pedro

Most Hated!

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Ladies, gentlemen...

After commenting on the recent batch of slightly blurry new release pictures - that had me ranting on about the LEGO buzz-droid minifig again - I thought it'd be great fun to have a light and friendly discussion about what everyone's most hated Star Wars set and minifig is! Maybe hated is a strong word, but I more mean general dislikedness whether it be about design, build, content, etc. and any constructive criticism that you might have. As opposed to one of our many favourites or most wanted polls, lets turn things upside down and see...

Which set do you feel was a Lego FAIL?

Which minifig irks you the most?

My most 'hated' set - 7103 Jedi Duel

box-7103.jpg

They really should have just put Yoda and Dooku in a box together... Dooku's speeder looks like the flying hot-tub of speeders, clunky and with very little detail (asides from printed slopes). A sticker saying 'My Other Speeder is a 74-Z!' wouldn't look out of place here! And the strange technic built 'speeder-holder' is just dreadfully redundant. Would've been just as well provided some long tiles to mark out a parking space complete with 'P' signage.

I've never owned a set that's spent so little time built! Off to room 101! Yoda, Dooku - stay here :wink:

My most 'hated' minifig - buzz droid

buzz_droid.gif

Originally included in 2005's release of the Tri-fighter and undeservedly resurrected in Ahsoka's Starfighter, the gait-ambiguous buzz droid is a pretty dreadful representation of it's quirky screen counterpart and almost comedic with his giant pair of mismatched legs! Wrong number of legs, wrong bodyshape, wrong number of eyes - okay, I'll accept three eyes is a bit more of a challenge to realise on something this small, but the designers could have tried harder with the rest of it. Maybe they were just fed-up that day...

It does have one redeeming quality: those printed domes are great... but not enough to save this guy in my eyes... back to the house of pain with you!

Anyone else got a most hated? Comments on mine? Keep it light and friendly :wink:

Edited by pedro

My most hated set:

Er... I don't know. :classic: But I think that most of Clone Wars sets are bad. :hmpf_bad::thumbdown:

My most hated minifigure: this orange guy with purple hair from Exo Force. All Exo-Force minifigs are bad, but sometimes their heads are useful. :thumbup:

Consider this a warning.

We'll not allow ranting topics around here.

But if this stays argumentative and sober, then we're willing to let it live.

And I really don't think he meant Exo-Force figs.

This is solely for Star Wars sets and figs.

Pedro gave a good intro on how and what to post.

Let's keep it that way.

:vader:

Or else I'll have to call the :monkey:

I don't hate any Star Wars set, but 7151 Sith Infiltrator was probably the worst designed SW set ever. It was blocky, colorful, and the only pro was that it came with Darth Maul, whom you could get in a very small set with Qui-Gon. I think the only reason people bought this set was because 1. It was Star Wars 2. It was in the new movie 3. Darth Maul was in it 4. You were a collector.

My least favorite minifig is definitely the new R2-D2. :hmpf_bad: I know he has a gray dome in all the movies, but the one Lego was using was fine, it had some silver on the dome.Plus the original was much more detailed on the body.

Edited by Spyder

The Sith Infiltrator may be poorly designed, but consider how old it is and compare to other LEGO sets from that peroid and I'll say that it's quite good. :tongue:

Not a set I'd buy today, but back then - hellyeah! :grin:

Oh, I didn't readed it... :blush: Sorry. So I improve my answer - my most hated minifig is propably EV-9D9, Gonk droid or clones.

I can summarize all my posts in this topic - I don't like clones. :laugh:

Sorry again.

My most hated set is probably the 7161 Gungan Sub. That's not just because it's old either. I have many of the old sets (the Tie Fighter, X-Wing, Y-Wing, B-Wing, Naboo Fighter, Falcon) that came out around that time, and I like all of them fine, but this one was really no good. It's too big and flat to swoosh very well, the shape is not great, and the movie inaccuracy doesn't help. The only minifigure that didn't come in a cheap set was Obi-Wan with his exclusive brown hood, but even he can't redeem a $45 set that's no good.

As for minifigure, I'll agree that the buzz droid is pretty bad, as well as those single molded piece characters like Sebulba and Aldar Beedo, and also the weirdly created characters like Gasgano and the Aldar Beedo from the podracer tub, which is also a pretty bad set. However, I don't actually own any of those minifigures, so I have to go with the new Lukes as the worst.

I really dislike the modern Luke with the young Obi-Wan face. It looks wrong to me, and it's just not Luke-like in my eyes. The most recent Luke I got (in 7666) also has eyebrows that make him look a little angry, which is not like the character in the movie. Sorry, LEGO, but I'd love to see a resurrection of the old Luke face (and in flesh!).

My least favorite is the twilight. The lego company did a good job designing it but, it really looks like a grey box with two wings. The figure selection is aweful in this set and the interior has almost no detail at all.

7680-0.5_twilight.jpg

My least favorite figure would be Clone Wars Anakin. Something about him is really creepy. As it turns out my least favorite figure is in my least favorite set.

Jedi Duel was a good set in my opinion. I'm not sure that Count Dooku's Speeder looks like a hot tube :grin: I actually paid $50.00 for one off of bricklink a little while ago. The speeder bike from the movie had more brown in it but other than that I think its fine.

Oh dear, didn't mean for this to be a ranting topic; just a clean, tongue in cheek discussion about people's dislikes! People are often harsh on newly released photos (even blurry ones), I thought it'd be fun discussing sets they didn't particularly like from past releases. I edited my opening post to reflect this.

I don't hate any Star Wars set, but 7151 Sith Infiltrator was probably the worst designed SW set ever.

I didn't mind the Sith Infiltrator at all... I just missed the prequel sets' line-up buying the OT sets! Saying that I'd probably look on it with disdain now, nestled amongst my newer, sleeker, greeblier starships :wink:

I really dislike the modern Luke with the young Obi-Wan face. It looks wrong to me, and it's just not Luke-like in my eyes.

That's so funny: I'm the exact opposite! There was always something about his merged eye/eyebrow arrangement that I didn't like; so as soon as I could I replaced every old Luke head with the new young Obi-wan one. Now I have a long multi-Luke totem pole-like structure in one of my boxes :laugh:

Edited by pedro

Looks like kind of a negative thread, but as long as we can do this in a mature manner as KimT said, I'll be glad to participate. :classic:

I really hate the Death Star and UCS Falcon sets because they are so awesome but almost impossible to afford. :angry::laugh:

Seriously though, my least favorite set of all time is the 7151 Sith Infiltrator.

7151-1.jpg

It is blocky, ugly, had barely anything exclusive (except for maybe the two printed pieces), and came with only one minifig, one which you could also get in a $3 set at the time. The re-release looked a little better, but not by much. :sadnew: It even makes the Twilight look good. :tongue:

As for most disliked minifig, It'd have to be the Aldaar Beedo from the SW bucket:

sw006.jpg

What an excuse for a minifig. :hmpf: The one in the Watto's Junkyard set looked a lot more accurate, but was also a pretty crappy minifig due to zero posability.

And I agree that Jedi Duel was a pretty good set. getting two exclusive main character figs in a $10 set was a steal, and the speeder, albeit not having the right color scheme, looked pretty good IMO. And that catapult thingy was good for parts. But if you hated it, that's your opinion, and I wouldn't want to change it. :classic:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Mine would have to be 7257 Ultimate Lightsaber Duel. I never personally owned it, but one of my friends did. It was absolutely horrible, because of the light up figs, poorly working dueling game, and not very accurate features. In fact, it hardly resembled Mustafar at all to me!

In terms of figs, I really dislike many if the new Clone Wars figs. Mace Windu looks like his face shrunk in the wash and was stretched over the head, and Yoda has some sort of gray fungus growing on the back of his head!

As for most disliked minifig, It'd have to be the Aldaar Beedo from the SW bucket:

sw006.jpg

Seconded - at least buzz droids look relatively like their movie counterparts.

And so as not to be biased towards PT or OT: here are my worst PT and OT sets:

PT: Sith Infiltrator (not very interesting design, only one minifig, barelly any useful pieces)

OT: Twin Pod Cloud Car (A bit too andular for the sleek look in the movie, uninteresting fig unless a collector)

I predict a lot of Clone Wars hate..

Anyway, I'd have to say my least favourite set is the Twilight. It's a pretty cool ship, and had a lot of potiential to make a great set, but I really don't think they did a good job with it. I'm also not a fan of Vulture droids. They're designed well enough, but just the fact they seem to keep throwing them into the Starfighter sets to boost up the prices really bothers me. Cheaper sets have seen a bit of a come back, so here's hoping Plo Koon's figher isn't bundled with one.

11f7_2.JPG

My least favourite minifig is General Grievous, I think it just looks awful and basically looks like he's a MOC made out of spare parts. Considering how threatening he's supposed to be.. the minifig version just looks sad.

Edited by Penitent Tangent

Mine would have to be 7257 Ultimate Lightsaber Duel. I never personally owned it, but one of my friends did. It was absolutely horrible, because of the light up figs, poorly working dueling game, and not very accurate features. In fact, it hardly resembled Mustafar at all to me!

I also hated that set. The only reason I bought it was because I wanted the figs. It did have some useful parts in it though.

My least favorite minifig would have to be either the CW Anakin or the Sebulba minifig from the podrace set.

Nice topic idea.

I totally agrea with Oky Wan Kenobi, but let us not Forget the Droid fighter aswell.

I hate it when it pops up when I search trough eBay and fins cheap Lego Star Wars.

My least favourite minifig is General Grievous, I think it just looks awful and basically looks like he's a MOC made out of spare parts. Considering how threatening he's supposed to be.. the minifig version just looks sad.

Well, he's not the best minifig ever, that's for sure, but I think he is pretty decent compared to figs like Aldaar Beedo. The only things that bother me about him is the short arms and legs and the non-printed head. I think he could have been much worse. For example, a Grievous head on a white BD body. :sick:

My least favorite minifig would have to be either the CW Anakin or the Sebulba minifig from the podrace set.

I think Sebulba is better than Aldaar Beedo. At least he can hold on to something. Beedo just looks like a bad statue of himself. :sceptic:

I totally agrea with Oky Wan Kenobi, but let us not Forget the Droid fighter aswell.

I hate it when it pops up when I search trough eBay and fins cheap Lego Star Wars.

Thanks. Well, yes, the droid fighter was pretty bad too, especially compared to today's Vulture droids and considering the low playability and the non-existent minifig count. But at least it wasn't as blocky as the Infiltrator, had some interesting exclusive parts, and was a good armada builder set.

I have to agree with you there, he just doesn't look nearly as imposing as he should do! I hope they change him when they release the new 8095 - that'd be sweet. In the meantime I have my own brick-built version :wink:

That made me chuckle... it's so true :laugh:

Count me in the minority that actually liked the original Sith Infiltrator. I agree that it looks terrible by today's standards, but I probably played with that set as a kid more than any other of my star wars sets.

My least favorite set would have to be Watto's Junkyard. It seems to be a popular set, but I just never saw the point to it, about the only redeeming quality at the time was that it came with quite a few green pieces. You can't build both podracers at the same time and Mawhonic is nowhere to be found. I'd love to have an official Lego Gran. I'm not a fan of the Watto fig either, the small legs, that I usually don't like, would have been great with him.

I'll pile onto the CW hate. The figs are just ugly imo. My least favorite would have to be Obi-Wan, but Anakin, Palpatine and Asajj Ventress aren't far behind.

Set, mid scale MF, too many of them, and no mini figures.

Mini figure, i don't hate any figure, how ever i hate TLC when they have been lazy and given us "faceless" figures, like the royal guards all black face, and i have a storm trooper with all white face.

Worst minifigs would have to be some of the obscure Episode 1 dudes that came with the Pod Racer sets. Sebulba in particular is hardly a 'minifig' as it is a decoration for his Racer.

My most hated set : #8039 Venator.

Actually, I had never seen such an ugly set.

When I was 10 years old, I was able to make something better. O_o

I think he could have been much worse. For example, a Grievous head on a white BD body. :sick:

He almost looks like that already to me, with his splindly white legs. You are right though - he could've been worse (shudders to think)!

My least favorite set would have to be Watto's Junkyard. It seems to be a popular set, but I just never saw the point to it, about the only redeeming quality at the time was that it came with quite a few green pieces. You can't build both podracers at the same time and Mawhonic is nowhere to be found.

I think the whole creator-esque feel to it was a good idea, it just needed to be backed up with better and more relevant minifigs. I'm sure if we ever see a LEGO Watto again he'd be somewhat improved... and have little legs!

My most hated set : #8039 Venator.

Actually, I had never seen such an ugly set.

When I was 10 years old, I was able to make something better. O_o

Funny Anio, seeing your work so far I actually believe that!

For me, the worst set in the Star Wars line was 7127: AT-ST. The color scheme was off, it was far too undersized, the walking action left a lot to be desired. And it included Chewbacca, instead of an Imperial pilot. In it's defense, it was only a $10 set, and I beleive this set was the easiest (read: cheapest) way to get a Chewbacca at the time. But still, I never have liked this set.

The Ultimate Lightsaber Duel seems like it is a terrible set as well, but I have no first-hand experience with it, so I can't choose that one.

As far as minifigs go, I would have to go with Sebulba's poor excuse for a minifig. It's useless for anything except sitting in a podracer, and even that is limited.

11f7_2.JPG

There isn't really a set I "HATE" but I agree, I wish Grievous, was a lot different. He's barely payable, his arms don't work at all, you can basically set him up and look at how awful he is.

There have been a few MOC Greivous' that have been 10 times better.