traintech1.jpg

Name: Metroliner

Ref: 10001

Theme: Legend

Year: 2001

Pieces: 772

Minifigs: 11

Introduction:

This 10001 Metroliner is a re-released version of the 4558 Metroliner from1991.

Like most of the Legend sets, there are some differences between the two versions.

For this Metroliner, the first difference is the number of pieces, 768 for the original version VS 772 for the re-released one.

Before we’re going onto the review, I would like to bring you back to the fact that the Metroliner belong to the first wave of the 9V train system.

So 1991 bring a lot of new pieces due to this system (motors and tracks) but not only. This piece 2877.png appears of the first time in 1991 and in 3 train sets only! This stripped piece is common those days and very useful to add some textures and details.

The box:

The box is in black and white, far away the colourful design of the traditional boxes!

Like it’s written on the back of the box, if you don’t know this set, Just Imagine… what the colours are supposed to be! :wacko:

10001_02.jpg

The LEGO logo without any colours looks really joyless.

10001_03.jpg

The front shows the set itself, which is less appealing in B&W.

You can read that it’s a re-released version of the original 4558:

10001_04.jpg

Like its brother, the speed regulator is not included.

If you don’t have it, the playability of this set decreases so much!

But I’m not concerned, I’ve got 3 of this regulator… :hmpf:

10001_05.jpg

The parts:

So, what’s in this box?

Tada!

10001_06.jpg

We’ve got:

-11 bags (1 was opened inside the unopened box! No matter, all the bricks are here!)

-3 old grey bases

-16 curved tracks (again…)

-4 straight tracks (only… never enough of them)

-1 9V motor (which begin to become a rare piece…)

-1 9V link

-1 stickers sheet

-1 instruction booklet

Looking at all those bricks, the box seems a little small nowadays.

On the first page of the instruction booklet, we can see two models, the Metroliner and an alternative model.

It’s the same front page than the older version, except the reference number of course!

The back shows some details of the Metroliner.

Hopefully the booklet is not in B&W, which is easier for the building! :laugh:

10001_07.jpg

10001_08.jpg

A closer view of the DSS (we will return on it later…):

10001_09.jpg

and all the pieces mixed together (TLC allows it when there are no numbered bag :tongue: ).

10001_10.jpg

I’ve taken a picture of some very interesting pieces, not that common nowadays (black bike, magnet part, white gate…) and new to me (those fast door, small glass, front of the train and that black classic space piece).

10001_11.jpg

The building:

Like always (not totally, just remind the 7774 crab crusher Aquaraider set), we start with the minifigs.

Even if the Legend version was released in 2001, LTC keeps the 90’s design of instruction, which means horrible representation of minifigs! (But nowadays, even with the use of high tech computer and printer, we have some horrors like those black everywhere in minifigs hair! :sick: ).

10001_12.jpg

And here the real better looking version:

10001_13.jpg

10001_14.jpg

There are no printing backs of course!

So we’ve got 11 minifigs in one set, which is not so common those days for such a price rank set.

I know that everybody has notice one of the big difference between 4558 and 10001! No?!...

Look at her, yes her, the girl with the red necklace! Her hair is the small ponytail released in 1992 with the Paradisa theme!

The original version has this hair with pigtails! 390.png.

With those 11 figs, we’ve got almost all the city torsos of 1991!

And for people who complain about the fact that we’ve got the same recurrent minifig heads from 5 years, just look at all those smiley faces! All the same!

The minifigs come with 7 suitcases, which is pretty good too!

After 3 steps in the building, I discovered a totally new piece:

10001_15.jpg

I didn’t know that such a brick has existed : a classic 1x2 brick but it’s hollow with a notch. This notch permit the link to pass trough the brick without being crushed.

A pic is better than words, so:

10001_16.jpg

A random page of the booklet :

10001_17.jpg

After some years with “put one by one brick instructions”, this booklet seems pretty hard to follow!

I’ve lost the habit of watching carefully each step to make sure I don’t forget to put bricks! Now, children are very assisted by TLC, what a pity!

What amused me is this page! It seems that the anachronistic ponytail give the instruction designer some difficulties. Just look at this page:

10001_19.jpg

We clearly see some perspective and plane problem, with the tail in front of the white panel, which is strictly impossible because they are aligned:

10001_18.jpg

A good point of this booklet is that we’ve got the instruction of the alternative model:

10001_20.jpg

Nowadays, we don’t even have pics from alternative models, so…

The instructions are in 1 booklet of 44 pages only for two models!

The model :

Here some view of the whole set :

10001_21.jpg

10001_22.jpg

10001_24.jpg

(the old pantographs look thiner and better than the new one!)

The first carriage, (side, front back and up):

10001_25.jpg

10001_26.jpg

10001_27.jpg

10001_28.jpg

Here a view with opened doors:

10001_29.jpg

In this picture, we can see the second big difference between 4558 and 10001. And what a big difference… No?!...Yet this one is a little more troublesome…

The large grey doors are not printed but stickered! :angry:

And those stickers are not long enough to cover the curved section of the doors, causing a discontinuity in the strips! :cry_sad::sing:

And finally some details on the inside:

10001_31.jpg

We’ve got the restaurant section of the train. But do not be too hungry, there are only drinks! (As long as there is beer... This is for you, my eventees :wink: )

We can also see the engine of this train. What a shame, it’s just a dummy engine!

10001_32.jpg

And here, the cockpit of the Metroliner. Even if it’s an old set, this cockpit looks pretty modern and high tech.

10001_30.jpg

The middle carriage (side, front/back, up)

10001_33.jpg

10001_34.jpg

10001_35.jpg

We’ve got a toilet with a nice tap. :thumbup:

10001_37.jpg

We’ve got 4 seats and some places under the table to put some luggage.

10001_38.jpg

10001_39.jpg

The third carriage (side, the front/back/up are the same at the first one):

10001_40.jpg

Some details on the inside:

10001_41.jpg

We’ve got a bed section, in which you can put two minifigs.

Just note that TLC has chosen the man in suit for sleeping!

And the classic-space printed tile prevent the bed to fall on the lady! :grin:

10001_42.jpg

10001_43.jpg

After, we’ve got a small cargo area to put some boxes and bikes.

10001_44.jpg

10001_45.jpg

The cockpit is exactly the same as the first carriage, except on the fact that we don’t have any 9V link.

The platform:

Nothing really special here. A simple but effective platform to wait for the train with seats, lights and schedules.

10001_46.jpg

10001_47.jpg

Extra parts :

10001_48.jpg

Nothing special, except on that grey small piece of plastic (not really useful I know! :grin: )

Conclusion :

The Metroliner is a true LEGO train classic.

The re-released version is one notch below the 4558 because of the non printed large doors (a small detail I know, but not so small after all!).

It’s a very complete set with a nice plateforme and a full train. You don’t need to buy two copies of this set or additional carriages to have a decent train (like it was with the 4511 High Speed Train!).

The global colour scheme is not very colourful for a LEGO city set, but it gives this train a realistic look.

And its look makes this train the more beautiful passenger train of the 9V generation.

TLC has released 2 years after the 4558, the 4547 Club Car

4547b.jpg

which was a nice addition to the train.

Just hope that TLC will bring us a PF train as good as this Metroliner, with add-on cars!

My personal impression:

The 90’s were the years of my childhood, when I spent hours and hours eating the LEGO catalogues with my eyes, wanting all the sets, trying to learn how to build those sets just with few pictures.

But train sets were apart. In fact, it was the only theme in which I didn’t have any sets. My parents didn’t want me to buy them because of the price and because my father has a model train layout with which we could play. Maybe, but his trains weren’t in LEGO! So trains were, for a long time, unattainable theme… :cry_sad:

During five years, the Metroliner was shown in LEGO catalogues, and it was always a dream!

And they re-released it in 2001. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the money to buy it!

My first train was the 4511 High Speed Train from 2003. It’s a great train but it lakes some nice interior details and don’t have the Metroliner feeling (nostalgia).

So I was very happy to finally have this baby! :cry_happy:

And making it moving along the tracks is always a magical moment! I can spend hours looking at trains moving around!

Building this set those days was a real “back in time” trip in the building : not numbered bag, old instruction style, old grey bricks…

What a pleasure to have all those “old” bricks in new condition, without any dust or other time damage!

Building with new old gray bricks will be more and more rare moments…

It was also a childhood dream become true!

After the cypress trees, now the Metroliner! So thanks a lot Mr. Making my LEGO dreams come true! :blush:

So this is the end of this review. But I know that everybody have seen a strange minifig somewhere… No?!...

Just look closer:

10001_49.jpg

Still nothing?!... Just wait, she will go down the Metroliner…

10001_50.jpg

Hey, it’s Monique, the incredible last (wo)man standing who wants to say hello to the Pagong and to the Tagi as well!

10001_51.jpg

We’ll let her here with this poor workman! (She will probably try to have a baby with him, like always! :hmpf: ).

10001_52.jpg

Fantastic review, alex. I've wanted this set ever since I got into Lego in 1992. We got the Load 'n' Haul Railroad instead. I guess if I'd got the Metroliner I'd be lamenting the fact I wanted the Load 'n' Haul right now :laugh:

I'd like to get the Metroliner sometime soon, I got the 10002 clubcar when it was rereleased alongside 10001.

So a wonderful review of a great set. I'm very jealous you have it :blush:

Laurie

This is a great review!

I really hope that you can review the alternate model, as well.

Nice review! :thumbup: This is the only Lego train I had and your review brought me a lot of memories of this wonderful set :cry_happy:

This is the only train I have, along with the 10002 extension car, but it's easily my favorite Lego train ever. :thumbup: It looks like many real-world train systems (such as Amtrak) with the kind of color scheme it has.

I made several modifications to the internal layout on mine, moving all four large doors to the front car for one big cargo section, and enlarging the dining area in the rear engine car. I also added an extra train motor in the back in order to add lights on that car.

I actually liked the retro, compact look of the instructions. I think modern instructions are far too lengthy and drawn out. :tongue: This re-release was very good on the whole. TLG reproduced several discontinued pieces just for this set, and the changes from the original were quite minimal compared to some of the other legend sets.

One issue with both the door printing and the stickers is that the white looks noticeably darker than white plates, so the white stripe on the train doesn't look uniform. I think the original set might have had the same problem though.

I am feeling speechless about this review! Although I am not a train collector "yet", but this is one of the best train sets ever released by TLG. :cry_happy:

I love the whole idea of this set and the expansion of the carriage by including clubcar. Furthermore, this set has a whopping 11 minifigs to add to your collection. The interior is really very detailed. It's nice to see this review of yours, so we are able to envy this set! Judging from your review, did you buy this set recently?

Wait a minute! Now, I know where you have gotten this set! Congratulations! It's not an easy feat to have survived so far. :wub:

It's nice to see your reviews once again, and thanks for sharing it with us! This review has been blogged in Classic-Town.net!

WOW! :wub:

Firstly, when i saw this topic, my heart stopped three beats... It's my most anticipated set ever reviewed!! Three cheers to you bro alex54 for bringing this wonderful review of the, in my humble opinion, the best train set ever!! :thumbup:

WOW! U have the legends version! Nice! And i believed u bought it MISB? Very very hard to find these-a-days... I'm awaiting patiently for my own metroliner (4558) to come in real soon from evilbay, so in the meantime, i can see the wonders of this set and really didnt regret getting it even though i understand the pain of getting 9v tracks now... It's just a beauty!

Very through review, painstakingly created for us to enjoy. Really appreciated the hard work and i was busy whipping my cpu screen as i was slowly scrolling down and reading every word and sentence... This set is truely a legend! :thumbup:

Well, i guess the poll is not necessary since i believe it'll definately be a train-tacular track! Maybe the only minus point would be the cost of it now...

Thanks again with upmost gratitude for reviewing my most anticipated set!! Cheers!! :thumbup:

Brilliant review of a brilliant set! I'm not sure how you did it, but you made those cars look long and acceptable on their own in your images. That sadly isn't at all the case. They look very short, tall, and stubby on their own. But when put with each other...

This is a great set, and you have more than done it justice. Well done! :thumbup:

Thanks for this wonderful review with so many pictures!

Have you got/bought this set recently? Anyway, I just want to tell you that the wheels of my Metroliner 10001 rotated badly. I didn't know it for a long time, so I used two motors, one in the back part and one in the front. When I discussed the matter of badly rotating wheels of my Super Chief here on Eurobricks, I checked all the trains I had, and the wheels of this set also rotated badly. So substitute them by new wheels. I was told that you could cut away a bit of plastic from the bad wheels, so they'd rotate nicely, but I don't know where exactly.

Edit: And I voted train-tacular, of course!

Edited by legotrainfan

Great review, keep it up. :thumbup: I've never been into trains but this set is just amazing for me. :pir-wub: I would mod it to an armoured train :pir-devil:

Edited by Zuntir

I have to admit, I never expected the Legends-sets to be as faithful to the original in their execution as this one seems to be. Being an owner of the original 4558 I was surprised how down to details everything is, with the exception of the pig-tails wig being replaced with a ponytail, and the stickers for the cargo-doors, not to mention that the building instructions are as faithful as they are, in which case I expected a stylistically modernised design, if identical steps.

One issue with both the door printing and the stickers is that the white looks noticeably darker than white plates, so the white stripe on the train doesn't look uniform. I think the original set might have had the same problem though.

The original had the same problem. I was surprised at how closely the stickers for the cargo-doors mimick the original printed doors in color; the only difference is that the stickered stripes are not quite the same length as the printed stripes.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed this review!

ANd for people who asked, I don't have the Club car yet, but now that I've got the Metroliner, maybe I will try to find it...

Have you got/bought this set recently? Anyway, I just want to tell you that the wheels of my Metroliner 10001 rotated badly. I didn't know it for a long time, so I used two motors, one in the back part and one in the front. When I discussed the matter of badly rotating wheels of my Super Chief here on Eurobricks, I checked all trains I had, and the wheels of this set also rotated badly. So subsitute them by new wheels. I was told that you could cut away a bit of plastic from the bad wheels, so they'd rotate nicely, but I don't know where exactly.

I've got it very recently, for more than a week now. So I don't have any problem with the rotation of my wheels. I have heard about this on a Freelug I think. They gave some tips on how to cut the boggies.

This problem is due to the wear around the metal axle if I can remember...

I have to admit, I never expected the Legends-sets to be as faithful to the original in their execution as this one seems to be. Being an owner of the original 4558 I was surprised how down to details everything is, with the exception of the pig-tails wig being replaced with a ponytail, and the stickers for the cargo-doors, not to mention that the building instructions are as faithful as they are, in which case I expected a stylistically modernised design, if identical steps.

The original had the same problem. I was surprised at how closely the stickers for the cargo-doors mimick the original printed doors in color; the only difference is that the stickered stripes are not quite the same length as the printed stripes.

I never expected this Legend-set to be as faithful to the original! I've bought the Legend version of the airport, and the changes were bigger, like some differents roofwindows or worst, baseplate!

It's an idea for a future review...

And yes the stickers for the cargo-doors mimick the original printed colours, with the not so white white. This white aspect don't bothered me that much, as the difference of length for the stripes (especially the red one), compared to the "too short" aspect of those stickers...

Although I am not a train collector "yet", but this is one of the best train sets ever released by TLG. :cry_happy:

It's nice to see your reviews once again, and thanks for sharing it with us! This review has been blogged in Classic-Town.net!

Thanks! And even if you're not a train collector, I whish you to have one train just for the pleasure to see it runs around :cry_happy:

I have one of these babies and it is one of my favourite ever train sets. Train-tacular it is! :thumbup:

Neither did i have one as a child, i only had 1 12V cargo train i shared with my brother. (And unfortunatly we sold that one.)

So last year i finally got one in great condition, and even though it is in pieces, i really like it.

Thanks for the great review Alex, but....

could you please drop Monique off the platform before she starts to want money from us? :hmpf_bad:

When I was a kid (when the original Metroliner came out) I wanted one-more than anything else. But it was too expensive. For the next 10 years I looked at it in my old catalogs and wished I had bought one. And whenever a new train came out I would compare it to the Metroliner, and decide it was't as good. So for 10 years, I didn't own a train - although I owned train stations and miscelaneous cars. Back then there was nothing like ebay, so I thought I would never get it. But then in 2001 they released this Legends set! I was so excited that on the same day I got the new catalog I placed an order for two of them!

But unfortunately they're stored at my parent's house, along with all of my childhood Lego. (don't worry, I've accumulated lots of adulthood Lego now!) I think if I go home this summer I'll have to bring one of my Metroliners back with me.

Thanks for the review alex54,

This set is just Train-tacular! :cry_happy:

This review actually made me stroll websites yesterday to find this set.

I missed this set a couple of years ago in 2001 during my dark ages.

And I missed it when I was young when it was first released.

Guess I wasn't convincing my parents enough back then. :tongue:

But, it has always been one of my favourites.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Nice review, thanks! Before viewing these photos, I'd considered that this set was poor, i.e. nothing new or special and classic one-piece cabins. But since then, I've liked the very detailed interior (beds, moving tables, black eletric engine, cargo room, etc.) and I've understood why it's been a legend.

I've never got any Lego train when I was a child (train sets were a lot too expensive) and I was in my dark arge when the Metroliner was released; then in 2001 I didn't pay much attention on it and I didn't have much money either.

I hope the upcoming train carriages will include many details such as these -- anyway the Metroliner remains excellent even compared with today's sets.

Edited by Cavannus

Thank you very much for this great review, alex54! :classic:

I voted for

train-tacular!

since this train is imo the best passenger train TLG has been releasing until now :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: and it is simply :wub: :wub: :wub: !

- awesome minifigs :wub:

- many minifigs :thumbup:

- amazing exterior design :wub:

- real doors which can be opened :thumbup:

- well-done interior design :thumbup:

- many accessory :thumbup:

- awesome platform :wub:

- includes everything which a brilliant speed train has to include: "regular" passenger wagon, toilet, sleeping wagon, "snack bar", two cockpits, brick-built motor and frieght room! :oh:

I luckily bought this set in 2003, still own it and will surely not sell it (unless I'm forced to do so)! :sweet:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Ahhh.... the Metroliner. :wub: This has to be one of the ultimate city sets. (I say "one of" to avoid any arguments; I'm sure many feel the Monorail is better!) The interior design of this train in particular is wonderful. I've always loved the baggage/sleep end. The odd thing is that it wouldn't cost much more to do a set with an interior this good, but for some reason they don't.

Thanks for the great review Alex. :sweet:

Excellent review for one of the greatest and most classic sets that TLG has ever released.

This train was the first that had been officially released here in Greece - sadly, the 12V era never made it here :cry_sad: but having a cousin in Germany and me being a crazy 10 year old about LEGO, I managed to get the 7735 Freight Train during '89.

Anyway, back on topic.The train is excellent.It had that "modern" feeling back then and of course including 11(!) minifigs is something to drool for! :wub:

The small details like the sink/tap, the bunk bed and the storage area for the bicycles (included!! :blush: ) work perfectly!

The platform is an extra plus. Although that it's not something big or fancy (the yellow station did the job :wink: ) it has some small details that today they look like a luxurious extra comparing it with the todays released trains.

Thanks for the memories alex!

P.S

11 minifigs...... :wub: ...glory days....

...The odd thing is that it wouldn't cost much more to do a set with an interior this good, but for some reason they don't...

I totally agree with you!

Compared to the Metroliner, the interior of IST 4511 looks very empty and basic with just few chairs and simple table, without anything else, for not a cheap price!

Nice review!

This is truely a great set....one that has evaded me for some time now, maybe one day I shall add this to my train collection :classic:

I'm not really into train but this set is really nice, and your review is just Ace !

I like this train, I had it when I was young ( my mother sold it now...) , and I played a lot with it^^ what a cool set !

hey alex great review of an amazing set!

how much did you pay for it if i may ask..