David Thomsen

POTC or Classic pirates in 2011

What sort of Pirates do you want to come back?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favorite!

• Classic Pirates, like in 2009
    • Pirates of the Carribbean
    • Both at the same time
    • Either, as long as we get them soon

Classic pirates. They would be cheaper, they would be everywhere (unlike what happens with Licensed themes), they would'n be movie-based so hopefully better.

Classic pirates. They would be cheaper, they would be everywhere (unlike what happens with Licensed themes), they would'n be movie-based so hopefully better.

I couldn't agree more.

I would vastly prefer classic pirates to POTC, but the licensed theme would likely introduce some nice new parts. Even still, I would probably just buy the parts I wanted over Bricklink since I just can't get myself to incorporate the fleshies into my homogeneous collection of yellow minifigs. Even the excellent Indiana Jones figs I pretty much passed over because of the flesh tone printing on the torsos. It makes me think that someday all the figs will be flesh tones except the equivalent of the "legend" or "retro" sets.

Don't recall if it's active, lapsed or terminated, but tht other building-block company had the POTC license last I knew... so unless it's terminated, LEGO POTC would be breach-of-contract time.

Classic all the way--I'm so sick of Jack Sparrow & Co. I could use the minifigs to replace pop-cans on the rail for target practice...

I'd.. Personally Prefer Classic over POTC any day.. But.. POTC would need so many new molds.. It'd be GREAT for MOCing purposes.. and yea, The Flying Dutchman and the Black Pearl and Lord Becketts Ship.. would all make great additions to any Classic Pirate Collection with a few modifications I'm sure.. :pir-wink:

I'd prefer Classic Pirates over POTC. However, I would have voted for "Classic Pirates Like in 1989" if that would have been an option :pir-classic:

Either one would suit me. Im not bothered about the models, just the parts, which i can use to make my own! Im sure either lines will have decent parts and mini-figs, and thats what matters.

I'd prefer Classic Pirates over POTC. However, I would have voted for "Classic Pirates Like in 1989" if that would have been an option :pir-classic:
Those are the sets, but they won't return sadly.........

Hello erveryone.

I voted for "both at the same time"

But i think a possible PotC Line would be better than no Pirate related line at all and i can imagine some really cool sets.

My only concern is that, like Star Wars, these sets will be overpriced and the sets itself be a bit too much fantasy like.

But there will surely new molds of weapons like a rapier and maybe one or two new hats.

Btw. will there be no new Pirates sets next year?

first of all, there will be a 4th POTC movie and most likely a fifth so the line would run well. BUT the second thing that wasn't brought up is that megablocks or whatever knock off brand has the license already so it may be a mute point. and from what ive seen on this site many of the MOCs of royal navy ships would do well to be the Dauntless or the Endeavor from the movies, but to continue this interesting discussion, why not throw in a line of historical ships to tie into classic pirates? My ship is close to Blackbeards Queen Anne's Revenge (itll be posted very soon) but to bonaparte, Admiral Bejaune, Captain K. and all the other amazing builders you should petition lego to have sets based off your ships and other pirate ships of the golden age of piracy, that is something i'd skip the morgage payment for.

Lego would have to make a lot of BURP's with the pirates of the Caribbean ships (such as the Flying Dutchman). Also i want yellow pirates not some pale guys floating around on my ships. Although it would be nice to get more ships I would rather have classic pirates. But ships are ships so my vote goes to whichever comes first.

As a side note I think they terminated the license with Mega *$%£@! .

why not throw in a line of historical ships to tie into classic pirates? My ship is close to Blackbeards Queen Anne's Revenge (itll be posted very soon) but to bonaparte, Admiral Bejaune, Captain K. and all the other amazing builders you should petition lego to have sets based off your ships and other pirate ships of the golden age of piracy, that is something i'd skip the morgage payment for.

YES! An accurate but minifig-ized UCS line of the "greats" of pirate history, both the pirates' ships and the ships that took 'em down. With historically correct cannon-counts, all firing of course... QAR would be ridiculously expensive with its 40 guns but seriously cool. Maybe Drake's Golden Hind and a Spanish treasure-galleon? Perhaps eventually a similar series of the great men-o'-war like Constitution, Victory et al.?

Hmm... This is a tough question. I voted "either as long as we get them soon". I liked the pirates sets we got this year, but what everyone was saying about how POTC sets would be so much more expensive isn't really true. I mean, consider the line we had just now. And nearly every price point, the figure was 7 pieces to 1 dollar (USD), instead of the more usual 10. This is about the same as most licensed sets.

As for the figures, you either like yellas all the way, or you don't mind fleshies. I must say that I'm in the latter camp, and so wouldn't mind the figures we would get. My only fear is that characters (like Jack) that have big enough hair to need a hairpiece, but don't look like themselves without hats, willl get either one or the other, or a made-in-china painted hair/hat combo. I'm not really sure what the solution to this would be, though....

And the sets would be awesome. We'd get a mid-sized ship (the interceptor), which would mean that I'd finally get to have a proper hull (buying the any of the myriad 100$ ships that we get would kill my budget for the rest of the LEGO spectrum), as well as more than two land-based sets, like we got with the recent wave. And, I see five (count 'em, five) SW-style battle packs that could be made (Jack's pirates, Davy's fishmen, Beckett's navy, Barbossa's skellies, and Sao's Singapore dudes), and which would allow for much easier collection of minifigs than lego's nonlicensed paradigm of "you get one figure for every five dollars. Or maybe you get less. It depends".

But, of course, classic pirates has the nostalgia factor, and I do like it when LEGO comes up with it's own ideas. But really, either would be fine with me. In fact, after justifying POTC up there, I even feel like rooting for it a little - after all, it'll go away after the second trilogy's wrapped up, and we'll get classic pirates back!

The idea of real ships sound great, but I think it's unlikely they will ever be released as a set. Maybe in a smaller scale (take the USS Constellation set as an example) but definately not in minifig-scale and so not compatible with the rest of the theme. Look at the Prins Willem made by Captain Green Hair, and you know what I mean.

I don't count the current line as 'Classic Pirates'. The in my opinion real Classic Pirates sets (1989-1996) was way better than the current one. But back to the question. I prefer a non-licensed Pirates theme. It's less expensive and there is not a movie the sets have to be based at. The new 10210 Imperial Flagship is an excellent example of a beautiful set TLG designed by its own. Although POTC has some great possibilities. This is just an example.

I prefer a non-licensed Pirates theme, but better a POTC license theme than none at all.

To be honest, I'm kind of sick of POTC. I'd much rather see more classic-style Pirates than a bunch of sickeningly expensive fleshie-filled sets. Besides, the main POTC market seems to be aimed at the younger kids and teen-agers, so anything from there might have nasty <insert that tiresome argument> pieces- and BURPs and LURPs are quite enough for me.

So I say Classic Pirates or none at all.

POTC Is too fictional for my taste , with skeletons and ghosts. I think maybe just normal imperials vs pirates, or even better, Pirates vs Imperial Guards vs Imperial Soldiers vs Imperial armada. :bonaparte:

POTC Is too fictional for my taste , with skeletons and ghosts. I think maybe just normal imperials vs pirates, or even better, Pirates vs Imperial Guards vs Imperial Soldiers vs Imperial armada. :bonaparte:

Good point - but you mean too supernatural (and fictional)- classic pirates are very fictional too. But perhaps i would like to see more realistic version of the classic pirates- no skullpatterned sails- and non-anachronistic soldiers etc. From potc sets we could get a british flag and sails and many interesting parts that we would probably never get from the "classic" pirates line... Upcoming 10210 ship looks very nice- with no any patterns in sails- of course spanish armada's ship's should have crosses and lions on sails but in 18th century it was not typical still every lego ships tend to have them...

Good point - but you mean too supernatural (and fictional)- classic pirates are very fictional too. But perhaps i would like to see more realistic version of the classic pirates- no skullpatterned sails- and non-anachronistic soldiers etc. From potc sets we could get a british flag and sails and many interesting parts that we would probably never get from the "classic" pirates line... Upcoming 10210 ship looks very nice- with no any patterns in sails- of course spanish armada's ship's should have crosses and lions on sails but in 18th century it was not typical still every lego ships tend to have them...

I too would like to see a more realistic pirates them. I hope we get some good parts.

I wonder if we will get any soldiers in the POTC Theme?

I wonder if we will get any soldiers in the POTC Theme?

You make it sound as if the POTC theme is a certainty, and that the only thing left to speculate on is the details...

What you mean is, 'I wonder if we WOULD get any soldiers in the POTC Theme?'

I think people need to be careful, because someone might casually read your post and assume the POTC theme is definitely going to happen, and then tell other people it's definitely going to happen and so forth... whereas all we know for certain is that the Lego company is buddies with Disney, and that Disney produce the POTC series, and that a new POTC film is coming out in 2011.

I think Lego could make some really cool stuff in a POTC theme. Imagine a giant Kraken, unlike that pathetic Kraken we got this year? Plus huge ships for Jack Sparrow, Barbosa, and Davy Jones!

I think POTC absolutely has the potential to make some cool, unique, and original sets.