Murder on the Emerald Express: Chapter 9A

What should the group do next?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Choose an ACTION

• Return to the Farm
    • Visit the Emerald Express
    • Return to the Train Engine Shed
    • Walk to the Northwest

May I check the radio equipment to see if there have been any recently made transmissions?

There does not seem to be anything under the calendar, and no bathroom.

May I check the radio equipment to see if there have been any recently made transmissions?

Walking over to the desk, it appears that someone has smashed a brightly colored red radio. There is no way of telling when the last transmission was made.

There is; however, a small "X" etched along the side of the desk.

I'd like to investigate to see if there are any hidden compartments in any of the shelves.

I'd also like to check where the 'x' is for any loose wood etc.

Once we're done in here, I'd like to check inside the barrels which are sitting outside to see if there is anything useful inside, like French truffle oil fuel.

I'd like to feel around and in the mail slots for any switches, etc.

It looks like this place hasn't been used in a while. Who works here? Why is that date circled? I'd also like to check out the May month calendar, if it is still there.

I'd like to investigate to see if there are any hidden compartments in any of the shelves.

The shelves have mail slots that are all empty. There doesn't seem to be any hidden compartments as the back of the slots touch the wall of the building.

I'd also like to check where the 'x' is for any loose wood etc.

No loose wood located where the "X" is etched (right outer side of desk).

Once we're done in here, I'd like to check inside the barrels which are sitting outside to see if there is anything useful inside, like French truffle oil fuel.

Hold that thought.

I'd like to feel around and in the mail slots for any switches, etc.

Nothing in the mail slots.

It looks like this place hasn't been used in a while. Who works here? Why is that date circled? I'd also like to check out the May month calendar, if it is still there.

I'll let one of the townies answer your question.

There is; however, a small "X" etched along the side of the desk.

Let's check the undersides of the drawers and desk itself for anything taped or engraved there and if that fails, move the desk and look for a trap door.

"What was that, Brakes? ... Noooo, I don't see a chandelier in here, but we'll look up from the X to make sure nothing is up there." :wacko:

Well, I volunteer about once a month when the postal plane visits. The dates on the calendar are the schedule for when the plane comes by. It usually doesn't bring anything with it, except for some supplies, nothing special. I think that the last mail plane was May 6th, 2009.

Well, I volunteer about once a month when the postal plane visits. The dates on the calendar are the schedule for when the plane comes by. It usually doesn't bring anything with it, except for some supplies, nothing special. I think that the last mail plane was May 6th, 2009.

Ah, thanks. So you volunteer, huh? Who was here lately, namely on May 6th? Did anyone send out 12 letters at the same time? Please try to remember, George, as this information could be extremely useful.

Let's check the undersides of the drawers and desk itself for anything taped or engraved there and if that fails, move the desk and look for a trap door.

Interestingly, Grease discovers a small piece of paper stuck within the inner side of the desk (the size of a fortune cookie).

It has the following number written on it:

No luck finding a trap door, but there is also a dual casette player "boom-box" on the desk. You're not sure if it works or not.

Interestingly, Grease discovers a small piece of paper stuck within the inner side of the desk (the size of a fortune cookie).

It has the following number written on it:

Is there a fortune on the back? :grin:

Anyways, I wonder if this is a frequency station number? Could I try it out on a radio (if there is one)? It could also be a binary code...

No luck finding a trap door, but there is also a dual casette player "boom-box" on the desk. You're not sure if it works or not.

Hmm, I want to see if a tape is in there. If so, I would like to try it by pressing the play button. Then I'd like to try playing the other side of the tape, please.

Is there a fortune on the back? :grin:

No, but I'm sure Schmelt has something to add. :laugh:

I wonder if this is a frequency station number? Could I try it out on a radio (if there is one)? It could also be a binary code...

The radio has been smashed.

Hmm, I want to see if a tape is in there. If so, I would like to try it by pressing the play button. Then I'd like to try playing the other side of the tape, please.

The boom-box has no cassette inside.

It could also be a binary code...

I think it's the binary code (on/ off) for the switches that were found. It could be a secret message...

11 had 1 pony. 22 had 1 2. 11 1 1 race. 22 1 1 2!

I'm pretty sure it is not binary. I tried using it in a converter, and it did not work.

No, but I'm sure Schmelt has something to add. :laugh:

Of course he does. :tongue:

The boom-box has no cassette inside.

Hm, well then, I'd like to turn it on please.

I think it's the binary code (on/ off) for the switches that were found. It could be a secret message...

Good thinking. Assuming ones mean on and zeros mean off, that would mean:

Switch 1: On

Switch 2: On

Switch 3: Off

Switch 4: On

Switch 5: On

Switch 6: On

Switch 7: Off

Or we could try it the other way. After we're done here, I suggest we head back to the switch tower and try it out.

11 had 1 pony. 22 had 1 2. 11 1 1 race. 22 1 1 2!

Eleven had one pony. Twenty-two had one too. Eleven won a race. Twenty two won one too.

Clever, Waffle-brains. :laugh:

I would have to agree that this is the switch configuration and suggest we head there after finishing up here.

Isn't there a broken plane we could fix? Come on, we've got all kinds of rods by now... :wink:

Eleven had one pony. Twenty-two had one too. Eleven won a race. Twenty two won one too.

Hint: instead of saying Eleven and Twenty-Two, say it out loud with 'One One' and 'Two Two' :laugh:

Hint: instead of saying Eleven and Twenty-Two, say it out loud with 'One One' and 'Two Two' :laugh:

Sadly, we have not one but two broken two two's. :wacko:

Sadly, we have not one but two broken two two's. :wacko:

You mean a tu-tu? How would you know that it's broken? Have you worn one before?

Does anyone else want to inspect anything in the building (besides the barrels outside)?

You mean a tu-tu? How would you know that it's broken? Have you worn one before?

Noooo, two two! Two two twain! We hab bloken two two! :wacko:

That was odd. :look:

Noooo, two two! Two two twain! We hab bloken two two! :wacko:

Somebody take the peg off his tongue before we all go mad :hmpf:

I'd like to go outside and check out these barrles before going to the switch tower. Then I think we should go to the farm and pick up some fuel for the croc.

This just keeps getting weirder... so many X's!!!

Hmm... you know, it could be graffiti... ALRIGHT, WHO'S THE MYSTERIOUS, EVIL DR. X??!

C'MON, SHOW YERSELF!

Ahem, or not. However, that binary theory seems plausible? I do hope it is the switches.

Good thinking. Assuming ones mean on and zeros mean off, that would mean:

Switch 1: On

Switch 2: On

Switch 3: Off

Switch 4: On

Switch 5: On

Switch 6: On

Switch 7: Off

Or we could try it the other way. After we're done here, I suggest we head back to the switch tower and try it out.

Excellent deduction there Jim, looks like we are on a winner with the points.

Is it time to take a look outside in the barrels?

Excellent deduction there Jim, looks like we are on a winner with the points.

Is it time to take a look outside in the barrels?

I agree with Jim too, this should most certainly be the right switch patterns. I'm also a might bit intrigued as to what lay within these here barrels.

I'm glad we came here first fellas, it seems you was right all along, though I still feel there is somethin' ta be done out farm way.