Sign in to follow this  
Siegfried

The Luvly Laady

ll0w.jpg

The Story

The story behind The Luvly Laady is an odd one.

Clive Robertson was a successful business man living on Talemi, who had made his fortune selling bread. He was much loved too, mostly because he was the lead-by-example type. At least once a week he helped out at one of the factories, taking over any one of the workers jobs, and offering them the day off. (It was an informal tradition to stay anyway.) Since the bread industry was highly automated, this was a quite big deal; most factories had at most 20 workers. It was one of these days that he was driving a transporter, and it all went wrong. One of the engines cut out, leaving the transporter with insufficient power to maintain altitude. Clive could have ejected, but (as he said later) he didn't want to loose the cargo. That he was able to save... but he lost his right leg and left hand. (The bread was OK.)

Here's where the story gets odd. Ordinarily losing a limb is a minor concern; clone repair or a cyborg replacements are commonplace and relatively cheap. But Clive refused these and instead got by with... a hook and peg-leg. He then sold everything, and put all his money in commissioning this ship.

ll01n.jpg

It became the talk of the galaxy; nice guy looks like a cliché pirate due to accident and then builds ship to match. It all seemed so funny... until it was finished and he actually started acting like one as well! He'd set up an ambush in a busy transit corridor, fire a warning blast, and radio "Prepare to be boarded!". However since his only crew was a robot it was never taken very seriously. Eventually though something had to be done, and thus he was arrested when he berthed next on charges of piracy.

The trial didn't last long however. Considering his past (and his rather expensive lawyer) it was mostly dropped and he was given the punishment of community service. For this he did some free transporting using The Luvly Laady and once it was over he just kept working in shipping. He even occasionally does tourist trips...

ll02n.jpg

The Ship

The Luvly Laady is not as impractical a ship as a casual glance would imply. She's capable of deep Dimensioning, of almost fighter like acceleration, and is very manoeuvrable considering her bulk. While she's more designed as a pure space craft, planetary operations are possible. The forward mast is in realty a crane arm, and the main one is used to generate a ram-scoop field. Even the rudder is useful; it's capable of directing the auxiliary drive! Inside she can carry two standard containers.

In terms of armaments she is powerful, but inflexible. 48 military surplus plasma cannons give her the same fire-power as 8 Jury-Class fighters, but since Clive chose to ignore thousands of years of warship building experience, they are all fixed on the side. Thus while The Luvly Laady has an absolutely killer broadside, she is vulnerable to the top, bottom, side and rear. This also means she isn't a very good pirate ship as she can't accelerate with the main or directional drive and fire at the same time. (This was one of the main arguments given during the piracy trial.)

Like most ships of this size, she's highly automated so aside from Clive only an android is needed for normal operations.

ll03n.jpg

The MOC

This was all rather rushed due to my recent move so I don't consider this complete (are MOCs ever?); hopefully I'll get around to finishing it in a few months. Thus I'm open to suggestions!

DSC04512es.JPG

DSC04514es.JPG

DSC04517es.JPG

Poor walrus - looks to me as though you're being mistreated there, although I'm not sure precisely how... Then again, I guess that's better then being whacked continously once again by Hinck... er, by that madman who's somehow reached outer space (wno can stop him now!!! We've gotta do something...)

The Luvly Lady is... luvly, Sieggy, and as impractical as her cannon arrangement might look, I'm sure it works wonders on unsuspecting real interstellar pirates - must be a nice surprise once they've decided she's harmless enough to be approached (sorta like an actula real-life lady there!). My one suggestion (yeah, the perils of trying to be a creative critic - you become annoying almost immediately - tell me about it): add an EMP Pulse function. Of course, that would render the cheerful Xmas android absolutely useless for a good few minutes, but as long as the Cap'n knows what he's doing, that time could be enough to steal all the blue buckets, sugar candy and/or whacking hammers in the universe!

Now then - how can I vote for this? :pir-tongue:

Oh dear...

I see a ship with powerful engines, and quadguns. *huh* They are pretty nicely done.

She looks evil with the skull at the stern, and the figurehead looks very interesting. :pir-classic:

I believe I'm very lucky to see this ship does not actual foams the seven seas, instead she sails the galacy. :pir_laugh2:

Hinckley and the mutated shark thing is a nice touch. :pir-tongue:

Hey Siggy, great work! I don't usually get excited about space MOCs, but this is an exception to that rule. I love your back story, and the ship is great too. My only suggestion is to swap out the gun flaps for red, black or white 2 x 2 flags. IMO the combinations don't look that great, although that's really the only thing I don't like. Give me a minute and this will be blogged.png

Wow, impressive story and ship, The Luvly Laady is a great addition to your fleet!

Much luck with the PTV3 Staff contest!

Haha, that's awesome, real Space Pirates!!!

I love how it for the most part retains the look of a ship, and then has a sweet engine and blaster area.

Your PS skills are good too, with the black background and all.

Very entertaining view!

She is a lovely lady indeed! Really good job Siegfried on everything especially the streamlined engines. Have you seen the movie "Treasure Planet"? Because this ship reminds me a little bit of one of the ships from that movie.

Nice work Sieggy, this looks very nice for a fantasy sci fi based pirate ship. The quad guns and skull as well as the engine greebling all add to the overall design nicely.

Great work Sieggy! I love the overall shape, kind of tugboaty and snug rather than a fearsome killing Pirates vessel :laugh: It has that foreshortened effect, which in ships always makes them look cuter (I think this is partly due to photography and I bet it looks different in person). The rear thrusters and the additional detail added to the basic hull piece definitely improve the sculptural shape and the cannon subtitutes are a brilliantly simple and effective technique for those who constantly whine that there aren't nearly enough official ones ships to make them 'realistic' (hello! It's LEGO!). I love the use of the curved pieces to enclose the deck area where Clive commands his doman!

The only suggestion I would have made is that the rear skeleton face could be made a little more alien. I would have liked to have seen it in a more atypical skull version of an Area 51 'grey', with the bulging dome head and pointy eyes, just to make it a little more spacey :pir-tongue:

Lovely work! :wub:

Thanks everyone for their comments!

The Luvly Lady is... luvly, Sieggy, and as impractical as her cannon arrangement might look, I'm sure it works wonders on unsuspecting real interstellar pirates - must be a nice surprise once they've decided she's harmless enough to be approached (sorta like an actula real-life lady there!).

:pir-tongue: I do have plans for this ship so I can't say much, but yes, the cannons aren't useless.

My one suggestion (yeah, the perils of trying to be a creative critic - you become annoying almost immediately - tell me about it): add an EMP Pulse function.

Possible, but it wouldn't change the look of the MOC much; I could just say the aft mast is one!

Now then - how can I vote for this? :pir-tongue:

There are till a few possible entries. We'll probably start the voting in a week.

My only suggestion is to swap out the gun flaps for red, black or white 2 x 2 flags. IMO the combinations don't look that great, although that's really the only thing I don't like. Give me a minute and this will be blogged.png

I agree... but I'm out of flags! I'll probably Bricklink some more reds later. Thanks for blogging her! :pir-sweet:

Much luck with the PTV3 Staff contest!

Errr, I knew this was late, but is it that late? :pir_wacko:

I love how it for the most part retains the look of a ship, and then has a sweet engine and blaster area.

I'm glad to hear it as that was a main goal; I wanted it to look more sail ship than space ship.

Your PS skills are good too, with the black background and all.

Thanks! I'm learning as I go!

Have you seen the movie "Treasure Planet"? Because this ship reminds me a little bit of one of the ships from that movie.

I have seen it, but it was years ago. I do agree that the design concepts are similar... and it's a shame I didn't think of it myself as I was struggling to find good inspiration photos! :pir_laugh2:

It has that foreshortened effect, which in ships always makes them look cuter (I think this is partly due to photography and I bet it looks different in person).

Not sure. The hull is 4 studs longer than Brick Beards Bounty as it has a plug for the directional engines and a bottom hatch (which is not shown). Thus it isn't shot as such, but the aft deck ended up looking higher that I wanted, even though I did some last minute re-profiling to lower it. I'll add a square looking side shot later...

I love the use of the curved pieces to enclose the deck area where Clive commands his doman!

This was a plan from the start, but I wanted it to be more transparent. Bricklink? :pir_laugh2:

The only suggestion I would have made is that the rear skeleton face could be made a little more alien. I would have liked to have seen it in a more atypical skull version of an Area 51 'grey', with the bulging dome head and pointy eyes, just to make it a little more spacey :pir-tongue:

Actually I don't want it to look any more spacey! My wife had some similar suggestions which I ignored. (At my peril?) Besides, I've already modded the skull so it looks more evil on Sir Dillons advice! :pir-tongue:

Not the usual MOC one would expect in the Pirates forum, that's for sure, but it's a nice and sleek ship!

The skull on the stern looks really mean and dangerous :thumbup:

About the story, I really wonder how you made that up. Did you just start writing and this story came out? It's a bit a weird story, but I enjoyed reading it :pir-wink:

Not the usual MOC one would expect in the Pirates forum, that's for sure, but it's a nice a sleek ship!

I could move it after the contest. :pir_laugh2: In any case, if I update it I'll make a new post in Sci-Fi.

About the story, I really wonder how you made that up. Did you just start writing and this story came out? It's a bit a weird story, but I enjoyed reading it :pir-wink:

I'm glad you liked it. :pir-sweet: Most of my stories I make up while I'm building; sometimes I even change a MOC to suit the story! In this case I needed to have a rich person as a custom ship (space or otherwise) is an expensive undertaking and I needed to give him a reason why he made one. Once I decided on these I just started writing it. Some details (such as Talemi) come from my existing story (this ship will feature in Pt 2 and Pt 3), others (such as the bread angle) we made up on the spot and the story largely just flowed out based on the established facts and how I wanted it to end.

I like telling/writing stories and I think story telling goes hand-in-hand with many MOCs. My personal favourite is the Dwarf one.

I meant much luck with the PTV 2 contest :pir_laugh2: .

Typo of course!

Although you might want to already start preparing your entry for the PTV 3 contest, since I am quite certain there will be prizes for the Staff division then :pir-wink: !

That was it self a fun reading of the back story you made.

I would like to have a closer look at that figure-head.

It is a very good looking Sci Fi Pirates ship. Could work very well with new storys, and new crew as well.