Old pictures:

front

Side views:

left

right

Let's take a close look at those brae men's faces

faces

Update (thanks for the suggestions about the parrot):

Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Parrot)

parrot

Edited by SlyOwl

Very clever General. I wouldn't want to be in the boat with those Pirates!

Hey! A new original idea for a MOC. Haven't seen anything like this in this contest so far. So that's great! There are some interesting things going on in this moc. I like the waves and the use of the flags is brilliant in my honest opinion. The only thing I have mixed feelings about is the parrot with the stick up his but. If you want to add a parrot you could put him on the hilt of a sword which you put in a barrel, or make a stand out of 2 1x1 round bricks with a 1x2 tile with one stud in the middle on top of the 1x1 rounds. But the most perfect solution is this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sirnadroj/3322224597/

Give the parrot a minifig hand to represent his feet. A great idea of Sir Nadroj if I'm not mistaken.

~Bart

Another hilarious entry there :) Well done General!! Green on! ;]

I fully support your idea and can't wait to see a shark- or dolphin-powered Imperial Flagship :pir_laugh2: Seriously though - I wouldn't have expected those scallywags to come up with such a brilliant idea! I must say I'm impressed...

What I think this MOC could use as an improvement is a small selection of tiles and other blue/ trans-clear pieces underneath the boat - that way it would look more "out of control" - perhaps if you'd put some tiles & plates under one side only, it would look more realistic (especially given the shark's massive power output :pir-tongue:). Of course, you could always try and make the boat look as if it were jumping around behind the shark - but that might end up being a bit misleading in the sense of pirates jumping the shark. Which is also a bit ironic, bearing in mind the distinct possibility that our beloved Pirates line might be turned into a POTC licensed series... But I digress.

Back to that boat again - if you have enough bricks to do that, I'd highly suggest trying to "hide" portions of that boat so that it really looks as if it's in motion. That way you could have the boat sit sideways or semi-upright, which would add tons of realism to this. Those two sloped pieces at the front are a nice attempt at that, but I think that SlyOwl is the MOCcer with most experience regarding such techniques - just take a look at his Tortuga or Port Royal MOCs... the first one features a wonderfully offset boat and the second one portrays a desperate sailor in a half-sunk-yet-still-floating crate ;) If only he knew then that sharks could be harnessed!

As to the bird sitting (?) on that pole, I have to agree with badboytje88... The way the parrot is positioned right now really looks a bit too concerning for its own health! I personally would suggest placing it either on the pole which the "captain" is holding (using the minifig hand technique), or slightly loose on top of a barrel (perhaps adding a couple of trans-clear round plates below it) - so that it looks like the poor animal is either going to fall off or get seasick soon ;)

Other than that (with "that" being mere suggestions rather than actual criticism), I don't really think there's anything wrong with this entry. As far as building style goes, I really enjoy the use of blue grills and flags around the shark and story-wise, it's quite clever and really stands out from the rest ;) Good luck in the competition mate!

Thank you!

I rotated the musket upside down and put the parrot on it using minifig hand - now it really looks better.

Later I'll try to improve the water near the boat board.

You've got a great sense of action here, using mainly classic pieces, if I'm not mistaken.

Regarding categories, this seems to fit best within the medium category, but technically it fits within the large category (16+ studs in one dimension). A solution to this would be to build the MOC diagonally across a 16x16 area, as it would largely fit. Currently this entry, if placed diagonally across a 16x16 square overlaps a bit too much - a reduction by a little bit would make the staff feel more at ease with the category placement.

Of course, you're welcome to big-up this entry, and enter it in the large category e.g. a shark-boat race (or octopus-boat vs shark-boat vs crocodile-boat race...) :pir-tongue:

Wow you changed it so fast! I think this looks so much better!

quote:

octopus-boat vs shark-boat vs crocodile-boat race

SlyOwl, you rule! This woul be such a great idea if you have the pieces. Man I want to start building something like this myself!

Edited by badboytje88

mainly classic pieces

indeed! :)

A solution to this would be to build the MOC diagonally across a 16x16 area, as it would largely fit.

OK, I'll try to locate the boat diagonally

Of course, you're welcome to big-up this entry, and enter it in the large category e.g. a shark-boat race (or octopus-boat vs shark-boat vs crocodile-boat race...)

This sounds interesting! :) I started thinking over the harnessing and steering mechanisms

Edited by General

Updated :)

With even more movimiento now! Brill :] I only think that placing that blue plate underneath the boat would actually help it look as if it were jerking around... which caused that poor fella to fall overboard in the first place. Nice additions though and a brilliant way of taking on board what SlyOwl suggested regarding the downsizing approach!

I see you changed the moc. I like it. The peddel in the water is a nice toutch. The position of the minifigs is nice too. It looks asif the boat is actually moving fastly. The only small thing i could think which would improve the MOC is the color of the parrot foot to a yellow minifig hand. Since the parrot is red, his feet are red and the ship is red.

Bart