Pugsly

Review:7595 Army Men on Patrol

Hmm... Maybe I could switch up the heads and hands to make some non-tan-uniform Nazis for Lego Indy displays. Or I could just explain them away as a camo team that's a little too into their work.

Thanks and great review!

The jeep looks like the Indy Brickmaster Promo in regular Green.

What interests me most is the green suitcase and radio :laugh:

I however am sad that they made the metal detector in green, as mine now is no longer a special/rare part :cry_sad:

What a great set. Brings back M*A*S*H flashbacks loved that show.

Just need to change the hands and heads and you have your own army unit.

and if that price is true definately want a few of those.

Getting to be a few factions with the different coloured soldiers in Indiana Jones and now these american mash looking characters.

and Ill finish with ha WOOHOO!!

I'll tell you: if soldiers in WWII actually wore uniforms in this color, they'd be dead in minutes.

But Lego does not do military sets, for good reason. These are not Lego representations of soldiers, these are Lego representations of toy soldiers.

Still, it is going down a slippery slope for Lego. But I will get the set in case I need some military looking bad guys - and you guys have listed more use for the green heads than I could have imagined already.

But Lego does not do military sets, for good reason. These are not Lego representations of soldiers, these are Lego representations of toy soldiers.

They are representations of toy soldiers which were in those weird colours because once bought, they were supposed to be painted. My friend had quite a few of those back in the old days. So who knows, perhaps we are supposed to paint them as well? :classic:

Edited by Dreamweb

Still, it is going down a slippery slope for Lego. But I will get the set in case I need some military looking bad guys - and you guys have listed more use for the green heads than I could have imagined already.

eti, your are absolutely right: like all the Lego Toy Story sets, these are sort of meta-toys representing other toys. An interesting concept, whichever way you look at it!

They are representations of toy soldiers which were in those weird colours because once bought, they were supposed to be painted. My friend had quite a few of those back in the old days. So who knows, perhaps we are supposed to paint them as well?

Also true. I remember the plastic bags of these green soldiers very well: they were very cheap.

My grandparents had large collections of comparable toy figures, but actually cast in lead (the health hazards were less known back in the day). These too were meant to be painted.

Edited by Alldarker

I assume the minifig stands fit pressed down on a baseplate?

I was wondering this as well. Anyone have any information about this?

Wonderful review! I'll be certain to get this set, the army helmets are spectacular and I love the green coats. No idea what I'll use the green faces for, but I'm sure I'll think of something good, perhaps as Poison Ivy plant-goons? The jeep is great, I really am lacking in green tiles so this is a big win for a set.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Also, Lego army guys only have, like three shades of green they need to blend into. Real WWII army guys had many more :wink:

Also, Lego army guys only have, like three shades of green they need to blend into. Real WWII army guys had many more :wink:

Good point! These guys will blend in great in a LEGO forest. :classic:

That color green would be more appropriate in a Vietnam era MOC anyway... when you combine it with the green rifle, it could very easily be a Special Operations squad making their way through the jungle to a Viet Cong hideout.

Nice review. I'll be buying lots of these sets. I always loved Army Guys growing up and now that they are LEGO. Oh wow, the planets aligned just right on this one.

Very good review but it lacks the most important thing! Remove green hands and heads and ann standard yellow ones!

My thoughts exactly.. :cry_happy: . now to get a few boxes of these so I can do that!

Ralph

Just got this; my local Target had 'em for $10.99. Only bought one, but I'm sure I'll get many more in the future!

I picked up one of these tonight and it is fantastic. I'm going to go back tomorrow and buy two or three more. I can't get enough of these guys.

I assume the minifig stands fit pressed down on a baseplate? They seem the same dimensions as a 2 x 4 plate, only with some rounded edges. I'm sure some MOC-ers will come up with some creative uses for these pieces.
I was wondering this as well. Anyone have any information about this?

Yes, they fit onto a normal baseplate just fine. They take up the same amount of space as a normal 2x4 plate, but the two studs are offset (along the 2 wide dimension). They are a little tougher to pull up than a normal plate, because they fit pretty flush, but it isn't too hard because they don't have quite the same grip strength (just because of their odd shape, not because of any poor quality).

What a nice set :wub: I think I'll buy at least 5 of these, there just so great :thumbup:

Thanks for the great review, you did a top-notch job on the super closeups.

Well, I went back and bought three more today, so now I have 16 green army men. Now I can do a great diorama or something...

I'm actually thinking the torso might be cool to mix in with a group of Forestmen, just to help round out numbers. (At least until the Impulses arrive.)

I just got this set today, and I just wanna say that my set has none of the colour variation that yourself and Clone O'Patra seemed to get. Everything is exactly the same shade of green. The accessory plastic is likewise just as sturdy as it should be, not bendy at all. Everything's perfect.

Great review! I am happy to see that the medic helm is printed.

Certainly will pick up at least two of these once they become available in The Netherlands.

Have just finish building this set, I must say the printing on the head is lighter than the torsos and that jeep is very realistic and cool !

My son enjoyed putting the minifigs together and most of the jeep too - of course as dads have to finsh what they start as usual.