Sign in to follow this  
mtMOClug

MOC: Dwarf Mining Train

traintech1.jpg

This is a MOC I created for a club display in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada and Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada in February and May 2009. It took several attempts to reach this final version before and between shows. The challenge was to have it travel on a figure 8 through a MOC'd version of Dwarves Mine (sorry no pic) where the entrance and exit was much lower than standard height trains. The other challenge was the couplings and the length. Using standard LEGO couplings, they made the train seem to long. The solution I created was to use technic rubber couplers and technic pins. This worked very effectively and the couplings never failed. The locomotive really rumbles while flying around the track... the short wheelbase of the locomotive causes the train to really vibrate on the tracks and did cause several derailments... a bump in the tracks and speed being the culprit. The 'sweet spot' for speed was found, the track fixed, and never again did the train derail. The dwarf engineer sits on a 2x2 turntable and as the locomotive moves, he randomly looks back and forth (and bounces around quite a bit)... an accidental animated feature that was a pure joy for the audience.

3682332534_cba3e99590.jpg3682327484_0a6ea286f0.jpg

3681509243_96aee56d27.jpg3682321374_3ea69e05c2.jpg

3682318464_109afb42c7.jpg3682315844_6deea730da.jpg

3682312962_ef3c2a4915.jpg3682309616_278b7f2bc7.jpg

3682303104_743dbb93cd.jpg

Nice train . Really like the colour and the details like the tools.

They could transport loads a gold in that baby.

On the whole i think its awesome.

That is a sweet looking train! Bonus points for making it look authentic, while still having a degree of fantasy in it - most train-builders prefer building replicas of real trains, so this is a real breath of fresh air.

I really like it, though the blue doesn't seem very dwarf-like to me. Maybe if it was in dark green or something a little less vibrant?

but dark green is more difficult...

nice train although, 4-wide would be better (I have a working prototype 4 wide locomotive for 4 wide b.t.w.).

This is Fantastic! The color scheme is great, the compactness, and even your "oops" with the driver; this is really cool and I would love to see it on a layout. Thanks.

Cheers everyone for your suggestions and kind words. I was a little nervous posting... this is my first MOC to be posted on Eurobricks... and definitely will not be my last.

I really like it, though the blue doesn't seem very dwarf-like to me. Maybe if it was in dark green or something a little less vibrant?

When I first started the MOC it was in light grey and dark grey. I also use contrasting colours when first beginning a new MOC - it helps me to define the shape and lines without having to dig too far into the bins. In this case, while starting the MOC, I started introducing more and more blue elements... I liked it so much - because it was something different - that it stuck. If I were to create another, it would likely be more traditional and use brown, tan, and the greys.

but dark green is more difficult...

nice train although, 4-wide would be better (I have a working prototype 4 wide locomotive for 4 wide b.t.w.).

I'd really be interesting in seeing 4 wide!! Got some pics somewhere?

Cheers everyone for your suggestions and kind words. I was a little nervous posting... this is my first MOC to be posted on Eurobricks... and definitely will not be my last.

When I first started the MOC it was in light grey and dark grey. I also use contrasting colours when first beginning a new MOC - it helps me to define the shape and lines without having to dig too far into the bins. In this case, while starting the MOC, I started introducing more and more blue elements... I liked it so much - because it was something different - that it stuck. If I were to create another, it would likely be more traditional and use brown, tan, and the greys.

I'd really be interesting in seeing 4 wide!! Got some pics somewhere?

Well, I'll try to do my best than :) first some stickers (77xx) to finish.

Totally understandable. The more I look at it the more it's growing on me. Dark tan would be an awesome color, though the limited pieces might hinder you some.

I like you. I'm glad you're here in our community sharing your creations. They are great! :wub:

This is really creative and fun. Well-built too! I would describe your style as professional simplicity done fun. Great work. Thanks for sharing. :sweet:

I like you. I'm glad you're here in our community sharing your creations. They are great! :wub:

This is really creative and fun. Well-built too! I would describe your style as professional simplicity done fun. Great work. Thanks for sharing. :sweet:

Thanks Hinckley... you're too kind. :classic:

I've been lurking on Eurobricks for about a year, and watching your builds too... which are incredible BTW. Sharing these MOCs is great fun... and it was about time I got around to participating too. The feedback received from the community is very helpful and always makes me revisit the creation even if I think it was the 'final version'. I'll be posting some more MOCs over time... some final tweaks with updated photos are needed for the majority.