Eilif

Glass Truck

indexed.gif V-LC-03E

Skip to page 2 for the final verison

Here's a little something I built yesterday. I saw one on the road, and knew I'd have to build one for Brickington Island. After my logging truck, I thought it would be nice to have more vehicles that would represent other businesses and services on the island, so this fits the bill nicely.

Streetside view

glass_truck_side.jpg

From the front. I'm not completely satisfied with this yet. I like the printed brick, but it seems a bit small, and perhaps brick built detailing might look better. Suggestions or comments would be much appreciated!

glass_truck_front.jpg

Rear view. I may change the black jumper plate to a yellow one. Not sure yet.

glass_truck_rear.jpg

Open view. Most glass trucks around here seem to have fixed sides, so I don't think this is a "realistic" feature, but I like it for playability and for access to the inner glass racks.

glass_truck_open.jpg

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results. This is one of those projects where the old style clip hinges were key. I tried the new varieties of hinges, but they were too bulky to be convincnig on a 4-wide. Also, I had planned to make more 6 wide trucks, but this 4 wide seemed to built it'self, and glass trucks are often pretty small, so it should fit in with Brickingtons 4-wide cars and 6-wide trucks.

As I mentioned, I'm definitely open to suggestions as I think there is room for improvement, especially in the front and cab area which look pretty generic.

Edited by Phred

This is not my favourite of your vehicles, though it is nice. I personally am not a fan of the flat face of the truck. When I came into this thread I was assuming that it'd be something along the lines of this, with the more pick-up truck style cab. I also think that if you are going to keep the flat cab, work out brick built lights and grille, and get rid of the 1x2 plates with rail. The back looks great, though, and I await to see how you improve on this.

I have to agree with Ricecracker unfortunately. The flat front really isn't working for me. However on a brighter note the way you have arranged the glass panels looks really good.

However on a brighter note the way you have arranged the glass panels looks really good.

Definitely. The way you've arranged it, and the pieces you used make the back look great.

Really nice^^ I love how it opens to have an access to the glasses!

I think you all may be right about the front printed brick not working. Perhaps it would help if I showed the vehicle that I based it on, a Mitsubishi FUSO truck.

glass1.jpg

Looking at the picture again, perhaps the windshield could be replaced with a pair of 1x2x2 trans-clear panels as well...

Edited by Eilif

Based on that picture (and truck), your truck seems a bit small. Yours reminds me of this Suzuki:

ats50449_japanese_kei_truck01_01.jpg

Perhaps make the truck larger, and it may look better.

I really like the idea :thumbup: , and the truck design is nice too, excepting maybe the front but if you're yourself planning another one I have no criticisms to make :grin::wink:

This is a very usefull piece of macheniray to any town. Now some kids playing football or soccer in the streets and he is open for business.

You would be amazed what kids will do for 5 bucks with the combination ball/ window :laugh:

I have to agree on the front; make it brickbuild. then the "bumper"will fit more nicely.

For the rest: a big :thumbup:

Nice work. The only thing I don't like is the rubberbands holding on the panes. I know they come in sets and are, therefore official parts, but they just don't seem very Lego-y to me.

Steve

This is so smart and cool! I would never even think of creating something like this, but I see them all the time on Chicago streets. Great work. I really like all of your stuff, it has a unique Eilif signature to it. This is so great, even if it is 4-wide. :tongue:

I like your truck the way it is! And it is 4-wide! :wub: I can't remember when I last saw a 4-wide truck! What I find fantastic in particular is your use of those yellow hinges.

Based on that picture (and truck), your truck seems a bit small. Yours reminds me of this Suzuki:

Perhaps make the truck larger, and it may look better.

At 4 wide, I don't see the truck getting much larger. However, you did just give me an idea for using the front piece for an even smaller model of a "kei" truck like that suzuki.

Nice work. The only thing I don't like is the rubberbands holding on the panes. I know they come in sets and are, therefore official parts, but they just don't seem very Lego-y to me.

Steve

At the time I couldn't think of anythingbetter, but I just had a brainstorm. Check back later this evening...

This is so smart and cool! I would never even think of creating something like this, but I see them all the time on Chicago streets. Great work. I really like all of your stuff, it has a unique Eilif signature to it. This is so great, even if it is 4-wide. :tongue:

Thanks. If it makes you feel better you can measure it as 6.5 wide based on the rack edges. :tongue:

Thanks. If it makes you feel better you can measure it as 6.5 wide based on the rack edges. :tongue:

Hmmm...that offers no consolation, but thank you anyway. :tongue:

i like it :thumbup: you should make the cab 6 wide though. i think that the folding feature of the glass holders is actually on real trucks (i dont know either)

4 wide or 6 wide...this is a great idea. Like Hinckley stated, these are all over the place. Way to go Eilif, this looks great. The glass racks look super. Really fits into that Classic Town theme!

All right, everyone, thanks for your helpful suggestions and constructive criticisms. Here's the final version. Sorry about the yellowed pics. I didn't have anymore daylight to photograph in.

Here's the front. I'm definitely glad I went with the consensus and opted for brick-built features rather than the printed bricks I had chosen before. I decided to keep the gray stripe and the bumper.

glass_truck_front_final.jpg

Here's a profile. I added a gas cap, and while I didn't enlarge it much, I thought about what was said about making it bigger, and made it the cab one plate taller and added a vent to the top. That, along with the new grate, does make it look bigger, and it's well worth it I think. Also, even though most retainers on glass trucks are vertical, I still think the new horizontal window retainers look much more realistic than the earlier rubber band version. Thanks Athos.

glass_truck_left_final.jpg

Here's the back. I went to all yellow, and added the stay back sign. Since these pictures were taken, I replaced the 1x1 plates at the ends of the crossbeams (16 in all) with 1x1 round plates. It really makes them look less bulky.

glass_truck_rear_final.jpg

Opening it up, here are the new interior window racks rather than rubber bands

glass_truck_rear_open_final.jpg

Turning it on end you can see how using the 5 stud 1x1 bricks leaves studs poking out that help to keep the windows in place. Also, the rubber bands on the back of the main racks provide just enough pressure to hold the windows in place.

glass_truck_top_open_final.jpg

I'm still going to make a couple kei trucks, but I'll make a separate topic for them later. Thanks again for all your input.

Edited by Eilif

Looks better, but I'm not digging the second (Top) gray stripe on the cab, or the yield sign on the back. Maybe try keeping the stripe yellow? Now that you have the brickbuilt lights, the 1x2 plates with rail are acceptable :tongue: . Other than those two minor nitpicks, you've done an astounding job for a 1 day build, 1 day refine.

Cute, clean, fun. Not a "ZOMG this is awesome" style MOC, but it's not bad in any regard at all! It's fairly nice!

The redone front is a really nice addition to it as well!

thats much better :thumbup: i like that you changed the rubberbands, eventhough it looked more realistic. that 1x2 black jumper piece shouldve stayed black IMO

I like the design, except the front of the truck... O I see the final version now! This one is great!!

Edited by Er!k