Siegfried

LEGO print ads from 1982

It's crazy to think that back in the day, Lego did have themes and figures, just bricks that were made to be creative with.

It's crazy to think that back in the day, Lego did have themes and figures, just bricks that were made to be creative with.

Yeah, instead of all the prefab parts that don't inspire the same level of creativity.

You're thinking of the 1970s; 1982 had Town, Space, Technic... and Fabuland! :sweet:

Yeah, instead of all the prefab parts that don't inspire the same level of creativity.

I have to disagree with this. It's nice to feel nostalgic, but taking a look at MOC's posted here proves there's no limit on creativity just because there's more specialized pieces.

Not only that, but some of the older lego has all kinds of pre-fab parts that are more single-purpose and less versatile than today. A lot of "odd" parts today have various dimensions specifically chosen, technic or pin attachments as well as studs, and generally a lot of consideration given to the design. There are some rubbish parts too of course, and Lego did in my opinion go through a bad patch in late 90s/early 00s of not a good mix of bricks/plates/large/small special parts in sets. I think a lot of sets now are very well considered.

Nice to see these ads - there is something more simple and innocent about them than today's that have to compete with the hyperactivity mania of today's kid-orientated material.

I liked the TV ads Lego used to have where things would build/unbuild.

You're thinking of the 1970s; 1982 had Town, Space, Technic... and Fabuland! :sweet:

Technically, Fabuland was here in part of the '70s. :wink:

Anyway, I'd have to disagree with avoidz. And in fact, I am always much more "inspired to be creative" with specially designed parts, because sometimes a standard (2x4) brick just won't get the job done. :wink:

Technically, Fabuland was here in part of the '70s. :wink:

So was space, castle and town; that's why I said 70s instead of a specific year period. People consider hippies to be a 60s thing, but surely you don't think that they all decided to change their ways in 1970? Like LEGO having no themes in the 70s it's true for the most part... unless people are being pedantic. :grin:

So was space, castle and town; that's why I said 70s instead of a specific year period. People consider hippies to be a 60s thing, but surely you don't think that they all decided to change their ways in 1970? Like LEGO having no themes in the 70s it's true for the most part... unless people are being pedantic. :grin:

:hmpf: Everyone knows that hippies became exactly like everyone else on December 31st, 1969. :laugh: On-topic, I like these old ads. There simplicity and thrown-together models make them seem a lot more genuine than most we see today.

They really need to produce a sequel to '50 Years of the Lego Brick' since it stops dead just at the time it gets interesting (dawn of the 80s) with this kind of material.

Maybe the forthcoming 'history of the minifig' tome will include some of this nostalgic style content.

Thanks for the links!

I dug up some of my comic magazines from back in the days and scanned the ads. It´s in Swedish of course but the pictures are universal :wub:!

Here´s some teasers before the Brickshelf folder is public:

city_1982_01.jpg City from 1982 - Is there any mail?

12v_1982_01.jpg 12V from 1982 - Engine driver, "train sorter"?, stationmaster, architect etc etc .....

technic_1978_01.jpg Technic from 1978 - Technic as in real life

Enjoy!

CopMike

Thank you for taking the time to post these great scans. They bring back some wonderful memories.

Is there any mail?

:classic: That reminds me when I was a kid, I only had one envelope tile, but an entire post office built to handle that one letter.

Those scans are great. I especially like the classic Expert Builder (Technic) models. I need to get some of those early 80s catalogs.

I dug up some of my comic magazines from back in the days and scanned the ads. It´s in Swedish of course but the pictures are universal :wub:!

Here´s some teasers before the Brickshelf folder is public:

Indeed they are! Thanks CopMike! :wub:

:classic: That reminds me when I was a kid, I only had one envelope tile, but an entire post office built to handle that one letter.

:laugh: I often did the same with LEGO containers; ships and trucks just for one box!

Nostalgiaaaaaaaa... these ads represent exactly what LEGO should be about: creativity and imagination. Takes me back to coming home from the toy store with the new LEGO catalog, browsing through it for hours, being inspired by new sets released and scenes depicted in the catalog, checking what sets I'd like to have mainly based which contained cool new minifigs or parts (for example, I remember wanting this set just for the suspension), ...

Ah, when advertising wasn't all about flash-bang and action. I am trying to think back to any I had in boxes/catalogues but I fear that they too were flash-bang action posters...

These adverts are six years older than me :tongue: I wish adverts could go back to emphasising the creativity and learning, instead of all the battle/fight/Save the Day action adverts you get today on TV. I know kids and parents who think that you build them, use them like a play set and then display them. If they get broken they are "ruined" and have to be carefully rebuilt...

City from 1982 - Is there any mail?

I absolutely :wub: that one, it's classic no-conflict peaceful LEGOLAND at it's finest.

Thanks for sharing it! :sweet:

Awesome stuff. Are those from the standard catalogs included with sets? I have many catalogs after 1987 from various countries, but most of those dioramas are new to me. I like the one where the Blacktrons fell into a ditch. :grin:

This one is weird. I can't tell whether they're shaking hands or punching each other. :laugh: One funny thing about Blacktron is that they weren't necessarily portrayed as bad guys at first, but only became bad in 1989 when the Space Police came out.

Are those from the standard catalogs included with sets?
Their from the back of comic magazines, mostly Donald Duck ones I think.
This one is weird. I can't tell whether they're shaking hands or punching each other. :laugh: One funny thing about Blacktron is that they weren't necessarily portrayed as bad guys at first, but only became bad in 1989 when the Space Police came out.
The text says - "The challange! In the LEGOLAND Space heroes meet eye to eye ...", scary stuff :grin:!

I found odd that in this ad the Uranium search vehicle comes with a red windscreen (box at the bottom of the page) instead of a yellow one.

And, as for this one: did Classic space and Blacktron co-exist?

An Italian site, nijirain, has a lot of stuff from the 80's including printed ads. Here' some Lego.

cart-legocastellogiallo2.jpg <- click for larger image.

It reads: Here are the brave warriors who defend the Legoland castle. Lego: a new play, every day.

Castle ad <- click Treasure hunt The Black Knight stole the treasure from the Lion Knight "Here he is, riding to the White Princess' Castle" "There's no way I can get in" The Lion Knight has a bright idea "Help! Let me in!" "Please, Lady, follow me. I will lead you to the Black Knight" "You scoundrel, I framed you! Get your hands off the trasure! Surrender now!" There starts a fierce fight Will the Lion knight succeed in defeating the Black Knight? - We are coming to the new castle. Brand new: the Princes' castle and 4 more new sets

Space ad <- click S.O.S. from Space Station Alpha The Space Station is out of control "Mayday! Alpha 1 speaking! (beep) The stabilizer borke off" "Mayday! We'ra about to crash into the ground! Mayday!" "Commander Black, it's Alpha 1: they say the stabilizer broke off" "Control (tower?) speaking: get ready for an emergency takeoff" "Commander, everything is ready" "(beep) 15 minutes to impact" "Activate emergency device. Contact 10" "Woo-hoo! Horray! Alpha 1 speaking: Station is now stable". The Space Station is safe. But who did tamper with the stabilizer? Legoland Space: to live adventures in space

Firefighters AD <- click There's turmoil in Legoland town - Accidents keep happening. Someone's plotting, hidden in the shadows. "The gas station's on fire... ha-ha..." "Firefighters speaking" "Heads up! Heads up! Let's get ready to go! There's a fire at the gas station!" "With the lights and sound of Light & sound, you go faster!" "Hey, watch out!" "Move along!" "Cuuuut! Now, who was that crazy driver?" Legoland town is in turmoil for a film shooting! After a dengerous scene, famed Director Sergio Legone notices a great firefighter-driver. But what does it want from him? Ready for action. The new fire station and 18 more new sets in Legoland town

Clearly a high-five. Even when space police came out they weren't the bad guys, they just used to break some speed limits every once in a while...

This comic is by far the best, though: the crossdressing knight and who gets the treasure in the end. :laugh:

LOL! Never seen this before.

Clearly a high-five. Even when space police came out they weren't the bad guys, they just used to break some speed limits every once in a while...

Not really. In the North American catalogs, they apparently became terrorists when the Space Police showed up, as can be seen here and here. :grin:

I found odd that in this ad the Uranium search vehicle comes with a red windscreen (box at the bottom of the page) instead of a yellow one.

And, as for this one: did Classic space and Blacktron co-exist?

Good catch. It might have been a preliminary image. The initial Blacktron line came out in 1987 in some parts of Europe, so they did coexist for a year there.

Thanks for the translations. :thumbup:

Edited by CP5670

Not really. In the North American catalogs, they apparently became terrorists when the Space Police showed up, as can be seen here and here. :grin:

That's just a little mischief in the first pic. :wink: I really feel sorry though for the yellow spaceman in the second one: what the megabloks are they doing to the poor guy? :oh3: