Sign in to follow this  
legoindy01

What licensed themes will end next year?

Maybe I'm just too used to PR speak, but this news doesn't really say anything at all.

The game and sets will 'continue' in 2010 - but they don't specify there will be new ones. For all we know they just mean the Summer 2009 lineup will continue to be sold in 2010.

Also, the disclaimer paragraph seems like a future get out clause to me - 'we don't comment on future products, but we are constantly evaluating licences to see which ones are most successful' - with the implication being that the axe could fall at any time. Why put this lengthy disclaimer in if the foundations of the line were rock solid? :wacko:

EDIT: To support my argument, the Lego Ambassador who reported this news actually asked the exact same question - will there be new sets or just the old ones continuing?

Well just to be sure I asked "Just to clarify do you mean new sets will “continue throughout 2010” or will just the old sets be available?" and the answer was "The sets from 2009 will continue through 2010."

For some reason I can't quote his individual post, but you can see the whole discussion here:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?...;Number=3869739

Scroll down to the third-last post.

Indy is dead, people!

I conacted CS for many reasons and they 1 don't comment or 2 say We'd like to suprize you. I see at least one more year. Think what you want to think but it's not changeing my mind. By the way the 3rd post says nothing

relevant.

[uPDATE] Here's the official LEGO statement:

We have had strong results over the last two years with LEGO Indiana Jones play sets based on both the four movies, and we look forward to the 2nd LEGO IJ Video game launching later this year. Both the play sets and the video games will continue throughout 2010.

As you know, we aren

Edited by JCC1004

Indy is dead, people!

Well, not quite since LEGO's still selling sets. :tongue:

But I see what you mean. And I had a feeling that this would happen, with Ben 10 and Disney. It's sad, but all good things come to an end some time.

Oh well, time to order pieces off bricklink for my tank, and Decals from Kaminoan to complete the cast.

*sigh* :cry_sad:

Another poster on the rebel scum forums stated that he talked to a lego store manager about the matter and he said that there will be more sets in 2010 and that the big sett for indy in january 2010 is amazing. again, this could be made up. I think that there will be more sets. I don't think it's over yet.

I conacted CS for many reasons and they 1 don't comment or 2 say We'd like to suprize you. I see at least one more year. Think what you want to think but it's not changeing my mind. By the way the 3rd post sats nothing relevant.

It is just Customer Service, who are the last people I'd contact when it comes to future lines.

-Omi

Indy will end when Star Wars ends. (They're both Lucasarts :hmpf_bad: )

I'm pretty sue they are both under seperate contracts though. :P

-Omi

No, I'm sure they're the same contract.

That would be the most stupidest thing to do, contract two licensesunderthe same contract and have them last the same amount of time.

Cuz what if Indy started to fail miserably? Lego wouldn't be able to just stop the license because they would have to wait until Star Wars ended.

-Omi

That would be the most stupidest thing to do, contract two licensesunderthe same contract and have them last the same amount of time.

Cuz what if Indy started to fail miserably? Lego wouldn't be able to just stop the license because they would have to wait until Star Wars ended.

-Omi

I agree. Just because they are both Lucasfilm doesn't mean they are on the same contract.What if SW sales dwindled and Indy flourished? They'd have to wait. :wacko:

Star Wars started in 1999. Indy started in 2008. They're not under the same contract.

Such thing as a contract renewal. ;)

-Omi

No, I'm sure they're the same contract.

This is corect. Star wars and Indiana Jones are under 1 lucasfilm contract. When the contract ends they both end. But lego doesn't HAVE to make indiana jones sets. It's like a drivers liscense. Just because you have it doesn't mean you HAVE to drive. It just gives you the option to do so. It is you rchoice to drive. The same goes for the lucasfilm liscense.. just because lego has it doesn't mean that they HAVE to continue to make sets.

Star Wars started in 1999. Indy started in 2008. They're not under the same contract.

correct, but star wars was supposed to end in 2008. The contract was renewed to 2011 along with indy. If indy sells poorly then they can try to get a new contract only for star wars when the contract expires. I just hope lucasfilm doesn't pass the torch on to megablox. :tongue:

correct, but star wars was supposed to end in 2008. The contract was renewed to 2011 along with indy. If indy sells poorly then they can try to get a new contract only for star wars when the contract expires. I just hope lucasfilm doesn't pass the torch on to megablox. :tongue:

I had no clue they did that. No doubt Megacraps would let the flame die out. :tongue:

I think the Indy theme will not end this year. After Legoindy posted that statement that really sounded like it came from TLG not like Jedinews. I'm not changing my mind. Why do you seem so certain that it's ending? At least Lego sent out something for Indy unlike what they did for Batman.

Okay, first of all, I was joking. Of course I'm not certain it'll end, how could I be? :hmpf: Of course it's just my opinion, and that's just based on intuition. Besides, I'm not saying it's already dead. I could still imagine another wave, but I have the feeling it'll be over soon. The fact that some guy claims that some other guy who happens to work at a lego store claims that there will be more Indy doesn't mean anything (i.e. doesn't mean TLC officially "sent out something"), but if you wanna put your trust into that, fine.

This is corect. Star wars and Indiana Jones are under 1 lucasfilm contract. When the contract ends they both end. But lego doesn't HAVE to make indiana jones sets.

Contract

con

Edited by Omicron

I don't see why Indy sets cannot be made. If they are uder the same contract Indy will have to end in 2011. If both TLG and Lucasfilm decide to drop the Indy line, it might end, but I doubt both will agree. Thanks Omi. Honestly if Indy goes on to 2012 that would really be pushing it, unless the 5th moive is out. Indy is safe for next year at least. Any farther ahead is unknown.

I don't think that we are going to see any Indy sets for January. There were only two January sets last year, and LEGO seems to be putting more of a focus towards Disney. But I do think that we'll see more sets in June/July. If we will, we'll know by the Toy Fair in Feb.

As for the contract dispute, no one here has actually seen it. For all we know it could have said Star Wars sets through 2011 and Indy sets through 2009 or 2010. Just because they are on the same contract doesn't mean that they have to cover the same time span.

I hope they do release something around January. July is a long wait on top of what I have now. I have every Indy set and they is no Indy sets for me to get som waiting until nexy July instead of January is a very long wait.

Contract

con�‹…tract

�€“noun

1. an agreement between two or more parties for the doing or not doing of something specified.

If the contract states they have to make sets up to 2011 (as you say), Lego can't break that. A contract is nothing like a drivers license.

-Omi

Well, does anyone really know if the licensing contract says Lego HAS to make sets through 2011, or simply that they have the right to.

You said yourself that Lego's Harry Potter license isn't finished yet, but Lego obviously isn't making any sets.

Well, does anyone really know if the licensing contract says Lego HAS to make sets through 2011, or simply that they have the right to.

You said yourself that Lego's Harry Potter license isn't finished yet, but Lego obviously isn't making any sets.

All depends one what the contract states, which is true.

There were only two January sets last year,

Which sets were those?

-Omi

There were only two January sets last year,

Which sets were those?

-Omi

I believe he means January this year with Shanghai Chase and Fight on the Flying Wing :wink:

I believe he means January this year with Shanghai Chase and Fight on the Flying Wing :wink:

Those were moderately sized sets, plus theme still continued in Spring/Summer, did it not?

-Omi

Which sets were those?

-Omi

I'm referring to this year as last year, because we're talking about next year. Looking back on it, it really doesn't make that much sense :wacko: .

I think I've gone crazy worrying about Indy :grin: .