Sign in to follow this  
Blakbird

Review: 8260 Tractor

This lovely little tractor is one of the new 2009 sets.

The packaging:

8260 has 104 pieces and comes in a small box. The secondary model is a motorcycle. The images below show the front and the back.

8260_1.jpg

8260_2.jpg

For some reason, the main model comes in two booklets but the secondary model is in only one. I don't know why such a small model has two books.

8260_3.jpg

The new parts:

The new parts include a new bucket. It is very similar to the one in 8418 but bigger.

The wheels and tires are new. The rear seem to be a direct replacement for the Model Team wheels that have been in production forever. Not sure why they chose to replace them, but the new ones are very nice. The front wheels seem to be a replacement for some that have been around for 30+ years.

8260_4.jpg

The model:

This little tractor looks pretty good. It is one of a very few light green parts, the same as the recent large tractor and combine.

8260isosmall.jpg

8260_5.jpg

The features:

The bucket raises using a worm gear driven from the rear. The bucket can tilt on click hinges.

8260_6.jpg

The verdict:

This is a good model for it's size, and a good intro for anyone to Technic. It has quite a few parts. I like it a lot. It is extremely similar in size and style to 8281, but a different green.

8260_8.jpg

Edited by Blakbird

This looks like a fun little set. I slightly prefer the older tractor's function, but the worm-powered bucket here is a good one too.

The lime is getting old. Fast. 8281 was a great set because it was normal green, a color not seen on a TECHNIC set since like '99. I bought two of those, and I haven't even thought about getting a 8260.

I´ve got the older little technic tractor in green.

The only thing I dislike in the new one: Why didn´t TLC use lime 1x4 technic plates instead of white ones? :hmpf_bad:

I´ve got the older little technic tractor in green.

The only thing I dislike in the new one: Why didn´t TLC use lime 1x4 technic plates instead of white ones? :hmpf_bad:

Probably because they were trying to make it match 8284. They seem to be carrying more matching themes from year to year these days.

8284isosmall.jpg

This will probably be the set I buy most of this year due to the new rear wheels, but I can't quite see the reason why it is 25% more expensive than the old tractor when they are nearly identical in size and functionality.

The looks with the low placed lights is a bit off, and using a click hinge is again an example of Technic-functions not fully done (see the telescopic handler from last year and blue truck from 2007 with handles on their lifting arms).

If only Pneumatic was cheaper :cry_happy:

ready.jpg_thumb.jpg

Edit

The rear seem to be a direct replacement for the Model Team wheels that have been in production forever. Not sure why they chose to replace them, but the new ones are very nice.

I can tell you why.

The old Model Team wheels did not pass the internal JK-test, which is used to keep the brick up to a certain standard, which I currently don't know more about, but this is the reason.

The old Model Team wheels will never be seen in LEGO models again. The ones you see on new model (Such as certain SW sets) are different, missing the ring to hold tires and having a different pattern on the front.

Edited by Lasse D

I can tell you why.

The old Model Team wheels did not pass the internal JK-test, which is used to keep the brick up to a certain standard, which I currently don't know more about, but this is the reason.

The old Model Team wheels will never be seen in LEGO models again. The ones you see on new model (Such as certain SW sets) are different, missing the ring to hold tires and having a different pattern on the front.

Thanks for the information. The Model Team wheels have been around for a long time (in Technic as well), and I will miss them, but I miss all of Model Team. 5571 is hard to beat. I never found any problem with the design of these wheels, so I wonder what the problem was.

Speaking of Model Team and you, I wanted to mention that your Coca Cola truck MOC is absolutely beautiful, both aesthetically and technically. Models like this exemplify why I love LEGO. If for some reason you ever find yourself unemployed and have a lot of free time, I would love to have enough information to replicate it. In fact, I'd feature on Technicopedia if I could.

I can tell you why.

Well, at least they had a good run of over 15 years.

I wonder what that test is supposed to cover. Those wheels were not known for breaking or any other quality problems (as opposed to some other wheels I can think of). They came with the tires pre-attached though, unlike most other types of wheels, and the tires were hard to remove. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Thanks for the information. The Model Team wheels have been around for a long time (in Technic as well), and I will miss them, but I miss all of Model Team. 5571 is hard to beat. I never found any problem with the design of these wheels, so I wonder what the problem was.

Speaking of Model Team and you, I wanted to mention that your Coca Cola truck MOC is absolutely beautiful, both aesthetically and technically. Models like this exemplify why I love LEGO. If for some reason you ever find yourself unemployed and have a lot of free time, I would love to have enough information to replicate it. In fact, I'd feature on Technicopedia if I could.

Thanks, but I doubt I will ever get so much free time again - to build something that big in MLCad takes weeks :oh:

There will soon be a new truck which should get a CAD-file, but that can first be after LEGO World.

Regarding the wheel, I think it has to be about how the tire is attached. It is very hard to take it off for a child - I had to have my mother help me taking the wheels apart for the secondary model of 5590 back in 1991 :tongue:

The tires are softer on the later models, but perhaps it isn't enough?

I don't think the tires were originally intended to be removed at all, especially since they came pre-attached to the wheels. The 5590 alternate model is one of the very few places where you had to take them off. (on a side note, I never understood what that model was supposed to be :tongue:)

I don't think the tires were originally intended to be removed at all, especially since they came pre-attached to the wheels. The 5590 alternate model is one of the very few places where you had to take them off. (on a side note, I never understood what that model was supposed to be :tongue:)

Most of the Model Team wheels and tires which I got MISB did not come pre-attached. I had to put them together. I'm guessing the reason for the change is that the center hole of a Model Team wheel was round and not a cross, so you couldn't lock it to the axle (it spun freely). There were ways to attach it using the wedge belt wheel and some 1/2 pins, but I think they were moving away from that.

Thanks, but I doubt I will ever get so much free time again - to build something that big in MLCad takes weeks :oh:

Then just mail the model to me and I will build the MLCAD file for you! :grin:

Most of the Model Team wheels and tires which I got MISB did not come pre-attached. I had to put them together. I'm guessing the reason for the change is that the center hole of a Model Team wheel was round and not a cross, so you couldn't lock it to the axle (it spun freely). There were ways to attach it using the wedge belt wheel and some 1/2 pins, but I think they were moving away from that.

That is interesting. I have had about 10 MISB sets that included these wheels and they all came with the tires pre-attached. I've never actually seen a set where they were originally separated. Do you know what years your sets were made in? The manufacture date is the only discrepancy I can think of, as mine all happen to be from 1990 onward.

Edited by CP5670

That is interesting. I have had about 10 MISB sets that included these wheels and they all came with the tires pre-attached. I've never actually seen a set where they were originally separated. Do you know what years your sets were made in? The manufacture date is the only discrepancy I can think of, as mine all happen to be from 1990 onward.

Sadly, I can't recall for certain which sets they were in. It may be that they were packaged differently in Technic sets than they were in Model Team sets.