Cale

MOC: Western Maryland "Russian Decapod"

traintech1.jpg

Western Maryland I-1 class “Russian Decapod”

wm1104s.jpg

During World War I the Western Maryland Railway received 10 surplus 2-10-0 steam locomotives all built by Baldwin Locomotive Works. These “Russian Decapods” were originally part of a larger order placed by Imperial Russia with American locomotive builders Baldwin and Alco. But the onset of the Bolshevik revolution in 1917, stranded nearly 200 of these locomotives either awaiting shipment or in the process of construction. These locomotives were adopted by the United States Railroad Administration (USRA), the body created by the US Government to oversee and control the railroads during the War, converted to American standards, and put to use on American railroads.They were well liked by the WM crews for their good steaming, easy firing, and good ride qualities. The “Russian Decks” lasted until 1950/51 when they were finally retired and sold for scrap.

3821832480_6e4d4aee44.jpg

3821867948_796ac72124.jpg

I’ve been a huge fan of the Western Maryland but it’s taken me a while to get around to building a WM steam engine. I wanted to put as much effort into detail on this engine as I could. I also wanted to incorporate the new Power Functions system. The PF system allowed me to ditch a bulky more traditional 9v motor under the tender and use smaller brick built trucks. The tender houses the rechargeable battery box and the I.R. receiver. A medium Power Functions motor is hidden in the fire box and geared to the drivers.

You can see more on my Flickr Gallery.

And some photos of the real WM “Russian Decapods”.

Cale

Hi Cale,

Thats a great engine, I'm envious of your building ability.

I hope I dont appear to be rude, but I'd love to know where I can find more photos of the roundhouse your engine is in front of. I'm currently building one myself, and it looks like mine uses the same geometry as yours. I found a photo of yours from brickworld, and was quite dissapointed. I was not only beaten with the geometry, but your roundhouse has captured an simple industrial elegance which I haven't with mine.

Peter

Cale: this is a fantastic lomomotive. I love the details that you put into it, and your custom decals look so bright and vivid. When I was making my ghost train last year, this is the kind of engine I would have loved to create.

The image in front of the round house is superb, making it look like a real model railroad display.

This would make an excellent entry for the Train Tech contest (Category 2). Your round house is equally impressive. I'd love to see some more images of your complete layout.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Cale,

Thats a great engine, I'm envious of your building ability.

I hope I dont appear to be rude, but I'd love to know where I can find more photos of the roundhouse your engine is in front of. I'm currently building one myself, and it looks like mine uses the same geometry as yours. I found a photo of yours from brickworld, and was quite dissapointed. I was not only beaten with the geometry, but your roundhouse has captured an simple industrial elegance which I haven't with mine.

Peter

Thanks.

The round house and turn table actually belong to Jeramy Spurgeon. Jeramy and Mark Peterson were kind enough to let me park my engines and rolling stock in Central Indiana LTC's rail yard for Brickworld 2009. I hope to build one of my own some day and I hope it turns out as well Jeramy's. It made a great back drop for some of my steam engines. Here are some more photos I could find.

Side View.

My Pennsylvania I1sa tucked in one of the stalls.

My little Reading #1251 in front of a stall.

You may be able to find more photos if you search the Brickworld Flickr Group.

Cale

Cale: this is a fantastic lomomotive. I love the details that you put into it, and your custom decals look so bright and vivid. When I was making my ghost train last year, this is the kind of engine I would have loved to create.

The image in front of the round house is superb, making it look like a real model railroad display.

This would make an excellent entry for the Train Tech contest (Category 2). Your round house is equally impressive. I'd love to see some more images of your complete layout.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank You. Unfortunately this engine is ineligible. She's 9 wide (more if you count greebles).

And the Round House belongs to Jeramy Spurgeon. See my post above.

Cale

Cale - Nice tea kettle. Funny thing but I didn't notice this was one of the Russian decapods at Brickworld this Summer. Another one of these from the same order eventually wound up at the Illinois Railway Museum as its #1630. I modelled this for a show NILTC did at IRM years ago. I'll have to dig it out and bring it to BW next year so that we can double head them. I'm certain that yours runs better but it would be nice to see them together.

- BMW

Cale - Nice tea kettle. Funny thing but I didn't notice this was one of the Russian decapods at Brickworld this Summer. Another one of these from the same order eventually wound up at the Illinois Railway Museum as its #1630. I modelled this for a show NILTC did at IRM years ago. I'll have to dig it out and bring it to BW next year so that we can double head them. I'm certain that yours runs better but it would be nice to see them together.

- BMW

Thanks Brian. It would be great to see the two side by side (or nose to tail). I'll eventually get to visit the Illinois Railway Museum some day. Maybe they'll have the #1630 running by then.

Cale