34 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate it?

• 5: Must Buy
    • 4: Should Buy
    • 3: Might Buy
    • 2: Maybe on sale
    • 1: I'll wouldn't buy this even if it was half price

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Welcome to my Triple 4997 review! I love this set so much I had to make all the models. Please note that I made them in reverse order to the way that they are shown so don't ask for any different photos of anything other than the Ferry. I also apologise for some of the photos; I bought a new camera recently and I have been experimenting with lighting and background. I'm happy with the Ferry photos, but not so much the airplane. Anyway, on with the show!

Model 1: Ferry

DSC00741es.jpg

Sad to say, it really is a box on wheels. It has lots of details, but from this angle it's just slab sides. Many ferries are like this but that might turn some people off this model. Also, while I like the parts, I'm a bit confused about the life rings on the side. Port holes?

DSC00736es.jpg

All the models in the set have a vehicle or two. This SUV and trailer, while quite simply built, are very effective. Sorry to say, they have no interiors.

DSC00738es.jpg

I love this life-raft. Oddly I think this helped sell the set for me!

DSC00744es.jpg

The stern doesn't really do it for me... The door/ramp doesn't do anything to keep the ship watertight!

DSC00745es.jpg

The mechanism is rather simple as well. I was expecting a bit better actually.

DSC00772es.jpg

The stacks work well however and look realistic.

DSC00751es.jpg

The bow of the ferry is one of the design highlights. Aside from jamming occasionally it works well. Being brick built makes it even more stunning.

DSC00755es.jpg

The included car and trailer go over the ramp easily...

DSC00757es.jpg

...as do any four wide vehicles.

DSC00760es.jpg

Six wides are another matter. This one just squeezes through with a few bumps.

DSC00762es.jpg

Note the axel stud; this is why six wides can't go over the ramp easily. Also note the gears; they are connected to smaller ones on the sides. While you can open or close the bow with one gear, I've found using both reduces the chance of jamming... but it could just be me!

DSC00764es.jpg

As the ramp lifts/lowers via the gears, the bow doors are moved with it. This feature was one of the main selling point of the set for me.

DSC00767es.jpg

The bow door however wastes a lot of space. Note the capstan and "anchor". Not a favourite part of the model for me.

DSC00768es.jpg

This is the main reason why I wanted this set/ I used to have a grand total of zero inverted windshields, now I have 7! (When I made a tug boat last year I had to build the bridge upside-down!) I haven't tried, but I doubt a minifig would work well inside. It does look good though. The navigation lights are a nice touch.

DSC00769es.jpg

The life boat berth is a bit unrealistic; you would need a crane to get this in the water...

DSC00770es.jpg

No need for side thrusters for this lady! It's quite fun to spin...

Model thoughts

It's a nice model, but it seems to me that the main points were the bow doors and the vehicles, and the rest was an afterthought. I still like it though.

Model 2: Hovercraft

DSC00548es.jpg

Ahh, the classic British transport ferry; this is quite clearly a SRN4. I wish I went on one of these fine beasties... although I doubt I would have kept my lunch down! What? I'm doing a review? Oh. Anyway, here it is!

DSC00572es.jpg

No special opening method for this model; just clips used as hinges.

DSC00546es.jpg

Nice clear vehicle deck!

DSC00573es.jpg

The backs is done much the same as the front.

DSC00549es.jpg

The one includes two cars. I like the side details of the hovercraft.

DSC00553es.jpg

I don't like this car very much. The front is weird...

DSC00555es.jpg

This one I didn't like at first, but it grew on me. I think it's supposed to be a hot-rod.

DSC00556es.jpg

There isn't much detail inside... nor any room for humans. This flight better be carrying a lot of sick bags!

DSC00558es.jpg

Aside from a few proportion issues, the resemblance is good. (The ramps are too tall and start too low, and the cab is too tall.)

DSC00559es.jpg

The engines look good... even though they are in the wrong place.

DSC00561es.jpg

In case it isn't clear, this model is not mini-fig scaled...

DSC00570es.jpg

...but it's even more fun to spin!

Model thoughts

In terms of overall looks, I prefer this to the ship. However some functionality would have been nice.

Model 3: Aircraft

DSC00479es.jpg

An aircraft built out of a ship set?! Who'd thought it was possible? The designers at TLG have been doing a great job with the Creator sets lately. As you can see in this photo, it's decently big, but not as big as I hoped. I've got no idea what it's supposed to be though; the tail shape makes it look old, but the rear door, undercarriage and the high wings are newer features...

DSC00442es.jpg

This model has a truck that fits in the back, and a small cargo deck in the front.

DSC00443es.jpg

The wing is quite sturdy, and while simple, it works well considering the type of aircraft it's based on.

DSC00444es.jpg

I like the engines.

DSC00445es.jpg

The packages are rather lame but considering the piece and size restrictions the truck is OK. It looks like a mini version of the 4955 Big Rig...

DSC00452es.jpg

The front is quite clever. I especially like the grill used as a door. There is no interior in the cockpit.

DSC00454es.jpg

The undercarriage is simple but effective. More on this later.

DSC00456es.jpg

The rear hatch is opens to reveal a cramped cargo bay...

DSC00458es.jpg

...but it's just enough room for the truck!

DSC00461es.jpg

The hatch closes up neatly. I don't like the restraint though.

DSC00465es.jpg

The side hatches close up surprisingly flush. The front cargo bay is even more cramped however...

DSC00474es.jpg

Another size comparison. I think with a bit of work you could convert this to a minifig scale aircraft.

DSC00478es.jpg

I probably should have compared it to an 80s style plane but mines currently in pieces...

DSC00487es.jpg

Ahhhgh! We can't take off as our undercarriage is too bulky!

Model thoughts

It's very good work to make an aircraft out of ship parts... but the small interior makes this cargo plane odd. It doesn't look good enough for a display piece either so I can't see many people buying this set for the plane.

Overall thoughts

Parts: I buy Creator sets for the parts. They rarely contain anything hard to use. However there's nothing special here aside from four of the new aircraft nose wheels so for some it could be more of the same. 9/10

Price: The Australian list price for this is $119.99 for 1279 parts (I got it cheaper) so its very good value. I hate to say it, but I think that the Creator sets were the only good value sets this year. I suspect that TLG have ramped up the RRP so the retailers have a higher profit margin. 10/10

Looks: None of these models are stunning in the looks department. I think my favourite is the hovercraft. 8/10

Fudge: The appeal of these sets will depend on what you buy Lego for. I doubt many will buy these as display pieces, but this is a great set for parts. While I have picked on the designs a bit, it's incredible how TLG make sets like these. When you make the main model you go "why this piece", but when you make the alt models you go "ahhhh!". My biggest complaint is that the gears are only used in the main model. 9/10

Overall: Highly Recommended. 9/10

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

Great review Sinner! I have this set as well, andhave been thinking about building the ferry. The only thing i don't like about it is that you can't fit tall vehicles inside.

A for the ferry, ya, anthing but f wide has problems getting in and out in the front of the ferry. oh well, thats why we have reverse!

Nice review Sinner! I know you were looking forward to this one. I hope you got it in the Myer sale for $79.99 :pir_wink:

I am creaking at the limits of what I can store so I had to pass on this one even at a third off. (Don't remind me of the good stuff to come in 2009... I don't even want to think about it!) I think for a kid or anyone stocking up on basic parts it's a must-have at the sale price though. The models are nice but I think I preferred last year's large tan Town House for parts and design (and it was $20 cheaper too.)

However the variety in models is great to see and I think it's nice to see some larger craft and vehicles that aren't trucks or helicopters! The camper is cute and I'll be interested to see how it compares to next year's rumoured System version.

I do like the plane though to be honest the Indy Peril in Peru one is probably a nice compromise between the huger Passenger Plane and the blockier version of 7628 which this sort of reminds me of.

A for the ferry, ya, anthing but f wide has problems getting in and out in the front of the ferry. oh well, thats why we have reverse!

:tongue: Too true!

I hope you got it in the Myer sale for $79.99 :pir_wink:

No, I got mine for $95 at Target a few months back. They were sold out fast in my Myer anyway. I did get the Agents truck for $100 at Myer though! :pir-wub:

I am creaking at the limits of what I can store so I had to pass on this one even at a third off.

Me too. It's why I didn't buy the Troll ship; I have been expecting the return of pirates and I really have room for only one more ship.

I do like the plane though to be honest the Indy Peril in Peru one is probably a nice compromise between the huger Passenger Plane and the blockier version of 7628 which this sort of reminds me of.

Yes, that's what I thought about that set at first... but I was turned off it when I found the way the windows were done. Besides; it never came to my area.

Sinner, this is a very good review! :pir-blush:

One of my Creator's wishlist. At the moment, it's a little too costly. You bought one set, and build all 3 models. Thank you so much, for doing of all of this. I am sure it have taken a lot of your time away. Among all of the 3 models, I love the ferry. The other two do not interest me much, except for the aircraft. The aircraft design looks similar to Peril in Peru. Now, I know how big this aircraft is, with the Passenger Plane by its side.

If the design of the vehicles and ferry is minifig based, it will be even better. Well, we could use some modifications though.

By the way, where is the vote? Don't you want to find out how the rest feel about this set? :pir-tongue:

Sinner, this is a very good review! :pir-blush:

Thanks!

You bought one set, and build all 3 models. Thank you so much, for doing of all of this.

I'm doing the same for the convertable. :wink:

By the way, where is the vote? Don't you want to find out how the rest feel about this set? :pir-tongue:

Yeah... suppose. :grin: I added one and gave it a 5.

Yeah... suppose. :grin: I added one and gave it a 5.

I give it a "4". I had been spending a lot on other themes/sets. :pir-tongue: In result, it caused me to have less funds to buy it.

I said I would never buy this set, I actually love it and I think it is amazing!! :pir-cry_happy::pir-wub: But I have neither the money or room at the moment :pir-cry_sad:

Thanks for the review Btw, I never really took notice til now :pir-blush:

Thank you for that fine review, Sinner. :thumbup:

When I looked at this set in the store it was really love at first sight...

All three models´re very nicely designed, but especially the ferry´s just beautiful!

Although I love my MF sets it´s clearly the CREATOR line that nowadays keeps the spirit

of 'just imagine' alive... I really wish they would put a little more weight on alternative models

within the MF based System line as well... :wub:

Thanks for the review Sinner.

I was planning on building the alternate models, but never got to it. With your review, I don't regret it.

I think you are a bit too lenient regarding the alternate models. I would have given a lower score based on their looks. None of the larger* Creator sets from 2008 have lived up to the old standards IMO.

*the small impulse Creator sets are still awesome regarding their alternate models.

a nice review of a nice set ^^

I was planning to buy it, but as there is no part that I really need, so I passed

my preferred one is the ferry , I gave this set a 4/5 ^^

Although I love my MF sets it´s clearly the CREATOR line that nowadays keeps the spirit

of 'just imagine' alive... I really wish they would put a little more weight on alternative models

within the MF based System line as well... :wub:

I couldn't agree more. I doubt they even design them anymore for non-creator sets. :pir_bawling:

I was planning on building the alternate models, but never got to it. With your review, I don't regret it.

:tongue: Yeah, they aren't that exciting.

I think you are a bit too lenient regarding the alternate models. I would have given a lower score based on their looks. None of the larger* Creator sets from 2008 have lived up to the old standards IMO.

You're probably right. In hindsight 6 might have been more accurate. But I do like hovercraft a lot. I regretted building that second after I finished the ferry... :sceptic:

I was planning to buy it, but as there is no part that I really need, so I passed

Yes, I suspect a lot of people will feel that way. I, on the other hand, want more blue...

Nice review of a set I didn't even realise existed! Now I'll have to keep an eye open for it at a good price. I wouldn't even begin to have room for this, but at least I now know that it would be worthwhile at the right deal, thanks for all the detailed pics! :thumbup:

Also, while I like the parts, I'm a bit confused about the life rings on the side. Port holes?

If I had to guess, it's one of these possibilities:

1. Hey Bob, how are we going to make that side look less like a big slab? I KNOW!
  2. I can't remember, were we building a tug boat?
  3. Hmmm... it's a big boat but it needs more nautical flair! I KNOW!
  4. It's my last day on the job and I've always wanted an excuse to put toilet seats on a set!

Well, it could be one of those.

Thanks for the awesome and thorough review! I actually really like the alternative models-even the aircraft despite that it is built outside the scale of the other LEGO planes. This set fell off of my radar for some reason this year. I forgot to ask for it for Christmas and I hope it's still available. It's pretty ingenious and I appreciate that it can fit in with system scale. And I'm in the review too! That makes it truly great. :laugh: