How do you rate this set?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5?

• 5 - Outstanding
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 1 - Poor

UPDATE: I've added new amazing pictures of a MINT set, that has been for sale on ebay

6286 - Skull's Eye Schooner

Pieces: 892

Minifigs: 9

Year: 1993

Price: Lugnet and Peeron: 126.50 US Dollars

36639891784_95f6124d8a_b.jpg

The box:

23636683498_4527886b01_z.jpg

The box, and what's inside: (these are the new pictures that I saw on eBay, and asked for permission to use)

The opened box:

37488817751_09f0c393db_z.jpg

A closer look:

37457979982_d7c465ecb6_z.jpg

The bags:

37457980102_82ca6ae6f7_z.jpg

The manual:

23636683388_fafae6c3a3_z.jpg

The contents in the box:

37457980032_18b6b6d16e_z.jpg

The sails:

37457979852_1ae20244d3_z.jpg

The parts tray:

37488817501_59ae552e73_b.jpg

The minifigs:

A whopping total of 9 pirates! One of them is the very rare guy with the white shirt and brown vest - He only came with this set, and the Imperial Trading Post. I read an article on LEGO Pirates, where he was given the name, Steve, which is pretty neat.

36679448373_114fefd06f_z.jpg

37301769516_68fc6c4f4c_z.jpg

And you get a monkey and a parrot too - this is very impressive

37319082812_f848a0de43_b.jpg

The interesting parts: (all pictures are from peeron)

A skull plate (comes with this set only)

4215ap30.1147504404.jpg

A compass:

x404c02.1067699230.jpg

A white "whats'er name"

4088.png

A brown ladder

6020.png

2 white modern/classic town doors

3861.png

2 blue palm tree tops: (they were only available in this set, the 6271 - Imperial Flagship and 1788 - Treasure Chest

2566.png

This one is used for pulling the anchor up from the water

2479.png

...it sits on top of this one

2460.png

A rowing boat

2551.jpg

Treasure chest and rowing boat

36639893904_dedcbb9127_b.jpg

36639891854_edab75bd57_b.jpg

The various features:

This ship has a compass next to the steering wheel

37301769186_c7a4311c53_b.jpg

Ahh - and you can lift this section off, to reveal the Captain's sparsely furnitured cabin with his blue!?! table

- a few pictures down, I will show you how to open the sides of this cabin to get better access.

37319082772_347baba99f_b.jpg

This section which I just removed has an odd postbox where you can find a glass and a gun

36639891764_5a6cc7924e_b.jpg

This is how you open the two sides of the cabin:

36639893644_e4073e9029_z.jpg

And voila!

37092701490_d533690ed8_b.jpg

36639891924_9d76ceb9e7_b.jpg

Inside the cabin, you can see a part of how the ship wheel turns the rudder at every spin 

- this grey thing moves from side to side, pushing two black planks under the cabin's floor

- they are attached to the rudder, as you will see in the next picture.

37092702510_91017e411e_z.jpg

This feature sounds great, but it takes up way too much space inside the cabin. In my opinion, it should have been left out to add a more interesting cabin.

Rudder with the black planks attached: (I like how LEGO made the rudder part red, to stay true to the colour scheme of the hull pieces)

36639893044_10248bcc77_z.jpg

This is the cabin from behind - where the boat hangs freely (attached to some space-themed tubes)

37301772006_4b1f8e55d7_b.jpg

These are the two doors to the cabin - they are a bit un-piratey I think - but I'll get to the design later

36639892644_ff1668492f_z.jpg

It's time to take little look at the front of the ship:

here's the scary looking figure head - arrr

37319082602_a2a54388d7_b.jpg

Now on to a nice feature that really saves the ship from looking too empty - the front deck

Here, closed:

36639893154_aa9a577579_z.jpg

Here, opened:

37348669901_d68a24f091_b.jpg

The anchor is attached to a string which can be rolled around a propel - personally I like the sollution with a winch - but there was no room for such a winch because the designers had the front deck be partially removable as shown in the pictures above

36639892904_901c96bbcf_z.jpg

Let's take a look at the deck with all the cannons and grey!?! cannonballs:

36639893574_dc1cddb1e0_z.jpg

This is such a great feature - the cannons move from one side of the ship to the other without any problems:

36639892874_c8457e9916_z.jpg

36639892814_62f45f4841_z.jpg

And there it is, ready to gun down the Carribbean Clipper:

36639892754_bb471e9fbf_z.jpg

Many Pirate fans like the cannons with small wheels instead of these turntables. But in terms of playability, it's a great feature.

Notice the green flags, hiding the cannons. Looks very cool, and the ship's colour scheme from here is beautiful, I think

37092701410_7551a6f6be_b.jpg

The design:

There are a few things about this ship that I disagree with. The cabin looks great, and it's big, but I don't think that it is necessary to have the rudder being able to move. If they had changed that, there would have been better use of the space available in such a huge ship as this one.

Also, I don't think that the way the anchor gets pulled up from the water is a good sollution. But as I said earlier, they had to do something else, because they made the feature of being able to open the front of the deck to reveal a sort of basement for goods and stuff - which is very nice.

Why is there a blue table in the cabin? Why not black or grey? Or yellow to indicate gold. I know brown wasn't common in 1993, but blue is just way off. And what's with the grey cannon balls? They should be black. Good thing they are easily replaced.

The two white town-themed doors should definitely have been brown like on the BSB - but BSB is perfection, and you can't change that fact.

The colour scheme, I agree with. For the most part!

I like the red and brown mixture, and I like the use of black and white in the cabin, but they should have kept the colours more seperated, instead of using red, white, black and a little grey for the cabin. When I get some time, I want to mod the cabin and make it less colourfull - remove the red. I know that the red is used to create consistancy from the red colour on the ship hulls, but the red line looks a little odd, I think. It's broken up in a weird way on the cabin's sides.

Cabin colourscheme:

37319082502_3144d9969f_z.jpg

I love the sails. Three masts - come on - how cool is that??! This ship looks so mean and fearsome - take a look at some pictures of the sails, and the flags - and then some comparison shots of Skull's Eye and the beautiful and much smaller Carribbean Clipper

Sails:

37348669801_7ecdcb54b8_b.jpg

36639891834_79238ef495_b.jpg

Size comparison shots:

23497744948_9e2b3a4d3a_z.jpg

37348669651_ca5da8b40f_z.jpg

36639893444_6e0c3b5b99_z.jpg

Here she be in all of her glory, arrr:

37348669321_f093a6d236_z.jpg

This concludes my pictorial review.

Here are some end comments about this classic set:

Design: 9/10 - SES is IMO the third best of the pirate ships, no doubt. BSB wins any day though, and Brickbeard is only ahead of this ship because of the new colours being used today.

(UPDATE: The new Imperial Flagship is of course a totally different story, and is really a piece of art... it has definitely pushed the SES down to a fourth place on my ranking list of LEGO ships.)

Colour scheme: 7/10 When compared to Carribbean Clipper, Black Seas Barracuda and the new Brickbeard's Bounty, this ship lacks a bit - especially the cabin. It looks unfinished and even rushed, with that weird red line. 

Features: 9/10 - There are many cool features in this set, and they all add to a great experience, both in the building process and when you are finished, and you sit around messing with all the details. 

Playability: 10/10 - If you don't know how to have fun with such a huge LEGO ship, you are not a LEGO fan

Build: 10/10 - 892 pieces!! this was just a perfect building experience, and it can litterally take hours to finish. Perfect.

Price: 8/10 - I guess if the listed price of 126.50 dollars is true, then it was perhaps a little too expensive for most parents back then. 

Pieces: 10/10 Lots of rare parts with this set including the minifig "Steve" and the white Skull plate. 9 minifigs, a parrot and a monkey. Perfect. 

Thanks for looking - and let me know if I missed anything - I know that I don't have any building pictures, but there are so many pictures of all the details that this would have been too much maybe.

37319082682_8c8230e7d1_b.jpg

Edited by Lorentzen

Finally!, a review of this great set :thumbup:

It really is awesome, so many minifigs and features, and the ship is huge. Glad I got one a couple of months back :pir-grin:.

2 blue palm tree tops: (they were only available in this set, the Imperial Armada and one more set)

It's imperial flagship (not armada :pir-wink:), the other set is 1788 - pirate treasure chest. I didn't know this piece was fairly rare in the blue colour (but that could be due to me having one from 1788 since my childhood).

The yellow latticed panes are also rare (only in this set and IF), as well as the green "cannonflaps", I think they only came in this set.

Design: 7/10 - When comparing to Carribbean Clipper, Black Seas Barracuda and the new Brickbeard's Bounty, this ship lacks a bit - but it is IMO the third best of the pirate ships, no doubt. BSB wins any day though, and Brickbeard is only ahead of this ship because of the new colours being used today.

This ship lacking compared to BB, seriously?, The only ship lacking compared to BB is the CBC, and maybe RR. And I prefer Black Seas Barracuda, Skull's Eye Scooner, Imperial Flagship and Red Beard Runner (in that order) over the Caribbean Clipper. But that's just my opinion.

Edited by Fluyt

Don't get me wrong... I really do think that this ship is a beauty, but not nearly as well designed as the BSB and the new BB - it's design is however miles ahead of the almost god-awful Red Beard Runner. I didn't count the smaller ships like Renegade Runner.

7/10 is IMO a good score.

10/10 is almost impossible to get, but I think that LEGO sets such as the huge 10179 Millenium Falcon, 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer, and the new Town sets Cafe Corner etc they deserve a 10/10

Thanks for posting a review Lorentzen, I went into my dark ages about the time this ship came out and from the pictures I saw before looking at your review, I thought it was a better ship than the good old BSB, looks like I was wrong.

Still want to find myself a SES on ebay when I get back to the UK next summer though

Thanks for this review for me the best ships are Black Seas Barracuda, Skull's Eye Schooner and the custest Caribbean Clipper. :pir-wub:

Thanks for putting this review in the index - I didn't expect that

can somebody add a poll so we can rate this set?

from 1-5 like the other reviews

Don't get me wrong... I really do think that this ship is a beauty, but not nearly as well designed as the BSB and the new BB - it's design is however miles ahead of the almost god-awful Red Beard Runner. I didn't count the smaller ships like Renegade Runner.

10/10 is almost impossible to get, but I think that LEGO sets such as the huge 10179 Millenium Falcon, 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer, and the new Town sets Cafe Corner etc they deserve a 10/10

You are kinda lost mate the way the Skull's Eye Schooner was designed is really fantastic it is really awesome the way they used the space on the ship with so damn simple pieces and the configuration of arcs it is incredible it is a very original set as the Black Seas Barracuda insted of the new plastic toy which is called "ship" it doesn't even have real shape of a ship those chains insted of real strings makes it lack alot and those animated skulls makes it die into the old pan lol there is no set that can beats the Black Seas Barracuda or the Skull's Eye Schooner are totaly original sets and the most incredible of the Skull's Eye Schooner was the way that its deseigneers could spend the space with very simple pieces insted of the alot of nice and rare pieces used in the Black Seas Barracuda and way used with the arcs it is totally original and those doors on the Skull's Eye Schooner aren't so well like the ones on the Black Sseas Barracuda but gives it to the ship a very classic and elegant shape reather than the poor new "ship" if you can call that plastic toy "ship" :pir-hmpf_bad:

Finally!, a review of this great set :thumbup:

It really is awesome, so many minifigs and features, and the ship is huge. Glad I got one a couple of months back :pir-grin:.

It's imperial flagship (not armada :pir-wink:), the other set is 1788 - pirate treasure chest. I didn't know this piece was fairly rare in the blue colour (but that could be due to me having one from 1788 since my childhood).

The yellow latticed panes are also rare (only in this set and IF), as well as the green "cannonflaps", I think they only came in this set.

This ship lacking compared to BB, seriously?, The only ship lacking compared to BB is the CBC, and maybe RR. And I prefer Black Seas Barracuda, Skull's Eye Scooner, Imperial Flagship and Red Beard Runner (in that order) over the Caribbean Clipper. But that's just my opinion.

The anchor was putted in that way because there were ships from that age which had that system to hold up the anchor it is even more popular than the winch, and yes exist many space where to place the winch which takes even less space than the other system.

The anchor was putted in that way because there were ships from that age which had that system to hold up the anchor it is even more popular than the winch, and yes exist many space where to place the winch which takes even less space than the other system, this is a totally original set like the Black Seas Barracuda is so both are rated for many other fans as the best sets that lego produced idea which i share as well. No ship can beats the BSB and the SES.

You are kinda lost mate the way the Skull's Eye Schooner was designed is really fantastic it is really awesome the way they used the space on the ship with so damn simple pieces and the configuration of arcs it is incredible it is a very original set as the Black Seas Barracuda insted of the new plastic toy which is called "ship" it doesn't even have real shape of a ship those chains insted of real strings makes it lack alot and those animated skulls makes it die into the old pan lol there is no set that can beats the Black Seas Barracuda or the Skull's Eye Schooner are totaly original sets and the most incredible of the Skull's Eye Schooner was the way that its deseigneers could spend the space with very simple pieces insted of the alot of nice and rare pieces used in the Black Seas Barracuda and way used with the arcs it is totally original and those doors on the Skull's Eye Schooner aren't so well like the ones on the Black Sseas Barracuda but gives it to the ship a very classic and elegant shape reather than the poor new "ship" if you can call that plastic toy "ship" :pir-hmpf_bad:

Well - I actually made a mistake when I said, that the design was lacking... I meant the colour scheme. It's "off" here and there thoughout the ship - most notably the cabin, with too much white, red and black mixed together.

I agree with you that the actual design of the ship is amazing, and I'm in the process of modding my SES so the colours will fit my taste a little better, but I won't change the bricks with other bricks, because the DESIGN ( :pir-blush: ) is almost flawless. The arches and sails on the ship are beautiful, and I think that it's incredible how the design team made such a huge cabin. I also LOVE the deck design

So, once again - I wrongfully wrote that the design was lacking, when I really meant to say the colour scheme

A really outstanding set! I think I'ts the best ship ever made.

Nice review. And it's really picture heavy, but it's just birlliant. I think you've taken som good pics showing the ship in all it's mightyness. I miss one picture though. I'd like a picture at the very beggining of the ship. Maybe a picture of the front of the box would do. I think it would be good to start with a presentation of the ship before starting with all the small details. But it's only a minor thing.

I also like how you compared in the end. Gives a good image of how mighty and big the ship are.

Keep up the good work!

The only thing I don't like about the SES is the way the cannons move around, the mid deck section, and the color selection.. If those parts of it were built like the BSB, it'd be a far better ship. The bow and aft designs (color aside) are IMHO far superior to everything else Lego has ever done.

A really outstanding set! I think I'ts the best ship ever made.

Nice review. And it's really picture heavy, but it's just birlliant. I think you've taken som good pics showing the ship in all it's mightyness. I miss one picture though. I'd like a picture at the very beggining of the ship. Maybe a picture of the front of the box would do. I think it would be good to start with a presentation of the ship before starting with all the small details. But it's only a minor thing.

I also like how you compared in the end. Gives a good image of how mighty and big the ship are.

Keep up the good work!

Do you mean a picture of the ship? or a picture of the ship, and a picture of the front of the box? I don't have the box, so I can't add a picture of the box - but I agree that it would have been nice to start off the review with a picture of the ship or the box - especially because that huge box has many cool photos and stuff.

I'll add a picture of the ship in the beginning of this thread, later today or tomorrow

Hello again

I saw some amazing pictures on ebay, in an auction for an almost mint SES - I then asked the seller for permition to use the pictures here, and so I photoshopped some of them

They are in the first post of this thread, and they really show how magnificent this box is - mmm - I wish I had the box.

A week ago I won that very rare Pirate/Trader-guy on German ebay, so now he has joined my Skull's Eye crew...

Nice review, but I think you were too harsh on your subject! This Skull's Eye Schooner is a thing of beauty; perfection! And look at that, not one person voted a 3, not even the grand Black Seas Barracuda can boast that! What were those people thinking, though?

I love this ship so much and I stared it forever in that awesome scene it was depicted in in the old Lego catalog. I never even realized that it used wider hull sections. In fact, I had no clue how big it was as a kid. I figured it just added one more middle hull section. :pir-tongue:

Years later I finally realized my childhood dream and got one of these babies! I will add that I think it makes a more convincing Pirate ship than the BSB as that ship is far too fancy for something the pirates might have. This one is artistic but is more rugged and utilitarian, and has a more piratey color scheme as well.

I love the working wheel feature! Just... so many great things about this ship, I could go on forever! I love pushing and spinning the cannons back and forth. Another nice feature, and those holds at the front make a good place to store all kinds of booty. I also really love how the cabin stretches out so far behind the rear hull section, and the red stripe, I suppose the gray is meant to be metal armor?

Anyway, mine even had the rare figure, and I got a good deal on it, even though it was from Germany! I also like that mine had green lanterns which I think matches the ship's overall color scheme better. :pir-classic: You may want to switch yours! :pir-tongue:

SES, best pirate ship ever!

But then, I may just be a little biased for aforementioned reasons! :pir_laugh2:

It is a nice ship mate, but only thing what i wont like is the look of backgallery, it is a bit weird at me but if i wont count that, it is awesome truly a beaty vessel

ED: Sry i was wrong, i meant at i dont like Red Beard Runner Back gallery :pir-sceptic:

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker

Very good review, and a very good ship indeed!

Personally, I do not find it the best mostly because the colors are a bit off somewhere - unlike the BSB. But it sure is "outstanding"! :pir-classic:

Very good review, and a very good ship indeed!

Personally, I do not find it the best mostly because the colors are a bit off somewhere - unlike the BSB. But it sure is "outstanding"! :pir-classic:

It's supposed to be a pirate ship, matey. Personally, I find the BSB too fancy to be that! :pir-tongue:

Edited by Skulls_Eye_Schooner_Sailor

It's supposed to be a pirate ship, matey. Personally, I find the BSB too fancy to be that! :pir-tongue:

I guess for me the BSB is too fancy to be a two masted ship. I would expect that level of decor for something like a big man of war not a two masted brig. :pir-sceptic:

Well... no matter if it's a piratey ship or a regal ship, the colours are indeed a bit off. I mentioned this in my reciew, but regardless of the colourscheme, this ship is amazing. I love to build it, and I keep it nice and clean when it's built.

I'm thinking about re-vamping the review with better photos and better descriptions. Besides, there are a few bricks missing on the different photos, but I have the complete ship now with the rare "Steve" minifig. God I love this set

thanks for all the nice comments :) - but as I said, I intend to re-vamp the review sometime in the future

Edited by Lorentzen

I suppose we can just agree to disagree then, as this has been my favorite Pirate ship I dreamed of owning since childhood. :pir_laugh2:

Cool, I look forward to the revamped review! It deserves it. And yeah, your ship was definitely missing some bricks. You think you could post some box art? I think... I've only seen the back of this thing's box when I looked at it in stores as a young'in.

It had some really cool alternate designs on there. And maybe some of the flap and what's beneath it, as well.

I suppose we can just agree to disagree then, as this has been my favorite Pirate ship I dreamed of owning since childhood. :pir_laugh2:

Cool, I look forward to the revamped review! It deserves it. And yeah, your ship was definitely missing some bricks. You think you could post some box art? I think... I've only seen the back of this thing's box when I looked at it in stores as a young'in.

It had some really cool alternate designs on there. And maybe some of the flap and what's beneath it, as well.

Sadly I don't own the box myself. The pictures are taken from an ebay auction that had the box. Yeah, I'm really happy to have all the bricks now. It's nice to have this set in 100% condition - espacially with Steve, the un-piratey pirate

Thanks for the review (I know its old), this is another classical set that I would love to buy but can't afford. I'll get it someday though :thumbup:

Edited by Ratshot

great review! i absolutely love this pirate ship! i think its the best one.i really like the color scheme and also the cabin,i like how that red line goes along the ships hull and then continues up to the cabin,designers knew what they were doing really.many people also disagree with those green flags for cannon opening,but if you try and put there all types of colors you will finally realize that the green ones are best for this ship :D