Sign in to follow this  
Shoc

Giant Pharaoh 'minifig' statue

indexed.gif

Last night I was experimenting with SNOT techniques to make a large Lego head, and the experiment soon turned into a giant statue of a minifigure!

I present to you, the statue of the great king Ramagodt (guess where I godt the name from)! :tongue:

dsc02009.jpg

dsc02011.jpg

dsc02012.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments welcome!

:skull:

Hahah. I cant stop laughing! I love his goofy face. Very Lego-ish, But I think you should bulid him from a profile, like on the old herogliphs.

Really cool. Even though it looks a little too happy and smiley, you could build a giant seen of the inside of a Mummy's tomb with torches and a coffin and some explorers. :tongue:

That's very creative Shoc! I must say that I like this a lot, especially the hieroglyphic pieces you put in.

Thats a very original idea, and the result looks great! Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I'll try. :tongue:

Hahah. I cant stop laughing! I love his goofy face. Very Lego-ish, But I think you should bulid him from a profile, like on the old herogliphs.

Nah, it's meant to be a statue built into a wall, and they were generally forward-facing. This is my inspiration.

This is a fun one! Nice job. I like the face as well.

Here's a shot of a larger one in Legoland:

Linky

I saw that before. I think it was subconciously inspiring me. :tongue:

Really cool. Even though it looks a little too happy and smiley, you could build a giant seen of the inside of a Mummy's tomb with torches and a coffin and some explorers. :tongue:

Maybe, though not this one as it's thouroughly built into the wall. And why can't a king be happy and smiley? :wink:

That's very creative Shoc! I must say that I like this a lot, especially the hieroglyphic pieces you put in.

Thank you! I nearly didn't put the heiroglyph pieces in, but I thought it would add to the atmosphere of it.

Not bad! Very good work on the coloring! :thumbup:

Thanks! Yes, it took me a while to get all the right pieces together so it worked well. I can't believe I managed to find the all the right pieces in one night, and only using two Lego boxes (I have dozens of boxes of Lego)!

I like this, a nice idea and nicely executed.

But I have my doubts about the beard he has. Pharaoh's had a skinny long beard, bound together with tiny ropes.

Great work anyway! :thumbup:

Thanks! Yes, it took me a while to get all the right pieces together so it worked well. I can't believe I managed to find the all the right pieces in one night, and only using two Lego boxes (I have dozens of boxes of Lego)!

Ever thought of sorting :wink::grin:

But I have my doubts about the beard he has. Pharaoh's had a skinny long beard, bound together with tiny ropes.

I know, but I just built this from vague memory, and it looks more minifiggy with a thicker beard. Anyway, I'm sure there must have been at least one pharaoh before with a thick beard. :tongue:

Ever thought of sorting :wink:

I've actually done quite a bit of Lego sorting recently, but I don't have anywhere near enough time to sort it all!

That's a really nice statue you've made there, shoc. Although I also like the bigger LEGOland version of course!

But yours is very inventive, partswise then, so congrats with your work :thumbup: .

That's a really nice statue you've made there, shoc. Although I also like the bigger LEGOland version of course!

Thanks, and me too, I look forward to seeing the Legoland Windsor one when I go there soon! :sweet:

But yours is very inventive, partswise then, so congrats with your work :thumbup: .

Thank you. You wouldn't believe the amount of behind the scenes meddling I had to do to get it just right, especially with the SNOT chin and beard! :tongue:

A very nice statue :thumbup: But the Pharoah looks too happy

Can your posts possibly have some depth?

I like the way you built it, and even the background gives it a real-feel. Except for the smiliey but I still like it with a smile. Great work.

Haha, that's awesome man! I love it, although now you need to build a series and incorporate it into a huge temple entrance! :grin::wink:

A very nice statue :thumbup: But the Pharoah looks too happy

Thanks. What is all this about the pharaoh being too happy though, why can't a king be happy?! :tongue:

Can your posts possibly have some depth?

:grin:

Haha, that's awesome man! I love it, although now you need to build a series and incorporate it into a huge temple entrance! :grin::wink:

Thank you, and yes that would be cool, I'm thinking of building another one, though maybe not quite the same. I may make a slightly smaller version or something like that, I'll see. :thumbup:

that's a very nice "happy pharaoh"! ^^ I like it , I love his smiles ^^

that's a very nice "happy pharaoh"! ^^ I like it , I love his smiles ^^

Thank you. Finally some appreciation for the smile! :classic:

I like the style, but indeed the smile... :classic:

Thanks. I like your poem too! :tongue:

That is great! Really fun.

I think that his gleeful-ever-so-slightly-eerie smiling is very appropriate. Without it, he just wouldn't capture the part of the integral essence of the immutability of the minifig face. Remember the days when minifigs only smiled?

One small criticism: while the smile is good, it does not portray the rotundity of a minifig. It is too flat, hieroglyphs are, as far as I'm aware, more 3D-shapely-representative.

That is great! Really fun.

Thanks!

that his gleeful-ever-so-slightly-eerie smiling is very appropriate. Without it, he just wouldn't capture the part of the integral essence of the immutability of the minifig face. Remember the days when minifigs only smiled?

Yep, I really wanted it to look like a minifigure rather than a vaguely minifig-like statue..

One small criticism: while the smile is good, it does not portray the rotundity of a minifig. It is too flat, hieroglyphs are, as far as I'm aware, more 3D-shapely-representative.

Heiroglyphs are 2D pictures. :tongue:

He's meant to be more like an image protruding form the wall than a completely accurate clone of a minfigure, and there was no way to make him look round and sleek at the same time, it may have spoiled the effect.

Heiroglyphs are 2D pictures. :tongue:

He's meant to be more like an image protruding form the wall than a completely accurate clone of a minfigure, and there was no way to make him look round and sleek at the same time, it may have spoiled the effect.

I beg to differ:

temple-hieroglyphs-517201-sw.jpg

tut_glyphs.jpg

Admittedly, only 2D is still legitimate for small hieroglyphics (though not usual, I think on large sections...).

But you're probably right. It might have just been attempting too much and achieving little, it's effective. It'd be great as a quirky part of a giant Egyptian tomb for the adventurers to get trapped in. That smile would really give them the heebie jeebies.