Number of Pieces: 1330

Number of Minifigs: 20

Price: 99.99 USD/ /79.99 GBP

Theme: Star Wars: Episode I

Year Released: 2007

Brickset

Folder

Bricklink Catalog

Welcome to my review of the awesome new version of the MTT tank! I hope if at first glance, this set looks good to you, by the end of this review, you'll want to go out and buy it right away. The MTT was used as a troop transport by the Trade Federation up until episode III, when they were shut down. These hover-crafts are gigantic in size and powerful in strength, although very slow.

The box

2851171131_d1e8469390_o.jpg

The standard style of box art for Star Wars sets at the time. Note the sticker that says "Includes 20 minifigures!".

Yes, the sticker does not lie, and I think this is the most minifigs we've ever gotten in a SW set besides the new Death Star.

Overview

2858395204_c835c096cb_o.jpg

This set is huge! The MTT alone makes for a great set, but the extras make it a super-sweet deal. The extras include 20 minifigures, a small hover transport, and a Droidika. You get quite a lot for only 100 dollars. :thumbup:

MTT

2847139344_e3016faee5_o.jpg

This chunky monster is mostly all brown, with a little bit of bley and trans-orange thrown in, as well as some black. It has many doors: a total of eleven, and is shaped like a "P" laying on it's back. With two huge laser cannon emplacements and a clever troop deployment system, this tank is one to be feared.

Front

2853571917_440e362206_o.jpg

Out of all of the angles, this one makes for the most imposing view of the MTT. The two flaps (or doors) open up. What do they open up? All to be revealed later, my friend. Also note the rotating ball system that is used for the cannon emplacements.

Bird's-eye view

2853508089_cebdd1720b_o.jpg

A view from above. Note how smooth and sleek the top is, as well as all of the greebling.

Back

2853508971_57b9f01f24_o.jpg

The rear part of the tank. Can you spot three doors? Again, note all of the greebling that is included all over the exterior, which offers lots of detail. :thumbup:

Inside

2846304935_b95d3b7e47_o.jpg

This is a pic of the inside of the back part. Here you can see the where the small transport is stored, some control panels, and a look at some sort of gear system.

Cockpit

2846304387_d4e8f208d1_o.jpg

This is the cockpit. Not very detailed, but that's made up for in the amount of space. I know it's hard to see in this pic, but it contains a chair for the pilot, a control panel, and secret to be revealed, all in good time.

Bird's-eye view

2854344942_b239eb65e4_o.jpg

Here is a better shot. The top slides open, as well as two side doors. But the only way down is to jump! :tongue:

Hatch

2847140436_81e317c917_o.jpg

In the back of the cockpit lies a small emergency escape hatch, in case the pilot can't get out the other ways. You might be thinking that it's a little ridiculous to put so much safety concern into one little battle droid.But these aren't just any battle droids; they're very valuable pilot droids, which take much more programing and time to make.

Inside Front

2846305125_936bd06178_o.jpg

The two side doors on the front open up to reveal the large interior. Here, you see a cool weapons storage rack, and some kind of shelf... I wonder what it is?

Deployment Rack

2846305497_fd04542274_o.jpg

Ah, it's the droid deployment rack where all of the battle droids are stored! Just turn this knob...

Knob

2846305273_515d99e2dc_o.jpg

...to activate the gears, which push out the rack...

Deployment

2846305689_1a8691f08a_o.jpg

...an Viola! the shelf slides out. This sytem is very smooth and easy, just turn the knob and the rack will slide out. The doors will be pushed open automatically. Just make sure when you roll it back in, put the bottom door up first. This is the main play function of the set, and it works really well. The two shelf's can come off easily (you'll see how this works in a minute), and can fit eight battle droids on each shelf.

Deployment (cont'd)

2847141482_75c0d7307a_o.jpg

The battle droids fold up and sit on the shelf like this. They fit snugly, and their guns are stored on the weapons rack.

Weapons Rack

2847141590_9ffb5d8cb6_o.jpg

Here is the weapons rack (the jumper pieces are supposed to be all bley, but I'm using some for something else currently). The pistols just fit in the little holes, and then it fits well in proper place within the MTT. The rack can hold a total of sixteen guns; just enough for all of the stored battle droids.

Underbelly

2853510821_bb2719266a_o.jpg

Here is what the underbelly of the craft looks like. Although in the movie, the MTT is portrayed as a hovercraft, TLG gave this wheels. Not that I'm complaining, of course, the wheels work perfectly!

Small transport

2846306383_4b0e6bd8a3_o.jpg

Here is the transport, which carries a platform that holds a communications dish and two blaster rifles. I must say that this is a good design, and the inclusion of two extra blaster rifles was very kind of TLG. :sweet:

Attachment system

2847142126_617e4aecd3_o.jpg

Here is the attachment system that was mentioned before. It is a simple, yet clever way of easily placing and removing the platforms. Four studs or placed on the bottom of the plate, and they make it secure, yet easy to remove. :thumbup: There are several different things that can go onto the transport, which you'll see now.

Transport Modes

2847142320_e829b360a3_o.jpg

The transport can also have the pilot seat as cargo, in case the pilot is needed elsewhere.

2846306875_f262a6265b_o.jpg

Or the gun rack, if some troops need a weapons drop off.

2847142662_70c492d8db_o.jpg

Or perhaps some troops need a lift?

Droidika

2847142830_61c93b4781_o.jpg

Here is another extra of the set. It is way oversized compared to the movie versions, but I can't say that it's inaccurate. It has a very clever design, especially with the feet.

Side

2847142972_f836c684ed_o.jpg

Here you can see how the arms are attached, by an Exo-Force robot arm, two Agents pistols, and a binoculars piece.

Minifigures

2847143144_f47b7ceb3a_o.jpg

Finally, the moment you've all been waiting for: the figs! There is a grand total of 20 figs! That's the most we've gotten in a SW set besides the new DS, which is very impressive. It includes 16 regular battle droids, with the new twisted arms and guns, 2 blue pilot droids (and the works), and two new dark red security droids, with the works. The security ones are especially nice, and the solid dark red is way better than just the markings on the original security droids. :thumbup: You couldn't have really asked for more in this set, and so many figs make this set extra-sweet. Although an additional yellow commander would have been the icing on the cake.

Well, that sums it up, it's time for the...

FINAL VERDICT:

Build: 7/10, to be honest, I really thought building the MTT itself was quite boring, although the pace picks up later.

Playability: 9/10, This set was basically designed for playability, as you can roll the tank around, change the transport modes, and deploy the figs. Very fun!

Swooshability: N/A

Minifigs: 9.5/10, you couldn't ask for more, except maybe a commander. Figs are all great.

Design: 10/10, really clever design on this one, and the variety of smooth and sleekness goes well with the greebling.

Price:10/10, easily a full score on this one. Normally, considering the price-per-part ratio, this would be 130 USD, but it's only 100 :sweet:.

Overall Score: 9.1, an excellent set. You get a huge tank, a great transport, 20 great figs, and a clever droidika all for only $100. I highly recommend this to any Lego fan, as it is great for parts as well. :sweet:

That's all for now folks, I hope this review was convincing. Thanks!

Edited by JimButcher
indexed

I got this set for Christmas last year, and was very pleased with it! It sits proudly on my Favorites shelf.

It's a great, solid set, and also a fantastic army builder. I kept the droideka, but broke up the hovercraft and used the pieces to amke a prison in the back. :D

"Includes 20 minifigures!"

that's really interesting for someone who wants to build a droid army , plus I think this set is really cool , lots of functionality and this little transport is nice, 10/10 !

Edited by Guss

This is a really cool set that I kind of wish I had snagged. It is way more detailed and accurate than the original one, plus comes with way more figures.

Looking great Yugioh.

I can't see the first pic...maybe because it's hosted on amazon.com :tongue:

A great set, now has a WIP review and a bunch of comments.

Perhaps you could make comparison pictures with the older version - if you've got it.

I'd like to see the two MTT next to each other.

When you're done with the review - let me know and I'll fix the title and add it to the index.

Looking great Yugioh.

I can't see the first pic...maybe because it's hosted on amazon.com :tongue:

A great set, now has a WIP review and a bunch of comments.

Perhaps you could make comparison pictures with the older version - if you've got it.

I'd like to see the two MTT next to each other.

When you're done with the review - let me know and I'll fix the title and add it to the index.

:tongue: Yugioh... :laugh:

I'll save the amazon pic to my FlickR. :classic:

Sorry, I don't have the older version... :sadnew:

Done! I'll send you a PM. :classic:

Great review.

I've added it to the index as 7662 Trade Federation MTT Review 2

Great set :thumbup:

Great review.

I've added it to the index as 7662 Trade Federation MTT Review 2

Great set :thumbup:

Thanks for the index and title change. :classic: I also added the box pic to my folder, so it should work now.

Looks great, a lot of battle droids, I've always wanted a giant tank. Is the inside moddable? I'd like to make it my sigfig's transport, plus his army of droids.

After looking through your review, I am wondering if I should get this set or not. There is a high chance for me to get this set, due to its 20 droids which is very impressive. Certainly more impressive will be the MTT itself. It looks very sturdy and firm, plus it offer high playability. Perhaps, I should plan to get it soon, while it is still available.

JimButcher, thanks for the review! :thumbup:

Looks great, a lot of battle droids, I've always wanted a giant tank. Is the inside moddable? I'd like to make it my sigfig's transport, plus his army of droids.

Yes, the inside is very modifiable. If you take out the droid deployment system, you'll have plenty of room to add whatever you want. :wink:

After looking through your review, I am wondering if I should get this set or not. There is a high chance for me to get this set, due to its 20 droids which is very impressive. Certainly more impressive will be the MTT itself. It looks very sturdy and firm, plus it offer high playability. Perhaps, I should plan to get it soon, while it is still available.

JimButcher, thanks for the review! :thumbup:

Are you a parts collector? Or do you just like a good variety of sets? Either way, I would reccomend you get it soon, as they'll be gone by December. :classic:

Are you a parts collector? Or do you just like a good variety of sets? Either way, I would reccomend you get it soon, as they'll be gone by December. :classic:

There are many themes which I love to collect as well, for parts, armies, themes, completion and etc. For Star Wars, I am getting only selected sets to build on my limited scenarios. MTT, is a great start up for a collector like me whom owned only one battledroid. :tongue:

Ah, I see, WhiteFang. Then I suggest you get this. IF you don't want the MTT, you can always take it apart for all of the useful brown pieces for your forest MOCs (or whatever you use them for) :tongue:, and you'll have 20 great battle droids leftover. :classic:

I know this was reviewed 3 months ago Jim, but I missed it the first time round.

Im very impressed by the detail you have put into this review, and as someone that is looking to pick this set up soon (on sale :wink: ) I must say it has a lot of playability as well as a stack of useful parts for MOCing! (gotta love all those cool brown slopes :grin: )

Thanks for showing every nook and cranny as well as the many different deployment capabilities of the small hovercraft.

Bravo.

Thanks, ISC! You know, I'm glad you revived this, I had a good look at this review, and realized how strange (not in a bad way) that reading my own writing is from a few months ago, which, in a way, helps me with future reviews. I ought to return the favor... :grin:

This is probably THE BEST SW set I own, it's sturdy, sleek, realistic (it really look like the movie thing!) and has a grand total of 20 soldiers!

This is what made me all the more sad when I found out that the R. Gunship just has a pathetic amount of 1 soldier... 1

The MTT is, without ANY doubt, the best army builder EVER MADE by LEGO...

Awesome review, except for the part that you were so excited about the droideka, that thing has 0 playability due to epic fragileness, and it couldn't even curl up!

Awesome review, except for the part that you were so excited about the droideka, that thing has 0 playability due to epic fragileness, and it couldn't even curl up!

Seconded. :sadnew: And it's too big! :thumbdown: I like the old ones much better, no matter nice and shiny the brown parts of the new ones are.

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

I wasn't getting excited, I merely said that the droideka was accurate. :wink: It's not that fragile, IMHO, but I would have to agree with you on the playability part- you can't do anything with it. This doesn't bother me, though, since I rarely "play" with Lego... or do I? :grin::blush:

Seconded. :sadnew: And it's too big! :thumbdown: I like the old ones much better, no matter nice and shiny the brown parts of the new ones are.

Yes, it is too big... the droideka's are supposed to be shorter than the average minifig, but that's nearly impossible without using <insert that tiresome argument> pieces. Unless someone can... I'm off to Brickshelf!

to me the droids arent minifigs so ill say that there are none in this set which is sad

DON"T HATE ME!!!!

Edited by prateek