Sign in to follow this  
JimBee

Z09 Light Cargo Transport

indexed.gif

The Z09 was used for many years throughout the galaxy, sometime between Darth Maul's discovery and the end of the Empire. It is used to quickly transport crates of goods from one place to the next. It can hover for short distances, and is meant for on-planet transportation. The two green flaps on the front can open to brake, close to accelerate, turn left to turn the vehicle left, and turn right to turn the vehicle right. There are some of these that have been commandeered by smugglers and pirates to transport drugs and black market items. However, this is an official government transport, as you can see that it is unarmed.

Top/ Overall View

3320376924_55c8f388d0_o.jpg

Left Side

3319548285_c5b9bde047_o.jpg

Right Side

3320376336_f1d547215c_o.jpg

Front

3320376632_551ed975e4_o.jpg

Back

3319547969_7aeb1ac731_o.jpg

I made this using parts only from the Jungle Cutter set, minus the windshield, rear lights, nose pieces, and the bley box.

Also, please visit my Flickr set for more pictures.

Thanks for looking, and feedback is appreciated. :classic:

Very well done. The colour scheme is good, and it looks pretty sleek. Good job, and I wish you luck in the voting. :thumbup:

I applaud you for basically using one set, and getting such a nice design. Stilll, I would make it a little more colorful, as it looks slightly bland.

jifel

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. :classic:

Since you mostly used peices from the Jungle Cutter, I'll applaud that. However, I would try making the cargo area larger, maybe for two crates.

Good job, good start.

Thanks. The cargo can hold up to three crates, I just put one in so that you could see the ship better. :wink:

This looks very nice already! :thumbup: Very smooth and detailed. I don't see anything that's heavily wrong with it. However, I do have some suggestions.

Considering that the purpose of this vehicle is it to transport cargo, the vehicle's design defeats its purpose as the cargo area is smaller than the cockpit. I would make it 2 studs wider so that it can hold twice the amount of crates.

Also, the cockpit kinda looks like a big block. Adding some more details like an antenna on the roof or something might help. And for this purpose, I would reconsider adding some guns to it. Guns always make a vehicle more interesting, and after all, even a government vehicle needs protection at times, especially during war. Or maybe you could add some small engines to the sides (like on a speeder) or some small wings (like on the desert skiff)?

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Overall a nice MOC, but I would agree with others who have said there should be a little more cargo space. I really like the cockpit design, but the cargo area could use a little bit more protection or just be built up a brick more, so that the cargo can't fall out.

I don't think it needs any guns. I see this as the standard Cargo Transport not belonging to anyone specifically, and if some traders got it they could add guns, but this doesn't need it (correct me if I'm wrong).

Still, even without any changes it looks pretty good!

This looks very nice already! :thumbup: Very smooth and detailed. I don't see anything that's heavily wrong with it. However, I do have some suggestions.

Considering that the purpose of this vehicle is it to transport cargo, the vehicle's design defeats its purpose as the cargo area is smaller than the cockpit. I would make it 2 studs wider so that it can hold twice the amount of crates.

Also, the cockpit kinda looks like a big block. Adding some more details like an antenna on the roof or something might help. And for this purpose, I would reconsider adding some guns to it. Guns always make a vehicle more interesting, and after all, even a government vehicle needs protection at times, especially during war. Or maybe you could add some small engines to the sides (like on a speeder) or some small wings (like on the desert skiff)?

Thanks, Oky. :classic: I will try to make the cargo space bigger and add some engines and whatnot. However, Clone O'Patra basically has my same thoughts on having weapons on the ship:

I don't think it needs any guns. I see this as the standard Cargo Transport not belonging to anyone specifically, and if some traders got it they could add guns, but this doesn't need it (correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks to you, to. :classic: I'll try to build up that cargo space.

You still need the full top view picture.

"Bird's eye" is the codeword

It's too late for the first version, but I did for the new and improved one. Based on reactions, I'll decide which version I should use in the contest. If I end up using the old one, I'll change it back and take a bird's eye view shot.

So, here is the new Z09 Light (not so much now?) Cargo Transport.

Overview

3326228625_b715bb29dc_o.jpg

Front

3326228369_e278166fb6_o.jpg

Right Side

3326228111_f71481f0a4_o.jpg

Left Side

3327065658_91c7ca98e8_o.jpg

Back

3326227581_9de6838865_o.jpg

3327065108_43f209eab1_o.jpg

The main differences between the old and new versions are in the middle. In the new version, I switched around and added some dark green bricks, removed one (of two) "engine" pieces, and sort of "fused" the windshield area into the cargo protection (dark green bricks). The cargo area can now hold a whopping 6 small boxes, or two large crates. It also looks more armored now due to the extra layer of bricks added to prevent the cargo from falling out, so adding weapons and changing the ship's origin and/or purpose is a possibility.

More pictures of both versions are in my Flickr set.

Yes! This look much better now! :thumbup:

Somehow, I still think it could use some details on the roof, but that's just me, and I'm just being nit-picky. :wink:

Good job!

Hi Jim, I love what you have created, however I would like to see you try placing the dark green angled plates underneath the base angled about 45 degrees, this might make for a sleek hover type look.

Its up to you, as its still a great creation.

Cheers

Thanks, ISC and Oky Wan. :classic:

Oky Wan, I did add some detailing to the roof, but it took away from the sleek look of the ship, so I removed them. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

ISC, do you mean angled by using hinge bricks? And by putting the bricks on the bottom, that will leave the cargo space wide open. But, I will certainly take this suggestion into mind. Thanks. :classic:

I think hinging would be the best way to go.

Here is the roughest of front on Pics

front.jpg

You could alternatively angle the plates outwards as well.

It may look hopeless, but I thought it might enhance the hovering nature of the vehicle.

Ah, thanks for the sketch. I get it now. One thing that I may try to do with this idea of yours is to have the hinge pieces attached to the plate (bottom or top, it doesn't matter), and have the connecting hinge piece in the middle of the slope pieces. That way, the cargo is protected, and the ship captures that hover-like vibe by having "fins". Here is a quick sketch:

3334273840_5cf3f92d0d_o.jpg

The grey represents the plate, which the black hinges are attached to. The connecting hinges (not shown) are on the green slopes, in the middle.

Good entry JB.

Make sure you've got the right pictures in the first post, since the only thing that counts come Thursday is what you've posted in that one.