Sign in to follow this  
Luke McAwesome

RV Mobile Lab and SUV Field Research Vehicles

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I am proud to present to you, my latest pair of MOCs! A pair of expedition vehicles for all your dinosaur-spotting needs. These are just some vehicles for my upcoming series of MOCs and scenes. :grin:

An RV and an SUV? You may be thinking "I understand that an RV would be good to spend the night in after a long day in the field, but what good would it do for research? And what about the SUV?"

My response?

See for yourself. :wink:

RV Mobile Lab and SUV Field Research Vehicles - A World Lost to Nature

tlw_1_two.jpg

Let's begin our tour, shall we?

SUV

tlw_2.jpg

Here's our modified Mercedes-Benz M-Class, which includes a GPS inserted into the dashboard, a toolbox in the back, a winch, barred windows for protection against the pesky dinos, and a computer system in the back of the cab. We also have our two-way hand-held-radios, an Apple laptop, a tranquilizer gun just in case, and a Nikon camera for taking pictures of some of the most spectacular animals on Earth, which by that I mean the ones that have been dead for millions of years.

tlw_4.jpg

tlw_5.jpg

(Tranquilizer gun is BrickArms HCSR prototype.)

RV and Trailer

tlw_8.jpg

And here's our RV, it has all you'll need for a few days in the field. Including sleeping space for four, a table and chairs, and a sink.

tlw_10_resized.jpg

tlw_12.jpg

And here's our RV trailer. This is where the real work is done. We have a satellite phone, radios, a desk, and a desk outfitted with technology I can't even begin to explain. We also get internet. What's ironic is that our trailer is just about as long as the RV towing it!

tlw_11.jpg

tlw_18.jpg

---

I hope you enjoyed our tour of our research vehicles.

---

Expect actual scenes and dioramas soon!

See the Brickshelf gallery once moderated for more inside pictures.

Thanks for looking!

Striker

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Great work, although I see you still haven't decided the best way to do an accordian fold (I readz your topic!) :wink:

I just read The Lost World recently, and these are pretty much like I remember them from the book. I seem to remember that the trailer had a table in the hanging-over-the-cliff scene, but perhaps I've got it backwards in my head. Look forward to seeing your dioramas.

I would love to see your interpretation of the high-hide, as well.

Great work, although I see you still haven't decided the best way to do an accordian fold (I readz your topic!) :wink:

Thanks! I gave up on that. I think it's just simpler to do it like this. :wink:

I just read The Lost World recently, and these are pretty much like I remember them from the book. I seem to remember that the trailer had a table in the hanging-over-the-cliff scene, but perhaps I've got it backwards in my head. Look forward to seeing your dioramas.

I just read it a week or two ago, as well. Wonderful book, absolutely wonderful.

The trailer right now actually has two tables in it, it's just not visible in the current pictures. Just wait until the Brichself gallery is moderated, and you'll see it.

I would love to see your interpretation of the high-hide, as well.

Click to see it!

By the way, the cast here in these MOCs are Jack "Doc" Thorne, Eddie Carr, Ian Malcolm, and Sarah Harding(I changed her hair at the last moment. Not sure why...). I may also eventually make Arby Benton and Kelly Curtis, too.

Edited by Striker

Hello!

Those vehicles really catch the spirit of certain Dinosaur movies. :wink: These are great examples for many different colours working perfectly together. All those green and brown shades are combined very well here. I also like the glass slopes on the top of the caravan combination. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

By the way, the cast here in these MOCs are Jack "Doc" Thorne, Eddie Carr, Ian Malcolm, and Sarah Harding(I changed her hair at the last moment. Not sure why...). I may also eventually make Arby Benton and Kelly Curtis, too.

Yes, I was just the tiniest bit disappointed that there were no cabinets in the trailer for Arb and Kel to hide in :wink: . T'would take up a lot of room, I suppose.

As I said in Little Brick School House this is an excellent moc but aren't those bunk bed's a little to small. :thumbup:

That's all I have to say about this moc and I can't wait till the diorama.

Yes, I was just the tiniest bit disappointed that there were no cabinets in the trailer for Arb and Kel to hide in :wink: . T'would take up a lot of room, I suppose.

If there was a cabinet big enough to hold two midget minifigs, it would take up half of the trailer. :grin:

As I said in Little Brick School House this is an excellent moc but aren't those bunk bed's a little to small. :thumbup:

I don't think so... their sort of for display, but minifigs can fit on the bottom beds. :wink:

That's all I have to say about this moc and I can't wait till the diorama.

Yeah, I can't wait either. Hopefully you'll like it. :sweet:

Nice MOCs. I haven't seen the movie or book but I think the SUV is a little multi-colored. Also, what's with the Striker in the bottom of ya pics? Have you copyrighted yourself? Or, should I say, TradeMarked? :wink:

Edited by YG-49

These vehicles would be interesting even without knowing from which movie they came.

Camo is nice, interior also, it just looks to me that trailer is somehow empty inside.

I really like the appearance of these two vehicles!

Fantastic work Striker, the camouflage look on the vehicles is great. You've really pulled off the mobile lab really well, that thick, long design normally wouldn't go down well with me but the details such as the doors, numbers, front bullbar and rack on top look brilliant. The SUV is also great, my favourite touch being the winch on front. I don't think it is quite as good as the mobile lab however.

If there's one criticism to give, it's the use of lime green for me, I just don't think it meshes and would prefer to have on of the other colours in its place.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

I know there are lots of details that are great, but I have to point out the windshield wipers.

I have never seen that done before, and it seems so simple!

Great idea!

Nice MOCs. I haven't seen the movie or book but I think the SUV is a little multi-colored. Also, what's with the Striker in the bottom of ya pics? Have you copyrighted yourself? Or, should I say, TradeMarked? :wink:

Thanks. I like to take precautions now and again in case my pictures are taken or used. It's for protection against people stealing your pictures. Sure, they could crop it out, but it was a worth a shot.

These vehicles would be interesting even without knowing from which movie they came.

Camo is nice, interior also, it just looks to me that trailer is somehow empty inside.

I really like the appearance of these two vehicles!

Thanks, Milan! Yeah, I was trying to tink of what to put in there. Maybe I'll add some more little details.

Fantastic work Striker, the camouflage look on the vehicles is great. You've really pulled off the mobile lab really well, that thick, long design normally wouldn't go down well with me but the details such as the doors, numbers, front bullbar and rack on top look brilliant. The SUV is also great, my favourite touch being the winch on front. I don't think it is quite as good as the mobile lab however.

If there's one criticism to give, it's the use of lime green for me, I just don't think it meshes and would prefer to have on of the other colours in its place.

Batbrick, coming from you, that means a lot! :grin:

And yeah, I thought some of the colors were kind of random, too. Although, I can't really fix the lime green hood, because it's the only one in a green tone I have. And it has the little hatch/box on its stickr like on the real vehicle. :wink:

31_mercedes_benz_m_class_jurassic_park_2.jpg

I know there are lots of details that are great, but I have to point out the windshield wipers.

I have never seen that done before, and it seems so simple!

Great idea!

Yeah, not my original idea, but for some reason not many people use them on MOCs. :look:

Very good work Striker :thumbup: .I like the big vehicle and colors of it(them) too.

Thank you, MantaMan! :classic:

Very nice. I like the bunk beds, and the overall design of the vehicles.

Excellent work!

Very nice. I like the bunk beds, and the overall design of the vehicles.

Thanks! Everyone seems to be having a debate over the bunkbeds! :laugh: Some people like it, some don't. But that's like every MOC, eh? :grin:

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. :sweet:

I saw this a couple of days ago and didn't respond back then. Let me start by saying that you've captured the overall look of the vehicles from the movie with great attention to detail. The front of the camper in particular looks really nice and I like the interior (including the buink beds). However, there are a couple of things that bug me bit and that could probably be done much nicer without too much effort.

I don't like the fact that the wheels on the SUV are bigger than the wheels on the camper, especially since the latter look rather small for a vehicle that is eight studs wide (nine including the mudguards). I realise that the wheels on RVs tend to be somewhat on the small size for the size of the vehicles, certainly if you compare them to a proper truck. Still, IMO this one would really benefit from having wheels that are a tad larger.

My biggest bugbear is the camouflage. I feel the colours aren't distributed evenly enough. There is too much green and black compared to the brown and the demarcation lines between the colours are much too long -in particular the one at the lower edge of the roof. It would look for more convincing if you were to break that up a bit by adding some green plate to the construction of the roof as well. The camouflage on the SUV looks a bit too random. It is hard to do camouflage on a small vehicle, but regrouping some of the parts to make the patches of each colour a bit larger would do much for the look.

Cheers,

Ralph

I saw this a couple of days ago and didn't respond back then. Let me start by saying that you've captured the overall look of the vehicles from the movie with great attention to detail. The front of the camper in particular looks really nice and I like the interior (including the buink beds). However, there are a couple of things that bug me bit and that could probably be done much nicer without too much effort.

Thanks! And I'll go over and respond to what you've said...

I don't like the fact that the wheels on the SUV are bigger than the wheels on the camper, especially since the latter look rather small for a vehicle that is eight studs wide (nine including the mudguards). I realise that the wheels on RVs tend to be somewhat on the small size for the size of the vehicles, certainly if you compare them to a proper truck. Still, IMO this one would really benefit from having wheels that are a tad larger.

Believe it or not, this miffed me as well. If an SUV has larger wheels than an RV, something's wacky. But I could've designed the car with the smaller wheels instead, but it would've looked ridiculous. I could've also with bigger wheels, but the only bigger size I have would be the old "Jack Stone" wheels and tires. There wouldn't have been as much room inside if I added those clunkers. But the real vehicle has wheels just about the same size as the wheels currently on the RV.

1.jpg

See what I mean? They're really small compared to the vehicle.

My biggest bugbear is the camouflage. I feel the colours aren't distributed evenly enough. There is too much green and black compared to the brown and the demarcation lines between the colours are much too long -in particular the one at the lower edge of the roof. It would look for more convincing if you were to break that up a bit by adding some green plate to the construction of the roof as well. The camouflage on the SUV looks a bit too random. It is hard to do camouflage on a small vehicle, but regrouping some of the parts to make the patches of each colour a bit larger would do much for the look.

I'll have to admit, you've got me here. I was working last night on a (failed) accordion connector, and since I had to redo the back of the RV and the front of the trailer, I figured "Why not fix up the camo a little bit?"

I'll post some pictures of it when I think I've got the design fixed.

Now that is cool, and makes me appreciate your creation even more!

Haha, thanks!

I also managed to find this cute little picture on Google images yesterday.

3.jpg

It's the studio where they filmed the cliff scene! IMO, this is just plain cool!

Not to mention you can just see the little SUV in the back...