Sign in to follow this  
Ryan_T

Lucre Island

pirategetaway002.jpg

Yes.. the one leaning over the rocks IS puking.. :pir-sick: He.. Um.. Drank to much.. :pir-grin:

pirategetaway003.jpg

Here's one that doesn't believe in a "Day Off" :pir-grin: Oh, How did I do on the Dock? :pir-sweet:

pirategetaway004.jpg

pirategetaway005.jpg

Cant help but laugh at the poor puking pirate this one.. :pir-wink:

pirategetaway006.jpg

uh oh! someones gotten into my private marshmallow stash again!! :pir_bawling:

pirategetaway001.jpg

A strange fella enjoying his mug o' rum.. IN A TREE! Silly pirate.. :pir_wacko:

Well.. that's all the pics I can put up here.. :pir-hmpf: If you want to see more.. Click here!

And.. As always.. I introduce to you ONCE AGAIN..

Find The Frog!

Yes, Its that time again! Scroll back up, and look for him! he's in more then one! but in one spot only!

:pir-wink: Good luck!

Now.. Good Luck to all the other Entry's.. Once again.. suggestions are appreciated! :pir-sweet:

This is a great moc. I really like the rocks by the dock and the little building. The dock also looks great

Suggestions:

-I think the building should be larger to make it the center piece of the island

-You should add more rocks and vegetation to the island because it looks flat

-Add more water and a small boat and perhaps a pirate fishing

-Since this is the large category you might want to make the whole island bigger

-Treasure and rum is a must have on a pirate island

Edited by Paul cantu

Great little MOC, this is, I really enjoy the simplistic business of it all. By this, I mean you didn't use a lot of pieces but there is still a great deal of action (irate pirate, laughing pirate, puking pirate, drinking-in-a-tree pirate, etc.).

I do have some suggestions that might help this MOC:

1. A small beached raft would make sense, as it would be an avenue of escape in case of discovery.

2. You could expand the building so that it is more useful (i.e.-sleeping quarters, armory, etc.)

3. Making it bigger overall could possibly make it more interesting

4. You may want to add more trees, grass, and rocks, as some parts are looking bare.

Wow, you've certainly kicked off the tournament spectacularly! :thumbup: Your intricate dock is especially pleasing to the eye.

Paul has made some excellent points, and I can't find much more to suggest. However, here's my two cents worth:

1) I agree that the little fort should be made a focal point. However, since the theme of the contest is as peaceful as Pirates can get, I think the lookout structure should be turned into a comely little cabin.

2) My next suggestion ties in with the first: add a few wenches and animals. Perhaps a young girl feeding the sheep or a bustling lady hanging up clothing from a wire.

3) Although it's very well placed, having a huge sign saying "KEEP OUT" doesn't seem too welcoming (:pir-tongue:) so I'd tone down the "no trespassing" angle and play up the "relaxation" side of things. :thumbup:

4) You have some great rock landscaping there, but the random white/black/bley mix under the majority of the island somewhat deters from the overall appearance.

5) In my opinion, you can lose the old grey in the rock formations - it makes it a bit too crazy.

6) Paul is right about the foliage; it's a tad flat. I would throw some smaller green plates on around the ledges to make it smoother.

This is a great kickoff to the competition, and with a little modification, it'll be quite the contender!

Wow, this is a great start! I do have a few suggestions to raise this from great to spectacular, though.

1) Some of the pictures are a bit blurry or dark, try editing them using something like picknik.

2) Some parts of the rocks seem a little too blocky, especially where there is different colours meeting. Try making it a bit like camouflage on a tank. While not specifically related to pirate building, this thread on flickr might help.

3) If you decide to redo the rocks, I'd suggest continuing it through under the grass. You started it, but making it all flow together would really add to it.

4) I don't really think the tiles on top of the rocks are a great idea. Rocks are rocky after all :grin:.

5) The outpost and horse seem a bit tacked on. Try spending a bit more time working on the building, so that it really stands out amongst the plants. The horse doesn't seem necessary.

6) Try something else for the puke. At first I just though he'd fallen over onto a plant.

I really like the overall idea, and all the different activities that the figs are doing really adds to it. And, like others have said, the dock looks amazing! You are well on your way to one of the top spots.

Great MOC, I think it should be larger and i also disliked the white bricks to make the floor higher. I liked the use of ninja torso... the small tower look so neatly and cool! By the way, I dont understand one thing: Why the heck there is a horse :pir-tongue: ....

Anyways, awesome

I think that this is a really neat idea. The docks look awsome with the crocked plank effect, I love the Keep out sign and the rocks are fantastic. To improve it, I would suggest putting in a beach mabey building a small shack or something like that and upgrading your plants, it looks a little dull and could use more trees or bushes. The guy getting sick is a great idea( if a gross one) :pir-sick: . The frog is in the treasure chest. :pir-grin:

Good Qualities I really like the idea of pirates relaxing on a day off and I the island looks good. It's like we get a small cross-section of the island and of the Pirates day. The keep out sign is a nice touch and I like the finding the frog game. (took me a little while to find it) :pir-blush:

Contrary to some other people I like the horse, the pirates needed something to get around the island.

The use of heads here is also nice because this is a nice tribute to the original classic pirates with most of the heads and torsos. :thumbup:

Improvements I think that this entry could greatly improve with some better pictures. Any kind of editing program will do but it is also important to take pictures in the correct lighting

I also think that some more foliage around the back where the horse and the lookout are would help to give it that pirate hideout feel. Maybe some treasure here or somewhere else would help too because what's a pirate hideout without treasure.

The side would probably be better if done like this (not mine recently featured on TBB) The black and white is distracting.

I especially like idea of the puking pirate, looks like he had a little to much rum :pir-sick:, but I think it might look better as some of the green flame pieces.

Overall a nice way to start off and I wish you good luck in the contest.

Edited by Tom Bricks

A very nice little scene you have there. I Like the look of the docking platform and the tree stumps and 'keep out' sign are nice editions. I think the rest of the grass area could use a bit more folidge and trees etc. Also, maybe you could add a bit more to the hut to make it stand out more, maybe enlarge it by adding another room on top like a look-out tower. On the whole, good job and good luck with the contest.

-I think the building should be larger to make it the center piece of the island

-You should add more rocks and vegetation to the island because it looks flat

-Add more water and a small boat and perhaps a pirate fishing

-Since this is the large category you might want to make the whole island bigger

-Treasure and rum would is a must have on a pirate island

1. I agree with making it larger.. :thumbup: Thanks!

2. Rocks in the grass you mean? Yea, I'm low on green bricks.. I always have been. :pir-grin:

3. I'll be needing some more baseplates then. :pir-oh3:

4. ^^^

5. all the chests have Treasure in them.. But they just aren't open.. :pir-look:

Thanks for the suggestions! :D

1. A small beached raft would make sense, as it would be an avenue of escape in case of discovery.

2. You could expand the building so that it is more useful (i.e.-sleeping quarters, armory, etc.)

3. Making it bigger overall could possibly make it more interesting

4. You may want to add more trees, grass, and rocks, as some parts are looking bare.

1. That could be doable when I go out and buy some Baseplates.. If I can :pir_wacko:

2. Agreed.

4. *cough* Baseplate and low amount of bricks for me. *cough* ;)

Thanks for the feedback! :thumbup:

Wow, you've certainly kicked off the tournament spectacularly!

1) I agree that the little fort should be made a focal point. However, since the theme of the contest is as peaceful as Pirates can get, I think the lookout structure should be turned into a comely little cabin.

2) My next suggestion ties in with the first: add a few wenches and animals. Perhaps a young girl feeding the sheep or a bustling lady hanging up clothing from a wire.

3) Although it's very well placed, having a huge sign saying "KEEP OUT" doesn't seem too welcoming (:pir-tongue:) so I'd tone down the "no trespassing" angle and play up the "relaxation" side of things. :thumbup:

4) You have some great rock landscaping there, but the random white/black/bley mix under the majority of the island somewhat deters from the overall appearance.

5) In my opinion, you can lose the old grey in the rock formations - it makes it a bit too crazy.

6) Paul is right about the foliage; it's a tad flat. I would throw some smaller green plates on around the ledges to make it smoother.

This is a great kickoff to the competition, and with a little modification, it'll be quite the contender!

1. A little cabin.. I try to avoid as much brown usage as possible.. even tho this is pirates.. because of my limited amount of Bricks and pieces. :pir_bawling:

2. I might be able to use my 2/3 lady figs.. I'll have to see if I can find them!

3. Well.. I think I'd rather feel a bit safer with a keep out sign, then without, and be ambushed by imperials.. wouldn't ye? :pir-skull:

4. well.. Its actually.. White, Blue, Red and some green to fill in some holes.. I photoshoped it to make it look better then that multicolored madness. :pir-grin:

5. well.. Like I've said before.. I have a limited amount of bricks, and well.. Grey slopes.. I don't have a lot..

6. yea.. I tried to throw in some landscaping.. but.. Online or not.. I suck at landscaping! :pir-laugh:

Thanks for the Feedback as well!

1) Some of the pictures are a bit blurry or dark, try editing them using something like picknik.

2) Some parts of the rocks seem a little too blocky, especially where there is different colours meeting. Try making it a bit like camouflage on a tank. While not specifically related to pirate building, this (URL snipped) thread on flickr might help.

3) If you decide to redo the rocks, I'd suggest continuing it through under the grass. You started it, but making it all flow together would really add to it.

4) I don't really think the tiles on top of the rocks are a great idea. Rocks are rocky after all :grin:.

5) The outpost and horse seem a bit tacked on. Try spending a bit more time working on the building, so that it really stands out amongst the plants. The horse doesn't seem necessary.

6) Try something else for the puke. At first I just though he'd fallen over onto a plant.

I really like the overall idea, and all the different activities that the figs are doing really adds to it. And, like others have said, the dock looks amazing! You are well on your way to one of the top spots.

1. Stupid batch resize.. :pir-sad2:

2. I'll see what I can do. :thumbup:

3. I don't think I'd have enough LURPs... :pir_bawling: But it makes it look like it goes on for longer and farther.. :pir_laugh2:

4. yea.. I guess your right.. :pir_laugh2:

5. Horse.. I'll loose him :pir-blush:

6. HAHAHAHA!!! That made me laugh.. thanks for the laugh today! :pir_laugh2:

Thanks for the feedback.. AND the laugh! :thumbup:

Why the heck there is a horse....

You know.. I could ask the same thing.. It was about 4 in the morning when I put him in.. its the Coca-cola Talking.. :pir-grin:

I think that this is a really neat idea. The docks look awsome with the crocked plank effect, I love the Keep out sign and the rocks are fantastic. To improve it, I would suggest putting in a beach mabey building a small shack or something like that and upgrading your plants, it looks a little dull and could use more trees or bushes. The guy getting sick is a great idea( if a gross one) :pir-sick: . The frog is in the treasure chest. :pir-grin:

1. Low amount of Greenery pieces in my collection.

Oh my gawd! You found him! :pir-laugh: Congrats! Cap'n Blackmoor hasn't posted yet. :pir-look: He always finds that green devil. :pir-grin:

Hey Ryan, congratulations on posting the first entry for this contest!

Upon seeing the name, I couldn't help but remember Monkey Island, since I'm a die-hard LucasArts fan... I don't know whether you've actually played the game/s (there's 4 of them), but I find it quite weird that noone has mentioned it so far - especially seeing as that's where the name "Lucre Island" originally comes from. Anyway, since I believe that you must have somehow at least heard of Guybrush Threepwood's adventures on the original Lucre Island, I though you might as well consider going that extra mile and adding a tiny little bit of Monkey Island details to this fun li'l diorama of yours. Of course, I won't divulge into any details, nor will I beg you to add Murray the Talking Skull (or is that him I see up on the "Keep Out" sign?), but that's just a notion I thought you might find helpful - and I don't mean rebuilding the actual in-game Lucre Island (since that would be a really tough job), you could as well just use a few well-placed references.

Enough about LucasArts' Monkey Island, let's get back to your MOC then. My favourite part of it? The little scene with the pirate who's having trouble handing his booze and the one mocking him about it. This has the potential to really become the focal point of this MOC, even though it does not feature a pub nearby. Try and work on that "puking all over the plant" thing. It IS most definitely a good idea, but I would suggest for example trying 1x1 round trans-clear plates instead of the 1 big trans-clear brick. How about making that drunk pirate even MORE unfortunate by having him puke over someone down in the water or (even worse) at the docks? I know, I know, it sounds a bit sick, but hey - YOU started the whole puking thing, remember? :pir-tongue:

In any case, this is definitely a very fun entry, and to me that has to be one of the most important aspects of this year's contest. Cheers matey!

Hey Ryan, congratulations on posting the first entry for this contest!

Upon seeing the name, I couldn't help but remember Monkey Island, since I'm a die-hard LucasArts fan... I don't know whether you've actually played the game/s (there's 4 of them), but I find it quite weird that noone has mentioned it so far - especially seeing as that's where the name "Lucre Island" originally comes from.

The little scene with the pirate who's having trouble handing his booze and the one mocking him about it. This has the potential to really become the focal point of this MOC, even though it does not feature a pub nearby. Try and work on that "puking all over the plant" thing. It IS most definitely a good idea, but I would suggest for example trying 1x1 round trans-clear plates instead of the 1 big trans-clear brick. How about making that drunk pirate even MORE unfortunate by having him puke over someone down in the water or (even worse) at the docks? I know, I know, it sounds a bit sick, but hey - YOU started the whole puking thing, remember? :pir-tongue:

In any case, this is definitely a very fun entry, and to me that has to be one of the most important aspects of this year's contest. Cheers matey!

Well.. I searched google for some weird Island names and thought that would sound nice here.. it did mention Monkey Island.. :pir_laugh2:

Ah.. :pir_laugh2: I thought someone would find that quite fun. :pir-blush: I've stripped the MOC down to the pure green flat grass and is working on making it better. :thumbup:

I am going to leave everything from the Rocks down how it is.. but maybe with a few adjustments.. :pir-grin: But, must work on the fort right now. ;) Thanks for the feedback! :D

Phew! That's good news for me... because I was actually considering building an MI-inspired MOC for this contest! Oh well, even if someone does actually pip me to it, what matters is that we all have fun, right :pir-sweet:

As to your Lucre Island - if you're keen on only working on the fort, I'd suggest trying to camouflage it a bit so that it blends in with the local terrain. Generally, a "regular" island would be expected to have a "regular" fort - an imposing structure that you can spot from miles away. However, I'd always thought that a pirates' island should actually be as inconspicous as possible - to the extent that intruders would only know they're standing in front of a fort once their ship starts sinking! :pir-skull: So if I were you, I'd keep that minimalistic design you have achieved so far and try to "hide" the fort into the rocks and trees - where possible of course - so that the pirates would have a real surprise for any unexpected guests ;) Hope this helps!

Generally, a "regular" island would be expected to have a "regular" fort - an imposing structure that you can spot from miles away. However, I'd always thought that a pirates' island should actually be as inconspicous as possible - to the extent that intruders would only know they're standing in front of a fort once their ship starts sinking! :pir-skull: So if I were you, I'd keep that minimalistic design you have achieved so far and try to "hide" the fort into the rocks and trees - where possible of course - so that the pirates would have a real surprise for any unexpected guests ;) Hope this helps!

Ah.. I will Most Certainly try to achieve this.. hope everyone follows till its final design.. if it ever gets a final design.. :pir-hmpf_bad:

.. hope everyone follows till its final design.. if it ever gets a final design..

I'm sure it will, you're off to a good start, it would be a shame to just let it go. When it's 100% done, I just have one more piece of advice for you: choose the angle / composition for your very first one or two shots wisely. I know it may not be easy, but bear in mind that the first 1 to 3 pictures of your MOC are what 80% of the people will look at, so if you don't make those attractive enough, chances are they wouldn't bother to check out the rest, even if you've got great details. You can alter brightness, contrast, light exposure, etc. by using the simplest of photo editing softwares, but you can't change what the picture actually shows :pir-classic:

For example, with your MOC at this stage, I would have made sure my overview pic focuses on the dock and the action at the front and not necessarily include the horse or the white layers helping to create a bit of elevation. So a full frontal pic which is still clear enough for people to recognise the fort in the background would probably be my choice.

Good luck with that ;]

I really like the rock wall you made. The dock is very good too. There are however some points which could be changed.

1) I’d use green plates in stead of bricks to create a more natural grass field.

2) I think the castle is a little bit too small. I’d make it higher to suggest a outlook post for the captain.

3) Personally I don’t like the use of the plant piece for puke. But that’s just my honest opinion. You could also use a green flame piece.

4) Since this is a entry for the large devision, I would add some sort of a shop or raft.

5) More plants, treasures, weapons are allways welcome. I'm also missing a monkey or a parot (maybee I missed it) . Also I’d lose the horse.

~Badboy

I like the idea, it's almost some "resort" for them. I like the name though, "Lucre" for money.

First off the overall look: I like it. It has action in many parts, the trees are nice [although the stumps are oversized relative to everything else]. What I have a problem with are the sides. It's really too blocky and the colors on the 3 sides away from the dock and rocky facade have that strange white with bley coloring. =/ If you could do something using a variety of slopes of greys such as the look you have in the front. Even some BURPS could have worked. The grass also is really blocky and feels restricted by the grey "stone" plates in the front. I like the foliage here and there, but if it could be looser, freer and maybe not so thick, I think it would look better.

The front and docks: I like the variety of grays, although I think if they could slope up and back more it could look better. I'm also confused at what the disk there is doing. o.o It really ruins the rocky flow and seems really random.

The dock was well done, although I'm a little miffed at the large brown 4x4 round wheels that are used to hold it up. It just doesn't seem very "dock-like". If you kept the unevenness and connected them to some long brown plates and attached it to the water with some evenly space brown round 1x1 pieces as poles, that would look more realistic in some sense. Also if there was some chains and some poles sticking out so a boat could be "tied" to it, I think it would look pretty nifty. I like how the treasure chests are placed, and the minifig is a nice classic pirate.

I'm not sure how you did the puking, it's a good idea though. Maybe some Green and yellow rubber bands? I think if you tied them together into a mix it could look good and you could hang it down from his head. I like how someone's laughing at him though, nice comedic touch, but I'm not sure if the helmet fits.

I definitely like the "Keep Out!" Sign once again, makes it a fun work and less of a serious one, which helps since the theme of PTVII is pretty much that.

The grassy area: The path alternating from stud and studless is nice, it allows posing of minifigs on it. I'm not fond of the blockiness once again though, some slopes and smooth unevenness using those would have been nice.

The campfire is simple, not sure if I have much to complain about that. Also the couple of pirates drinking [including the one in the stump [ :pir_wacko: ] fits the contest as well as the comedic tone.

The random cluttered assortment of wheels, a cannon and some crates of loose weapons is a great touch; it's set aside without anyone caring about it.

The little outlook post is nice, I like the captain there, still on a stern lookout. I'm confused as how he got up there, is there a ladder in the building, or is it just empty? The mix of grays seem to work here for stone, but some more dark gray or bley wouldn't hurt. Maybe even some grass and foliage growing. I also think that if the flag was raised higher, it would finish it up nicely. Plus it wouldn't hit the captain if the wind blew in the other direction. :pir-laugh:

I do wish there were some more pics though, especially one from a higher angle, looking down so there would be a clear view of what each and every minifigs were doing. The first picture is a bit too bright on the mishmash side and dark on the important top and front, I'd try and fix that.

Overall it's a pretty nice first entry to PTVII. It's comical, it has some action going here and there, but parts could be fixed and smoothed out for a much more clean aesthetic.

EDIT1: Fixing some of the bolding and underlining.

EDIT2: How rude of me, forgetting this:

Best of luck in the voting portion of the contest!

[-TA-]

Edited by The Alchemyst

Hi - I like your entry, and would like to make some comments - perhaps they will help you improve your entry before the contest ends

First of all, I must say that I love the very front part of your Island. The bridge, and the cliff behind it looks great.

There's one thing about it though, that I feel may need some more work. There are too many different grey nuances on the cliff/the rocks. I like the rocky formation of this, but would like to see fewer colours.

The bridge looks great with the many brown tiles and the un-even edge! Lovely work

There is another thing about your choice of grey bricks. I would suggest that you tried to even out the colours that you've used, and had the rocks be in one or perhaps two colours instead. If you do this, I feel that it will look more natural. I'd also suggest that you try to create a softer transition from rocks to grass. These examples show amazing work with grey bricks as rocks, and green bricks as grass:

3383066844_b7b4840cf4.jpg

3306410053_93b31b9924.jpg

And as many other has already commented on, you should try to build the side of your MOC in neutral grey bricks, and not using so many different colours. The picture I linked to above shows a great way to do this, with the grass on top of a rocky foundation. You can even see how the landscape isn't flat but full of hills.

The elevated part of the island is nice. I especially like the hollow trees. I've never seen those parts before, so that was a nice surprise, and very original.

I would like to see some better pictures of this "garden". You haven't taken a picture of this from a bird's view, but you should definitely do that. Maybe a lot more plants or perhaps making the fireplace even bigger, would make the grass field even more appealing to the viewer.

I like the dirt path in the middle of the grassy field, but it would look even better IMO if you add plants along the path.

Your story is good, and a good story is often essential to how a MOC is recieved in the LEGO community. So good job on that one. I get the feeling that this is certainly a place to relax, but get the feeling that the pirates are on the look-out, which you've mentioned in your description.

Way to start us off! :pir-classic:

Your entry looks great other than just a few minor points that I can see. I really like the dock and your use of all of those tiles and the small hut looks very resembling to the some of the Classic Pirate sets and Islander sets. I really like that part. The rock landscaping is all great near the dock, but then as I see the grass-scaping I notice a total lack of detail. :pir_bawling: Its not awful, but with just a few plates the transition could look fantastic and would really stick out as a great detail. :thumbup:

Another minor point (that I would usually ignore) is the base that is a few different mixed colors. I realize you may have run out of bricks, but I would rather not have to look at that. I think on of my pet peeves has to be looking as mixes of greys and blacks.

Great work on you entry so far and I can't wait to see it throughout all of PTVII. :cannon:

Ack.. I'm going to need to earn moneys! Need to order lots of bricks if I want this satisfy everyone's taste. :pir_laugh2:

:pir-classic: Nice pirateisland- i love the tower and guy in empty tree- and marshmallow :pir_laugh2: and of course pirates need a horse- you who think they don't -never seen awesome movies like "Against all flags or Cutthroat island" ? Anyway good moc- but puking effect is a little bit strange... :pir-sceptic:

Really fun MOC, this island looks like a good time.

It's not too crowded, you have fun activities happening, at least fun to look at.

I especially like the dock, it's pretty simple but it looks great. I have to ask, where did that tree trunk come from, great idea!!

Hm, this one never did get a rework, did it... Would have enjoyed seeing what you'd come up with to enhance your entry, Ryan. Anyways, best of luck in the contest :)