Sign in to follow this  
Matt Dawson

30004 Droid on STAP review

indexed.gif

No extras today - though I could've nabbed a second one while no-one was looking... :devil:

The model compes complete with a clear/see through stand (the usual dish with pipe combo; though it's inbuilt with this one)

Theme: Star Wars (TCW)

No of pieces: 32 (4 are spares)

Release Date: 2008 - appeared in 7675 "AT-TE Walker"

RRP when released: Free (promotional set); 45p if you but the paper just for the set

The outer packet:

3899311559_fbbc47d3a8.jpg

There is a modest ammount of parts:

3900094078_3f364ae7e0.jpg

Instructions part 1:

3899312737_f90a0fe9a4.jpg

Instructions page 2:

3899313249_5bd230946b.jpg

...And the advertising :hmpf: :

3899314599_9b221c9c65.jpg

And the droid. Isn't he cute and harmless wiothout his weapon? (spare arm!)

3900100392_eb177b76c5.jpg

During step 6:

3900097036_5df05d03e6.jpg

And the spares (including the droid arm):

3899315831_0504fd86e7.jpg

The top part is quite clever in that it just clips on:

3900102564_e36c62f624.jpg

3899320127_501b28bed1.jpg

The finished article:

3900268362_d7751ea630.jpg

I was quite dissapointed to learn there was no platform for the droid's feet :cry_sad:

3899486927_9b5764476c.jpg

3900270174_6dd60dc3cf.jpg

Overall: Not bad for the 45p. A nice veriety of parts, and probably a model we'll never see again. Again, quite a simple build that'll keep people amused; and possibly one which might be modified by those who don't believe it looks 'right'. Quite clever use of the technic pneumatic T junction as the holder for the 'wings'; which fitted into 1x1 blue bricks with studes on the top and all sides. Shame about the 'no platform for droid's feet' issue; but droids don't have rights, do they...

And BTW; I think someone got jealous... :wink:

3899326341_986f0d1ecc.jpg

3900109514_4b0be9b080.jpg

3900101208_cf6d97f575.jpg

"That'll teach him"

Edited by KimT

Thanks for the review Matt. I nipped down today and got mine so I'm chuffed! These Clone Wars style STAPs are a great alternative to the movie version and the parts - although I'm more inclined to keep these - are really useful too.

Incidentally you don't need to 'nab' anything, just take in more than one token. As I've come to read it it's one set per reader and the places I've visited interpret this as one reader = one newspaper purchase. If you should need some kind of explanation, say that you're picking them up for multiple people (as I actually am).

You might want to think about putting a sheet of paper or some kind of blank surface in the background to make the LEGO in your photos stand out a bit more? :wink:

You might want to think about putting a sheet of paper or some kind of blank surface in the background to make the LEGO in your photos stand out a bit more? :wink:

I'll take some better detailed ones soon - yesterdays turned out alright :hmpf_bad:

BTW, I was joking when I'd say i'd steal/nab one...

Edited by Matt Dawson

Dang it! I wish lived in England right now for all the models. AAHHHHHHH :cry_sad: .

By the way though, this STAP is the same as the one from the AT-TE.

Dang it! I wish lived in England right now for all the models. AAHHHHHHH :cry_sad: .

Indeed! But it's slightly cheaper to get your hands on this one :wink:

Thanks for your review !

Your droid may not be very happy with you, though - I think his body is back-to-front ! (I believe that the stud should be at the back)

Incidentally, I just bought some (too expensive) blue 1 x 1 cheese slopes on Bricklink for a MOC; I wish I'd waited now - some of these pieces are included in the STAP (one is even extra) and I could have saved myself the money.

Dr. D.

Nice review. I'd vote this set outstanding because it's the only promo set that doesn't look underscaled and would therefore fit in with other "normal" sets perfectly. :thumbup: Would have been nice to get the sticker from the AT-TE, and this would have been a perfect army builder if it would have come with a blaster and twisted arm, but those would just have been bonuses I guess.

I'll take some better detailed ones soon - yesterdays turned out alright :hmpf_bad:

Well, when you're at it, don't forget to assemble the droid correctly this time (as in put on the torso the other way). :wink:

This "set" is better than i expected. :thumbup:

What are the quotation marks for? :look: I think this qualifies as a set very well, unlike other things like the Chrome Vader which is basically just a fig.

I'm impressed again with a great little model. Whilst a platform for the Droid's feet might be usefull, I can also imagine that a Droid might also be able to hold on with the arms. I'm not sure what it really is, what it should look like, but I know that I really enjoyed building it. Some excellent parts for me aswell. This promotion gets better and better...

Whilst a platform for the Droid's feet might be usefull, I can also imagine that a Droid might also be able to hold on with the arms. I'm not sure what it really is, what it should look like, but I know that I really enjoyed building it.

They are small platforms with tiny pedals on them, coming out of the sides of the STAP. Very hard to recapture in Lego, especially with the BD legs not being able to split:

STAP-chron.jpg

Maybe it's what those wings on the sides are supposed to be?

Actualy it is not the same. I you look at this picture from your review, the STAP has no studs under the 1x1 clip. The AT-TE one has 2 blue studs there which makes the STAP taller.

3900102564_e36c62f624.jpg

Also the sticker is missing :laugh:

Great review. I don't live in the UK, so every time I see a review for one of these sets, I'm sooo jealous. :tongue: Anyways, something I've noticed is that you have the battle droid body backwards. The stud is supposed to be on his back. The Life on Mars aliens had the stud on the front. It's just something that has bothered me over the past year or so. I also don't like it when people put the arms on the wrong way. (Don't worry, your's is fine. :tongue: )

Thanks for this review, I'm not like most people, I don't get them every day, I'm collecting the vouchers and sending off for them all at once. A great review. :thumbup: