ZCerberus

The Phantom

If I may be so bold to ask gentlemen, what's a Charlie Noble?

Mr Tiber

I think I said above what it was, but I will repeat myself for you! It is the shiny stove pipe that comes out of the fore castle. There was a tradition in the Navy for trying to keep it shiny by polishing it all the time as it would get very dirty from all the smoke come out of the pipe!

I think I said above what it was, but I will repeat myself for you! It is the shiny stove pipe that comes out of the fore castle. There was a tradition in the Navy for trying to keep it shiny by polishing it all the time as it would get very dirty from all the smoke come out of the pipe!

Aahh I see... I thought you were just reffering to this pipe:

71076.png

My mistake :-$

Mr Tiber

Edited by Mr Tiber

I will make this post prettier later- important info is that I am working on the sails and rigging to finish the Phantom as well as a few other little modifications. The pics are dark and too big to post here- so I will link to a few new brickshelf ones to hold us over until I finish the ship and get some better pics.

Besides the sails which I am working on- I also revamped part of the front end and tied all the knots on the rigging- which is a giant improvement over the old rigging. Squint and maybe you will be able to tell!!

img_3130.jpg_thumb.jpg

img_3131.jpg_thumb.jpg

img_3132.jpg_thumb.jpg

img_3133.jpg_thumb.jpg

I will make this post prettier later- important info is that I am working on the sails and rigging to finish the Phantom as well as a few other little modifications. The pics are dark and too big to post here- so I will link to a few new brickshelf ones to hold us over until I finish the ship and get some better pics.

Great work Z! :pir-wub:

I'd really like to see this ship side-by-side with my ship. :pir-classic:

(maybe at a lego convention or something :pir-wink: )

This ship is very impressive. I'm very happy to see that this ship will be completed! :thumbup:

I got worried for a little while when you were away.

Hope it's ok that i put thumbs in your last post.

Wanted to give ppl a preview to what they're clicking into.

I never saw this topic before .. I'm verry happy that you updated this ! that's... wow.. an amazing ship.. it's really cool I love the sails, the figurehead, the colours scheme ( red+black = :thumbup: ) I really wish to see this ship close to a normal lego ship ! the comparison can be funny ^^

I really wish to see this ship close to a normal lego ship ! the comparison can be funny ^^

Well I do have the new Brickbeards Bounty- It wouldn't fit up on that shelf- but I will be sure to take a snap shot of the two next to each other!

I'd really like to see this ship side-by-side with my ship. :pir-classic:

(maybe at a lego convention or something :pir-wink: )

Indeed- with Pirates making a comeback maybe the theme will be the highlight of some upcoming convensions

This ship is very impressive. I'm very happy to see that this ship will be completed! :thumbup:

I got worried for a little while when you were away.

While I was away I was still building some- but mostly in other themes- I guess I got a little burned out there for a while- but time to get back to the Pirates and update some old MOCs.

Hope it's ok that i put thumbs in your last post.

Wanted to give ppl a preview to what they're clicking into.

Thanks Phred- I was in a hurry this morning and I don't have any photo editing software on my PC right now- I hope to get a few more pics eventually!

My lord...It is almost an honour when the Phantom fires your vessel to the bottom of the ocean! So many details, the unique techniques used, the rigging, the size... it's just all perfect! I've never seen a ship like this!! :pir-cry_happy:

This is a masterpiece! If LEGO releases once such a ship.......nah..they won't :pir-sceptic:

Couple more sails-- Not sure If I like the size- they are paper now (well some are) but will move to canvas when I am pleased with the shape-- if ever-

They may need to be smaller. Still missing the lower sails on the main and fore mast and some rigging on those yardarms.

Also, quick shot of Brickbeard testing his steely resolve!

phantom001.jpg

phantom002.jpg

Nice sails, too bad you had to put tape, I think you can buy bigger pieces of paper ( like A3 ) that's not very expensive ^^

Omg the size comparison is so funny! brickbeard bounty looks like a tiny boat next to your huge ship! so cool ^^

Thanks for the pics ^^

Ps ( I would like to see it next to the biggest ship I ever created... the one in my ptv entry XD )

Edited by Guss

Couple more sails-- Not sure If I like the size- they are paper now (well some are) but will move to canvas when I am pleased with the shape-- if ever-

The sails look great :thumbup:

Well the shape of them. :pir-grin:

A frigate or a ship of the line had a standard of 3 main sails per mast.

This was even true on the mighty HMS Victory.

I will cut all the sails from canvas when I am pleased with the shape. The paper ones are merely to get the size and shape right before I start cutting. The sails on the mizzen mast are canvas right now- but I do not have enough to make all the sails from canvas as it is.

I will also likely dye the sails tan to match my other ships.

I think I am going to trim the sails a bit- especially the ones on the mizzen mast- I still think the sails are a bit too big but I will make the final determination on that when I put the lower sails on the fore and main mast.

A frigate or a ship of the line had a standard of 3 main sails per mast.

Yeah- I looked at lots of sail plans- including the Soleil Royal, Victory and Constitution. The Soleil Royale and Victory are usually depicted with 3 sails on the fore and main while the constitution has a four sail plan per mast. I guess with the way I built the ship the three sail plan appeared to work the best.

Edited by ZCerberus

"Soleil Royal" without the E at the end^^

so all the sails will looks like the rear one, but in tan ? they'll look like the "latine" one ?

I also thinks that 3 sails/mast are nice for your ship, with two that's clearly not enough, and four will be too many ^^

so all the sails will looks like the rear one, but in tan ? they'll look like the "latine" one ?

ALL the sails on the mizzen mast are made from canvas. Though they both need to be trimmed a little bit

I would say tying the knots on the ratlines was the most time consuming- but it looks better when they are tied off on evey vertical string then when I initially just tried to tie them off on the ends- it did take me quite a bit to figure out how to best do it!

Hey Z,

What type of knots did you use on those ratlines?

I was thinking of using the Fishermen's Bend knot for the ends (the one on the right):

th_Fishermans-bend_and_buntline-hitch.jpg

The "hoop" in the pic is where the vertical lines are going to be and the free end of each ratline was going to face down.

Hey Z,

Nice ship so far.

How many gun-decks are going to be on it?

That's a very unique build technique for a brick-built hull *y*

It seems to be working out so far. :)

Your cathead seems pretty flimsy though |-/

Do you have the Millennium Falcon (set #4504) or Jabba's Sail Barge?

This piece is included:2991.1089274342.jpg

It's what i used on the DDW to get a solidly mounted 45 degree angle on my cathead.

P

that piece also comes in a $20.00 set called the batboat i have its a very good set for peices! :pir-classic:

Hey Z,

What type of knots did you use on those ratlines?

I was thinking of using the Fishermen's Bend knot for the ends (the one on the right):

th_Fishermans-bend_and_buntline-hitch.jpg

The "hoop" in the pic is where the vertical lines are going to be and the free end of each ratline was going to face down.

The ratlines are just tied with a standard knot but when doing so what I noticed was the string would either come out on either the bottom or the top of the knot so I coordinated it to match. The first knot I tied under the horizontal string- the next knot I tied over the horizontal string and so on and so forth- it looks much better than my first attempt...

The other thing to be cautious of is not tying them tight enough- that is where a different type of not may come in handy- self tightening knots would be very handy!

that piece also comes in a $20.00 set called the batboat i have its a very good set for peices! :pir-classic:

Or get them for less than $0.10 each on BL. :pir-wink:

The other thing to be cautious of is not tying them tight enough- that is where a different type of not may come in handy- self tightening knots would be very handy!

Sir, yes sir! :pir-classic:

I was wondering if i could get a close up of your rigging.

(when you have time of course)

I was wondering if i could get a close up of your rigging.

(when you have time of course)

I will when I can-- the ship is receiving a bit of an overhaul all of a sudden.

New features- Rown decking, capstan in rear and sleeker (Phred inspired) masts.

New features- Rown decking, capstan in rear and sleeker (Phred inspired) masts.

Rown decking is a great idea.

I've got the same decking. :pir-grin:

Now don't go buying all of the rown plates in the US; I still need some too. :pir-tongue:

Looking forward to the upgrades and pics! :thumbup:

aphantom1.jpg

aphantom1309.jpg

sails still paper rigging not done-

first photo is not as high quality as the links. The pics are big so be warned!

img_3202.jpg_thumb.jpg

img_3208.jpg_thumb.jpg

img_3209.jpg_thumb.jpg

img_3210.jpg_thumb.jpg

img_3213.jpg_thumb.jpg

img_3239.jpg_thumb.jpg

img_3240.jpg_thumb.jpg

img_3249.jpg_thumb.jpg

img_3252.jpg_thumb.jpg

Edited by ZCerberus

Pretty big pictures indeed, you can't resize them a little?

Anyway, I've seen the first four images and the last one and I must say you have done a great job!

I've seen the ship before but with these pictures you'll see things you never knew before. I like the stairs with the railing along it, also the fences on the forecastle just look awesome. :pir-oh:

Again, very, very nicely done!! :thumbup:

Your rigging already looks fantastic, even when it's not finished yet.

The picture with the sails look awesome, that long bowsprite is very cool looking! :thumbup:

It's good to hear you'll be replacing the paper with cloth, such a beauty deserves it.

Keep it up admiral Z!

That's wonderous! how much time did it take to build that thing? It's utterly enormous! It is also beautiful. I like all the details, sails, bricks, and cannon. Building it must have been exhausting!