SlyOwl

Pillage the Village II: The Calm After the Storm

I like the sound of it from what I heard Bonaparte talk about in the podcast!

Could I do a slight "teaser" of my HMS Unicorn and include it in the MOC?

Could I do a slight "teaser" of my HMS Unicorn and include it in the MOC?

Go for it!

Details about the Creative Critic will become available soon.

It's an absolutely great idea to introduce the non-violence requirement in this year's contest: exactly what Lego Pirates should (also) be about. I enjoyed last year's MOCs but really disliked all the bloody scenes depicted in them. Looking forward to all the entries.

What?! No brawls? :pir-tongue: Just kidding. I think I will enter this, and that'll be the first Pirate MOC I have made on EB. :pir-cry_happy:

Time to get building, YAR! :pir_laugh2:

• 3 categories: Small (8x8 maximum), medium (16x16 maximum) and large (16x16 minimum)
  • It does not have to be on a square template. A reasonable amount of overlap is allowed (staff's discretion), but no expansion of the base by stacking plates or bricks (like this)

I know this is a dumb question, but can someone explain the categories? It doesn't make sense that the rule for small is 8x8, but then the next rule says it doesn't have to be square?

Does 8x8 mean 8 studs by 8 studs? Does the 2nd rule mean that a small entry could be 8x6 studs, or 5x8 studs, or does it mean that the surface area can't exceed 64 studs (8x8)? For instance, would a 10x6 entry work, since it's 60 studs surface area?

Maybe I'm overthinking this... :pir-cry_sad:

Just to throw in my 2cents, I really like the non-violent theme idea. Lego Pirates never struck me as a "violent" theme before, and some of the entries for the original contest, though beautiful, were to me, not really what Lego is about.

Edited by SlyOwl

• 3 categories: Small (8x8 maximum), medium (16x16 maximum) and large (16x16 minimum)
  • It does not have to be on a square template. A reasonable amount of overlap is allowed (staff's discretion), but no expansion of the base by stacking plates or bricks (like this)

I know this is a dumb question, but can someone explain the categories? It doesn't make sense that the rule for small is 8x8, but then the next rule says it doesn't have to be square?

Does 8x8 mean 8 studs by 8 studs? Does the 2nd rule mean that a small entry could be 8x6 studs, or 5x8 studs, or does it mean that the surface area can't exceed 64 studs (8x8)? For instance, would a 10x6 entry work, since it's 60 studs surface area?

Maybe I'm overthinking this... :pir-cry_sad:

Yup, 8 studs by 8 studs, maximum size. Any size/shape within those boundaries is allowed - 8x6, 4x8 with a 1x2 protusion on the 8 stud long side etc. Preferably keep within the 8x8 bounds at all times, but as said, a reasonable amount of overlap is allowed, so 10x6 would be passable, but not 10x10, which belongs in the medium category. So it's a grey area, but trust your instinct, or if there's any doubt/confusion, just ask :pir-wink:

This sounds great! It'll be the first EB countest i'll enter. I gotta pick up another soldier's fort before it's all gone in 2010. Good luck to all!

Edited by Admiral M

was browsing the forums on my moblie last night while i was parked out the front of me mates place waiting for him to get home and i have to say i was a little worried about the no violence rule, as i had already been thinking of somethings i could do....

i have to say now that ive had a bit more time to think about it, im re4ally going to enjoy the challenge that lack of violence will bring about. already got one idea in mind, have to come up with a couple more now...

I've Started work as soon as I saw this.. Although.. One thing I started before.. The dock. >.> It was something I made while I was bored one night.. I really like how it turned out.. But. BACK ON TOPIC The no violence thing shouldn't be to hard.. My MOC so far is about 70% complete and it has no violence.. :D Although.. It is very heavy. X_X But anyway.. Best of Luck to all.. And with my luck in contests on the internet.. I should be no treat to you winning! :thumbup:

I'm sorry, I don't mean Aliens so much, more like mythical creatures, examples being Orcs or Sharkpeople.

I'm sorry, I don't mean Aliens so much, more like mythical creatures, examples being Orcs or Sharkpeople.

Example: Davy Jones from POTC? :pir_laugh2:

Does this have to be about human pirates? Or can we go with Aliens?

Fantasy creatures and peoples are completely fine, but keep it to the pirate side - space pirates aren't allowed; borderline steampunk with POTC2 Flying Dutchmen dudes is... So skele pirates, shark people, merpeople, orc pirates, squid pirates, Space Police 2-converted(-but-not-space) pirates... most things go.

It just using pirates/lego building or can using bionicle build?

Well, if you can manage to make a Bionicle Pirate doing something peaceful then sure. :pir-tongue: But it must be something Pirate related.

just a quick question, the large division has a minimum of 16x16, but does it have a maximum? not that im gonna build something overly huge! Or can u just go as big as you want.

Same question, but I think you may as big as you can just like the previous PTV contest. :pir_laugh2:

Furthermore I've got another question. Is it allowed to use a torso decal which has been shown before? I've made it myself.

just a quick question, the large division has a minimum of 16x16, but does it have a maximum? not that im gonna build something overly huge! Or can u just go as big as you want.

Nope, you can build it as big as you like! :pir-wink:

Furthermore I've got another question. Is it allowed to use a torso decal which has been shown before? I've made it myself.

Yeah, we can allow that. For something like your sigfig or the like, sure. :pir-classic:

I didn't see it mentioned which is why I ask.... what's the deadline? I'm now in the middle of moving because of landlord issues.... and it might might be awhile before I have access to my whole collection, so I might have to get into storage to come up with a good MOC for this. :pir_laugh2:

I didn't see it mentioned which is why I ask.... what's the deadline? I'm now in the middle of moving because of landlord issues.... and it might might be awhile before I have access to my whole collection, so I might have to get into storage to come up with a good MOC for this. :pir_laugh2:

November 30 2009. :pir-wink: