ILikePi

Product Recall of 8879 PF IR Speed Remote Control

traintech1.jpg

I was browsing the LEGO frontpage early today, and I saw that there is a product recall for the 8879 Power Functions IR Speed Remote Control for people in the U.S. and Canada. Apparently it "poses a thermal burn hazard to users if the batteries inside overheat."

I just thought that everyone who owns one should know. :classic:

Here is the link to the page:

http://service.lego.com/en-US/productrecal...ntrol%20US.aspx

EDIT: A picture of the remote control:

pic8476C5B2-04A3-4F23-AF8A-1E4ACF43C0F8.jpg

Edited by TheBrickster

Thanks for the news, although it doesn`t affect me I`m sure others will find it useful. Can't europeans get burnt now?

According to a post at 1000steine.de Lego customer service seems to recall worldwide.

(at least this counts for Germany as well).

If only I had the Remote Control (waiting since march). :cry_sad:

But the new edition will be shipped in august.

Yippieh! :sweet:

Ahhh! That explains why it came and went so often. It looks like TLG rushed this a bit too much... and I'm very glad now that I didn't rush and buy that battery.

Replacement on! :sweet:

I just saw this on Technic Bricks, if anyone is missing the news here's the link:

There was already a topic on this so I've merged them. I hope you don't mind. Since this is an important issue (and one of TLGs rare recalls) I have frontpaged it as well.

There was already a topic on this so I've merged them. I hope you don't mind. Since this is an important issue (and one of TLGs rare recalls) I have frontpaged it as well.

No problem at all :)

What does it mean for us who want it?

Is it going to be available to purchase in august? I cant find it anywhere for months!

Is it going to be available to purchase in august? I cant find it anywhere for months!

You'll receive a free replacement for the part. BTW 8879 will be available at SAH in august, that's what they say in their web site.

It'll come in some form. TLG have just removed it from the site to prevent a backlog. They have to provide a new remote in some form, but it could end up being very different to the current one.. and it may not be ready by August. Time will tell.

Good Job TLG. IIRC, this is only the third recall in LEGO history. That's pretty impressive. With no injuries, and only a few reports of heating up, it sounds like LEGO is probably recalling an item that isn't terribly dangerous, and that speaks well of them.

For those that have them, if they aren't heating up, I'd actually rather wait until the new device is presented before sending mine in for replacement. Otherwise you may be stuck with a train that can't be run.

Wow! Lego hasn't had a recall in like... ever! The last one I remember was the Duplo truck, which had a tendency to break of from the wheels while kids were riding n it.

And I wanted this thing too! Oh well, I'll stick with NXT just in case any other PF pieces overheat and burn me. :tongue:

How do I verify that I have this product in my home?

LEGO Systems has found that
some
of the remote control units are not performing

correctly. If your remote control unit is one of those affected, it becomes hot to the

touch in the first 5 to 10 minutes of initial operation.
If you did not experience this

situation when you first loaded batteries into the remote control unit, your unit is

not part of this recall
. If your remote control did or does overheat, then please

contact LEGO Systems for a replacement remote control.

Should I send you the remote control?

The remote control unit needs to be returned
only if you experience overheating of

the batteries upon initial use of the remote control unit
. Please follow the

instructions above.

http://cache.lego.com/bigdownloads/Consume...Q_IR8879_US.pdf

I live in Canada, so thanks for this news! My RC doesn't heat, so I'll keep it.

I suspect a short-circuit somewhere due to the manufacturer, this RC seems to be nothing else than a standard RC with a Lego-stud body!

I live in Canada, so thanks for this news! My RC doesn't heat, so I'll keep it.

I suspect a short-circuit somewhere due to the manufacturer, this RC seems to be nothing else than a standard RC with a Lego-stud body!

Mine hasn't overheated either, so no worries for me.

I'd expect the replacement remote to be identical in shape and function, but possibly with slightly higher quality to that last bit. Mine has a tendency to misintepret the input if I'm making small adjustments to speed, which I'm also hearing from other owners. I'm guessing LEGO is also looking at that and wanting to improve that bit while they still have a chance to do so.

Man, I got mine the first day. Even though I haven't have time to use it that much, I'm still pretty bummed. Oh well, that's what happens when you rush something to the market.

It would be great if they improve quality of the remote and clear those few bugs!

Is this the first Lego product recal?

http://service.lego.com/en-GB/productrecal...rol%20GEOR.aspx

Power Functions IR Speed Remote Control recalled

LEGO Systems is working with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission to voluntarily recall the 8879 Power Functions IR Speed Remote Control which poses a thermal burn hazard to users if the batteries inside overheat. The remote control units were sold separately (item 8879) or sold in the Emerald Night Train kit (item K1094) and Power Functions kit (item K8882).

997 units of the remote control units were sold between April 8, 2009 and May 6, 2009. LEGO Systems has received 4 reports of the remote control heating up after batteries were inserted. No injuries have occurred.

These remotes were only sold directly to consumers through http://shop.lego.com or the LEGO Shop at Home catalog and were not sold at any retail outlets. All consumers who have purchased this item are being asked to immediately stop using the remote control unit and to check to see if their unit is part of the recall. Purchasers will be contacted directly by LEGO Systems with information on how to determine if their IR remote control unit is part of the recall and how to receive a replacement remote, or they can access this information here.

I don´t know if it´s the first product recall, Smithy, but if you have had a closer look on our frontpage :hmpf: , you would have realised that there is a topic about this (the recall) already. In the future please ask in existing topics instead of opening a new one.

Hello MOD´s: Please merge this topic!

Thank you all. :laugh:

Apologies - I only read this section.

No problem.

But I recommend to look beyond one´s own nose from time to time - it´s worth it. :wink:

To answer your question: I checked the other thread. It seems like TLC recalled twice before.

I'd expect the replacement remote to be identical in shape and function, but possibly with slightly higher quality to that last bit. Mine has a tendency to misintepret the input if I'm making small adjustments to speed, which I'm also hearing from other owners. I'm guessing LEGO is also looking at that and wanting to improve that bit while they still have a chance to do so.

I've experienced the same issue, I don't know if it's a question of delay or wrong signal or anything else. I don't know if they will fix that issue as I wonder if it is due to the RC or the receiver; I may exchange my RC depending on that.

I think Lego will keep the same moulds, otherwise our RC will be collectors!

Man, I got mine the first day. Even though I haven't have time to use it that much, I'm still pretty bummed. Oh well, that's what happens when you rush something to the market.

Lego has made RCs for a while (even in various shapes) but electric devices are not their core market, so I can understand that something like that happened.

You. Must. Be. Kidding. Me! I have waited for this product anxiously since May 18th (my birthday) after I ordered the Emerald Night collection! 1st it's on back-order. 2nd, they give me a complimentary remote and say I'll get my real remote at the end of this month. 3rd. THIS! I don't freaking care if SOME of these have overheated! I have waited forever for this and it gets recalled. Nice job Lego. You have successfully pissed me, and maybe some other buyers of the EN Collection off. Such excellent customer service! :hmpf_bad:

CT

You. Must. Be. Kidding. Me! I have waited for this product anxiously since May 18th (my birthday) after I ordered the Emerald Night collection! 1st it's on back-order. 2nd, they give me a complimentary remote and say I'll get my real remote at the end of this month. 3rd. THIS! I don't freaking care if SOME of these have overheated! I have waited forever for this and it gets recalled. Nice job Lego. You have successfully pissed me, and maybe some other buyers of the EN Collection off. Such excellent customer service! :hmpf_bad:

CT

lol, ohh come on, can't you train guys just push your trains around by hand. :tongue:

[spoiled brat voice] No! Daddy promised me that I would get my remote! Pushing around by hand is stressing!!![/spoiled brat voice]

In all honesty, Front, I really wanted this remote due to the speed control aspect, as I collected old remote controlled trains when I was young, but no Lionel set's seemed to have speed control.

CT

PS: And I wanted it because it was big and fancy. :tongue:

Edited by Cyclone Titan