Captain Blackmoor

Le Fourageux, French third-rate ship of the line, minifig scale!

Ofcourse I had already seen the decals, but not on a minifig. It looks great! And I really like the carronade! I have seen another way to build one but that uses black barrels and they are hard to get here.. So this one is better for me. It's only quite big for an 18-gun ship (or something like that) like I'm building :pir_laugh2: And those are indeed good sources of inspiration, don't forget the visiting of ships (like Joey said) ---> sunday the VOC-ship Amsterdam :pir-classic:

Thanks ECR! I can't wait for it myself either. :pir_laugh2:

According to Wikipedia it are beaver hats. I always thought it were just top hats.

Thanks for that information! :thumbup:

There is also top hats. But I just thought marines would be wearing something different, but the closest thing lego had to it was the top hat.

I just saw the new update on brickshelf and you appear to have only 8 Cannon on each side. How much longer will it have to fit 22 on each side? Because you have made the gunports extremely far apart.

Those marines are great. I think that you are starting a new trend by using the top hats for pirates. It won't be long before other people are using those too(like me). The torsos are also fantastic. I think that I'll try to make more torso's for my port.

Those marines are great. I think that you are starting a new trend by using the top hats for pirates. It won't be long before other people are using those too(like me). The torsos are also fantastic. I think that I'll try to make more torso's for my port.

Im going to use Top Hats, but not for Marines. For the rightful guys like Boatswains and Midshipmen.

I just saw the new update on brickshelf and you appear to have only 8 Cannon on each side. How much longer will it have to fit 22 on each side? Because you have made the gunports extremely far apart.

6 studs between the gunports isn't that much. The hull is for 1/3 finished now, and from the 44 guns there will be 6 on the quarterdeck and 2 on the forecastle.

And fourth rates were quite long ships compared to their height.

Thanks! I'm glad I've inspired someone with the new 'pirate fashion'. :pir_laugh2:

Top hats are hard to get though, there aren't many sets they come in. The torso's won't be a big deal.

I hope to make some more mariners and other crewmembers soon! The decals are ready...

It has been quite a while ago I've posted an update of the Fourageux.

Today, I was planning to post. :pir-classic:

As you will see, she has undergone a massive update. She is much wider now, and almost minifig accurate.

I'm working as a beast on her again, and I hope to make some good progress these weeks.

The biggest change is probably the fact I've decided to make a brickbuilt hull instead of prefabs. She will be a waterline model.

fourageux_update_7003.jpg

A few days ago, the Admiral's cabin under construction.

fourageux-wip002.jpg

Also from a few days ago. Building the Captain's quarters.

fourageux-wip0004.jpg

Today, the details are not done though. I have placed an order a few days ago, and it should be here soon. I have worked out some nice ideas for details. :pir-classic:

fourageux-wip0003.jpg

The stern with the fleur de lys on top. Below the admiral's cabin, between the bananas I will make a French flag.

That was all for now, feel free to browse my Brickshelf Gallery after the pictures have been moderated. :pir-wink:

And now we have been squabbling long enough, I'll get back to building. :pir-sweet:

I always like sterns with this colorscheme and this is certainly no exception!

It looks really good, with the small flowers and fleur the lis, I can't wait to see the rest of this ship once it's finished.

The curved on the bottom also turned out nicely :thumbup:

I also worked on my stern: I added a name :pir-grin:

Looks very nice. Your ship is getting bigger and bigger, certainly now that you've decided on a brick-built hull.

This is looking really good. I like all the windows and small details as well as the sheer size of the cabin. I can't wait to see more progress!

But it stinks starting all over! :pir-hmpf_bad:

Nah, it's just making it a little bit wider, the sides and galleries are still the same.

More bricks have arrived today, which means an update should come soon. :pir-cry_happy:

Thanks for your feedback guys! :pir-classic:

Hello all. :pir-classic:

It has been quite a long time since I've posted an update. And after some great progress here is finally the latest update.

Some of you might have seen already some earlier pictures on Flickr or directly via MSN. In the previous week I had a building weekend with our Admiral Croissant, some great progress has been made on our ships.

After refining the shapes and making it more secure it is worthly to look at. :pir-laugh:

Anyway, here is what I currently have, enjoy! :pir-sweet:

4398800894_c6b8bc561d_o.jpg

The overview.

4398800996_f11b3b205c_o.jpg

The stern which needs some tiny adjustments.

4398033753_9083f2407b_o.jpg

The view from the quarterdeck, including fire-estinguish buckets!

And then the part I'm very proud of:

4398800248_09c3bdc4d2_o.jpg

The bow! With a new way to create the always-so-hard-to-do-headrails.

The whole construction has exploded several times due the high pressure, but that problem has been solved.

4398033663_9b30abe6d0_o.jpg

The flowers for the anchor rope holes will be replaced by other bricks. Also the yellow hoses near the figurehead aren't quite finished.

4398033029_995e8f3331_o.jpg

The figurehead! A silver knight walking over the skulls of the defeated enemies. The sword of justice in the one hand, the key to freedom in the other.

4398799876_1bf2885902_o.jpg

Another overview. I need to order some bricks to get the colours right.

4398801082_edd6ac4f2d_o.jpg

Sneak peak of the 68 pounder Carronade on the forcastle. Credit for the barrel goes to Admiral Croissant.

4398800448_d0a7bbacc0_o.jpg

Life on board isn't that hard... At long as Admiral Croissant gets his croissants on time. :pir-laugh:

That'll be all for now. Thank you for watching!

Next time I expect to have the hull finished! :pir-sweet:

Many more pictures on Flickr.

See you around!

:pir-wink:

Great work so far Captain Blackmoor.

You have made a great progress since the last pictures. :thumbup:

I really like the bow with those headrails, and that figurehead with those skulls.

the Inventor

The overall look is great Captain! :thumbup:

Especially your headrails look brilliant!

However I have to be a bit critical,

The bow is not round enough, it runs too flat too fast, I would seriously consider making it rounder before calling it the final version.

The catheads appear to be a bit large, but it might be the picture...

Keep up the building!

Life on board isn't that hard... As long as Admiral Croissant gets his croissants on time. :pir-laugh:

..and that's exactly how it is! I believe that life aboard would be much easier if everyone had croissants (but ofcourse only very fortunate people can afford them):pir-classic:

Anyway, your ship is looking fantastic, the beam for the anchor is looking good so far and I also like the figurehead a lot!

The bow is not round enough, it runs too flat too fast, I would seriously consider making it rounder before calling it the final version.
I have to agree, but since you are adjusting things all the time I think you will be able to fix that without too many problems.

For the rest I have nothing to complain so far, keep on building this way and she will turn out really nice!

Good luck captain :pir-classic:

Oh, before I forget (I actually did forget, but fortunately I can edit the post :pir-sweet: ):

blogged.png

Edited by Admiral Croissant

Brilliant Mate! I love the Bow, Looks exactly like HMS Victory! Speaking of the HMS Victory, When abouts do you want to meet there in the Summer? :thumbup:

Wow Henk, you've really made brilliant progress. This ship just gets better and better. I was skeptical about your headrails design when I first heard abou it, but now you have me convinced. They look fantastic! How did you reinforce the hull to stop the pressure of the headrails making iit explode?

the beam for the anchor is looking good so far

I actually have to disagree. They currently look way to big, although I think it has something to do with the angle. The catheads were on a 45 degree angle to the front of the ship. Although your brick-built bowsprit protruding from the bow is outstanding! What piece did you use to give it the angle?

Brilliant Mate! I love the Bow, Looks exactly like HMS Victory!

With the exception of a missing deck. :pir_laugh2:

Great work so far Captain Blackmoor.

You have made a great progress since the last pictures. :thumbup:

I really like the bow with those headrails, and that figurehead with those skulls.

the Inventor

Thanks! :pir-classic:

The overall look is great Captain! :thumbup:

Especially your headrails look brilliant!

However I have to be a bit critical,

The catheads appear to be a bit large, but it might be the picture...

Keep up the building!

Thanks captain!

The bow is actually very round, exactly like a half circle. It must be the pictures but the sides are very smooth. It needs some refining though. :pir-classic:

I agree with you on the catheads, they are too long and I will shorten them, just forgot to do it... :pir-hmpf_bad:

..and that's exactly how it is! I believe that life aboard would be much easier if everyone had croissants (but ofcourse only very fortunate people can afford them):pir-classic:

Anyway, your ship is looking fantastic, the beam for the anchor is looking good so far and I also like the figurehead a lot!

I have to agree, but since you are adjusting things all the time I think you will be able to fix that without too many problems.

For the rest I have nothing to complain so far, keep on building this way and she will turn out really nice!

Good luck captain :pir-classic:

Oh, before I forget (I actually did forget, but fortunately I can edit the post :pir-sweet: ):

blogged.png

Thanks Admiral! I hope you did enjoy your croissant. :pir_laugh2:

The beam for the anchor is quite long at this moment, I will shorten it. I'm glad you like the figurehead! :pir-classic:

Brilliant Mate! I love the Bow, Looks exactly like HMS Victory! Speaking of the HMS Victory, When abouts do you want to meet there in the Summer? :thumbup:

Thanks Joey! I'm glad you like it so much.

We'll talk about the trip soon. :pir-wink:

Wow Henk, you've really made brilliant progress. This ship just gets better and better. I was skeptical about your headrails design when I first heard abou it, but now you have me convinced. They look fantastic! How did you reinforce the hull to stop the pressure of the headrails making iit explode?

I actually have to disagree. They currently look way to big, although I think it has something to do with the angle. The catheads were on a 45 degree angle to the front of the ship. Although your brick-built bowsprit protruding from the bow is outstanding! What piece did you use to give it the angle?

With the exception of a missing deck. :pir_laugh2:

Thanks Connor! :pir-sweet:

I'll explain the solution for the pressure with a picture soon. :pir-wink:

The anchor beams indeed are too long, and I'm working on the 45 degree angle in it. Lots of pressure in that area...

I'm glad you like it Captain!

Fantastic!

The scale on this beast of a vessel is wonderful, not just because being full-size you're able to fit a full crew, full cannons, and really have an accurate and massive warship - but I think best of all because it allows you to use 1xhowever long tiles as the planks of the ship's hull, and I've always thought that would look amazing but take a ton of tiles very carefully planned and executed. So it's good to finally see that done and done well, and it looks better than I ever hoped it would.

The midshipmen all look good. I think a nice alternative for people who don't sticker torsos would be the new "second" captain that came with the LEGO Pirate Building Set - this fellow:

RedbeardJunior.jpg

Love seeing top hats on midshipmen as well. Now I feel I must watch Master & Commander again as soon as I can.

I like the use of the Diver submarine arms as the massive headrails. I'm not sure if confronted with the same problem of scaling up I'd have thought to use them. It looks very iconic, and would set this ship apart from the rest even if Le Fourageux didn't already dwarf every other ship in the ocean.

I think the thing I like best is the use of the classic white LEGO doors on the white interior topdeck cabin wall. I've been using those old-style doors on every ship I build, but can't hold a candle to seeing them used on a ship that's actually large enough for a pair of them so they don't seem too modern and out of place.

My only complaint?

The fact that the vessel's lowest deck is nonexistent, because it would be below the water level and this needs to be flat-bottomed for display, balance and proper appearances sake ... means we won't have a fully realized bottom deck filled with 1x1 or 2x2 round gray and light gray plates and massive barrels keeping the boat weighted.

But that's just wishful thinking, and is no complaint at all compared to the magnificence of this build.

Edited by Briggs Broadside

This day shall go down in history, march the first, of the year of our lord 2010, as the day Captain Blackmoor came around to posting an AMAZING update

I'm pretty sure its illegal to post the amount of smileys I'd like to have in this post, so I'll leave it with one.

:pir_yoda: