For my 1000th post I want to present my best creation so far,

JCB 3CX Backhoe Loader

Construction equipment is my favorite Lego sub-theme.

Backhoe Loaders are my favorite type of machines, because they are like swiss army knife, they has everything.

95005b05adf167dbbde4c2f.jpg01bb149661746e952d187478c56ea2df.jpg

The machine itself consist of 3 main sections:

- Tractor, for pulling or towing load,

- Loader, for loading loads into the trailers,

- Backhoe, very compact, very useful digging arm.

Building just one of this in Lego can be tricky, building all of this in one vehicle sounds impossible.

This is for sure my most complicated project ever.

For this model I used official JCB 3cx PDF sheet and scale it down to 1/13 scale on computer, and made .ldr file, to see does it look good and to have perfectly proportioned model.

jcbavatar.jpg46068763u.jpg

Guidelines during construction phase:

On this model I had to put many functions as never before.

And to make every Linear Actuator work by deliver torque from appropriate motor.

And to make everything stiff to withstand great weight and pressure from cylinders, so rugged technic skeleton-frame was first in building list.

Next chalenge was to cover technic pieces with normal bricks, slopes and tiles, to achive realistic look, detailed and curved.

Aesthetic was of great importance in this model.

37783214.jpg

Equipment:

It has 8 Motors

It has 4 Receivers

It has 7 Linear Actuators

It has 4 PF Extension Cables

It has 2 Pneumatic cylinders, can't forget good old pneumatics

It has 2 new rechargeable Battery boxes set 8878

It is operated by new speed remote control, which can adjust speed of the motors in 7 speeds, so the tractor can accelerate gradualy, slow down gradually or drive really slow, which looks great, or fast if needed.

72641963.th.jpg61271920.th.jpg

Model featuring:

-Drive 1 XL Motor

-Steer 1 M Motor

-Loader rise 1 M Motor

-Loader Bucket 1 M Motor

-Backhoe rotate 1 M Motor

-Backhoe rise 1 M Motor

-Backhoe Dipper 1 M Motor

-Backhoe Bucket 1 M Motor

-Supporting Legs 2 Pneumatic Cylinders

6ed98e83856f95f2bba2f401ade72d24.jpg

Tractor:

On pictures it looks compact, but i assure you it is a really massive model, packed with parts very tight, and thus, very heavy.

Details are there to improve overall appearance, details inluding metallic silver steps, tiles on every stud, no-sliping floor in the cabin, detailed interior, dish covering on rims, printed round headlights, curvy fenders, curvy roof, sloped hood.

This is my first model which has stickers, you can see for yourself are they success or failure, personally, I like them, they give another realism note, imo.

Battery boxes are hidden in black brick-built boxes, which is supposed to be accumulators on real vehicle, and the steps.

Front axle is tiltable, like on real machine, so the two back wheels are always keeping the contact with the ground.

Steered wheels can turn near the angle of 45 degrees.

Drive has optional second differential, to help spread the toque to two diffs instead on only one.

Drive has 2 stage reduction, with final hub reduction to keep diff(s) with lower torque.

For the back wheels I have chosen the biggest available tires from set Power Puller. These big rugged tires are perfect for this vehicle, Big surface is ideal to spread its big weight and avoid any slippage.

I wanted to have a gearbox, but the I have received speed remote control, so I had practically 7 froward and 7 reverse speeds! Nice!

Here is how I did drive:

jcbdrive1.th.pngjcbdrive.th.png

Front Loader:

Front loader bucket is made out of the bricks, every existing bucket is too small. This one is made from black bricks in 24 wide scale.

Loader has 2 LA's to lift the frame with bucket, and two LA's to operate bucket angle.

It was one of the trickiest sections to build, mainly because of the extremely limited space, and problems with delivering power to all of the LA's.

Here is how the bucket operates with two M Motors (the third one is for steering with pulley:

jcbsteerraise.th.pngjcbsteerraise1.th.png

Backhoe:

Backhoe was a great challenge, too. I has to be narrow, strong and slick. Also it has to house 3 M Motors, 3 Linear Actuators, their cables, and to look good.

I made it 5 studs wide, it has good movements range, and I am very happy with the result.

97895577.jpg

Conclusion:

I am very impressed with the real Backhoe Loader, and I have always been. So this model was of great importance to me, and I really enjoyed making it!

I have already build one backhoe loader, but it was very basic, limited in functions and not very detailed.

But this one, I think, is completed with a much better result, which is proportional by the number of bricks used, time invested, and experience involved.

I had to change the frame design 3 times to make it able to hold few motors, battery boxes, cables and gears and axles, which goes into the frame, and to be supper strong, and to make all parts free from bumping into each other.

Price of the final model...somewhere near the price of few 8285 crane trucks, hard labor not included.

NOT ALL THE PICTURES ARE SHOWED YET. I HAVE TO UPLOAD PICTURES OF THE FINISHED MODEL!

Dimensions:

Weight: 5 kg

Lenght for riding: 60 cm

Lenght with arm extend: 80 cm

Width: 19.2cm

Height: 32 cm

Parts used: approx: 4000 pieces

Building ime: 3 months

shemaj.jpg

Thanks for reading and please tell me what do you think about it!

Edited by Milan

This is one of the most complex MOCs I have ever seen! It's impressive how you managed to fit so many liniar actuators and still having such a nice design, it really looks like a JCB.

The model looks small in the pictures, although at 4000 pieces it's certainly huge.

I think the back wheels are a little too wide and with what did you cover them?

Also, is it 4WD because I know the original is.

Keep up the good work!

Your loader is just great-i just don't want to see how you hide all functions because I'll have complexes ;P

Rear arm look very good-when I see the M motors hide in it I can't believe my eyes. I found only one defect- yellow cover of rear wheels looks unrealistic. If you think you can sell it in price like 8258 you are crazy-in my opinion it should cost like two Crane Trucks :)

Sergiu

Thanks a lot!

Here is the part for the tire

41750.png

the rest is ordinary 3x1 sloped, curved brick!

No it is just 2wd, chassis is already crowded to the max!

The real one does exist as a 2wd for North America market!

kondzios230

Thanks, man

I will make a video when I get home, there you will be able to see how it functions!

Do you have idea how to make better wheel coverings?

I tried almost everything, this looks like best choice!

No I am not crazy...I am not going to sell it!

I just said how much it costs me to build it!

Thanks again, guys! :classic:

Edited by Milan

WOW love it . Really nice job :)

Thanks for the pics showing how the gears and stuff work very interesting and help full in generating new ideas.

Great MOC and very faithful to the original!

I'm going crazy trying to find the 7th LA... There are three in the front (two to raise the arm and one to tip the bucket) and three in the back (one for each part of the arm and a third for the bucket.). So where's number 7?

Great MOC and very faithful to the original!

I'm going crazy trying to find the 7th LA... There are three in the front (two to raise the arm and one to tip the bucket) and three in the back (one for each part of the arm and a third for the bucket.). So where's number 7?

I'm guessing the last one moves the bucket arm side to side like the pneumatic cylinder on 8455.

WOW! :oh:

You have a knack for producing amazing Technic MOCs Milan :wub:

Very Good job with this! :thumbup:

Looks like the real thing! :oh:

Great job!

CommanderFox

Awesome model. You have been quite prolific with these MOCs lately. :classic: This is packed with functions like 8455 but it has the precision of LAs. I look forward to seeing the rest of the pictures.

As others said, I think the model somehow looks smaller than it actually is. I only got an idea of the size from the black turntable in the back. Are the rear wheels the 8466/8457 ones?

Do you have idea how to make better wheel coverings?

You might try using 3x3 or 4x4 black dishes instead of the 2x2 ones. I like how you used the yellow dishes, but the black hubs in front look a little small compared to the size of the wheels.

I'm guessing the last one moves the bucket arm side to side like the pneumatic cylinder on 8455.

No, the 7th actuator is actually on the loader!

As a real machine, my model has 2 actuators to lift the loader, and two actuators to tilt the bucket. Just check the first picture in the first post!

Backhoe arm is rotated by M motor!

But it will be seen at the next picture update, I am working very hard to finish it and to make video, but weather is terrible, and I want to show you guys how the model is performing!

As for the size, it is pretty big, when maximally folded, ready for driving, it is 60 cm long!

Thanks to all who comment this!

Update will follow!

As per blackbirds comment earlier, does the rear arm traverse along the back of the tractor? Or is it fixed, hard to see in the pictures, I guess it may be fixed as you don't mention additional motors or pneumatics to make it move?

But all in all, very nice

As far as I can tell there's 'only' the turn table.

Edited by Jetro

As per blackbirds comment earlier, does the rear arm traverse along the back of the tractor? Or is it fixed, hard to see in the pictures, I guess it may be fixed as you don't mention additional motors or pneumatics to make it move?

But all in all, very nice

Blakbird commented about rotating the arm, if I am not mistaking, not sliding the whole arm left-right. That would be quite hard to build it, while keeping the model as close to the real thing visually!

I will post a video tomorrow showing back arm in action.

Ok, I am little late with the video, just dont have the time for really preparation, but as I am building the next sections of it to work very good, I will use better scene for next videos...

As before, this is just a WIP, and backhoe is using new rechargeable battery box...

AS you can see in the video, I am still a completely newbie operator, and I will have to learn to operate it better, and use higher speed, from speed remote control.

Backhoe can go really low, approx 20 cm bellow the machine itself, I did not want to do this without the outriggers, in next video for sure...

YouTube of the Backhoe in action

Next video is driving and steering, with 7 speeds remote!

Edited by Milan

looks good it is good that you can do two funtions at the same time are you going to biuld a newer version with side shift and extra dig?,i am working on the arm on my excavator

Thanks, Alasdair Ryan, on your feedback! :classic:

Actually, I can do 4 function at the same time, but as you could saw in a video, I am struggling with operating just one function (when yo hear crack, it means that cylinder is at the limit, and safe clutch is slipping)

Thankfully, i am much better at operating it now, and much quicker, it looks more realistic when it moves the backhoe.

No, side shift would be nightmare for building, main problems are big fat ires at the back, which leaves just 8 wide space for chassis, and backhoe MUST be merged with the chassis really well.

Also M Motor for rotating the backhoe is hidden, and I would like to stay that way, if it would have side shift Motor would have to be exposed, at it looks ugly (tried it)

Extra dig...no, It would ruin the relatively realistic and thin backhoe. Also, there is no more IF Channels for controlling it :hmpf_bad: ...8 PF functions+1 pneumatic

Video of the driving is in preparation.

Looking forward to your excavator :thumbup: