• Awful
  2. 2. How would you rate the review?

• Great
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Awful

indexed.gif

Hi. This is my ninth Star Wars review and it features: the 30004 Battle Droid on STAP!

Theme: Star Wars (CW)

No of pieces: 23 (excluding fig and 4 spares)

Release Date: 2009

Minifigs: 1

RRP when released: Free (promotional set)

Bricklink

Brickset

c002.jpg

This set is based on the STAP, or Single Trooper Aerial Platform, first seen in The Phantom Menace. It was given Confederacy colours during the Clone Wars, so LEGO decided to give it a second go (the first being the original brown one). From the look of the picture, the set is based on Teth, the jungle planet seen in The Clone Wars film.

Instructions

c004.jpg

This is the front cover of the tiny instruction booklet. It shows the vehicle flying through the air, presumably shooting at the AT-TE on the side of the cliff, as seen in the film.

c005.jpg

c006.jpg

The instuctions are printed on both sides of the paper, as well as a small advert for LEGO.com and four of this years other Clone Wars sets.

Build

c003.jpg

These are all the pieces that make up the STAP and the battle droid on the left-hand side. There is a nice collection of blue and dark blue pieces here, as well as a clear stand.

c007.jpg

At stage three in the build, the model will look like this. The spine of the vehicle has been constructed and has been attached to the transparent rod.

c008.jpg

By stage six of ten, the curved front has been built up and the two engines have been put on the sides.

c009.jpg

The finished product looks like this. The top has been constructed and clipped on, as well as the clear dome that allows it to stand up.

c015.jpg

These are the four spare pieces left over.

Vehicle

c010.jpg

From the front, you can see that the droid has a good view of what's in front. The two blaster cannons would certainly cause havoc at this range.

c011.jpg

Looking at the back, we can see the battle droid doesn't actually stand on the two out-of-scale platforms.

c012.jpg

The side view certainly shows off the accurate shape of the model. The battle droid can stand on the back, like it should. The colours are a bit inaccurate, though. The dark bley curved piece would be much better in blue.

c013.jpg

And off he flies into battle; relatively unprotected, but very fast.

Minifigure

c014.jpg

Of course, as you should know by now, the only minifigure included is a plain and simple B1 Battle Droid. Although many PT fans will have these in their hundreds by now, seeing the numbers of them, and how bad they are at everything, more would come in handy.

Ratings and thoughts

Build: 6/10 - Simple, yet varied. It wasn't repetitive so it gets a good score.

Minifigures: 4/10 - Yet another battle droid, but what else would you expect in a small set like this?

Playability: 5/10 - It's quite sturdy, and the stand serves as a good handle for swooshing. Not much else to do, though.

Design: 5/10 - The colours and the design look a bit shoddy when compared with its movie counterpart, but as a stand alone model, it looks good. Those platforms are much too big.

Price: 10/10 - All this little beauty cost was 45p for the newspaper!

Overall: 30/50 - A wonderful little promo that I'm sure will be very popular among Star Wars LEGO fans.

c016.jpg

If we compare this promo to the STAP from the new AT-TE set, we can see that they are identical, except the promo lacks the unique sticker on the front.

STAP_TCW.jpg

And here's a picture of how it looked in The Clone Wars film. As you can see, it's not the most accurate model, but it still looks good.

Thanks for looking, everybody. Comments welcome, as always.

Edited by KimT

Good review. :thumbup: I really like this set, which is why I got ten of them. Do I keep saying that? :tongue: I GOT TEN!

:tongue:

There actually is a differance besides the sticker.

The one on the left with the sticker is taller, there are more bricks inbetween the guns and the top of the machine, you can tell because you can see more of the droids face on the one on the right.

c016.jpg

Looks like maybe one or two more of the single stud round pieces.

Edited by Big Cam

This set deserves an average ranking, in my opinion, because we already have plenty of battle droids and STAPs. But the blue one is more rare, although it can be easily made by anyone who has the right pieces. But it's nothing great, even special.

By the way, you have done a great review :thumbup:

great review! i want this set but sadly i live in the U.S.

Thank you! :sweet:

Good review. :thumbup: I really like this set, which is why I got ten of them. Do I keep saying that? :tongue: I GOT TEN!

:tongue:

Ta, JD. I think I recall you mentioning it. :tongue:

There actually is a differance besides the sticker.

The one on the left with the sticker is taller, there are more bricks inbetween the guns and the top of the machine, you can tell because you can see more of the droids face on the one on the right.

Looks like maybe one or two more of the single stud round pieces.

You're right. I knew there was something else, but couldn't figure out what. I think I prefer the lower one. The droid has a better view and it looks more accurate.

This set deserves an average ranking, in my opinion, because we already have plenty of battle droids and STAPs. But the blue one is more rare, although it can be easily made by anyone who has the right pieces. But it's nothing great, even special.

By the way, you have done a great review :thumbup:

Thank you veru much, Trudop!

I love STAPs, so this was a great way to get another blue one. :classic:

Great review ADHO15!

The printing on the bag is great! The purple sky is really eye-drawing, and the explosion looks awesome!

If these were in the US, I would buy at least three (given that they are $4 USD)!

And by the way, if you want a sticker on the promo set, you can always scan the 1 x 2 tile on the other STAP. :wink:

I dont know what to say about this set. On one hand its a real star wars vehicle but on the other its really plain and doesnt look like its predecessor in the AT TE set. Its good that it comes with quite a few hard to find pieces and in the light blue they look really cool. I like how they used the bley lightsabre pieces for guns on it I like it when they use them.

Great review ADHO15!

Great review ADHO15!

The printing on the bag is great! The purple sky is really eye-drawing, and the explosion looks awesome!

If these were in the US, I would buy at least three (given that they are $4 USD)!

And by the way, if you want a sticker on the promo set, you can always scan the 1 x 2 tile on the other STAP. :wink:

Thank you, Pi! :sweet:

Good tip. I might try that sometime. :thumbup:

I dont know what to say about this set. On one hand its a real star wars vehicle but on the other its really plain and doesnt look like its predecessor in the AT TE set. Its good that it comes with quite a few hard to find pieces and in the light blue they look really cool. I like how they used the bley lightsabre pieces for guns on it I like it when they use them.

Great review ADHO15!

Thanks a lot, Roncanator! :classic:

Great review ADHO!

I was pleased to pick this up; I don't own the AT-TE (yet) so didn't have any of these Clone Wars style STAPs. They're well built, look great and have some really useful parts. Got a few of 'em now :wink:

One thing I'm forever doing now though is adding 1x2 tan plates to battle droids for backpacks... it really adds to the figure! Just wish LEGO would keep including them...

A great review indeed, ADHO15! ) :classic::thumbup:

And I must admit, I like that variant more that AT-TE one, really. )

And I find it a good army builder. ) :classic:

Thanks! )

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :sweet:

A great review indeed, ADHO15! ) :classic::thumbup:

And I must admit, I like that variant more that AT-TE one, really. )

And I find it a good army builder. ) :classic:

Thanks! )

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :sweet:

Thank you very much, Penguin! :sweet:

I agree. I really liked the sticker that came with it then. It makes all the difference to me.

I only got one STAP for myself, but as you can see in the promo discussion thread, other people have certainly gone with your idea. :tongue:

No problem. :wink:

Thank you very much, Penguin! :sweet:

I agree. I really liked the sticker that came with it then. It makes all the difference to me.

I only got one STAP for myself, but as you can see in the promo discussion thread, other people have certainly gone with your idea. :tongue:

No problem. :wink:

I got a few of the STAPs to bulk out my army a bit. Wish I'd known about the Stormtrooper and Clone Trooper ones in time, but I don't normally read the Mirror. I did manage to get a token for the walker, and the shop lady was nice enough to give me the speeder as well when I asked.

Aaanyhow, love the use of microphones and lightsabre handles on this. Also a good few useful pieces I needed more of, so all in all, a great little set.

Great review ADHO15 :thumbup::wub:

hoping to win one of these off you in the future :grin:

looking forward to it :grin:

CommanderFox

Thanks a lot, Fox. :sweet:

You'll have to work hard for it. You confused and curious individuals will find out what we're talking about in time. Just keep an eye on my sig. :wink:

Thanks a lot, Fox. :sweet:

You'll have to work hard for it. You confused and curious individuals will find out what we're talking about in time. Just keep an eye on my sig. :wink:

Your Very welcome! :sweet:

Im good at working hard :grin::wink:

looking forward to it!

sorry for off-topic post.

CommanderFox