Sign in to follow this  
gcarstensen

MOC: Cumbres & Toltec senic railroad K-36 no. 484

traintech1.jpg

finally, after a half a year of work from concept to finished product i give you....

The Cumbres and Toltec scenic railroad's (ex DRG&W) K-36 mikado (2-8-2) narrow gauge locomotive.

the K-36 is a narrow gauge engine built by the Baldwin locomotive works in 1925 for the DRG&W (Rio Grande) They have 36,000 lbs of tractive effort which is what the 36 in K-36 stands for the K stands for the 2-8-2 wheel arrangement.

just a note this is the same engine that Brian Williams circus train has, I started work on the wheel set 2 weeks before i saw the first pictures of his great model (he beat me to it :wink: ) . I did steal the boiler from him so many thanks to him for that.

more on brickshelf (when moderated)

prototype

1261179553m_DISPLAY.jpg

12611795551_DISPLAY.jpg

12611795562_DISPLAY.jpg

hope you enjoy, this engine was quite a challenge :classic:

Very nice, and definately well worth all the effort that you must have put into this Gcar. I love the old narrow gauge trains from this era, so you certainly picked a nice train to mod in LEGO. I especially like the boiler design. I think this fantastic locomotive is well worth a "front-page" blog. Thanks for sharing with us.

Are you planning on adding any wagons? A Rio Grande caboose and a few train cars would really add to your already outstanding creation.

Great MOC! Your tiled boiler is very impressive, I bet you had some sore fingers and crushed spirits trying to get the internal structure there together! :tongue:

I would love to see a video of this beauty in action if you could find time to record one. This is a very well designed and built train, and I commend you on it. Well done mate, I'm extremely impressed. :thumbup:

Are you planning on adding any wagons? A Rio Grande caboose and a few train cars would really add to your already outstanding creation.

yes i was! i want to build just a bunch of brown flatcars (plain i know) in 8 wide

Great MOC! Your tiled boiler is very impressive, I bet you had some sore fingers and crushed spirits trying to get the internal structure there together! :tongue:

I would love to see a video of this beauty in action if you could find time to record one. This is a very well designed and built train, and I commend you on it.

you have no idea how i labored over that boiler! i spent my 5 day thanksgiving break just to build it, i only stopped to eat and sleep :cry_sad:

i give you guys a video sometime after Christmas because i am going away and coming back on Christmas eve

thank you :classic:

yes i was! i want to build just a bunch of brown flatcars (plain i know) in 8 wide

A bunch of brown flatcars sounds awesome to go with this great locomotive! There are so many amazing details and greebles, especially around the locomotive's drive wheels. One question, how is it powered?

That's bigger than it looks at first glance. Really nice. Definitely looking forward to the video.

BTW, you don't mention the type of power. Is this PF?

sorry but it is currently unpowered :sad:

i might put PF in it but i'm going to power my berkshire first

i'll still have i video, the counterweights are really cool looking when they're moving

Edited by gcarstensen

i'll still have i video, the counterweights are really cool looking when they're moving

Very nice loco. The best ones usually take a long time.

My Class 14 diesel loco has counterweights, though they are on a jack shaft.

Not many British locos have separate counterweights on the same shaft as the wheels.

Mark

Kudos to you on this wonderful MOC. You have really captured the mechanism and the details. Outside frame tea kettles are so interesting to watch... so next step is to get it moving. My Circus Train will go through a rebuild (hopefully by BW2010) to convert it over to PF using the "Sava-Shupp Minitruck" tender drive. Race ya ;-)

- BMW

:sceptic:

Pretty impressive. I've seen the Cumbres & Toltec on Great Scenic Railway Journeys.

Some great engineering on that railway.