Sign in to follow this  
Corvus

Review: LSW: The Visual Dictionary

indexed.gif

Hi there!

I'm sure most of you have seen pictures of these already, but I thought I'd throw in my two pennies anyway.

The cover:

4009295336_7ff6d8df3d_o.jpg

Very nice, with a very tantalizing view of Luke.

4008530501_462b32eb05_o.jpg

Luke comes out like so. The one irritating thing I found about this book was that it had a cardboard thing inside to hold Luke in, but it was just about as thick as the pages themselves.

Well, on to the fig.

4009250956_d97b11d886_o.jpg

Absolutely amazing. My chief worry when I bought this was that it was the same bad quality as the magnet packs. Fortunately, this isn't so- he's the same as any other fig. :wub:

A sample of the pages:

4009726623_a77e78793f_o.jpg

4010493202_d88d42f6f5_o.jpg

4010493520_803cd651be_o.jpg

And other various LSW-compilation goodness.

Another neat thing were the chapter pics:

4008530985_7d1b7b2746_o.jpg

4010494416_49e57a3480_o.jpg

4009729125_103216ec84_o.jpg

4009318136_5e1d1fa28a_o.jpg

I think these were great pics, really adding a little decoration to the book.

Now, onto the really neat stuff: Chapter 4: Beyond the Brick.

As you all have probably all seen, the prelim page features some stuff we haven't seen:

4009318712_96766ff2bc_o.jpg

I thought this was a good idea for a set. It could've used some more work, but the X-wing is amazing!

4009318620_510718e9b1_o.jpg

Ugh. If only we had this part. :wub: There's a very slight chance it'll come in the battle pack, but I'm not very hopeful.

4008553787_421a30f525_o.jpg

Preliminary of Darth Maul's ship.

4009318378_e037fbc7e7_o.jpg

Clay models of Kit, Wookiee, and Watto.

4008553471_418719bfaf_o.jpg

Funny, the head on the big model looks smaller. (proportionally)

4009318288_b8441db04e_o.jpg

Think I prefer the molded one, thank you very much.

4008553897_24d6ea93f8_o.jpg

George Lucas!

And then we have the next two pages of Ch. 4:

4010495770_b9f755db49_o.jpg

"Now, where the real money in the movie is made. Merchandising!"

-Yogurt

4010495868_fa791e9fce_o.jpg

Then a neat page with various MOCs. Very cool.

Overall thoughts:

I originally thought I was going to buy it just for the Luke 'fig, but the book proved surprisingly neat. Not only was it well made, it also had some stuff I'd never seen before. (prototypes :wub: )

It's also a good deal- $22. When I first heard about it, I thought: "An exclusive fig? Oh great, $50." Fortunately, it's cheap enough where even if you don't want the fig, it's worth it by itself.

More pics on my Flickr.

Great review Mr. Mandalorian! I was going to review this in a month or two, but you beat me to it! :tongue:

I don't really have much to say since I already own the book, but you pretty much highlighted some of the interesting parts, and just gave enough pics of the pages to interest someone who is thinking of buying this book (but not too many pictures to spoil his/her reading of it). :classic:

But, there is one thing I really have to scold you for:

4008530501_462b32eb05_o.jpg

How could you do that to your book? :oh3:

There is a simple round and clear sticker which you peel to open the clamshell plastic plastic clamshell. Surely that would have been much easier than ripping the whole plastic casing off?

My picture:

3988253359_a29759c2ed.jpg

Hooray, it just has a clear plastic sticker to hold it tight, instead of those annoying blister packages!

Edited by ILikePi

But, there is one thing I really have to scold you for:

How could you do that to your book? :oh3:

I normally don't. I was just in such a rush when I got it, I couldn't notice trivial details like tape. :hmpf:

:tongue:

Thanks for the review Mr. Mandalorian. I was also pleased with the book. The Luke figure is fantastic!

Thanks for the great review! I haven't gotten this book (yet), so it's nice to see what it is like. :thumbup: I like all the behind-the-scenes pics and info they provide here.

4008553897_24d6ea93f8_o.jpg

George Lucas!

:laugh: Haha! That's awesome. I really hope they will release that one at some point. Maybe as some kind of exclusive anniversary magnet like the Chrome Stormie. There are so many funny MOCs that could be done with it! :grin:

In fact, that's the minifig this book should have come with IMO.

Oops, a part of the review I missed!

:laugh: Haha! That's awesome. I really hope they will release that one at some point. Maybe as some kind of exclusive anniversary magnet like the Chrome Stormie. There are so many funny MOCs that could be done with it! :grin:

Ahh, so that's a minifigure version of George Lucas?

It would have been very cool if that minifig was the one we got instead. :laugh:

However, notice the yellow neck print on the torso...

Nice review. Mine finally came in last week. I can't bring myself to remove the Luke minifig. I think I'm a purchase a loose fig off of ebay. The book is pretty awesome and boy do I want that George Lucas minifig.

Thanks for the review, great pix of the concept stages of the designs. Man it's a shame they never released the Hoth rebel helmets like this. Let's hope the next years we will see the new helmet molds and a X-wing like the Yavin base concept.

Thanx again

I believe that the George Lucas torso isn't a custom part - I suspect it's part number 973pdd on Peeron (Minifig Torso with Blue Plaid Shirt Pattern). Given this, it's likely that all the minifig parts are 'off the shelf', in which case you too can have George Lucas in your home !

George's Plaid Shirt

I fully agree that the book should have come with this minifig, as a tribute to the great man himself !

Cheers,

Dr. D.

I normally don't. I was just in such a rush when I got it, I couldn't notice trivial details like tape. :hmpf:

Yea Thats what I did to my Home one box. I didn't notice the tape on the bottom and I ruined it :cry_sad: . But I still kept the box.

Another great review of this book. I cant wait to get my exclusive luke minifig he looks really cool. I really love how DK do there books with the really great pictures and pretty good info as well.

Thanks, guys. Just so you know, I didn't take pics of every page. There were still plenty more- mostly in the the movie section.

Hmm, don't think I'd like a Lucas fig for sale. That's a little creepy. :look: I wouldn't mind making a custom, though.

But but but you ruined your book?

Thanks for the pics though.

Technically, that's not part of the book. That's part of a hollow cardboard section that acts as both filler and space to put the fig in. So... I wouldn't consider it actually hurting a book.

That would be terrible.

There are so many funny MOCs that could be done with it! :grin:

Yes there are! :laugh:

I agree with you there :thumbup:

just had alook at the pics of the "Beyond the brick" chapter :wub: I have to say that might be my favorite chapter :wub: (though I haven't got the book yet)

Some of the MOCs in there are Amazing!

CommanderFox

Nice review.

I really want this book. It is a must have for any LEGO Star Wars fan, I believe.

Can I buy it at any book seller, or is it some special book that you can only get from Amazon (or whatever)?

Well, I hope I can get my hands on this as soon as possible.

Thanks for a great review Mr Mandolorian. Some really nice pics in this book, and the figure is :wub:

Nice to see how the head molds are concieved with the larger minifigs and modeling.

Cheers

edit: Already posted this elsewhere. No need to have the same discussion in two different topics.

Edited by KimT

I've just received the latest version(reprint)of this book and just recognized that the minifig now comes with white in the eyes!

Just wanted to let you know

I've just received the latest version(reprint)of this book and just recognized that the minifig now comes with white in the eyes!

Just wanted to let you know

We've known that for quite a while by now.

Have we received confirmation that the next book will DEFINITELY have an exclusive minifig as well? If so, let the speculation begin!!

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

Have we received confirmation that the next book will DEFINITELY have an exclusive minifig as well? If so, let the speculation begin!!

Yes, we have. There was some speculation in the Rumors topic a little while ago.