KAFX

Custom Republic Gunship

indexed.gif

Custom Republic Gunship

This is my first attempt at a post on Eurobricks. I am a long-time lurker, and it is high time I posted some MOCs.

I started on a quest two years ago to build an economic Republic Gunship. I gave the original as a present to my son when it came out, and there was no new Lego model on the horizon. I spent a lot of time on Bricklink looking for just the right parts and began to order components. My goals were minimize the piece count and cost, make the RGS lighter, make a more accurate-looking RGS and take more advantage of the empty space. Here are the results:

front.jpg

side_full.jpg

I studied various sources such as the Incredible Cross-Sections and Episode II to get the appropriate side slopes, wing span and height. I used a single boat piece (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=30254) as the bottom of the RGS. It was hard to find, but helps achieve the piece count/weight goals.

port.jpg

starboard.jpg

I used a wide arch for the forward section so a minifigure would fit comfortably. The troop section ends under the middle of the wing instead of extending too far back as in the Clone Wars RGS.

troop_hold.jpg

side_closeup.jpg

Above the troop hold, I tried to free up the interior of the RGS for cargo or other purposes. It always seemed a shame to me to fill up all of that space.

cargo_doors.jpg

I paid particular attention to the cockpit. I wanted to make the cockpit functional with a pass-through to the lower compartment as described in Incredible Cross-Sections.

open_cockpit.jpg

The pilot sits on a 2x2 platform at the front, and can squeeze through a 2x3 opening below.

cockpit_entrance.jpg

There is a removable section at the front that can be used to place troops or supplies in the front section. At some point I may look at redesigning this to function like the Clone Wars RGS with a more elegant opening function.

removable_panel.jpg

Another feature that absorbed my attention was an attempt to redesign the mass-drivers. Both Lego RGS used a 4x4 cylinder size. I attempted to reduce this using the Horizontal Cylinder 3 x 6 x 2 2/3 (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=30360). This was readily available in dark red and white, and allows for alternating coloring with the 3x2 cutouts. It sits lower to the wings and tighter to the body of the RGS as in the movies.

top.jpg

The rear sports another turret and my non-decal version of the engines.

rear.jpg

A rear hatch closes near the mechanism for opening the side doors. The mechanism is similar to the new retail RGS.

rear_hatch_closed.jpg

The hatch folds down to reveal another MOC in the form of a BARC speeder. The RGS needed something lighter and more accurate than the Turbo Tank version.

rear_hatch_open.jpg

speeder_compartment.jpg

The BARC speeder uses the custom pieces from the Turbo Tank model, but is designed to fit the RGS hatch and to be more appropriately scaled to minifigures.

speeder.jpg

speeder_front.jpg

A final view of the RGS from overhead:

open_doors.jpg

I had enough parts to build four, and here are three complete RGS with some other MOCs:

fleet.jpg

The JSF and Forward Command Center could occupy their own topics, so I will quit while I am ahead.

jsf.jpg

forward_command_center.jpg

Thanks to Arealight for the awesome custom helmets! :tongue:

That is one of the best try at a moc gunship I have seen. :thumbup: Keep it up!

EDIT: Whoa! YOU HAVE THREE!!!!!!!! :wub:

Edited by Jammiedodger714

Thank you. By using a few key pieces, I was able to make several while keeping the price low. I was glad to have the pieces on hand - with the economic crunch I used them as Christmas presents for my sons.

Thank you. By using a few key pieces, I was able to make several while keeping the price low. I was glad to have the pieces on hand - with the economic crunch I used them as Christmas presents for my sons.

Awwww. That is very nice of you! :thumbup::classic: Did they like them?

Awwww. That is very nice of you! :thumbup::classic: Did they like them?

They loved them. I need a full-time maintenance crew to keep them repaired.

Awesomeness!! I love how the pilots can get out of the cockpits like that. and is that Ki-Adi-Mundi?

On the other hand, I think the cockpits are a bit lacking in detail, although I thought that the cockpits were far away from the nose, closer to the top. Can anyone provide a reference photo?

Wow that is the greatest gunship i've ever seen! Then when I thoght the impossible coudnt happen and it did! Three RGS's Amazin your good! :thumbup::classic: :classic:

Wow! Great design! I love the cockpits, where the figure can 'get out' of the bottom. The forward command center also looks very nice! Great job on all of those MOC's, and I envy you for your Kashyyyk troopers.

Very economical. It is definitely different than the official Lego one. I would try looking for stickers or other bricks to add some detail, as well as maybe the ball turrets. It is a good start, but personally I think it needs a bit more pizzaz. Also, great forward command.

That is perhaps the best BARC speeder MOC I have seen. You really have captured the shape of the real speed with the utmost accuracy. I would love to see a trooper on it though :classic:

this sir, has got to be one of the more refreshing mods of the RGS. it looks almost like the hasbro one without all the fluff. =)

The gunships are very cool and you have 3! I also like the command center with all those troopers.

Edited by BRICKLANTA

Wow, great job!

Which piece did you use for the bottom of the commando area, it's quite a nice idea!

The Forward Command Center was built using two of these. They fit together nicely with some regular bricks to hold them together. For the flooring in the gap I used this.

I need a full-time maintenance crew to keep them repaired.

What about the economic crisis? :tongue:

Two things mak this awesome.

The first is the size and accuratre detail.

The second is that you had enough pieces for four. Make a battle scene, I beg you. That would be so cool.

Very nice, I'm actually interested in how you did your JSF there, that looks pretty good.

I will break the JSF down and get some photos for a follow-up topic.

WOW!!

I'll take 1... :grin:

Those are awesome.

I seriously respect your building abilities.

The only thing I don't like is how barebones the speeder is.

But how in the world can you build 4 of those?

Oh, and how much did one cost?

WOW Your REALLY good :oh:

and you obviously have a few custom Arealight helmets :oh::wub: very nice Forward Command Center as well :wub:

can I be your son for next christmas :tongue:

they are VERY VERY LUCKY they have a DAD like You!! :sweet:

CommanderFox