Sign in to follow this  
ProducePrincess

Parrot's Perch Pub PTV2 Contest Entry -medium

3981756219_2f7338b4a5.jpg

It was originally going to be a pirate strip club but i didn't have enough space on the baseplate for that kind of thing .This is just as good though right :pir-classic:

So what do you think of it Is the water fine ,is it too cluttered ,etc.

Later i will get better pictures when it is sunny outside .If you want a larger image just go to my flickr account , the link is in my signature.

Edited by SlyOwl

Magnificent! The amount of detail that this MOC has is terrifically stunning! The rocky landscape, the palm-tree and the pub cabin are all so amazing! :pir-classic:

However, here are a few suggestions I think could improve this MOC:

*The umbrella should be a bit bigger; as it doesn't appear to protect Brickbeard from the blazing sun very well.

*The water could use a little more detail. Maybe add some more blue transparent plates and 1x1 slopes to it?

Edited by Bricknave

I really like this one, great job. I like the name allot and I think it suits the building well. There are a few things I would change though. First the dark green slope doesn't really fit there, I would use a grey one instead, and I personally would use the other pirate flag.I do like the water but maybe a boat to show how they got there would be a good idea.

It would have been nice to see more angles of this, even if it isn't sunny outside yet.

If the pub is made out of an old ship, you could easily use ship parts to make it more interesting. Like, what if you took a sail from Brickbeard's Bounty and made it into a shade?

I also think there's a lot room for the pub to be expanded... the building itself is almost as small as an 8x8 entry, there could be more seats, a table etc...

I can't see behind it, but it would be cool if there was a cellar in the rocks under the building where casks can be stored.

Also if there was somewhere for people to tie up their boats...

Anyway, these are just some ideas for you to play with. :pir_laugh2:

Awesome entry you've got there already! I like it.

But there's always room for improvement!

- I would add more detail to the water, transparent bricks or light and dark blue plates instead of only blue plates.

- A kind of jetty where people can leave their boats

Furthermore, I don't see a lot to be improved!

Good luck at the contest! :monkey:

Magnificent! The amount of detail that this MOC has is terrifically stunning! The rocky landscape, the palm-tree and the pub cabin are all so amazing! :pir-classic:

However, here are a few suggestions I think could improve this MOC:

*The umbrella should be a bit bigger; as it doesn't appear to protect Brickbeard from the blazing sun very well.

*The water could use a little more detail. Maybe add some more blue transparent plates and 1x1 slopes to it?

Sadly i can't find anything bigger for an umbrella :pir-sceptic: I was thinking though that i could use two palm leaves to create shade for brickbeard.When i tried it out though it didn't look as good as the umbrella.

About the water , I don't have very many dark blue plates or trans blue pieces so i can't really do to much with the water right now.

Awesome entry you've got there already! I like it.

But there's always room for improvement!

- A kind of jetty where people can leave their boats

Furthermore, I don't see a lot to be improved!

Good luck at the contest! :monkey:

I made a small water craft for the imperial customers and what i can do is put a chain connected to it to keep it from floating awat.

I can't do to much though because the space at the front is limited and i don't want it to get cluttered.

Thanks , and more images will come at around 4:00 :monkey:

Thats an absolutely amazing creation.

Though I think doing the sea with tiles or sloping transparents could make it even better.

The story you suggested is in my opinion also a rather nice one.

Wow that's a very nice MOC you made. I like the rocks and i can appreciate the studded water. Gives it that rimpeled water effect.

The only improvement I can think of is using a ship hull or something to make the pub look more like it was created from a pirate ship/

~Badboy

I did a little bit of modding but not much , though i did take new pictures for yall.

3984934365_6f148e13ba.jpg

More pictures on my flickr 8)

During the peace the imperials sold their mighty ships for beer money and now use small barrel sized boats for transportation. Shown here is the imperials newest flagship the HMS Wasted.

There are two reasons why i did not put hull pieces in with the entry #1 not enough space ,# 2 Brick beard only used his cabin and other parts of the ship that weren't needed anymore to buil this pub.

OK, this one is officialy my favourite entry in the Medium category so far! I absolutely LOVE the HMS Wasted, by the way... And I would definitely enjoy a drink with the Captain and his parrot...

As far as Creative Criticizing goes, I can't see anything wrong about this. On the contrary - its details are absolutely impressive so I don't see a reason why you should worry about tiling over the water for example. Perhaps just some hint of a wave along the hull of the majestic HMS Wasted there? I can see a ripple, but I thought adding a bit to that (so that the Wasted is actually positioned a bit sideways) would make the new "ship" look even more hilarious.

The overall concept is brilliant... Great job, Rack Blabbit :pir-tongue: It will take something HUGE to beat this entry and I don't think anyone could come close to implementing their idea so nicely within 16x16 studs...

Edited by TheOtters

This is an excelent entry Black Rabbit, lots of simple detail.

I like the rock formations and the style of the pub lends itself well to being built out of a ship.

I do agree with David's idea about using a sail to create shade, however i think the BB's sails may be a bit large for this piece. Maybe a smaller one such as the one from the 6261 Raft Raiders set, tho that would all depend on what sets you own i guess.

Again great work, cant wait to see what you come up with for the other catagories.

This is an excelent entry Black Rabbit, lots of simple detail.

I like the rock formations and the style of the pub lends itself well to being built out of a ship.

I do agree with David's idea about using a sail to create shade, however i think the BB's sails may be a bit large for this piece. Maybe a smaller one such as the one from the 6261 Raft Raiders set, tho that would all depend on what sets you own i guess.

Again great work, cant wait to see what you come up with for the other catagories.

Thanks

I tried sails for the roof when i was first building this but i found they were to oddly shaped to use on the square roof. I'm probably not going to make a large entry but i a'm looking into making a small one.

What a great entry.

I don't see much that I think will "turn off" the voters. You've taken great pictures, you've made sure that the background is not disturbing the actual MOC (but tape the blue papersheets better together for the final photo) and you've used a lot of the bricks and colours that people like to see in a MOC.

The idea/story it self if great, and you've managed to create something that does the story justice. Very well done.

Youir second edition of the entry is much better than the first, but I would love to see an actual staircase instead of those rope ladders. That would really spice up your entry. I really hope you decide to create a staircase - It would look fantastic if it was made of rocks. I'm going to check back a few times before the competition ends to see if you've decide to make a staircase :pir-tongue:

794518-ROCKY_STAIRS-Riomaggiore.jpg - just to give you a hint

Other than that there's really not much to say. Excellent MOC and good luck in the competition.

Edited by Lorentzen

What a great entry.

I don't see much that I think will "turn off" the voters. You've taken great pictures, you've made sure that the background is not disturbing the actual MOC (but tape the blue papersheets better together for the final photo) and you've used a lot of the bricks and colours that people like to see in a MOC.

The idea/story it self if great, and you've managed to create something that does the story justice. Very well done.

Youir second edition of the entry is much better than the first, but I would love to see an actual staircase instead of those rope ladders. That would really spice up your entry. I really hope you decide to create a staircase - It would look fantastic if it was made of rocks. I'm going to check back a few times before the competition ends to see if you've decide to make a staircase :pir-tongue:

Other than that there's really not much to say. Excellent MOC and good luck in the competition.

Stairs?

It's gonna be pretty hard with the limited space i have but i could maybe make it work. The problem with this is there is only so much detail that can be packed into a 16 by 16 base :pir-hmpf_bad:

Edited by Black Rabbit

Have you tried to build a spiral staircase? It doesn't take up as much space.

spaceball.gif

Edited by Lorentzen

To be perfectly honest, I must say that I don't think I'll enjoy this MOC as much if it had actual "stone" stairs. It's somehow the idea behind it - using the ship to mould the rocks into a great pub - what I like most about this entry. I feel adding stairs to it, while increasing its complexity, might kill off some of its "pirate hand-made" charm.

To be perfectly honest, I must say that I don't think I'll enjoy this MOC as much if it had actual "stone" stairs. It's somehow the idea behind it - using the ship to mould the rocks into a great pub - what I like most about this entry. I feel adding stairs to it, while increasing its complexity, might kill off some of its "pirate hand-made" charm.

I agree, I think it's fine the way it is with the ladder.

I do think, though, that the HMS Wasted would be even more hysterical if it was tilted to one side with a wave underneath it, and perhaps had a pistol clipped to the side somehow (so that they can boast about having a "one gun ship")

Ok, MOC is called parrot's perch and there is an actually parrots perch. That is very important to me because if it was called Parrot's Perch Pub and there wasn't a parrot's perch that would make me sour!

I really like the storyline and I can see how the pub looks like it was supposed to be part of a ship. Even in modern days it is still popular to make ships into bars, restaurants and other cool venues!

This is a picture of the Idler in my hometown of South Haven, Michigan, USA:

3071103863_a4fb49d89a_b.jpg

It used to be a riverboat in South America owned by Vincent Price. Now it is a summertime bar! Thats one of the reasons why I really buy into your MOC because it has some real ideas in it's creation!

The detail is very nice and the whole concept is eye appealing.

My one gripe is that the tournament of retribution is over! Leave us blue coats alone, will ya?! :pir-tongue:

-martinsuper

4020710740_b67faa11b3.jpg

Please make up your minds on the stairs or ladder problem. Right now i have people that keep telling me to keep the ladder and people who keep telling me to put in stairs.

I have to agree with otters :pir-classic: I think the stairs look lout of place and in my final version i'm probably gonna get rid of them.

4019950947_051fbdc593.jpg

Edited by Black Rabbit

Please make up your minds on the stairs or ladder problem. Right now i have people that keep telling me to keep the ladder and people who keep telling me to put in stairs.

I'm sorry for making you feel confused there... I was just pointing out how much I enjoyed your creation as it were and that I didn't feel it needed additional elements which would probably ruin its feeling.

Looking at the stone stairs (thank you so much for providing a photo for comparison!), I really feel I was right - at least for myself. I definitely prefer the ship-made ladder version of the bar. It just looks more... fun. I understand that to some people the stone stairs version might look catchier and, in a way, more "complete" - and I respect their opinion. However, Black Rabbit, at the end of the day I feel that it would be best if you'd go for what you feel works best for this MOC and the element you enjoy most. It is a top-notch entry anyway, so if I were you I'd just go for what I prefer - this one WILL be a strong contender whichever version you choose.

I'm sorry for making you feel confused there... I was just pointing out how much I enjoyed your creation as it were and that I didn't feel it needed additional elements which would probably ruin its feeling.

Looking at the stone stairs (thank you so much for providing a photo for comparison!), I really feel I was right - at least for myself. I definitely prefer the ship-made ladder version of the bar. It just looks more... fun. I understand that to some people the stone stairs version might look catchier and, in a way, more "complete" - and I respect their opinion. However, Black Rabbit, at the end of the day I feel that it would be best if you'd go for what you feel works best for this MOC and the element you enjoy most. It is a top-notch entry anyway, so if I were you I'd just go for what I prefer - this one WILL be a strong contender whichever version you choose.

Thanks :pir_laugh2: , i'm gonna get rid of those dammed stairs and I'll make a brick built ladder attacthing to the sides.I also think the stairs make the moc to cluttered and they don't look that well made either so they detract from the good parts of the model. Thanks again otters :pir-classic:

What do you think of the railing though , Yay or nay ?

Edited by Black Rabbit

Railing is awesome. I used a similar technique for my medium entry, and I think it's really cool on yours as well. Keep it.

Railing for the win! I thought I had to mention that, since it does look REALLY cool - even though it takes away some of the dangers of getting drunk in such pubs :pir_laugh2: It is a great idea, make you sure you stick with it ;)

Once you've got a final no-stairs version, are you going to post the six pictures requested in the guidelines? Because I would like to see the interior of the pub as well. Also, I think you've got room for another ship like the Wasted once you take out the stairs, and it would add to the parking-lot quality of the dock area.