Sign in to follow this  
Oky

Little Deaths: EB server issues

Sinner's Tech Tip of the Day: If that happens (on EB or any site) press "back", copy your post, save to a text file, and try again later. If you can't do that use another browser, such as Opera, that lets you do this.

I've tried it before and it screws up with all this other stuff added to it... :pir-hmpf_bad:

Also I didnt even get to do it because the page didnt even load after I pressed the post button so I just closed it after waiting a good 30 mins and turning the internet connection on & off

Sinner's Tech Tip of the Day: If that happens (on EB or any site) press "back", copy your post, save to a text file, and try again later. If you can't do that use another browser, such as Opera, that lets you do this.

Exactly what I did when the server wasn't working yesterday. Did the slowness have to do with all of the traffic (possibly from the PTV voting)?

I noticed that when your at a topic, it doesn't show who's browsing it.....I really like that feature..... :pir-cry_sad:

Exactly what I did when the server wasn't working yesterday. Did the slowness have to do with all of the traffic (possibly from the PTV voting)?

It seems to be a combination of things. Jipay did some major changes recently which may have fixed it.

I noticed that when your at a topic, it doesn't show who's browsing it.....I really like that feature..... :pir-cry_sad:

I think that's part of the recent changes. Every feature like that adds to the server load. It might get re-enabled later. At this stage we're just experimenting.

It seems to be a combination of things. Jipay did some major changes recently which may have fixed it.

I think that's part of the recent changes. Every feature like that adds to the server load. It might get re-enabled later. At this stage we're just experimenting.

Ok, Sinner, thanks for the help. :pir-classic: I hope it comes back.... :pir-sweet:

Are one of these changes reducing the amount of text shown when searching for all posts by a member?

Just wondering, maybe you guys(mods) should have a whole day or something like that where you just work on it like you have previously, I and probably many others wouldnt mind if EB wasnt ON for a day or so... :pir-look:

Just wondering, maybe you guys(mods) should have a whole day or something like that where you just work on it like you have previously, I and probably many others wouldnt mind if EB wasnt ON for a day or so... :pir-look:

Are you CRAZY?! *huh* I couldn't survive that! :pir_wacko: I need my daily dose of EB! :pir-sing:

:pir-laugh:

Seriously, though, I would be OK with that too if it helps. :pir-classic:

Are you CRAZY?! *huh* I couldn't survive that! :pir_wacko: I need my daily dose of EB! :pir-sing:

I couldn't agree less than you. The feeling of not logging in Eurobricks in just a day, will simply make me feel itch and cold. Just like the cold turkey treatment. :pir_laugh2:

On a serious note, please be assure that the staff are looking into the techincal aspects of the forum and are trying their best to provide all of you a pleasant Eurobricks experience. Please be patient with us for the tme being. Thanks.

You have an SMTP server, a POP3/IMAP server, Spam Assasin and BIND running although you don't use them. All you need is Apache and MySQL. An https daemon is running, too. Try turning off those before you cut down on IPB functions. With a tiny database like EB's (no offense) deactivating the search function won't help anything. Also, you could try limiting the ability to view images to logged in users only, maybe that helps. No guarantees, though...

Well we'll try but the "crashes" aren't caused by overload of any software we do have on our side I'm afraid.

Well, I suppose I feel a little better. Haven't been able to view Today's Active Topics for four days now. I was afraid EB cut me off!

I won't begin to pretend to understand everything it takes to run a site like EB, and therefore won't complain either. Thanks to those who are working hard to remedy the situation (and good luck :pir-classic: )

Okay, now this may not be a big deal, but...

Usually when you go to a topic, you can see the users who are browsing that topic/respective forum. However, for the last 3 weeks or so, I haven't had this feature. Is it something that I can fix or is it just something with the server?

Thanks,

`La Empray VBBN

The administrators are investigating a technical problem, and because of that have temporarily disabled a few features.

Please see here: [link]

Okay, now this may not be a big deal, but...

Usually when you go to a topic, you can see the users who are browsing that topic/respective forum. However, for the last 3 weeks or so, I haven't had this feature. Is it something that I can fix or is it just something with the server?

Thanks,

`La Empray VBBN

This was brought up in the trouble with the servers thread. If I remember correctly, the staff is trying different things out, so the servers will run better.

Ah yes, here it is:

QUOTE (Lego12 @ Dec 9 2008, 09:59 AM)

I noticed that when your at a topic, it doesn't show who's browsing it.....I really like that feature.....

QUOTE (Sinner @ Dec 8 2008, 07:02 PM)

Hope this helps! :pir-classic:

EDIT: Darn it Sir Dillon, you beat me by 30 seconds! :pir-tongue:

Ah, thanks to both of you, gentlemen. :thumbup:

Question answered!

Regards,

`La Empray VBBN

And now it's merged into the ever growing topic on EB server issues

Hi. I just wanted to say that whatever you admins are doing, it's working! I haven't had any problems with EB in the past week, and today is Sunday, the most crowded day on EB, and I still don't have any problems! :thumbup: If only you could re-enable those disabled features, all would be perfect. :pir-classic:

Keep up the good work, admins!

If only you could re-enable those disabled features, all would be perfect. :pir-classic:

Possibly in a few days. We need more time to isolate what is causing the problems. Too much change at once gives horrid data...

Possibly in a few days. We need more time to isolate what is causing the problems. Too much change at once gives horrid data...

Is it like when you teach a kid too many thing at once?

Anyway, I've noticed that it's gone heaps! faster. Also those features will be nice when they come back up so keep up the gret work! :thumbup:

Any plans on when "today's topics" function will be available again?

Yes, it is related. We are doing tests by temporary shutting down "non essential" functions to see what's the impact on our server problem. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Hey, could you please consider putting that function back up? It's been a few weeks and I hardly post on Eurobricks anymore because I can't find topics - the 'active topics' function was the only way I ever accessed the forum because there are so many categories.

Any plans on when "today's topics" function will be available again?
Hey, could you please consider putting that function back up? It's been a few weeks and I hardly post on Eurobricks anymore because I can't find topics - the 'active topics' function was the only way I ever accessed the forum because there are so many categories.

We are still experiencing a problem during certain hours of the day which is under investigation by our provider.

But since the search function/active topics doesn't seem to be the problem, it has been turned on again.