Sign in to follow this  
pedro

Yavin IV 'sketch'

Would you buy this Yavin IV set if it were released?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one of the following options...

• Absolutely, it looks awesome!
    • Definately, but after some minor design tweaks.
    • Yes, but it'd need a lot of work.
    • I'd like a Yavin IV set - just not this.
    • No, not really interested.

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

'ello!

As some will know already, the excellent new DK Star Wars Lego: The Visual Dictionary has a great section on design with some great photography showing head molds and prototype 'sketch' models, including a version of Yavin IV. I thought I'd scan in the images for all to see (images copyright their respective owners).

yaviniv-sketch01.jpg

As you'll see the designer's put a lot of detail into the sketch including exterior, interior hangar with midi X-wing, throne room and more.

yaviniv-sketch02.jpg

Personally, I reckon this would make a great official release and wondered what everyone elses thoughts are on it: Do you like it? Would you buy it if it were released?

I've included a poll out of interest.

On the first image in the bottom left corner... A rebel with a tan torso.... (not the mechanic) It reminds me of Captain Antilles, even though he was long dead then. And the rebels with the spears, two have blue legs while one has light bley legs. Besides the figs being all wrong, it looks like a nice set. :thumbup:

I like it, but I think that the supplied X-wing should be the 6212 X-Wing or a similarly-sized variant. This would mean that the rest of the model would need to be scaled up a bit, which would also be an improvement. Then it would make for an excellent 'official' release - I'd certainly buy it.

Of course, it you REALLY wanted to go to town, the set could come wth a bigger hanger to also house a MF and even a B-Wing, but now I'm just getting greedy.....!

Dr. D.

On the first image in the bottom left corner... A rebel with a tan torso.... (not the mechanic) It reminds me of Captain Antilles, even though he was long dead then. And the rebels with the spears, two have blue legs while one has light bley legs. Besides the figs being all wrong, it looks like a nice set. :thumbup:

The Captain Antilles-alike looks like a treatment of the Rebel Engineer seen driving the personnel car in Episode IV. I made my own, grey-suited version here. I'd assume if it were ever to be prepared for official release they'd make sure all the minifigs were correct :wink:

but,is a moc or true?

Try reading the first post, instead of just looking at the pics.

Pretty neat Idea. In a way, the inclusion of the midi X-Wing reminds me of the Death Star with its midi-TIE Advance.

I love that midi X-Wing. it would look great next to the midi MF. That makes me really hope they'll start a new midi line...

That would make a very cool set. Would be better if you could fit a full size X-wing in the hangar though. Still a nice set.

I love it, and would easily buy it. 13 figs as well :wub:

out of interest do you know when it was made?

Well, I really like it, mostly the midi-X wing and the minifigs, but the way the temple is built, it almost feels-un Star Warsy. It really needs more play features...

It's a sketch... nothing final and it never became a final product.

Take it easy people. :laugh:

Man I wished they released this :cry_sad:. It looks really cool and I like how they included a midi scale x-wing. Now I can wait to get this book

It really needs more play features...
If it's an old 'sketch,' it might have been before the incredibly useful invention of Flick-Fires. :laugh:

This would be a perfect home for the Visual Dictionary Luke though, had it actually been a set. I guess there is always MOCing... :wink:

Wow that looks great. It would make a great set had it been released. Looks expenceive though :sceptic: , I mean, 14 figs! That X-wing is brilliant.... why can't they ever do a system X-wing that well?

Either way, very nice sketch. Are there any/many others in the book?

Nah, I really have no interest. I'm more into just vehicles, not playsets/excuses to sell lots of minifigs.

But I think I'm one of the few who has no interest in the Endor set either.

It can't be that old, since this concept uses the 2007 City double driveway garage piece as a hangar bay :wink:

The end 'Design' section was one of my favourite parts of the book. It's really interesting to see these prototype models. You can see how this is really built to give an indication of overall structure and form, rather than worrying too much about colours and part selection etc. I think it would have made a nice set, but you can already see where Lego would chip away - get rid of the baseplates, put it all on plates, etc.

I'd imagine it would end up something like Home One - one room and a hangar bay :grin:

I'd buy a book just full of the SW Lego concept art and design sketches myself :laugh:

Either way, very nice sketch. Are there any/many others in the book?

There's a concept model of the Separatist Shuttle, too. But the released set does look nicer.

Thats AWESOME!

The midi X-wing is really nice, might give ago at making it. The temple part is really nice aswell, but I think id add abit more onto it to make it bigger.

I really hope Lego put it out as a 'Surprise set' :wub: well it wont be much of a surprise for us now. :laugh:

Thanks Pedro for scanning these pics :sweet:

CommanderFox

TLC should release some X-Wing for minifigs like this. (Bet they do sooner or later but I cannot await it...)

I'd buy a book just full of the SW Lego concept art and design sketches myself...

Man, I'd be first in the queue for a book like that! :laugh:

Thanks Pedro for scanning these pics...

My pleasure! Share the love and all that... :wink:

Star Wars LEGO 'playsets' are pretty rare so this really caught my eye - especially an iconic scene like this, the Rebel Base. I'd love to see this released. Failing that it'd be interesting to try build it from scratch.

I think this would make a great shop-at-home exclusive. I would widen the hangar a bit and include a larger scale X-wing. $200 minimum sounds reasonable to me, but I would want quite a few mini-figs.

Also, does anyone see a potential layout for a Jabba's Palace set? Just widen the throne room to fit Jabba, convert the hangar into a rancor pit, throw a big door on the temple facade and presto!

I think this would make a great shop-at-home exclusive. I would widen the hangar a bit and include a larger scale X-wing. $200 minimum sounds reasonable to me, but I would want quite a few mini-figs.

Also, does anyone see a potential layout for a Jabba's Palace set? Just widen the throne room to fit Jabba, convert the hangar into a rancor pit, throw a big door on the temple facade and presto!

Yes that does sound like a reasonable price if this was a set :wub:

Your right, that could be modded into a nice size Jabba's palace :wub:

CommanderFox

Edited by CommanderFox

Nice, but just a sketch. It has the interesting combination of very basic pieces, on the turrets for example, and rather sophisticated building techniques like for the star-like shaping of the building itself.

With correct figs (new Luke, new Han with medal, a new dress for Leia), a few more walls around the hangar and an X-Wing that fits a minifig, it would make a nice set. In that condition, I would buy it.