Emperor Claudius Rome

History thread

Those pictures are nice. I wonder if the Persians employed Scythians?

Deffinetly, Scythia was conquered by Darius I around 512BCE, and Scythian soldiers fought at Marathon 490BCE, and were present in the second invasion when they are known to have been selected alongside Persian, Median, Baktrian and Indian forces to stay in Greece when the Persian army split in 480BCE.

You could watch 300, its probably not 100% historically accurate, but wins on the epicness scale!

Deffinetly, Scythia was conquered by Darius I around 512BCE, and Scythian soldiers fought at Marathon 490BCE, and were present in the second invasion when they are known to have been selected alongside Persian, Median, Baktrian and Indian forces to stay in Greece when the Persian army split in 480BCE.

You could watch 300, its probably not 100% historically accurate, but wins on the epicness scale!

Seen it. The had rhinos. And aren't rhinos found in the Indonesian islands. I only watch a movie if it's atleast 70% accurate.

I usually don't bump threads, but I have been wondering about something.

I collect War things mainly from WWII and Vietnam, so, as you would expect, I have a German helmet. I don't remember exactly what type it is, I think it was something like M40 or M44, and I know for sure it is not a Combat helmet. Anyway, where there is normaly the decal on the side of the Eagle(?) holding the swastika with it's talons/feet, mine is not a decal. It is an individual steel piece with the design 'stamped' into it, with three prongs on the back that go into the helmet and fold inward. The other one that is supposed to be on the other side is missing, unfortunately, but the holes are there.

Does anybody know where this came from? Have any info about these at all?

I'm trying to figure out where it came from, because I can't find any sort of pictures or photos of them, not even replicas. :sceptic:

This is all I could come up with quickly. If it resembles this I might be able to help you further. :wink:

o_DcgmQ6UeX4E7qLa.jpg

(I don't mean to offend anyone with a swastika but this is a history thread after all.)

This is all I could come up with quickly. If it resembles this I might be able to help you further. :wink:

(I don't mean to offend anyone with a swastika but this is a history thread after all.)

Offend? I don't understand why anyone would be offended. We should be able to talk about the Nazi's freely, they were and are still real.

There are a few decals for helmet types:

decalco%201.jpg

decalco%203%20pic.gif

decalco%202.jpg

Edited by Joey Lock

Offend? I don't understand why anyone would be offended. We should be able to talk about the Nazi's freely, they were and are still real.

Some members (including myself) have lost family in WWII. We are allowed to discuss Nazis freely. The Mods already cleared that up. One of my school teachers was offended by swastikas, the kids did it for a joke. But when talking about history I don't see a problem but others might. I'm just be considerate for those who may be offended by it. Also must you quote images?

Joey, the reason people might be offended by the swastika is because it is a very potent symbol of a particulary sad episode in european history. You are right in that the Nazi regime was real, and the ideology still exerts an influence today, so therefore the subject is a valid topic for historical discussion. But all you have contributed to the discussion is an inane comment, and some fetishic images of Nazi symbolism. Your empty remark, or the generic images you posted, have no relevance to the question.

Edited by mikey

Joey, the reason people might be offended by the swastika is because it is a very potent symbol of a particulary sad episode in european history. You are right in that the Nazi regime was real, and the ideology still exerts an influence today, so therefore the subject is a valid topic for historical discussion. But all you have contributed to the discussion is an inane comment, and some fetishic images of Nazi symbolism. Your empty remark, or the generic images you posted, have no relevance to the question.

What on earth are you on about "Insane comment" "No Relevance"?

I was answering his question and replying to something. I was stating my opinion to his. We are supposed to be able to express our believes and ideas on History in this forum without you insulting me and my opinion...

The pictures I posted were relevance to the question because he was asking what the German Military Helmet Decals were. I was simply posting the different types of decals. So they really are relevant to the question. And I would appreciate if you do not make fortuitous aggression towards me and my opinions. :sceptic:

EDIT: Oh and JCC1004, Sorry for quoting the picture but why?

Edited by Joey Lock

The helmet basicly looks like that, but there is only the front bolt there, no second one. It was originaly a green helmet, but was repainted black. :cry_sad:
There are a few decals for helmet types:

decalco%201.jpg

That is the 'decal' in the top left.
The pictures I posted were relevance to the question because he was asking what the German Military Helmet Decals were. I was simply posting the different types of decals. So they really are relevant to the question.
I know what the decals are, but this is my question:

My helmet does not have a decal, it has an individual '3D' metal piece connected the the helmet exactly where the decal would be. So where did it come from? Are they rare or something, because I have never seen them before?

What on earth are you on about "Insane comment" "No Relevance"?

I was answering his question and replying to something. I was stating my opinion to his. We are supposed to be able to express our believes and ideas on History in this forum without you insulting me and my opinion...

The pictures I posted were relevance to the question because he was asking what the German Military Helmet Decals were. I was simply posting the different types of decals. So they really are relevant to the question. And I would appreciate if you do not make fortuitous aggression towards me and my opinions. :sceptic:

I did not miss out an S. You comment was inane, meaning it was empty and had no relevance. I have not insulted you, or have been aggressive. I merely pointed out that you had posted images that had no relevance to the question. You obviously did not read the original question because it was regarding the lack of decals, and the presence of a stamped steel insignia.

The mods really don't like it and the first picture is right above it. It's not necessary and is slows some computers.

On-Topic: The Who, that's a M40. I saw how you posted pics for trade. A pic of this helmet would be nice. I'm not an expert on WWII German helmets if you haven't noticed. :grin:

I'll see if I can try to take a picture maybe sometime tomorrow.

We just got a new camera for Christmas, so I need to try to figure out how to use this one anyway. Those trade pictures came from another camera somebody was allowing me to use.

Sorry for the double-post, but I just uploaded the pictures of the helmet. They are too big to deeplink, and I don't feel like resizing them, so click:

Here.

In case you are interesting in anything else in my gallery, there is always more coming. I have a ton of military stuff that I want to take pictures of.

In History class a few months ago we were learning about WWI, and my teacher brought in a Canadian troop's jacket, a Canadian helmet, a canteen, a general's coat, a used gas mask, a new one, and a Lee-Enfield Rifle bullet. I would've taken pics on my phone, but they're not allowed in class :sadnew:

Sorry for the double-post, but I just uploaded the pictures of the helmet. They are too big to deeplink, and I don't feel like resizing them, so click:

Here.

In case you are interesting in anything else in my gallery, there is always more coming. I have a ton of military stuff that I want to take pictures of.

Thanks for the pictures, your helmet looks very nice. I'm sorry but I can't help you with your question about the insignia and honestly I don't think you will have much of a chance to find an answer here on EB (although I could of course be wrong, maybe there is an expert on German WWII helmets somewhere here?). I would recommend you to contact a military historian or a museum that has knowledge about these kind of stuff.

Please let us know when you've uploaded more pictures of your collection, it's really interesting to watch :classic: . Is it only WWII stuff or do you have something from other time periods too?

Edited by Etzel

Thanks for the pictures, your helmet looks very nice. I'm sorry but I can't help you with your question about the insignia and honestly I don't think you will have much of a chance to find an answer here on EB (although I could of course be wrong, maybe there is an expert on German WWII helmets somewhere here?). I would recommend you to contact a military historian or a museum that has knowledge about these kind of stuff.

Please let us know when you've uploaded more pictures of your collection, it's really interesting to watch :classic: . Is it only WWII stuff or do you have something from other time periods too?

Thanks! I was just wondering if anybody could figure out where that badge came from, or if it's anything important. I do know an older German man that I will be talking to either Jan. 30th or 31st at a gun show, where he sells some old militaria.

I prefer things from WWII, but since there are so many unique things from all of the wars, I'm open for buying anything. Having just got a new camera, I'll probably add more pictures soon.

Thanks! I was just wondering if anybody could figure out where that badge came from, or if it's anything important. I do know an older German man that I will be talking to either Jan. 30th or 31st at a gun show, where he sells some old militaria.

I prefer things from WWII, but since there are so many unique things from all of the wars, I'm open for buying anything. Having just got a new camera, I'll probably add more pictures soon.

Ok, I want to help. Hopefully thats not classed as a irrelevant thing mikey...

Ok, So what exactly is your question about the badge/decal on the helmet, Then Ill get right on it. :thumbup:

Ok, I want to help. Hopefully thats not classed as a irrelevant thing mikey...

Don't get all moody because I rightly challenged your pointless post regarding this question.

Ok, So what exactly is your question about the badge/decal on the helmet, Then Ill get right on it. :thumbup:

The question was clearly posted Jan 7 2010, 11:28 PM, or do you not remember? Perhaps you were to busy searching the net for irrelevant Nazi insignia?

Edited by mikey

Don't get all moody because I rightly challenged your pointless post regarding this question.

The question was clearly posted Jan 7 2010, 11:28 PM, or do you not remember? Perhaps you were to busy searching the net for irrelevant Nazi insignia?

Im sorry but your comment was the irrelevant one. I was specifically asking The Who at 11:02 PM, Not you, So I don't understand your inane comment. If you wish to discuss a serious topic, I think this isn't your one.

And as I stated earlier, The insignia was put on the helmet, I was not waving the Nazi Flag about shouting extreme comments out, So please do not portray me as that. Also, As I stated earlier, You said "I do not wish to fall out with anyone" however you are deliberately trying to provoke me, So if you wish to carry on this argument and be hypocritical, Do so with Private Messages.

I'd just like to know where the badge came from, or if it's anything of importance. I've never seen them anywhere else.

Mikey, nothing personal, but would you mind not posting in a discussion unless you have something to add? (Rhetorical question, don't answer it)

Mikey, nothing personal, but would you mind not posting in a discussion unless you have something to add? (Rhetorical question, don't answer it)

I think i am entitled to post if a comment is made about me.

Hopefully thats not classed as a irrelevant thing mikey...

I had perfectly valid reasons for the original post, which Joey got so upset about, and then started to argue about through private messages.

I found this The Who:

german_helmetbadge.jpg

It looks as if it is a Damaged German Helmet badge you speak of.

o_A1PFixQBd3poI2A.jpg

I also found some SS Afrika Korps Badges and they look similar to the ones you are talking about, I believe Afrika Korp wore Helmet badges because the Decals wore off easy with the sand. As you see the sand damage.

Now many of these badges were used to put on Army troppenhelm (canvas pith helmet) in the Afrika Korps, So there is a chance after the Afrika Korps dissolved the soldier who your helmet belonged to removed or received the badge.

094h11-1.jpg

EDIT: I also found the back of the badges, they have the exact prongs you speak of:

o_cBT7cz65nunea5n.jpg

"I had perfectly valid reasons for the original post, which Joey got so upset about, and then started to argue about through private messages."

And that is why I said, If you wish to continue this argument, Do so by Private Messages. And Ill say it again. I asked you if you wanted to continue this argument, reply to my PM, you didn't and I believed you had fair points but now it seems your deliberately trying to pursue this argument. So, If you wish to do so, please use the Private Messaging system.

Edited by Joey Lock

I'd just like to know where the badge came from, or if it's anything of importance. I've never seen them anywhere else.

Im sorry but your comment was the irrelevant one. I was specifically asking The Who at 11:02 PM, Not you, So I don't understand your inane comment. If you wish to discuss a serious topic, I think this isn't your one.

And as I stated earlier, The insignia was put on the helmet, I was not waving the Nazi Flag about shouting extreme comments out, So please do not portray me as that. Also, As I stated earlier, You said "I do not wish to fall out with anyone" however you are deliberately trying to provoke me, So if you wish to carry on this argument and be hypocritical, Do so with Private Messages.

Let's not get into any fights, please :classic:

Can we keep this discussion on track and save the petty arguing for elsewhere?

Community threads are not the highest priority on EB - since we are primarily a LEGO forum, not a historical forum or arguing forum :hmpf: - so if this continues, the thread will be locked. This will save everyone some time and save the moderators from having to intercede in topics that are not strictly LEGO related.

If you feel a member has behaved inappropriately in-thread, use the 'REPORT' button - that's what it's for. Keep your Private Message arguments private.

Thanks.

Thanks so much for those pictures! My badge is exactly the same as on that Canvas Pith Helmet. I think there are three prongs on the back of mine, but it doesn't particularly matter. Since it is not original to the helmet, and I think I know where to buy a matching one, I'll probably take it off of the helmet to keep them together as a pair.

EDIT: Sorry, Svelte.

Edited by The Who