Sign in to follow this  
RTN LNA

The RTS Zavala Steamship-of-War

However, it's not common to see any side-paddle-wheel sailing steamships modeled in lego, in fact the only other one I know of is the USS Potempkin, 21 Gun Steam Sloop of War

MY BAD!!!

I forgot Bonaparte's The sidewheeler "La Gloire"

As well as Legeaux's Armed Sidewheeler - Guerre de Roue

Boy is there egg on my face!!! and really the wrong people to PO!!

If there are anymore "sailing steamships" out there please let me know!

I plead senility, and throw myself on the mercy of the court.

kurt

Those are the only sidewheelers I know of myself. It's actually a shame there are not more of them existing in Lego form as I think they are remarkable ships. Maybe we should do a contest one day in which people have to construct sidewheelers :-)

Neat idea, on the contest. Thanks for the bell insstructions, i get it now. quite ingenious i nust say. I probably would have used a nonlego part.

I always wanted to make a paddlewheeler too, however i dont have the time money or parts to invest into it. The bell is a good idea to add to my pieces that i will cast, along with an hourglass.

Hooray! More steamships! I've always had a soft spot for steam ships, and this one is great! The size is good, and it looks very good!

abraham_lincoln.png

Steamship, ON!

Hooray! More steamships! I've always had a soft spot for steam ships, and this one is great! The size is good, and it looks very good!

Here it's yee-haw! I am very glad that there is one steamship fan out there! I really like the sailing side-paddle-wheel steamships, they are neat, even though they only lasted for short time before propeller driven steamships "literally" overtook them!! I think size looks good too, but the size was set by the scale (read posts above). Thanks.

abraham_lincoln.png

Steamship, ON!

Do you know what steamship that is, or was suppose to be?

Here is my gift to you, on this appropriate day (12/25/08 info for later), the patient reader of this thread all the way down to here!

Have you ever had the problem, that when you went to attach your boom (for your mainsail or spanker) to the mast middle part (2537) , the lower attachment point was to close to the deck and the upper one was to high above it?

Well I have, and as I said in the intro post:

Things I like about this model: ...

the way the schooner's gaff sail booms attach to the masts, ...

and I solved that problem.

1230921357m_DISPLAY.jpg

part list:

• mast middle 2537
  • antenna 3957
  • cone 1 x 1 4589
  • plate 1 x 2 with 2 or 3 finger hinge 4276 or 4275
  • space robot arm 4735
  • bar 6.6L with stop 4095

This goes on the side of the mast with the hollow, which on my ships is towards the stern.

Put the antenna in first and slide it through the hole and extra 1/2 inch or so, and snug it back down at the end. Note that the hinge plate will not be straight (no room) but that's OK because you don't want your booms to be straight, lay them off to the port or starboard it will give your model more life!

And if someone asks you what that is suppose to be. You say (with a straight face!) "Why, from top it's the boom halyard rail, the pivoting boom gooseneck, cunningham downhaul, boom shock-kicker, and ending at the bottom with the attachment point for the boom vang pulley block, of course!". I guaranty that will shut them up!! Oh, and you can attach the boom vang rigging at the bottom if you want!

You can see this trick in these photos, look at the end of the boom:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=3591969

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=3592049

all the best this day!

kurt

post-1064-1230220306_thumb.jpg

Edited by RTN LNA

Absolutely gorgeous there is absolutely nothing wrong with this model. What I like is that you base your ships off of a little known navy that was important.

High praise, thanks.

I was asked once:

> And how’d
slip into the ranks?
:pir-sceptic:
:^p

brig_deck_2.jpg

I replied that:

"Actually (I guess) if you are time cruising, you would be where the action is, the texas navy makes sense, some what obscure, and thus fewer of those d#%@ time tourists crowding you out of the view! :pir-wink: ;^) "

enjoy

kurt

I got the Zavala filmed and uploaded to youtube

A video walk along, and use of the ships wheel.

I run the Lego pneumatic side-paddle-wheel walking-beam steam engines.

enjoy

Edited by RTN LNA (Lego Naval Architect)

Do you know what steamship that is, or was suppose to be?

It's the Abraham Lincoln from Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. This is the model version, used for long shots. There was a full sized version from the waterline up for deck scenes, though.

It's the Abraham Lincoln from Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. This is the model version, used for long shots. There was a full sized version from the waterline up for deck scenes, though.

Thanks for the info!!

Take a look at the Classic-Pirates frontpage :pir-wink: .

Thanks for the effort!

NOW that's cool! "Made the front page on Classic-Pirates.com"!!

Thanks to you too!

It's really cool to see the engines working and the paddles moving.

I also like the working rudder a lot! :thumbup:

Keep it up!

I do too! I wanted to have that AWE in the model. One of the replies I got (not here) was

"That you did the technic work for the engines and rudder even with the investment of time and brick for the model itself only further impresses."

This really summed-up what I was trying to achieve. The very accurate looking side-paddle-wheel walking-beam engine would have been a notable technic MOC. I build two! and put them into a ship.

Of coarse to some extent that's expressed backwards, I have know about the Zavala since I started modeling the Republic of Texas Navy and realizing it, as a LEGO MOC, has long been a goal. Years ago I bought 100 1 x 14 gray technic bricks the only time they showed up in the LEGO store's pick-a-brick, because if I did try to model the Zavala I would have to build the gundeck with them. When the viking ship set came out, a "store" on bricklink pieced out a number of the sets, I got 15 hull center sections mostly in case I wanted to try to do the Zavala.

One last word about the rudder, as I said, I build it many times trying to get it "right", but it still has a common problem that LEGO technic has called "gear lash" which I don't like and may try to fix the next time I build (or upgrade) a ship with working steering.

Capt. green hair I was not "current" enough to be aware of your work, now that I am, and now that I have read some of your posts maybe we could do something together like a ship co-design in full view here in the forum. It would need to mostly be CAD so that everyone could see. Just an idea...

I have just finished ordering all the parts (from bricklink) to build the MOC I am working on now.

all the best

kurt

First credit where credit is do, the ships bell idea I got from this thread Useful Fabuland, Belville and pieces from other themes?, Useful parts, even for SYSTEM builders!! by ZCerberus and his bell on his ship the Arbiter I/II:

wip11.jpg

Thanks for the mention Kurt, though you certainly have made some nice improvements on the design. I especially love how you used the "throw away" plug the top of the bell.

I like how truly different and functional this ship is from all the other ships on the forum.

I wonder how you would do with a brickbuilt hull... it seems as if this ship is getting a little too big for the rather limited 16 stud lay out Lego provided.

I also really like the shot of the ships lined up on the table. I like the little schooners almost more than some of the larger ships for some reason.

It is good to have a few American ship builders here on Eurobricks showing their stuff.

Capt. green hair I was not "current" enough to be aware of your work, now that I am, and now that I have read some of your posts maybe we could do something together like a ship co-design in full view here in the forum. It would need to mostly be CAD so that everyone could see. Just an idea...

Green Hair is a good choice for a project as he is definitely a great builder. Phred and Teddy have also been doing some really nice work lately as well. I am not sure how well they know any particular CAD program though.

What kind of CAD program were you thinking of?

Edited by ZCerberus

Thanks for the mention Kurt, though you certainly have made some nice improvements on the design. I especially love how you used the "throw away" plug the top of the bell.

You deserved the mention! Glad you liked my version of the ship's bell!

It now has it's own web page:

1231013472m_SPLASH.jpg

Give it a good comment as it has none! Apparently, as I am new to the "new" MOCpages, only comments count.

I like how truly different and functional this ship is from all the other ships on the forum.

I just wanted to model the Zavala!! I am glad you like it!

It also now has it's own web page RTS Zavala

I wonder how you would do with a brickbuilt hull... it seems as if this ship is getting a little too big for the rather limited 16 stud lay out Lego provided.

I have various CAD designs of brickbuilt hull, maybe I'll post one sometime.

This ship model works because the Zavala's "in-the-water" hull was very long and narrow. See this post and this one. Sorry about the talk about the Froude number, but some people might want to know.

I also really like the shot of the ships lined up on the table. I like the little schooners almost more than some of the larger ships for some reason.

I am glad you liked the fleet photo! I too like the fore-and-aft rigged ships!

I think I see a cutter and two schooners in my build future (if it stays the same, it never does!) the second schooner would not be small, perhaps 4 or 5 center sections.

It is good to have a few American ship builders here on Eurobricks showing their stuff.

I am glad to be here, and I am glad you think it's good to have me here!

Green Hair is a good choice for a project as he is definitely a great builder. Phred and Teddy have also been doing some really nice work lately as well. I am not sure how well they know any particular CAD program though.

Yes Green Hair is! I see my design esthetic in his work, i.e. my "eye" likes his work!

Did you see my post for Phred?

As for Teddy, well, he's certifiable! (definition 2).

What kind of CAD program were you thinking of?

Ldraw

I might be a great builder, but i suck at CAD. :pir-blush:

But showing the build of a ship is a nice idea, i'm kinda doing that with the one here.

That also consumes most of my lego time at the moment, so if i ever decide to use CAD, it will be at a later point.

But if you need some building tips or feedback on a WIP , you can always contact me :pir-wink:

I was very happy to see this Ship in real life! :pir-cry_happy:

I was very impressed by it, and the pictures don't do it justice!

I love how the entire Helm and deck below is completely removable.

This way if a gear or string falls out of alignment, it can very easily be put back into place.

z1_ships_wheel.jpg_thumb.jpg

I hope to do something similar with my Constitution with the capstan and steering. I have been having troubles with keeping my fully operational capstan to run flawlessly, so i'll just make it completely removable so that it can easily be fixed if one gear or string doesn't wind up correctly.

Also, I like how the paddle wheels were fully operational with the steam engine pistons. :pir-wub:

engines3.jpg_thumb.jpg

These pistons move the paddle wheels below.

d3_starboard.jpg_thumb.jpg

There was a lot of detail put into this ship, and it was awesome to get to meet Kurt in person at Brickworld.

Keep up the great work Kurt! :thumbup: