

So somehow I've been buying Star Wars LEGO sets since 1999, but never bought a Darth Vader TIE Fighter. I saw one at Target today for $29.99, and almost bought it, but wanted to ask--is this the same version that was released in 2008? And is it a good set, or should I just wait another five years and hope for another release?

Who am I kidding. I'll buy this one, but I was just wondering if this is the same one that was released in 2008, and if there are any cool features I should know about, or be warned about any shortcomings.

Anyone?

Yes it's the same one that was released in 2008. It's much better than the previous system Advanced Ties Lego has released, I would recommend getting it. It really doesn't do a whole lot, it has a couple of the flick fire missiles, but there is a spot underneath the back for holding Vader's lightsaber while he's piloting the vessel.

There was no Vader's TIE in 2008. Only one last year, and that's probably the one you mean/saw. It would very much surprise me if it was anything older than that.

Next time you can use Bricklink or Brickset for this kind of info.

This set was available late in 2008, although it is categorized as a 2009 set.

To answer your question, there was one (minifigure scaled) tie advanced before the one you saw. It came in a tie fighter pack that was released back in...I'm going to say 2004. Yes, it is completely different. The main thing is the color difference, 04's was blue and black, 09's was black and grey. there are many differences, but the 09 version is WAY better. you should really get it, as it will not be around very much longer. hope that helped.

There were actually two previous system versions released, one was available several times between 1999 and 2004 (7150, 7152, 7262). The other was available in the 10131 Tie Collection.

I do recommend getting the TIE Advanced, its an excellent set.

I'm thinking that you mean the Ultimate Collecters Series version of the TIE Fighter? Its the most recent version, excluding 2009's Fighter.

I would have to disagree considering the one he's talking about was at Target for $30.

I concur with most of the opinion here. I got the 7150 version (with the Y-Wing) and yes the 2009 version is much nicer. Mainly due to the black/grey colour scheme.

Makes me wish that they'd redo the TIE and TIE/INT in the same colour scheme.

Don't ever wait expecting to see it again in a few years, I've made that mistake. If you can get it and you want it, DON'T WAIT!

Thanks everyone for the information and recommendations. I got the "2008" from the DK LEGO Visual Dictionary, and wasn't sure if the set was identical to that one or not. It seemed like this may have been a 10th Anniversary of SW LEGO set and had exclusive labeling, but I couldn't tell without it here with me if it was any different from the sets listed on Brickshelf or not. I did look around before finally posting the question here.

I'll try to pick up the set this week at Target; I was going to pick it up on that $20 sale in November too, darthperson, but it sold out at the five Targets I checked before I got to it. I was surprised to see it back on the shelves; just wanted to check in with you guys before I forked over the $30 for something I might regret.

Looking at it, and the reviews...I think I need it.

Thanks for the assist.

I saw one at Target today for $29.99...
I bought it for about $20 when it was on sale in November...I think its an average set.

You lucky ducks! :oh:

I bought it for the Swedish MSRP, $55... :sceptic:

But the set is totally worth $30, so I´d recommend getting it. :classic:

This set is.. ok. I dont like the big pieces at the back. If you get it for discount though, its worth it.