Sign in to follow this  
Captain Blackmoor

Horrible news!

The Dutch replica VOC ship Prins Willem in Den Helder is destroyed! It is totally burned, except the steel skeleton. :pir_bawling:

This news is even more horrible for the good Captain Blue Hair, he is very busy making a minifig scale model of the ship here.

3_c70e877ca19c5ac778b14b8909d9db85a06f3079.jpg

The once so mighty broadside.

3_a339e010cf66170d0f833535d0750055e4408d0c.jpg

The leftovers of the very nicely decorated stern.

3_f4f15d99fa6351922fbc92f3cbde97160300d9b2.jpg

The headrails hidden in smoke.

3_81d08be2ab90004bc64cf1e397de8f98b27316e2.jpg

The steel skeleton is the only thing left...

YouTube Video

Oh no! What a tragedy! How could a big ship like that in the middle of a big square catch fire without someone noticing? I'm sorry to hear this...

Edited by Admiral M

That's horrible. Lucky no one is harmed. It happend around midnight, probably an electric breakdown in the little kitchen were some machinery stood. Let's hope they make a new one.

I just read it in the paper, i think my hart skipped and mist a beat...or two.

Very sad news this is, truly heartbreaking. :pir_bawling:

The past few years a lot of ''old'' ships have suffered from fires, first the Cutty Sark, next the Buildings and sails of the Batavia and now this.... It is almost suspecious. :pir-sceptic:

Oh no. This is terrible news. There aren't that many tall ships left - even replicas. It's a real shame when something like this happens. I'm really sorry to see this ship go, maybe it will motivate Captain Blue Hair to build his ship not only in love, but in memory - of two ships. =(

The past few years a lot of ''old'' ships have suffered from fires, first the Cutty Sark, next the Buildings and sails of the Batavia and now this.... It is almost suspecious. :pir-sceptic:

You think it could be arson?

You think it could be arson?

I sincerely hope not. If it is, I'd like a piece of whoever is responsible. However, big pieces of wood are flamable.

I have posted this tragic loss on the Classic-Pirates.com frontpage.

Oh no! What a tragedy! How could a big ship like that in the middle of a big square catch fire without someone noticing? I'm sorry to hear this...

According to media the fire was spotted relatively quickly and the fire brigade was fast to respond, but I guess would just tends to burn really fast.

There is no indication of arson so far.

I was planning to visit this ship this year! :pir-hmpf:

They aren't sure yet if they are going to build it again due financial problems with the insurance. It also costs a lot of time.

Lucky enough the "Zeven Provinciën" is still unharmed, but was close when the Batavia sails and buildings were destroyed like Captain Blue Hair said. And the "Delft" is under construction too. Now hope there won't be more disasters like this in the future.

The USS Constitution had a small kitchen fire, it was extinguished quickly so there wasn't serious damage.

That could end badly too.

The fire brigade of Den Helder was there quickly, but they couldn't do much since the fire was still inside the ship, it was too dangerous to enter. Some men had to run for their lifes to avoid falling masts. They decided starting to extinguish when the flames became visible. But it was too late already, the decks collapsed and only the steel carcass was left.

Edited by Cap'n Blackmoor

I was planning to visit this ship this year! :pir-hmpf:

They aren't sure yet if they are going to build it again due financial problems with the insurance. It also costs a lot of time.

Lucky enough the "Zeven Provinciën" is still unharmed, but was close when the Batavia sails and buildings were destroyed like Captain Blue Hair said. And the "Delft" is under construction too. Now hope there won't be more disasters like this in the future.

The USS Constitution had a small kitchen fire, it was extinguished quickly so there wasn't serious damage.

That could end badly too.

The fire brigade of Den Helder was there quickly, but they couldn't do much since the fire was still inside the ship, it was too dangerous to enter. Some men had to run for their lifes to avoid falling masts. They decided starting to extinguish when the flames became visible. But it was too late already, the decks collapsed and only the steel carcass was left.

I would hate to see the HMS Victory be destroyed! Thats the only Trafalgar ship still in service!

This makes old greenhairs ship even more meaningful. Mabye once its complete they can put it on display in a Dutch Lego Headquarters or something to commemerate the ship? Just a Idea.

CGH, maybe you can build the ship scale 1:1, to replace the replica?

I saw it at the news this morning. Very sad to see it on fire, and the masts falling. When I heard it was the Prins Willem, I tought about CGH.

But when was the Batavia fire? I've visited it some months ago.

:pir_laugh2:

But when was the Batavia fire? I've visited it some months ago.

Lucky enough the ship self wasn't damaged, the sails were stored in a warehouse, along with a lot of wooden sculptures of the Zeven Provinciën, the building went down to ash.

I don't even want to think what would happen when the Batavia cought fire, that ship has no steel skeleton so it would burn to the keel and sink.

I have posted this tragic loss on the Classic-Pirates.com frontpage.

And now for a minute of silence...

that's sad , but it allowed a photograph to makes some beautiful shot of it burning! but that's very sad, another big ship dead :/ RIP

Tragic News

This reminds me when the Cutty Sark went up in flames in London and that was caused by a heater being left on over night. It is a possibility this could have happened in the same way

Good God, this is terrible news indeed.

But when Captain Green Hair's version is ready, we will remember her all...

But when Captain Green Hair's version is ready, we will remember her all...

It shall be a monument in memory of the replica...

What, that's horrible news!

I didn't know it long enough aswell... :pir-cry_sad:

I think I'll hear it from the news also today, as I live in the Netherlands.

Can't they rebuild it? Normally if it was that big of a attraction they would. It's kind of a huge coincidence that when Captain Green Hair started on his ship the replica went up in flames a few days later. I bet he did it so people would admire his ship more! But really, they should rebuild it.

This makes old greenhairs ship even more meaningful. Mabye once its complete they can put it on display in a Dutch Lego Headquarters or something to commemerate the ship? Just a Idea.

I might be able to put her up for display in the Amsterdam naval museum, which is filled with VOC items and shipmodels.

Though it looks really cool in my living room too...

Sure, just give me the bricks. :pir_laugh2:

:pir_laugh2:

Lucky enough the ship self wasn't damaged, the sails were stored in a warehouse, along with a lot of wooden sculptures of the Zeven Provinciën, the building went down to ash.

I don't even want to think what would happen when the Batavia cought fire, that ship has no steel skeleton so it would burn to the keel and sink.

The model made of the Batavia as study before she was build and a really nice diorama was lost in that fire too.

Luckily it was a few months after me and Errorist visited, so we still have pictures of it.

I'm glad no one was on board when this happened.

I understand you. But, the fire started small. If there was someone on board, he may have put out the fire. I don't know if the ship had fire extinguishers, I know at least the Batavia replica has.

About rebuilding it: it's very expensive to build a replica. It's unknown yet if the ship will be re-rebuilt.

@CGH: I have some brown bricks of the Sopwith Camel, is that enough? You can have them for free. :pir-laugh:

Edited by Richie