achris

Ben 10 discussion thread

I think many of you need to calm down a bit.

1. How can you feel so negative about sets you haven't even seen yet? :hmpf:
  2. I think we can rest assured that they will not be anything like Galidor. Not only because front said so :tongue: or because Ben 10 toys with snap-on limbs already exist, but also because TLC has proven to learn from its past mistakes. :wink:
  3. Keep in mind that Lego is a child's toy. Only because YOU don't like Ben 10 it's NOT a bad license. Ben 10 is popular with the kids, so why shouldn't TLC sell sets of it?
  4. It looks like the Spongebob license has come to an end, and there are not many iconic vehicles/locations left that they can release in the Indy theme, so the only licenses next year will be Star Wars, Disney, and Ben 10, which means there will still be plenty of space for other themes.

Therefore, I advise you to think positive. At the very least, this might give use some interesting new parts. :thumbup:

@ computerbug & Mr. Mandalorian: Of course it would be great to get a Lego Rustbucket and figures of the aliens from the original Ben 10 show, but unfortunately the sets will be based on the current show, so I don't think we will get those. :sceptic:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Thanks for the calm voice of reason, Oky Wan. I've seen the show, and honestly, it's not that bad. I like the newer incarnation, as the writing is more mature. I honestly don't see too many set ideas if this is a System series like Batman. Now a brick-built figure that "transforms" into one of his alien alter-egos would be interesting, but very niche. It's not my cup of tea, but the show is popular here in the US, although existing toys seem to warm shelves at local retailers. I hope it does ok, for TLG's sake. Either way, I hope there's some useful innovation involved that works its way into sets down the road. I forsee this being a short-lived series.

I agree with Oky, you ya'll diddin sets that dont exist yet? :sceptic:

Although I have seen one Ep of the show and I wasnt exactly impressed, I think it has some intersting possibilities. It has something to do with aliens right? Can't be to bad, like an expansion on SP3 :thumbup:

The other day I found a "Ben 10" action figure in a toy shop in italy, never heard of it before. So even if the statement sounds like Galidor-like figures, I guess it still has to be a "building toy", if the other company didn't lose the licence for it. But I doubt we'll see minifigs. :hmpf_bad:

As I was reading the announcement, I kept thinking "GALIDOR 2: Electric Boogaloo"...

I have no doubt it would be more successful than Galidor, judging by how obsessed one of my 8-10 year old relatives is with it, but, eww...

I think it'll just be something about the whole turning into an alien thing.

Although isn't a magical/space/whatever wristwatch the main point of the series?

Printed arm-bits anyone?

As I was reading the announcement, I kept thinking "GALIDOR 2: Electric Boogaloo"...

Exactly my opinion, mind if I quote this for my signature? :wink:

Regarding that the Ben 10 toys made by other companies seem to be busy shelve warming and some members stating that the show isn't that popular in some countries, this license is most likely going to take a horribly wrong direction. :sceptic:

Edited by Stealth Hunter

I honestly couldn't care less about Ben 10. That's not to say it is a bad show, I can't judge that as I haven't watched it. I learnt that lesson when I condoned Teen Titans as awful; it was only when I saw the series in its entirety did I see how truly good it was.

Truthfully though, if these end up as system sets, and I pray that they will, I'm sure they will have some very sweet figs and pieces in store for us. So even though I'm not psyched about the show I can definitely get behind some sets.

However, like many others, I'm really afraid that this doesn't take the classic brick approach and tries something silly. I don't want another Galidor, Ben10 could be perfect parts packs in production (Excellent use of alliteration there Batbrick!) so I'm definitely hoping TLC doesn't take any drastic steps.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

I think we can rest assured that they will not be anything like Galidor.

No, because after this crap is released, Galidor will be remembered fondly. :tongue:

Therefore, I advise you to think positive. At the very least, this might give use some interesting new parts. :thumbup:

Thank you for this and I wholeheartedly agree.

For everyone who jumps on the "oh no another license" ledge, take a step back and look at Lego sets as a whole. Now compare to what we could buy 10 years ago (when as far as I can remember there was only the Star Wars license).

I would argue we are living in a new golden age of Lego. Ten years ago, when we were staring at Town Junior sets, who would have thought sets like Medieval Marketplace and Green Grocer and Town Plan, etc. would ever be retail sets? So be happy for what we DO have rather than what we fear might be released. Do you have to like licenses? Absolutely not. But this undercurrent of "Lego is a bunch of slack-jawed yokels that don't know what they're doing" that infects these threads gets a little tiresome, IMO.

Thank you for this and I wholeheartedly agree.

For everyone who jumps on the "oh no another license" ledge, take a step back and look at Lego sets as a whole. Now compare to what we could buy 10 years ago (when as far as I can remember there was only the Star Wars license).

I would argue we are living in a new golden age of Lego. Ten years ago, when we were staring at Town Junior sets, who would have thought sets like Medieval Marketplace and Green Grocer and Town Plan, etc. would ever be retail sets? So be happy for what we DO have rather than what we fear might be released. Do you have to like licenses? Absolutely not. But this undercurrent of "Lego is a bunch of slack-jawed yokels that don't know what they're doing" that infects these threads gets a little tiresome, IMO.

I agree with Salty Bone here, always these same threads do get tiresome and hard to moderate.

Two quotes from the linked article:

"The range, based on the Ben 10 Alien Force adventures, is expected to launch globally in Spring 2010 and promises a new twist on the Lego building system."

"Ben 10 Alien Force is the perfect property on which to base a new way to build and play with Lego elements.”

A new building system for a license that features lots of weird creatures? Has Lego already forgotten Galidor? I'll have to reserve full judgement until I actually see what they come up with, but for now I have a bad feeling about this.

Yeah let's hope the "twist" is not something like bionicle or galidor :thumbdown:, but more like technic, which is also kind of a "twist" of regular lego.

Although the idea of turning a cartoon into lego form, as we know from spongebob and clone wars :sick: (they brought us some good sets and some good new pieces, but cartoon minifigures is just weird most of the time), is a bad starting point.

I for one, think this is a very smart move for Lego. It'll bring many more children to Lego than it is already doing. The worst I can see it getting is as bad as Spongebob or Batman. Both those brands have a large appeal to kids and have brought much money to Lego.

I love Ben 10! Ben 10: Alien Force is good, but in some ways it's not as good as Ben 10. Still, I hope they don't make something weird with all this talk of "new ways to build"...

Bet ya ten bucks that LEGO uses Jack Stone style minifigs. :wink:

Man I hope this doesn't replace Indy :angry: . Actually, I hope it doesn't replace any of the lines, and is treated as an addition to the LEGO line rather than a replacement of something. If it does *have to* replace something, it will probably replace spongebob.

As I see it, we have two options for a theme here- We could have normal minifig sets that have a few brickbuilt things such as spaceships, the RV maybe, or Kevin's car. But then there are Ben's aliens, which are the focal point of the show. I'm not sure how TLC could make the aliens into minifigs, but after seeing the new Space Police aliens I think it might be possible. However, it would still be very limited on what you could do with them, as many have multiple arms, wings, tails, and so on that you just can't do on a minifig.

The other option is, of course, Galidor-ish sets, which seems the most likely to me. This way, Lego can do a better job with the aliens, and be able to produce the proportions better.

I'd prefer to see standard minifig-sized sets, but seeing as the show is based entirely on oddly-proportioned alien superheroes/monsters, I can't see how TLC could pull of a decent copy of them.

I've seen the show too, and it's not bad- exponentially better than most of the terrible garbage that Cartoon Network usually has, and is right up there with Clone Wars, Batman, and another new show, Secret Saturdays.

Well, I've seen a few episodes of the new series, I wouldn't call myself a fan, but it is somewhat interesting.

I agree this could go a few ways. One, and the best way for the majority of people, is MF scale. Could probuce some cool new torsos, and hopefully some cool new head molds or head/headpiece molds like a fiery headpiece and a trans-orange head for the alien that's on fire ect. It could also produce some pretty sweet vehicles, like the green hot rod, ect. (ALSO: The rustbucket actually did make an appearance in the new show, I believe it was in the very first episode.)

Another way would be minifig scale again, but with Bionicle Playset-esque aliens. This would probably be shunned by most people, but I can see it happening here.

And then the dreaded Galidor/ Jack Stone sized figs. I doubt they will produce Galidor-esque figs again, after the failure of the originals, but Jack Stone sized figs are a definate (if not wanted) possibility.

All there really is to do is wait and see what this new theme brings to the table. It could be amazing, it could be just terrible. We just need to wait.

Look on the bright side: At the very least, it's one more kid-popular theme that Megablocks isn't going to get their grubby hands on! :grin:

DSR

Sadly, I think this new theme will replace my favorite one, Indy! :cry_sad:

I think we still will get Indy sets. I'm not positive, but somehow I don't think TLG would scrap that great and popular line for this reason alone.

If it goes, it's more likely that they've run out of ideas.

Sadly, I think this new theme will replace my favorite one, Indy! :cry_sad:

Surely it'll replace SpongeBob as the cartoon theme? SpongeBob fans have grown into Ben 10 fans (my son has) and he's already excited about the prospect.

What with the Indy fear? Surely there's lots more to dream up in that area. Young Indy train, Belloq car, Vogel tank... And that's restricting it to just vehicles. Which I think is nonsense - look at the treasure room from Raiders, the Crystal Skull graveyard (mkay, that one has a bike), the Raiders market place...

On the Ben 10 topic. If it's minifig sized, let's not get our hopes up for new hair. Ben looks remarkably like CW Anakin, coiffe-wise. The RV looks cool. The aliens look interesting. TLC probably won't go Galidor on us twice. So heck yes, can't wait for the first pics!

From a LEGO writer for BIONICLE, posted on BZP:

His brother is 10, and has never gotten into BIONICLE or action figure building. But he does like Ben-10. He buys a Ben-10 set, builds it, discovers he likes building action figures and maybe buys a BIONICLE set next.

Greg

I think he was just talking about the Ben 10 Alien Creation Chamber action figure sets. After all, the Ben 10 Lego sets aren't even produced yet, not to mention not being available for purchase to 10-year olds. :wink: Therefore, I don't think that that quote had anything to do with the Lego sets.

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi