49 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

After doing the review of 8190 yesterday I decided to post a review of 8191 as well, so here it is:

First some general bits of information: The price on s@h was 80 CHF, which is about 50 € (estimated US- Price: 40 $). The set contains 381 pieces, which is not bad, especially in comparison with other sets (like the new ARC-Fighter :hmpf_bad: ).

The box:

img_1328.jpg

img_1327.jpg

Nothing too special back here :wink:

img_1329.jpg

Wow, Doc seems to be pretty gutsy (or pretty dumb :laugh: ).

Next, the contents: two instruction booklets, 6 bags, 4 numbered and 2 unnumbered ones and the sticker sheet.

img_1330.jpg

img_1331.jpg

Two pics of the inventory:

img_1334.jpg

img_1335.jpg

Next onto the minifigs:

Here we have Eruptorr...

img_1336.jpg

...and Firax trapped inside their bags:

img_1339.jpg

Some pics of Eruptorr:

img_1341.jpg

img_1342.jpg

img_1343.jpg

img_1344.jpg

img_1345.jpg

img_1347.jpg

The fig consists of one huge body part, two arms, three (new) flame pieces and 6 orange horns. The flame pieces are slightly bendable and I see many uses for them :sweet: Overall it's a great "minifig", it has a nice color scheme and some cool new parts.

Now some pics of Firax and the two miners (Doc and Duke):

img_1349.jpg

There aren't as many accessories as in 8190, but we get at least two crystals. Another letdown: the miners don't have that new armour piece (unlike 8190)...

Let's move to the next topic, shall we? :wink:

Here we have a pic of the parts that come with this set:

img_1348.jpg

And some special parts:

img_1350.jpg

The claws seem to be Bionicle parts again as well as those blue balls (Zamor spheres?). Overall, I think it's a great heap of parts, we get lots of lime, blue and red ones as well as some black, brown and dark brown ones.

At first, you build the turret...

img_1351.jpg

.... which is followed by the small vehicle:

img_1352.jpg

img_1353.jpg

In my opinion, both are nice looking models and include some useful parts. The shooting mechanism works well compared to those flick-fire missiles and the lifting function is not bad either.

Then you build the cage:

img_1356.jpg

img_1357.jpg

Again, it's a neat looking model and it's functions work pretty well. The colour scheme might be a little disturbing, but you get used to it :grin:

The last part to build, including a vending machine:

img_1358.jpg

img_1359.jpg

img_1360.jpg

img_1361.jpg

The best thing here is the vending machine, it's simple but effective :wub:

Now here's the completed set without....

img_1362.jpg

... and with minifigs:

img_1363.jpg

The "leftover" parts:

img_1364.jpg

Nothing too special here, the most interesting or rare piece seems to be that orange horn (which can be found in two other sets, but still).

Now some action shots, featuring all rock monsters we've seen so far:

img_1366.jpg

img_1368.jpg

img_1369.jpg

img_1370.jpg

img_1378.jpg

img_1379.jpg

img_1380.jpg

Clone 1: "Blast off!!!"

Clone 2: "Are you sure you don't want to use our catapult instead?

img_1381.jpg

Final thoughts: I think 8191 is a great set, both part- and minifig-wise. The funktions are awesome as well and it looks really fine on the shelf. So get it if you aren't irritated by the colour scheme :wink:

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed and poll added

Thanks for this review Lego Freak! Unfortunately your pics are a little large at 1000+ pixels each. Could you resize and change the links according to the site guidelines?

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18718

The normal maximum is 800 wide. I understand it's a little bit of extra work but you have so many pics in this review I can't let it slide. On the upside, if you do resize the pics, I think this fine review definitely belongs on the frontpage! :sweet::thumbup: Thanks!

I love the picture with Rock family! I want this set badly! really thanks for great review, I really waited for it!

Two questions- All big monster have arms on pins? Or just Eruptor? Could you put a photo of giant troll with Eruptor hands?

Thanks for this great review Lego-Freak!

This looks like an excellent set! Eruptorr is amazingly detailed, and I just love the funny gimmicks in Power Miners sets (vending machine :laugh:).

But the annoying thing is the addition of a Thornax launcher (or whatever it's called) in this set. It doesn't fit well here - I'd like it if TLG keeps those specialty parts in the Bioncile based sets only (that means Hero Factory and any other future themes). :sceptic:

But anyways, this set looks very intriguing if it does turn out to cost $40 USD. :sweet:

EDIT: Great pic of the whole rock monster cast, too!

Edited by ILikePi

Awesome review! The only flaw I can think of is the colour scheme of the cage. The vending machine is genious! :thumbup:

I've just resized the pics :laugh:

@Lordofdragonss: Yes, all three of them have pins attached to their arms. Unfortunately, I don't own any castle trolls in order to take the pic you requested :wink:

I've just resized the pics :laugh:

@Lordofdragonss: Yes, all three of them have pins attached to their arms.

Great to hear this! That's gives us a lot of possibilities!

Oh my they are sooo adorable together! :wub:

Good review, WOEFUL colours! Looks like something a small child built randomly (Vending machine is neat though)

Aww, the family reunion of the Rock and Magma monster families! :wub:

I have to say that the vending machine - as cool as it is - is totally out of place in this set. This is supposed to be an underground prison for fiery monsters made of lava, and they have a vending machine there?! I suppose it could be taken as weird humor, having the "cool drinks" sign and all. :tongue:

Thanks for this review! Eruptorr really is impressive, and the drink machine is a great touch, but I'm not sure I want to pick up the rest of the set just for one rock monster and a cool can! :laugh:

I do find it hard to look past the garishly clashing colours. Perhaps even if they'd used a different base shade than the long red plates in ordinary red, this may have looked better. As it is, there's just too many colours going on - blue, lime, dark brown, silver, black, trans-orange... I also think the little vehicle is not nearly as nice as the small standalone set and the Bionicle parts/ Zamor spheres are a bit of a let down after last year's specialty rocky parts like the drill bit and wheels.

Thanks for that review, I've been waiting to see Eruptor,

I like him a lot. If I get the set, He will be the reason I do.

Good review, WOEFUL colours! Looks like something a small child built randomly (Vending machine is neat though)

Exactly my thoughts. It has some interresting parts, great playability, but the set/design as a whole is somewhat hard to look at.

I can't believe they called it "Lavatraz"! :laugh:

That's just hilarious. I might have to pick this set up.

Great review Lego-Freak! I sooo want this set. Eruptor is gorgeous, and how cool is that vending machine??? The colour scheme for the base of the cage is a bit weird, but I guess when you're building huge contraptions in the bowels of the earth, you just have to make do with what you've got. :grin: Ha, and I just got the joke with the name :blush: How slow am I? No, please don't answer that question!

Aww, the family reunion of the Rock and Magma monster families! :wub:

I have to say that the vending machine - as cool as it is - is totally out of place in this set. This is supposed to be an underground prison for fiery monsters made of lava, and they have a vending machine there?! I suppose it could be taken as weird humor, having the "cool drinks" sign and all. :tongue:

Out-of-place home comforts is a subtheme that runs right through Power Miners, though I think this is probably the set with the most prominent example. I think it's an extremely cool idea.

The colours used in the new Power Miner sets still look awful; even if they do use water now, all that structural blue is completely unnecessary. The traditional lime, orange and black - adorably garish though it was - would have worked just as well. If Lego wanted to make the n ew lines particularly distinctive, maybe they could have expanded the range of green colours, but not gone with a completely new, jarring one.

Great Review Lego-Freak! :thumbup:

I quite like the new Rock Monsters.

The vending machine would have to be the best thing in this set though, i really like it! :laugh::thumbup:

Thanks for the review!

CommanderFox

Nice review! I got to get this set! but its not released in the U.S. yet. Anyone know when it will be?

This set is certainly... interesting. The vending machine is terribly clever, in principal and design - it's like the coffee machines from the first wave but 'to the max'. I'll be interested to see what other ingenious things they'll come up with if the line continues. However, the coffee machine and name seem to have used up all of the cleverness, as the rest of the set looks rather a lot like rubbish. It looks like something the designers put together quick at the end of the day using table scraps.

EDIT: May I also say that using Bionicle launchers of any ilk in system sets is an utterly horrible idea that ought be abandoned with speed. Especially Thornax launchers. They don't even look like any sort of real weapon :hmpf:

Edited by Tereglith

Thanks for the great review, although I must admit I'm not crazy about this set. :hmpf_bad:

The only thing it has going for it is Eruptor, in all his glorious, fiery detail. :wub:

The first time I saw this set in the prelim pictures, I thought it was Duplo or something, due to its horrible blocky construction and color scheme.

Really TLC? Mixing huge metallic Bionicle pieces with LEGO elements?

This new Power Miners wave doesn't have the same charm and quality as last years sets, but who knows, maybe it grows on you?

Enough with the negative.

The rock monster "family portrait" at the end was very enjoyable.

Do you own every single Power Miners set, or did you just buy the figs individually?

If so, do you think that the 8709 Underground Mining Station is a better set, because I didn't like it at first, but now I love and own it. :classic:

To think that I could actually feel amazed with a Power Miners set, I must admit that the 2010 Power Miners sets are much more appealing, and even the new Rock Monsters are pretty cool, especially with the completed family picture at the end of your review which make it real nice to end with it. :wub:

Not sure if I will consider to purchase this set, but the jail cage itself is quite suitable for Apoc scenes, similar to Batbrick's apoc creations. It could be quite useful for that, other than that I think this is a above average playset for children whom are really interested in action.

Nice review, and thanks for sharing it with us.

I have also added a poll for our members to vote.

Thank you for the detailed review. I like the vending machine, maybe even more because of the total randomness. :classic:

I think it's time we got some more currency tiles, though. Poor guys are getting bilked paying $100 for a cool drink!

Thank you for the detailed review. I like the vending machine, maybe even more because of the total randomness. :classic:

I think it's time we got some more currency tiles, though. Poor guys are getting bilked paying $100 for a cool drink!

That's what makes it even better! =P

I'll probably end up getting this set for two main reasons, being Eruptorr and the vending machine.