Peppermint_M

Post about Cartoons and Anime you like

I've watched cartoons since I was a kid in the 80s. I've watched anime since I found a few examples here and there on TV in the 90s. I mostly watch anime and what seems to be labeled as "adult" cartoons these days.

Cartoons that I watch (or that I used to watch and would do so again)

Family Guy-I agree that it has no central plot. It is hit and miss with me and the older episodes were better, but when it is funny it is really funny.

Simpsons-Similar to Family Guy, but less willing to push the limits of taste. Also, the older episdoes were better. The movie was great though.

Aqua Teens-Not to be taken seriously at all. I usually just have it on as background noise but it has it's moments and most of those are due to the mooninites. I lump Squidbillies and Metalocalypse in with this as well since I mostly just have them on in the background as well and they are mindless entertainment.

Venture Bros-I love this show. The plot is basically Johnny Quest, GIJoe, and James Bond with a dose of a assorted comic books. Definately on the adult end of the spectrum. I hope there will be more seasons.

Sealab-Also a great show.

Batman:TAS-In my opinion, this is still the best adaptation of Batman to date. This had action, scifi, and horror depending on the episode. Also, Mark Hammil is the voice of the Joker as far as I am concerned.

Batman Beyond-It has a slow build, but I liked the show overall. The episode featuring Mr. Freeze was my favorite. The movie, Return of the Joker (uncut version) was also quite good.

Gargoyles-One of the only Disney cartoons I really liked that I could still watch today. Several member of the Star Trek the Next Generation cast were voice actors on this show along with Keith David. The plot was okay at the start but as it progressed and it's mythology was expanded it just kept getting better. The episodes with Oberon tied up nearly all loose ends in the show. David Xanatos was a great villain who seemingly couldn't lose. He even has a trope on TVTropes named after him: Xanatos Gambit

Anime that I have watched or currently watch:

Death Note-I only recently watched this show. I thought it was pretty good, despite L's detective work occasionally amounting to magic. This show makes the simple act of writing in a note book look dramatic.

Cowboy Bebop-This show is good through and through. Most of it is light hearted action, but the real meat of the show is the few serious episodes dealing with Spike's past (and one dealing with Jet's past). The finale was great.

Gundam, assorted-I mainly stick with the UC stories, but I did watch Gundam Wing as well. The UC storyline is pretty good. The original series tries to highlight to horrors of war and show that most of the people fighting are just young people fighting and dying for their country while the higher ups play their political games. The follow ons painted the Zeon's as mostly evil, then they painted the other side as evil. All of the shows feature a high body count and it includes main characters. The real "twisting the knife" moment is the end of War in the Pocket. The whole story spans several series and at least one movie that covers several years. The villain/antihero/etc Char Aznable is one of the first examples in Japanese works of the villain/antihero having blonde hair and wearing a red outfit. The trend eventually lead to Ken Masters (Street Fighter) and Zero (Mega Man X) among others. Aside from all that, the show also has lots and lots of giant robot fighting action.

There are others I am probably forgetting, but those are the main ones I follow or try to buy on DVD.

I've watched cartoons since I was a kid in the 80s. I've watched anime since I found a few examples here and there on TV in the 90s. I mostly watch anime and what seems to be labeled as "adult" cartoons these days.

Cartoons that I watch (or that I used to watch and would do so again)

Family Guy-I agree that it has no central plot. It is hit and miss with me and the older episodes were better, but when it is funny it is really funny.

Simpsons-Similar to Family Guy, but less willing to push the limits of taste. Also, the older episdoes were better. The movie was great though.

Aqua Teens-Not to be taken seriously at all. I usually just have it on as background noise but it has it's moments and most of those are due to the mooninites. I lump Squidbillies and Metalocalypse in with this as well since I mostly just have them on in the background as well and they are mindless entertainment.

Venture Bros-I love this show. The plot is basically Johnny Quest, GIJoe, and James Bond with a dose of a assorted comic books. Definately on the adult end of the spectrum. I hope there will be more seasons.

Sealab-Also a great show.

Batman:TAS-In my opinion, this is still the best adaptation of Batman to date. This had action, scifi, and horror depending on the episode. Also, Mark Hammil is the voice of the Joker as far as I am concerned.

Batman Beyond-It has a slow build, but I liked the show overall. The episode featuring Mr. Freeze was my favorite. The movie, Return of the Joker (uncut version) was also quite good.

Gargoyles-One of the only Disney cartoons I really liked that I could still watch today. Several member of the Star Trek the Next Generation cast were voice actors on this show along with Keith David. The plot was okay at the start but as it progressed and it's mythology was expanded it just kept getting better. The episodes with Oberon tied up nearly all loose ends in the show. David Xanatos was a great villain who seemingly couldn't lose. He even has a trope on TVTropes named after him: Xanatos Gambit

Anime that I have watched or currently watch:

Death Note-I only recently watched this show. I thought it was pretty good, despite L's detective work occasionally amounting to magic. This show makes the simple act of writing in a note book look dramatic.

Cowboy Bebop-This show is good through and through. Most of it is light hearted action, but the real meat of the show is the few serious episodes dealing with Spike's past (and one dealing with Jet's past). The finale was great.

Gundam, assorted-I mainly stick with the UC stories, but I did watch Gundam Wing as well. The UC storyline is pretty good. The original series tries to highlight to horrors of war and show that most of the people fighting are just young people fighting and dying for their country while the higher ups play their political games. The follow ons painted the Zeon's as mostly evil, then they painted the other side as evil. All of the shows feature a high body count and it includes main characters. The real "twisting the knife" moment is the end of War in the Pocket. The whole story spans several series and at least one movie that covers several years. The villain/antihero/etc Char Aznable is one of the first examples in Japanese works of the villain/antihero having blonde hair and wearing a red outfit. The trend eventually lead to Ken Masters (Street Fighter) and Zero (Mega Man X) among others. Aside from all that, the show also has lots and lots of giant robot fighting action.

There are others I am probably forgetting, but those are the main ones I follow or try to buy on DVD.

You should watch Gundam 00. It is up there in quality with the UC stories, and follows a similar theme to Wing. Have you seen the 1:1 scale Gundam outside Tokyo? Worth checking out if you're ever in the Tokyo area

Good to see another fan of this show around here. :classic: The animation is some of the best you can find on TV these days, and the humor is subtle, yet great. :thumbup: But what I like most about it is the way it is directed toward comic/cartoon geeks and makes fun of such at the same time. :laugh:

Season 4 starts in November! :sweet:

GO TEAM VENTURE!! :grin:

I agree 100%! B:TAS is my definition of Batman, and Hamill does a perfect job at voicing the Joker! :sweet: I always get goosebumps when I hear him do the Joker Laugh! :cry_happy: I am really glad that he (still) provides his voice for many Batman projects. :thumbup:

I also liked this show a lot. In fact, I enjoyed it almost more than BTAS due to the faster pace, heavier action, and futuristic setting. The writing in this show was excellent! And the Joker movie is one of my favorite movies of all time, mostly due to Hamill's brilliant performance. :grin:

Good to see another fan of this show around here. :classic: The animation is some of the best you can find on TV these days, and the humor is subtle, yet great. :thumbup: But what I like most about it is the way it is directed toward comic/cartoon geeks and makes fun of such at the same time. :laugh:

Season 4 starts in November! :sweet:

GO TEAM VENTURE!! :grin:

I am glad to hear the show will continue. I own the current 3 seasons on DVD. I like how there is a plot as the series advances and backstory, yet the episodes themselves (with a few exceptions like the last few of season 3) are seemingly random. The bits with the Guild and the OSI are great. The very idea that the typical dueling shadowy organisations not only exist, but also have agreed upon rules of conduct and even assign arch villains is ridiculous and great at the same time. Overall I look at it similar to how I view Shaun of the Dead. Both are parodies and at the same time are also fairly decent entries into the categories they are making fun of.

As a side note, I know that Orpheus (sp?) is supposed to be Dr Strange and the blackula hunter (I can't believe I can't remember his name) is supposed to be Blade, but is the Alchemist supposed to be someone in particular? The bits with these guys as the Order of the Triad are great along with Dr Venture's constant doubting of Orpheus's powers despite ample evidence they exist.

Gunslinger girls is a good anime at least I think so.

We'd never have guessed... :tongue:

I have really got to start getting it together on my custom minifigs of characters, some will be so simple to make, all I need are the right parts...

Cartoons-

Family Guy is unoriginal and stupid IMO for the most part, but is good when bored.

Robot chicken's the same as above, although more creative.

The Simpsons used to be good, but I think some of the newer episodes are boring.

South Park is very funny. I love their style of comedy.

Avatar: The Last Airbender was unique and enjoyable.

BTAS is also nice. Brave and bold is not so much.

Anime-

Death Note was good.

Full Metal Alchemist was okay.

Hayao Miyazaki's stuff is great.

That's pretty much it...

:classic:

Just remembered two others;

Daria, loved the humour. Being a really pessimistic, cynical and sarcastic person in real life (No, I'm serious) I could relate a lot to the situations and found it very enjoyable.

Thunderbirds, fantastic old show. Played with the toys when I was a kid. Parker was and always will be my favourite character.

To the Brickmobile! :devil:

Oh my, I forgot all about Supermarionation!

Captain Scarlet, Stingray, Theunderbirds! I loves those series so much! The new Captain Scarlet was fantastic and I love to watch the old Thunderbirds (there was never any films, apart from a great 3D digital rendering of Thuderbird 2).

I also need to add claymation to the list, Creature Comforts and Wallace and Gromit are great.

There is also a stack of the nostalgia toons, The Hurricanes, the 90s Speed Racer, The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest, Toxic Crusaders, Captain Bucky O'Hare. They don't make 'em like they used to.

I grew up watching G-force (Battle of the Planets), bionic six, M.A.S.K. , Pole Position, Mighty Orbots, Transformers (first season; I didn't care for the direction the show took after), Batman:TAS (just excellent in all respects; laid the groundwork for a number of equally excellent WB properties like Superman and Justice League, which I place on par with Batman:TAS as the two all-time best American animated tv shows of all time in terms of characters, story, and animation, in that order).

All grown up, I mostly focus on anime. However, in the recent past, Beast wars/machines were excellent, along with the interesting Reboot show. Great visuals in the latter.

Few cartoons since have peaked my interest. I do watch the occasional Family Guy since it irreverantly lampoons pop culture, much of it 80's related. It makes me laugh.

Anime choices are: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Macross and its sundry offshoots, Ghost in the Shell movie and Stand Alone series, Full Metal Panic, Code Geass, Full Metal Alchemist, Gunslinger Girl (great little understated series..no frivolity in this one, which is cool), Gilgamesh, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Ergo Proxy, Deathnote, Raxephon, and Last Exile. I'm sure there are a few I've left out, but these represent a nice smattering of anime I like. Generally, I favor anime over American animation, as the writing is generally richer and more mature, even for shows aimed at teenagers, than many American adult live action tv shows.

Edited by M'Kyuun

My personal favourites:

Invader Zim should never have been cancelled,

Venture Bros. is just brilliant,

Robot Chicken is usually funny,

The classic Ren and Stimpy is still hilarious,

Avatar: The last airbender was pretty good,

Any of Miyazaki's stuff is an automatic fave,

The Simpsons is still good,

Futurama is the best- so glad it's finally coming back,

and Family Guy is good at times, but can be a little too retarded sometimes.

So, who else here likes Ben 10? As I mentioned a while ago, I really liked the first show. It was innovative, funny, well animated, and had great action. The movie that concluded that series, "Secret of the Omnitrix", was really good and almost movie theater worthy IMO. The new show, Ben 10 Alien Force is kinda boring to me though. There's too much talking, not enough action, and the humor isn't as good, plus there are some things that just don't make sense. And when there finally is action, it's not as badass as that of the original show IMO. However, the Season 2 finale was pretty good, and the Season 3 premiere this Friday looks promising. Vilgax was a good villain, and his return will mean a great improvement for this show. The upcoming follow-up series, Ben 10 Evolutions sounds good as well.

The live action movies are total crap, but Cartoon Network should have never started airing live action stuff in the first place. :sadnew:

The Lego sets don't sound too promising, being like Bionicles rather than System sets, but I'm still curious and staying open minded.

What about you?

Not a huge fan of Ben 10, my little brother likes it a lot though. Never really clicked with me (maybe because I was grumpy about the loss of anime and decent superhero series from CN) not seen much of the new one either, I think my brother prefers the first 'toon also.

So, who else here likes Ben 10? As I mentioned a while ago, I really liked the first show. It was innovative, funny, well animated, and had great action. The movie that concluded that series, "Secret of the Omnitrix", was really good and almost movie theater worthy IMO. The new show, Ben 10 Alien Force is kinda boring to me though. There's too much talking, not enough action, and the humor isn't as good, plus there are some things that just don't make sense. And when there finally is action, it's not as badass as that of the original show IMO. However, the Season 2 finale was pretty good, and the Season 3 premiere this Friday looks promising. Vilgax was a good villain, and his return will mean a great improvement for this show. The upcoming follow-up series, Ben 10 Evolutions sounds good as well.

The live action movies are total crap, but Cartoon Network should have never started airing live action stuff in the first place. :sadnew:

The Lego sets don't sound too promising, being like Bionicles rather than System sets, but I'm still curious and staying open minded.

What about you?

I agree with you on CN live action. I've only seen a very small portion of it and it looks horribly done.

Gargoyles S1&2

Gummibears

Samurai Jack

Dexter's Lab

Phineas & Ferb

Thundar the Barbarian

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

Dragonball & DBZ but not DBGT

Smurfs

Arthur and the knights of justice

The title says post about Cartoons you like, not list 'em. :hmpf:

Well, I did say you could just list them, I just assumed something else would be added to explain a little...

ho hum.

The title says post about Cartoons you like, not list 'em. :hmpf:

Are you really going to be that technical? Do you really care what I have to say about what cartoons I like and would you read every word I wrote about the numerous cartoons I listed many of which are duplicates to what other people wrote? By replying to this thread have I not "posted" what cartoons I like? Further is the quality of this thread improved by your eye-rolling trolling? Wouldn't your time be better spent commenting on the cartoons and starting a possible conversation about them among myself and the other members here? I noticed you already added your thoughts on some cartoons but as the title implies post about cartoons you like, not make snarky comments about how other people did post something relevant and applicable to the topic at hand. Can you not follow your own advice? Are you trying to exercise guilt tactics in a pathetic gesture of controlling the boards, are you trying to regulate what an adult poster who has been on EB for years has to post or comment, or are you venting frustration at how you in fact have no moderator powers or say about how the site is run and who is allowed to post here?

Or perhaps you were not thinking at all when you posted such an asinine response to what is clearly a list of cartoons I like to a thread about cartoons in which I "posted" my favorites.

Sorry if you are offended, not sorry about anything I wrote.

Well, I did say you could just list them, I just assumed something else would be added to explain a little...

ho hum.

Rather than explain why I like them I thought I would just put out the cartoons I enjoy most, many of which are repeats. In a way it works a lot like a tally so those who have the free time and interest might make comments like, "Oh wow, there are tons of people commenting about Avatar. That must be a cartoon I should check out." Which might lead to further discussion or additional lists.

In case you do possibly care, I enjoy cell shaded, hand drawn cartoons featuring, comedy, action, fantasy, or drama. I dislike the traditional Japanese anime and prefer the Disney art and movie which inspired the style. No one element or cartoon is superior to me, they each have a place and purpose and like all art should on some level inspire, these cartoons have inspired me in some shape or form. Some are even poorly done but the nostalgia of watching them when I was younger and the enjoyment it gave me secures a place on my list.

One I forgot to add is GIJoe.

Where should i begin? I love so many.

Movies:

Toy Story

Incredibles

All the animated batman movies

Series:

Batman TAS!

The batman

batman beyond

Spongebob

The simpsons

90's marvel: Spider-man, X-men, etc

Can't think off more now, but there is much more! I think iw ill update this list very shortly.

I really like shows like The Pink Panther and The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends. As well as the various other cartoons associated with those two, like The Inspector, Dudley Do-Right of the Mounties, and Peabody's Improbable History. :grin: I love the combination of bizzarity and subtle humor in the Rocky and Bullwinkle series, it makes it very interesting to watch. :thumbup:

When i was a kid i loved He-Man and the MOTU and Thundercats, though when i rewatched them recently, i don't think they've aged well. I did enjoy the 2002 He-Man series though

From the 90's i loved Batman TAS, the first 2 seasons of Gargoyles and X-Men and still watch them on reruns

I've always felt the 1st and 3rd generations of Robotech are excellent, and the 2nd is barely watchable, except the last few episodes

Gummi Bears was good fun, and i really enjoy the old Warner Brothers cartoons (from maybe the 60's?) which can be pretty violent by today's standards

More recently, I thought Avatar: The Last Airbender was a really good series

Currently, the only cartoon I watch is the Clone Wars, which I only got into because of the legos, and now find to be pretty good

Are you really going to be that technical? Do you really care what I have to say about what cartoons I like and would you read every word I wrote about the numerous cartoons I listed many of which are duplicates to what other people wrote? By replying to this thread have I not "posted" what cartoons I like? Further is the quality of this thread improved by your eye-rolling trolling? Wouldn't your time be better spent commenting on the cartoons and starting a possible conversation about them among myself and the other members here? I noticed you already added your thoughts on some cartoons but as the title implies post about cartoons you like, not make snarky comments about how other people did post something relevant and applicable to the topic at hand. Can you not follow your own advice? Are you trying to exercise guilt tactics in a pathetic gesture of controlling the boards, are you trying to regulate what an adult poster who has been on EB for years has to post or comment, or are you venting frustration at how you in fact have no moderator powers or say about how the site is run and who is allowed to post here?

Or perhaps you were not thinking at all when you posted such an asinine response to what is clearly a list of cartoons I like to a thread about cartoons in which I "posted" my favorites.

Woah! Calm down! I'm sorry I was "snarky" but I found your post rather useless, and I was kind of in a hurry when I wrote it, which is why it came out so rude. :blush: But come on, did you even think about the fact that you're actually the one not contributing anything to this topic when you started this rant? :sceptic: To answer your questions:

1. Yes, I am that technical. That's why they call me Mr. Discuss It All. :grin:
  2. In fact, yes, I would have loved to know what your thoughts on the shows you listed are, and I'm sure Peppermint M and a few others do as well. Even if some of those thoughts are the same as those of another person, it would have been at least nice to see how many people share those opinions about those shows. But if you don't care to share, fine. That's all you had to say. :sadnew:
  3. Yes, you have posted your fave cartoons, but not posted ABOUT them.
  4. Well, I was hoping to make you see how pointless your post was and perhaps get you to add to it, but I guess it just made you rant on and on. :sceptic:
  5. That's the point: there was nothing for me to comment on. The only thing I could have said is "Oh, I like that show too" or "Meh, I don't like that one", but I already talked about the shows I like, and it would have been too negative for me to talk about the ones I don't. :sceptic:
  6. No, I do not wish to be a moderator, nor regulate anyone. :hmpf_bad: I was simply trying to get you to elaborate your post, but simply expressed myself wrong, and I apologize for that. But replying with a big rant doesn't make you any better than me, if I may say so. :sadnew:
  7. I don't care how "adult" you are; that post didn't add much that was "relevant and applicable to the topic at hand". It didn't tell us anything but the mere fact that you like those shows. It didn't even tell us which you prefer. There fore, it would have been nice if you would have elaborated a little bit. That's all I was trying to say.

Again, I am sorry for having been so rude, but please follow your own advice and keep this topic free of off-topic rants. I'm not trying to mini-mod here, just asking you for a favor. If you do wish to continue this discussion, let's do it via PM.

In case you do possibly care, I enjoy cell shaded, hand drawn cartoons featuring, comedy, action, fantasy, or drama. I dislike the traditional Japanese anime and prefer the Disney art and movie which inspired the style. No one element or cartoon is superior to me, they each have a place and purpose and like all art should on some level inspire, these cartoons have inspired me in some shape or form. Some are even poorly done but the nostalgia of watching them when I was younger and the enjoyment it gave me secures a place on my list.

Now that's much better. :classic: That's something we can discuss, comment on, or agree/disagree with. I think very much like you, which is why I am a big Disney fan. I agree that most cartoons can't be compared with each other, and I often get inspired by the cartoons I like, whether it's for MOCs or my own animation work. And I think we all have some cartoons that are "bad" by today's standards, but which we still cherish as good childhood memories.

See? That's much better, isn't it? So, let's forget our past differences and keep posting in such a constructive manner. :classic:

Wow.

Ok.

I think its a good thing I skipped to the latest page by the looks of that...

I love the nostalgia of old cartoons. Heh, sometimes I can't bring myself to watch them because it shatters my memories. The 90s Speed Racer series and The Hurricanes (a football team cartoon) did not age well and thus destroyed the sharp and clear awesome I saw at around age seven as I tried to replicate the characters and cars in Lego...

Everything inspires my building, and both anime and cartoons still give me ideas and awesome things to build

Cool choices Shamrock, I agree about the second series of Robotech (worst spent £20 ever) I got it on DVD and watched it once for completeness, my friend didn't get past the third episode. I adore The Macross Saga and New Generation was cool too (how hard is it to make a minifig scale Cyclone!) the new film was decent, I just wish they'd make another. Also, the X-Men cartoon? Gambit is hot (not an opinion I expect anyone here to share, but there we go) :tongue: .

Also The Cat Piano a stylish noir short animation. If anyone has about 10 minutes to spare and likes noir, jazz, scat and poet like delivery of narration, take a look. :thumbup:

Finished the anime Monster, which is quite lengthy at 74 episodes but easily one of the best shows I've ever seen, live action or animated.

It concerns one Dr Tenma of Germany who saves a young boy's life who's parents had been shot to death and twin sister catatonic. After being demoted because he chose to save the boy over the Mayor who came in later, three of his superiors mysteriously die from poisoned candy. Nine years later as the new head of surgery, Dr Tenma witnesses a new murder near the hospital, only to see that the killer was the boy who's life he saved all those years ago; the titular monster. What follows for him is a chase to stop or kill this serial killer and a realisation of what that one kind surgery led to the most catastrophic of consequences.

Batbrick Away! :devil: