Sign in to follow this  
Andre1983nl

Train question (noob question)

traintech1.jpg

Hello

I stopped playing with lego years ago... :sadnew:

But i got legobricks in my blood again because of my 7 years old cousin (dutch = neefje) is in his lego "stage".

I would like to buy a lego train

But how does the new lego train works with RC?

Do i have to hold the controls in my hands while playing it?

I mean the older set the 9Volts systeem works like any scale train (Marklin/ Jousef) with trafo.

Sorry for my lack of english.

André

Edited by TheBrickster

Well, firstly, I would recommend you held off for a bit and bought a train such as 10194 Emerald Night from the new Power Functions system rather than the RC one. And although the controls are via a remote control, there is no reason why you have to hold it, just holding it is possible. Easy enough to just stick your controller on the table next to your track though. :pir-wink:

Hey, you signed up on my birthday (May 18th)! :laugh:

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about LEGO trains, sorry.

Yes with the new powerfunctions you get a remote controller, like you would find in R/C cars. The system is better then the previous R/C system, so i'd definitly go with the powerfunctions if i where you.

The new track also allows more layout possibilities, not in the last place for the now available flexible tracks.

I currently drive 9 volt myself because i just have a lot of it. But if i ever get to making a layout, i'd incorporate both systems.

I hope this answers your question, have fun with the train(s)! :thumbup:

Well, firstly, I would recommend you held off for a bit and bought a train such as 10194 Emerald Night from the new Power Functions system rather than the RC one. And although the controls are via a remote control, there is no reason why you have to hold it, just holding it is possible. Easy enough to just stick your controller on the table next to your track though. :pir-wink:

AH, THX!

Well http://link.marktplaats.nl/255391294 <<-- these old 9V systeem are also impressive. It's like the small scale train.

Edited by Andre1983nl

Hi there! I'm a new train-nee too! I just got the passenger train and got myself hooked on trains... Getting the metroliner next to fulfill the 9v fantasy..

Well, brothers here are most probably more informed in trains than me, but i think they're all correct. It's better to move with the times as 9v train tracks are really getting more and more scarse and costly, esp the straight ones.. The new PF trains can run both on 9v tracks and the new RC tracks where-else the old 9v trains require electricity conducting metal 9v tracks... (sad..) Plus, with the addition of the new flexi tracks, the possibility is endless! Not to mention the new RC tracks are also alot cheaper then their pre-ancestors 9v tracks...

There is a minus point though, in my humble opinion, the 9v trains look ALOT better... And the PF functions, esp the lithion recheargeable battery, is very very costly right now.... U might wanna wait a while for the prcies to drop a little?

Hoped my limited train knowledge helped! Cheers! and have fun train-ing!! :tongue:

But how does the new lego train works with RC?

Do i have to hold the controls in my hands while playing it?

Both the RC trains (which are being replaced now) and the Power-Functions (the common name for LEGOs motors and electronics) trains use infra-red control for the trains, and both are of the type, that you select a speed and watch the train go. So no, you do not need to hold the controls while playing, like you do with an R/C-car.

But, the remote controls for the two systems are different and are not compatible systems. The remote you get in the trains available in shops today, will not work with PF-trains, and the remote for the PF-trains will not work with the RC-trains. On the plus side, the remote for the PF-trains is not limited to trains only, since the trains use a standard PF-Receiver, which is also used on other models for remote control. So the PF-train remote can also be used to control the bulldozer that was released a few years ago, even if it came with a different type of remote controller (which has on/off only, and needs to be held in the hands while playing).

Hope that helps.

Hi there! I'm a new train-nee too! I just got the passenger train and got myself hooked on trains... Getting the metroliner next to fulfill the 9v fantasy..

Well, brothers here are most probably more informed in trains than me, but i think they're all correct. It's better to move with the times as 9v train tracks are really getting more and more scarse and costly, esp the straight ones.. The new PF trains can run both on 9v tracks and the new RC tracks where-else the old 9v trains require electricity conducting metal 9v tracks... (sad..) Plus, with the addition of the new flexi tracks, the possibility is endless! Not to mention the new RC tracks are also alot cheaper then their pre-ancestors 9v tracks...

There is a minus point though, in my humble opinion, the 9v trains look ALOT better... And the PF functions, esp the lithion recheargeable battery, is very very costly right now.... U might wanna wait a while for the prcies to drop a little?

Hoped my limited train knowledge helped! Cheers! and have fun train-ing!! :tongue:

IMHO there's no point starting a 9V collection if you don't already have one, but if you are in an AFOL club that exhibits trains then 9V motors might be useful so that you could make hybrid locos and run your trains on a 9V club layout at a show. PF trains with 9V train motors will work fine in 9V mode with the PF IR receiver turned off. My hybrid loco also lets the PF battery do the lights in 9V mode with the 9V track powering the motors (using a light direction circuit of my own design).

To be honest, the white RC passenger train has the worst front piece ever seen in a train kit! I've heard of it also not fitting as it should, leaving gaps in the body sides. The overhang on the curves is awful too. Therefore 9V trains are bound to look a lot better!

We have seen only the Emerald Night as a PF train, squarely aimed at AFOLs, many of whom have modded the kit to improve it and make it more like a real UK Pacific engine. Therefore I would say PF has a very good record when it comes down to looks. TLG have clearly made an effort to incorporate more reality and AFOL ideas and this is a huge step in the right direction for trains.

The key with PF trains over 9V is the placement of the PF elements. It's no longer quite as simple as slapping a motor on the bottom of a carriage. You have to be realistic about where things will fit, such as providing a carriage or tender for the battery. Wires between carriages are no problem if they stay as a rake at a show. The problem is shunting with a tank engine, which has little space for a battery. It's still heaps better than the RC chassis, which can't do a steamer at all!

I don't expect prices to drop, but think how many sets of alkaline batteries the LiPo battery will save you in 500 charges over 3 years. Heavy use would be 200 sets of batteries at £4 each (bargain price) = £800 against £42! The price is roughly in proportion to that of a laptop battery of the same technology, bearing in mind that the battery has to incorporate the controlled charging circuit too. I suggest that you make PF trains to have the battery easily removable, then you need only the number of batteries for the number of trains that can run at once, plus one per track oval to be charged at the same time.

I haven't decided about the flexi-track. It's great for kids because they can guarantee to make an oval of whatever shape, allowing them to leave the train to run. For AFOLs it's OK as long as you're not aiming for a realistic look. Those check rails are an issue - if the prototype flexi-track, without them, were available I would have no hesitation in buying it. I have a 9V layout and will be using PF trains in the yard for now. I might spread the PF to the main lines once I've evaluated the flexi-track more closely.

There is another thread that lists more of the advantages & disadvantages of 4.5V/12V/9V/RC and PF trains.

Mark

Both the RC trains (which are being replaced now) and the Power-Functions (the common name for LEGOs motors and electronics) trains use infra-red control for the trains, and both are of the type, that you select a speed and watch the train go. So no, you do not need to hold the controls while playing, like you do with an R/C-car.

But, the remote controls for the two systems are different and are not compatible systems. The remote you get in the trains available in shops today, will not work with PF-trains, and the remote for the PF-trains will not work with the RC-trains. On the plus side, the remote for the PF-trains is not limited to trains only, since the trains use a standard PF-Receiver, which is also used on other models for remote control. So the PF-train remote can also be used to control the bulldozer that was released a few years ago, even if it came with a different type of remote controller (which has on/off only, and needs to be held in the hands while playing).

Hope that helps.

Mystery solved! :thumbup:

I will save money for the 7898 set. I love the "Crocodil" model LOC.

What will happen if i put 2 trains on 1 track?

9v or Power Functions?

9v, you can have 2 trains on the same track before it becomes a problem. You could of course put DCC decoders in the motors though and control as many as you wish using DCC, but that's quite costly.

Power Functions can have as many trains on the track as the 8 channels on the controller. Although I'm not sure I'd be coordinated enough to be able to run that many at the same time without a big train pile-up! :tongue:

9v or Power Functions?

9v, you can have 2 trains on the same track before it becomes a problem. You could of course put DCC decoders in the motors though and control as many as you wish using DCC, but that's quite costly.

Power Functions can have as many trains on the track as the 8 channels on the controller. Although I'm not sure I'd be coordinated enough to be able to run that many at the same time without a big train pile-up! :tongue:

AH THX

I will be "training" this summer.

Hi To all!

Sorry for digging up my old topic but i just want to say that i bought this Set 10183 :wub:

10183a.jpg

With motor, rails and trafo/apdaptor voor 100 euro's. :look:

Very good purchase there! Well done, that set is full of great train parts and you should be set for many hours of building, running and building something else. Welcome to the world of LEGO trains!

Ameland, dat kom je niet vaak tegen! Mijn familie komt er vandaan, maar ik heb er zelf nooit gewoond. Wel vroeger veel op vakantie geweest, huisje vlak onder de vuurtoren?

Je neefje is trouwens waarschijnlijk je nephew. Cousins zijn de kinderen van je ooms en tantes, nieces en nephews zijn de kinderen van je broers en zussen.

Back on topic. 10183 is a great choice. There's another topic here with links to the building instructions. Of course trying to build the models just from the box/poster pictures would be even more challenging ;-)

I also second that set being a fantastic purchase. As beautiful as Emerald Night is (which I also have), the Hobby Train is much more about just building your own models, and indeed the something like 30 models suggested (I'm not sure when, if ever, I'll be able to take Emerald Night apart or modify it). I'm only starting out in Lego trains myself, but I've found the Hobby Train to be great - it does what it says on the tin, it's a starter kit for building trains!

I just bought RC track though, and from bricklink I bought the RC components (battery box base, motor) which I used in fact to motorise Holiday Train (used the battery box base, cumbersome as it is, camoflagued as a truck of presents, taller than the one in the set).

When I have cash I'd like to get Power Functions kit, though not necessarily for Emerald Night (don't like the way the motor sits in the engine cab).

10183 Hobby Train truly was an underrated set. Even with the beuatiful Swiss Crocodile on my train shelf, I often pull out the box and use a number of remaining parts. The set truly is a great parts pack, I just wish it had some train doors and windows in a few different colors (like black and blue). :wub:

Hi Andre, congratulations on that great purchase!!! I'm also hoping to get my hands on this set soon, but I'm still searching around... 90 EUR on Bricklink looks a bit too steep to me, especially after having splashed out on so many exclusives recently. Where did you get yours?

Btw, if anyone has any ideas where I might be able to find that set at a more normal price, drop me a PM. I'll buy you a beer, promise!

Ameland, dat kom je niet vaak tegen! Mijn familie komt er vandaan, maar ik heb er zelf nooit gewoond. Wel vroeger veel op vakantie geweest, huisje vlak onder de vuurtoren?

Je neefje is trouwens waarschijnlijk je nephew. Cousins zijn de kinderen van je ooms en tantes, nieces en nephews zijn de kinderen van je broers en zussen.

Back on topic. 10183 is a great choice. There's another topic here with links to the building instructions. Of course trying to build the models just from the box/poster pictures would be even more challenging ;-)

I think what house you mean! Under the Lighthouse.

My english is not so good......

Hi Andre, congratulations on that great purchase!!! I'm also hoping to get my hands on this set soon, but I'm still searching around... 90 EUR on Bricklink looks a bit too steep to me, especially after having splashed out on so many exclusives recently. Where did you get yours?

A Dutch selling site called Marktplaats

Btw, if anyone has any ideas where I might be able to find that set at a more normal price, drop me a PM. I'll buy you a beer, promise!

Well the 10183 is becoming very expensive not every body is happy with the new RC system.

I got rails and a travo/apdaptor with the set but some are selling only the set for 80 till 120 euro's (Here in Holland)

And i love Crocodil Locs. An other dream item is the 4551 but it's also expencive. 50-120 for only the locomotive!

Edited by Andre1983nl

Well the 10183 is becoming very expensive not every body is happy with the new RC system.

I got rails and a travo/apdaptor with the set but some are selling only the set for 80 till 120 euro's (Here in Holland)

10183 was a good set but I didn't buy one. It should have been available for longer too.

Quite a few of the parts are those I have already, so it wasn't worth it.

I like the wealth of ideas though - great for encouraging more AFOL train fans.

I think it could have sold more if we had known more about the change to PF trains and the fact that 10183 was compatible with all train electric systems.

The new PF system requires changes to the ways trains are built and operated. It takes time to adapt.

- Accommodate the battery box and IR receiver in the train. Reduces flexibility but it's better than RC trains.

- Cope with a bit less motor power and less speed (7.4V rather than 9V). Maybe more train motors required, then more wires.

- See whether to power the train via uneven red belts from steam engine driving wheels (makes the EN rock and roll) or whether to use a train motor under the tender. Tricks of gearing to co-ordinate the two if you use a combination.

- Make the battery box removable from the train and have 2 per track circuit for a set of trains, to save on expensive batteries. Charge one whilst the other runs a train, then swap over. Might need a 3rd one due to charging time.

- Overcome the 4-channel limit by cascading IR receivers, but this reduces voltage by 0.2V.

- Add PF lights (better than previous systems).

There is much testing of the new PF system to be done before enough people in the community will be confident to exhibit with it.

I've ordered the EN, train remote, battery and charger to test it, both on its own and against a prototype, but also from a hybrid engine point of view (running on 9V tracks with 9V motors).

Mark

Hello,

I would recommend either starting with a 9V or RC system.

9V is more user friendly and is generally well liked. However becoming rare now and the metal track is more expensive.

If you want to purchase some 9V items an excellent site is Bricklink

Now if you would like Cheaper and easier to get than RC is the way to go.

There are two trains to choose from, the Passenger Train 7897.

Which is basically a starter kit.

There is a deluxe starter kit to say, the Cargo Train 7898

Which comes with more track and more train parts and extras.

A little more expensive but worth it.

Hope this helps :classic: