48 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

Hello everyone, today I will be reviewing the 6211 Imperial Star Destroyer. At first glance, it may just seem like a bunch of plates thrown together, but it is in fact, much, much more. First of all, this may very likely be one of the largest Lego Star Wars sets ever, size-wise and piece-wise. Additionally, you'll find that this has great playability and a wide variety of minifigs.

3094486144_6e2186dbc4_o.jpg

Set Name: 6211 Imperial Star Destroyer

Number of Pieces: 1367

Number of Minifigures: 9

Price: 99.99 USD/ 79.99 EUR/ ??.?? GBP

Theme: Star Wars- Classic

Year Released: 2006

Brickset

Bricklink Catalog

Now, on to the review.

Box

3149186328_4ce4f2b388_o.jpg

Back of Box

3149186336_f5a1c3f946_o.jpg

The box is a little different than most Star Wars boxes, with a section on the front showing all nine figs, and play features and alternate models shown on the back. The alternate models are a T-16 Skyhopper and a disc-shaped ship that appears to be the Millennium Falcon. Even though no instructions are given for these models in the set, here are links to the online instructions (Model B1, Model B2) and I encourage you to give it a shot if you like. Additionally, the poly bags are numbered, and only have to be opened and built as the instructions tell you. This makes building go a lot faster and become much more enjoyable rather than sifting through hundreds of pieces each time you need that certain piece. This is also helpful if you want to divide up your building process over a few days.

Instruction Booklets- Front

3152929604_d977235854_o.jpg

The fronts of the two manuals are identical very simple- just the box art and text telling you if you have "Book 1" or "Book 2"

Instruction Booklets- Back

3149186348_eed0404734_o.jpg

The back of Book 1 (left) shows the Jabba's Sail Barge set, which was also released in 2006. The back of Book 2 (right) shows an advertisement for the Lego Club.

Instruction Booklets- Random Page

3149186358_469f9895ce_o.jpg

This is a random page of Book 2. As you can see, the manual has bag call-outs, pieces call-outs, step-by-step instructions, and the usual dummy guide (don't shoot those flick-fire missiles at your eye!) :tongue:.

Exterior- Overview

3126253373_0b5d867563_o.jpg

3071399399_9748a883f6_o.jpg

Here's an overview of the outside panels, which can be flipped down to reveal the interior (more on that later). Note the two sets of guns on either side (four total), which can rotate a full 360 degrees and move up and down. Also note the center guns and the two guns on the bridge, plus the flick fire missiles on each side. That's 8 rare green lightsaber blades on the ship, plus two extra!

Flick-fire Missiles

3146755116_a82fa2a1a9_o.jpg

Here's a close-up of the flick-fire missiles. There's a pretty clever technique here that uses a black "cheese" slope connected to a Technic bar. If you push the bar in, the cheese slope in turn pushes the trans-green bar out. The missiles only fly a few inches at best, but it was still a clever idea on TLG's part.

Main Operations Room

3094606298_f9af582aae_o.jpg

As you can see, the iconic Star Destroyer has that famous bridge on top, complete with "magic orb" pieces used as the energy spheres. There is a decent amount of greebling here, including the radio tower (?) on the very top. Also note the triangle shaped windows, which aren't air-tight, but this is a very minor complaint. Yes, that piece near the base of the bridge has a sticker on it...

Back of bridge- Closed

3145103421_2fe6693921_o.jpg

Here you see the back of the bridge. Nothing special here except for a bit of greebling. But can't you get minifigs into the control room? And what's with the obnoxious red pieces?

Back of bridge- Open

3094606956_c41f4b9c60_o.jpg

Ah-ha! So the control room can open! That red windsheild piece is simply there so that it's easier to find the spot you're supposed to open the room with. The top and back slide down incredibly easily, with a very smooth Technic mechanism and the help of some tile pieces. So how is the interior? Well...

Control room

3094607144_364bdc35a9_o.jpg

The control room is detailed enough, and has room enough for two or three figures. The two control panels and the two wall controls are, unfortunately, stickers.

Lifting Bridge

3094607376_1845339e21_o.jpg

So you remember that picture of the back of the bridge, with the two red pieces? I already showed you the use of one of the pieces, so what's the other one for? Well, if you gently pull it up, nothing happens. But if you sort of force it, the you will hear a snapping sound, and the bridge will lift up from the rest of the ship! Forcing the red piece (and the Technic mechanism along with it) feels unnatural, and several pieces are likely to break off in the process. :thumbdown: However, you'll find that reattaching the pieces is well worth what's inside...

Bridge Lifting Mechanism

3145970770_0f033853fa_o.jpg

This is the mechanism that allows the bridge to be removed so that you can open the interior. That trans-blue Technic tooth plays a key role in locking the bridge in place. You see, the Technic structure on the bottom of the bridge slides on to the Technic structure shown here, and once you slide it past the blue tooth, the whole thing stays locked in place. However, be warned as it is very likely that several pieces will fall off of the ship at any given stage of using this mechanism.

Interior- Overview

3145971088_bc52acc612_o.jpg

Here's an overview of the back section of the interior. It's detailed enough, but not really airtight. We wouldn't want our precious minifigs to be sucked into the vacuum of space, would we? This isn't a huge problem however, and you shouldn't notice the gaps too much. There are also a ton of playability features, as you'll soon see.

Hologram Transmitter

3145139569_7b6dc3099a_o.jpg

One of the said playability features inside the warship is the hologram transmitter, for Darth Vader and Lord Sidious to communicate with. The pedestal on which Vader kneels to his master is pretty simple, and the random bricks around it seem to be just for detailing.

Lord Sidious Hologram

3145139893_8de0f3ca96_o.jpg

Here is the hologram of the minifigure form of the Emperor himself. Creating the hologram was an ingenious idea on TLG's part, by using two stickers on a trans-blue slate. The stickers are inevitable, but the outcome is worth it. The two stickers (one being a solid image of Sidious, the other being a vertically lined one), are placed on either side of the slate. The combined images of the lined and solid stickers create an optical illusion which makes the image seem 3-D, or like a hologram. Furthermore, the hologram swings down by that white 4L bar and the two 1x1 clips which attach to the hologram.

Vader's Meditation Chamber

3094608400_7955a1c8ca_o.jpg

As you can see, the chamber isn't doing Vader much good, since the air he needs from his helmet is being let out through the gaps in between the flip-down chamber doors! :laugh: I guess he'll just have to keep that helmet on... Anyways, there's a pedestal in front of the chamber that hold's Vader's helmet. If you look above that, you'll notice the claw and its slide attached to the slide-and-lock Technic mechanism. Very innovative way of saving space on TLG's part.

Vader's Helmet

3094609506_9cc2f074ab_o.jpg

So, that claw is used to pick up the helmet from the pedestal, slide over, and then place the helmet on Vader? Neat! It is a cool detail, but you're probably better off just using you hand. The claw, consisting of two handlebar pieces, can't pick up the helmet from the top. It can pick it up from the bottom, though, but flipping the helmet over, attaching the claw, sliding the claw over, detaching the claw, flipping over the helmet, and finally placing the helmet on Vader is way to much hassle for something so small. And then there is also the risk of bumping the sides of the ship with your arm, causing pieces to fall off.

Vader, Ready to Choke!

3145922339_3e6da54d91_o.jpg

Here's the menace himself, ready to choke any officer who proves to be incompetent. :vader:

Weapon's Compartment

3093768057_7396b42b76_o.jpg

I was wondering why Vladik left his armor lying around... The two armor plates slide back on a Technic bar, and reveal two heavy rifles, for the stormtroopers' more destructive missions.

More Interior

3146755190_262291559a_o.jpg

Here's a last glance at the back section of the inside. Note the two white tiles on either side of the front wall, which have control stickers that slightly differ from each other.

Interior- Front

3093769335_20e393a26b_o.jpg

The front section of the interior provides a nice, white color contrast compared to the back's darker colors. The white "armor" pieces on the left and right walls add some detailing. Just like the 6212 X-Wing Fighter, the nose (and the rest of the ship) slant inward, creating a triangle shape, by using those same linking 2x2s as in the X-Wing. These links allow the the the ship some flexibility, and are assisted by the slanted floor plates. You'll also notice that the (still ignited) lightsaber, hung on the back wall, has a chrome hilt, which is definitely a plus. Don't worry, that huge hole in the middle of the floor will be explained very shortly. :wink:

Escape Pod- Storage

3093769641_85ec20e2cd_o.jpg

Here you see the escape pod, ready for blast off. That battering ram- sort of thing at the very front of the ship is used to push the escape pod...

Escape Pod- Blast Off!

3094611000_99f6d14861_o.jpg

...and away it goes! The length of the pod is larger than the hole, but at on an angle, it slides right through. This is definitely a very cool feature, but picking the ship up could result in more pieces breaking off, like I've said before. You may also notice that the hinge mechanisms used to flip the ceiling plates up and down are easily broken away, which only adds to the frustration of breakinng pieces.

Escape Pod- Front

3145992168_40be7dbc94_o.jpg

Here are a few close-ups of the escape pod. Yes, the outside walls are detailed with stickers, unfortunately, but there is some greebling on the top. The front houses two megaphone pieces, which could be periscopes, lasers, or even just communication arrays.

Escape Pod- Back

3094611392_5979ff6bf3_o.jpg

On the back, there are three hyperdrive boosters, used to travel short distances. Nothing really special here, although those trans-blue cylinder pieces may be rare.

Escape Pod- Interior

3094611794_2766eb3aa1_o.jpg

There's nothing inside, although even just a lever would have been nice. It's a tight squeeze, but a minifig can sit up straight in the pod without any headgear, although if you made it lean a bit, the fig could probably fit with headgear.

Hyperdrive Boosters

3145140379_d6466bf169_o.jpg

Lastly, we come to the many hyperdrive boosters on the back of the ship. This is possibly the coolest feature of the whole set, and those blue, clear, and light blue transparent dishes really shine. Just look at them sparkle!

Minifgures

3152929868_d8e929fddf_o.jpg

3152930116_97e7059d2d_o.jpg

3153906054_3bbb8aef62_o.jpg

Finally, we come to the minifigs. There are a total of nine in the set, if you include the mouse droid. Although the red Imperial Guards are supposed to protect the Emperor (and not Vader), they are a wonderful addition. The neat little mouse droid is brick-built, and the black astromech is known as R2-D4. In the re release of this set this year (originally released in 2006), the astro droid's dome head has been printed differently than the original, the stormtoopers have been given blank flesh heads, and the Stormies' helmets have the new printing on them (although the new guns weren't included).

Tarkin & Vader- Close-Ups

3094612218_26ebf5d389_o.jpg

You can see close-ups of Vader and Tarkin here. Tarkin's head is beautifully printed, and I believe that Vader's is a new print. Both look great, and again, Vader has a chrome-hilted lightsaber.

That's just about all for the review, here is the...

FINAL VERDICT

Build: 9/10, has a good balance of complicated and simple building, and is made much more enjoyable and easy due to the numbered bags.

Playability: 8/10, this set has many play features, although some are pretty useless.

Swooshablilty: 3/10, be very, very careful when swooshing this set, and hold it with two hands on the bottom. Don't be surprised if a few pieces fall off.

Minifigs: 9/10, a very diverse selection of minifigs, and all are great additions to your display. Could have maybe included one or two more.

Design: 3/10, some really cool ideas and techniques here, but the overall design was poorly executed. Pieces often fall off with the slightest touch.

Price: 9/10, it depends on when you got/get this set, but if you bought in '06, $200 is a bit much. The price slash to $100 is much more reasonable, and $60 on Black Friday is a steal!

Overall Score: 6.83/10, a very neat set, and one of the largest in Lego Star Wars history. However, the design is poor, and the play features are often a hassle. The figs are good, but the ship is best left to be displayed and rarely bumped or touched.

Well, this has been my final review for the RA, and I feel that I've come a long way since before I joined. I'd like to thank all of the teachers and students who've helped me along the way, and if I pass this final test, hopefully I'll be able to help future and current student's with their own progress in the Academy. :classic:

(Credit to WhiteFang for photoshopping pictures "More Interior", "Flick-Fire Missiles", and "Vader, Ready to Choke!".)

Edited by JimButcher

Very good review, JimButcher! And of such an incredible large set, they are always difficult to do (photo-wise), I remember that from my own reviews of the SES and such (and the 6211 Star Destroyer is even larger!). Anyway I always enjoy reading them.

Congrats with your graduation on the Academy!

What a great review.

Thank you so much for this.

I'll surely add this to the review index.

Sharp photos and loads of comments.

Just the way we like 'em :thumbup:

The missiles only fly a few inches at best, but it was still a clever idea on TLG's part.

If you flick it hard enough (however much it hurts), they actually go a bit more than the full length of the ship.

Forcing the red piece (and the Technic mechanism along with it) feels unnatural, and several pieces are likely to break off in the process.

What I'm getting from this review is that you got a step wrong or something. Mine works really smoothly and it's quite stable when it comes to that section of the set :thumbup: .

The claw, consisting of two handlebar pieces, can't pick up the helmet from the top.

Mine does about 50% of the time. It's all about getting the angle of the bars just right :thumbup:

You may also notice that the hinge mechanisms used to flip the ceiling plates up and down are easily broken away

The phrase "open it carefully" comes to mind :sceptic:

but if you bought in '06, $200 is a bit much.

I got mine in '06, for AU$150. Perhaps I was just lucky. Oh wait, I remember - It had already been opened (only the box, at least :classic:

Swooshablilty: 3/10, be very, very careful when swooshing this set, and hold it with two hands on the bottom. Don't be surprised if a few pieces fall off.

No arguement there :tongue:

Definitely my favourite set in my collection. 9/10

P.S. sorry if I seem a bit blunt :sadnew:

Stop mocking me! :pir_bawling:

:laugh:

Very good review, JimButcher! And of such an incredible large set, they are always difficult to do (photo-wise), I remember that from my own reviews of the SES and such (and the 6211 Star Destroyer is even larger!). Anyway I always enjoy reading them.

Congrats with your graduation on the Academy!

What a great review.

Thank you so much for this.

I'll surely add this to the review index.

Sharp photos and loads of comments.

Just the way we like 'em :thumbup:

Thanks, you two! :sweet: You too, Zorro!

If you flick it hard enough (however much it hurts), they actually go a bit more than the full length of the ship.

I'll have to try it, but pretty soon, Lego is going to kill me. Razor sharp parts (:tongue:), killer flick fire missiles...

What I'm getting from this review is that you got a step wrong or something. Mine works really smoothly and it's quite stable when it comes to that section of the set :thumbup: .

Maybe. I found some of the instructions hard to follow at times, and I rushed a bit at the end.

Mine does about 50% of the time. It's all about getting the angle of the bars just right :thumbup:

I'll have to try that, as well, but getting these things "just right" still takes away from the set quality, especially since the target audience is children.

The phrase "open it carefully" comes to mind :sceptic:

Again, see the comment above.

P.S. sorry if I seem a bit blunt :sadnew:

Not at all, I always enjoy a friendly argument. :wink:

Good Review, but the lego star wars site does not have the instructions to the alternate models anymore and the other one is the Outrider or YT-2400 if you prefer.

-Edit

Found them though, right click and save as

Outrider

UCS T-16

Edited by Knightsword

Good Review, but the lego star wars site does not have the instructions to the alternate models anymore and the other one is the Outrider or YT-2400 if you prefer.

-Edit

Found them though, right click and save as

Outrider

UCS T-16

They must have just removed them, since they were there when I made the review two weeks ago... but thanks for the links, I'll add them to the review. :classic:

Perfect review.

Indexed.

Thanks! :blush:

Outstanding review Jim, nice one!

I got this set last Christmas, had tons of fun buidling it and the figure selection is fab. I do agree with what you say - much of the ship is very delicate, even with careful handling, the hinged opening plates on the main hull [most of the hinges in fact] do have a tendency to break and the bottom floor sometimes splits when lifting. But if it's just on display this isn't too much of a problem. I can't imagine it lasting long during play though...

"Sir, we've lost our bridge deflector shield."

" Intensify the forward batteries. I don't want anything to get through..."

"Sir... the floor is cracking open... pieces of hull are collapsing everywh-AAAAARRRRRGGGHHH!"

...at least that's how I imagine what'd happen :laugh:

There were a few design touches that didn't sit too well with me so I've modded mine quite a bit: created a detailed cover for the bridge for movie accuracy, increased the size of the defelctor shields, replaced much of the dark bley on the hull with light bley and added parts here and there to strengthen the structure. All in all it looks amazing now!

Do you have a site where I could find all the B-model instructions of the old Star Wars Lego sets?

Thanks!

Yuri.

Do you have a site where I could find all the B-model instructions of the old Star Wars Lego sets?

Thanks!

Yuri.

That does not have anything to do with this topic. Please avoid bumping old topics with off-topic questions. Questions like this should be posted in the general questions topic that is pinned at the top of the forum. :classic:

Nice review of a great set. Having owned 6211 but never completed the set 7/8 years ago, I have to say what a set it is. And that is impressive. Great for any OT fan, or a fan of an iconic SW ship which no doubt will leave someone outstanded just by admiring the set of this great scale